PDA

View Full Version : Watching the bubble

mesaSteeler
09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Watching the bubble

As the Steelers head into their final preseason game, there are plenty of roster spots yet to be won. There are also a number of veterans who find themselves on the bubble with this team, a testament to how deep Pittsburgh is this season.

Here's a look at the veteran bubble guys:

Keiwan Ratliff, CB - Ratliff was brought in as Deshea Townsend insurance and just in case rookies Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett weren't ready to contribute. None of those things have happened. It may come down to keeping Ratliff, Ryan Mundy and/or Anthony Madison. Madison is a stellar special teams player.

Travis Kirschke, DL - Kirschke has been a nice find for the Steelers, helping them to a pair of Super Bowl wins. But he's also 34 and has a cranky back. If the Steelers are going to cut a lineman to keep both Ziggy Hood and Sonny Harris, it's likely to be Kirschke, not Nick Eason.

Jeremy Parquett/Jason Capizzi, OT - I know he's a favorite because he's a local guy, but Capizzi is fighting the odds. The team likes Tony Hills' feet better. Darnell Stapleton going on IR helps, though. It could come down to who plays guard better and Parquett has more experience there.

Shaun McDonald, WR - I like what McDonald brings to the table, but the team could decide that if it's going to keep Stefan Logan, it may only need four full-time receivers.

Patrick Bailey, LB - The 2008 team rookie of the year is on the bubble even though he's a very good special teams player. But all of their other backup linebackers Keyaron Fox, Andre Frazier, Arnold Harrison and Donovan Woods, are solid special teamers as well. The difference is that those other players can actually help out on defense as well. Bailey would be overmatched at this point. He's still better than Bruce Davis, though. This is where Lawrence Timmons' injury could come into play, with the team perhaps keeping an extra linebacker if it feels Timmons may miss the first couple of games.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 4:58 PM 0 comments Links to this post

truesteelerfan
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
McDonald should be our 4th Full Time receiver, Logan only should be our 5th don't you think? It sounds like a good idea to try getting the ball in his hands frequently, but not sure if we'll do it, but at his height, he might be too hard for Ben to see as a legitimate WR.

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
McDonald should be our 4th Full Time receiver, Logan only should be our 5th don't you think? It sounds like a good idea to try getting the ball in his hands frequently, but not sure if we'll do it, but at his height, he might be too hard for Ben to see as a legitimate WR.

Gotta remember Wallace too, though. This sucks - we're going to have to cut quality players any way you look at it.

Preacher
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Gotta remember Wallace too, though. This sucks - we're going to have to cut quality players any way you look at it.

I agree. And it has been said a million times before. It sure is nice having this problem.

stb_steeler
09-02-2009, 11:46 PM

What makes it even worse is seeing those good players going off and doing great things on other teams knowing, man just think if he were on our team yet.

devilsdancefloor
09-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I thikn bailey makes it and A Harrison gets cut

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Wow......I almost agree with everything Lolley says for a change.

Kirschke is old with a cranky back and should go. Bailey cant contribute anywhere other than special teams, but the 4 other backups can do both, but I think Ratliff stays and Foster is kept instead of Capizzi or Parquet.

ricksteelers55
09-03-2009, 01:10 AM
I think we should try to trade one of our WR that we think we might cut.

I could see a guy like Shaun McDonald being traded to a team like Tampa Bay where they need some speed at WR for a conditional draft pick.

they helped us last year by picking Sean Mahan's contract,we can help them by trading them a good WR for a draft pick.