PDA

View Full Version : Mahan released!!

KeiselPower99
09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Our favorite whipping boy Sean Mahan has been cut by the Bucs.

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
...look good...

...black and gold...

...vet minimum...

:coffee: (im sure the steelers arent blind to the situation if they are thinking of adding a waiver wire veteran who can back up at c/g- i dont think they are).

Steel Head
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
LMFAO

lol at all the people who were defending Mahan when he played for us, he sucks

TheWarDen86
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I doubt he wants to come back here. Didn't we trade him for a grouper sandwich or something?

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 09:29 PM
LMFAO

lol at all the people who were defending Mahan when he played for us, he sucks

And yet here it is, 2009, and arguably the biggest obstacle to a repeat and the weakest unit on the team remains the OL. Guess Mahan wasn't the WHOLE problem, huh?

Steel Head
09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
And yet here it is, 2009, and arguably the biggest obstacle to a repeat and the weakest unit on the team remains the OL. Guess Mahan wasn't the WHOLE problem, huh?

He was the worst player on the O-line. Did we win the SB with Mahan? nope. Hartwig was a huge upgrade

Why do you think we signed him to a 5 year deal and then traded him after 1 year for a measily 7th rd pick? use some common sense

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
He was the worst player on the O-line. Did we win the SB with Mahan? nope. Hartwig was a huge upgrade

Why do you think we signed him to a 5 year deal and then traded him after 1 year? use some common sense

Who was it that damn near cost us that Super Bowl with a holding call that cost us 2 points and possession?

Huge upgrade my ass. Hartwig is a stopgap.

And while I agree that Mahan did blow, I also don't think he was the whole problem with the OL.

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Huge upgrade my ass. Hartwig is a stopgap.true, but mahan was a mistake. tomlin even admitted as much by promptly getting rid of his ass.

word is he can play guard (i dont know if anyone has ever witnessed it with bullets flying).

if this is the case, and iff essex and urbick suck bad enough (which i dont think they do) he may raise an eyebrow by the steelers and still probably not get signed.

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
true, but mahan was a mistake. tomlin even admitted as much by promptly getting rid of his ass.

word is he can play guard (i dont know if anyone has ever witnessed it with bullets flying).

if this is the case, and iff essex and urbick suck bad enough (which i dont think they do) he may raise an eyebrow by the steelers and still probably not get signed.

I agree, Mahan did suck. I'm just saying he wasn't the entire problem up front, that's all. I'll also admit that I'm spoiled. I grew up watching the likes of Webster and then Dirt at center. After that, a guy like Hartwig leaves a person wanting, you know?

KeiselPower99
09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I dont think he would come back here anyway. Wasnt he pissed off after Hartwig was given the job over him

HometownGal
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Who was it that damn near cost us that Super Bowl with a holding call that cost us 2 points and possession?

Huge upgrade my ass. Hartwig is a stopgap.

And while I agree that Mahan did blow, I also don't think he was the whole problem with the OL.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

It's very refreshing to know that someone other than me and a few others around here was really paying attention instead of joining in on the scapegoating that went on with Mahan. Mahan was not - I repeat WAS NOT - a natural center. He was a guard and not everyone can play both positions. Yes - Hartwig is a teenie weenie upgrade over Mahan, but only by one pubic hair on a monkey.

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
if a pubic hair on a donkey is the difference of winning a superbowl and a 1st round playoff exit, i would like to order a whole bushel full of monkey pubes.

mahan played with veterans such as smith and simmons.

as it turns out, all three sucked and are better off replaced.

(not a slam on simmons or smith- the rooney way is to remain loyal to those who remain loyal to them- both got a second ring)

fansince'76
09-02-2009, 10:18 PM
if a pubic hair on a donkey is the difference of winning a superbowl and a 1st round playoff exit, i would like to order a whole bushel full of monkey pubes.

I think going into the playoffs almost completely healthy with a bye week to boot ('08) as opposed to being a traveling M.A.S.H. unit ('07) had something to do with it too.....

tony hipchest
09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I think going into the playoffs almost completely healthy with a bye week to boot ('08) as opposed to being a traveling M.A.S.H. unit ('07) had something to do with it too.....most definitely.

but being that mahan is currently on the street, doesnt make him any better than he was.

and as my first post on the subject suggests, i havent completely ruled him out in regards to the steelers considering him for a look-see as a dirt cheap back up swing player at G/C (although i seriously doubt it- he is familiar with the system though)

Preacher
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Why do you think we signed him to a 5 year deal and then traded him after 1 year for a measily 7th rd pick? use some common sense

:rofl:

And Hartwig was the worst starting center in the NFL for sacks-- giving up 6.5 sacks http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009pit.php

Funny, because Mahan also gave up 6.5 the year before http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/06/10/which-steelers-gave-up-the-sacks/

Watching people slice through Hartwig to get into the backfield on runs... You actually beleive he is HUGE upgrade.. while giving up the same amount of sacks?

Goodness. Now maybe I understand your hatred for Davis. Cause if 6.5 is a vast improvement over 6.5... ANYTHING is possible. :chuckle:

talk about common sense. I always thought 6.5 was EQUAL to 6.5. Who knew??

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Look at it this way. Darnell Stapleton is a younger version of Sean Mahan. A guy that is somewhat undersized and lacks the strength and power to handle big D-linemen, but is athletic enough to get to LB's and play in a zone block offense.

Bucs fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by bigger DT's in the NFC South, but thought he would be a better Center.

Steeler fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by NT's and would be a better guard. The short of it is that he would probably be better playing center in the NFC where they have fewer 3-4 schemes.

Finally, I hope Stapleton finds a home in the NFC next year too, or he will be the new whipping boy on the Steelers.

Preacher
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Look at it this way. Darnell Stapleton is a younger version of Sean Mahan. A guy that is somewhat undersized and lacks the strength and power to handle big D-linemen, but is athletic enough to get to LB's and play in a zone block offense.

Bucs fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by bigger DT's in the NFC South, but thought he would be a better Center.

Steeler fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by NT's and would be a better guard. The short of it is that he would probably be better playing center in the NFC where they have fewer 3-4 schemes.

Finally, I hope Stapleton finds a home in the NFC next year too, or he will be the new whipping boy on the Steelers.

I hope you don't think any of my previous posts were directed at you (well, except the ones where I quoted you... :wink02:). You, I think, are someone in agreement that the coaches were able to deal with Hartwig's suckage more than Mahan's suckage. Not Hartwig was a "vast improvement" over Mahan.

As far as Stapleton is concerned... I actually hope he sticks around. he helped stabililze the right side of line last year just a little bit. It is sad that he was actually an improvement over Kendall Simmons last year. He'd be a good backup to come in on spot duty. But I know that won't happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I hope you don't think any of my previous posts were directed at you (well, except the ones where I quoted you... :wink02:). You, I think, are someone in agreement that the coaches were able to deal with Hartwig's suckage more than Mahan's suckage. Not Hartwig was a "vast improvement" over Mahan.

As far as Stapleton is concerned... I actually hope he sticks around. he helped stabililze the right side of line last year just a little bit. It is sad that he was actually an improvement over Kendall Simmons last year. He'd be a good backup to come in on spot duty. But I know that won't happen.

Preach, I commend you for breaking down games this year, but I dont think you did last year. I did break down every game a couple times and Hartwig did not suck. I have no agenda or Hartwig jersey in my closet, I just call it like I saw it.

What I saw was Hartwig doing the job of handling big NT's like Shaun Rogers, Jamaal Williams and Ty Warren among others. I saw him give up sacks between he and Kemo, mostly because Kemo never seemed to recognize blitzes and they were not on the same page. I also saw Darnell Stapleton pass protect well with his quick feet, but get bull rushed badly and get no push in the rushing game.

I called each preseason game last year like I saw it and can still remember the Buffalo preseason game where Leftwich throws a hitch to Nate Washington in the right flat from a 1 step drop. Jon McCargo of the Bills pushes Mahan into Leftwich and he almost doesnt get the pass off. That was the quintessential flaw in Mahan's game......he was too weak at the point of attack.

I think your "Hartwig suckage" theory is still sour grapes for those that wrongly blamed Mahan for the entire debacle in 2006, but if you broke down those preseason games as much as this year you would have seen that Mahan was often overpowered.

KeiselPower99
09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Hartwig is able to control the big NT where as Mahan couldnt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Hartwig is able to control the big NT where as Mahan couldnt.

Bingo!!!! We have a winner!! :thumbsup:

Good luck to Mahan catching on in maybe Indy, St Louis or some other team that sees a lot of 4-3 defenses.

Steel Head
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
:rofl:

And Hartwig was the worst starting center in the NFL for sacks-- giving up 6.5 sacks http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009pit.php

Funny, because Mahan also gave up 6.5 the year before http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/06/10/which-steelers-gave-up-the-sacks/

Watching people slice through Hartwig to get into the backfield on runs... You actually beleive he is HUGE upgrade.. while giving up the same amount of sacks?

Goodness. Now maybe I understand your hatred for Davis. Cause if 6.5 is a vast improvement over 6.5... ANYTHING is possible. :chuckle:

talk about common sense. I always thought 6.5 was EQUAL to 6.5. Who knew??

Did you "breakdown film" on Mahan and Hartwig?

Goodness, this may explain why you can't see how Davis isn't a good blocker too

:toofunny:

btw, that sack stat is a flawed stat and very ambiguos. trying to use it for your argument shows your ignorance

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
If we signed him for less than $2.4 million, would his dead money come off our books? Then we could just cut him again.

Steel Head
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
If we signed him for less than $2.4 million, would his dead money come off our books? Then we could just cut him again.

Do we have dead money on our books from him? We traded him but maybe we do because of the signing bonus? im not sure :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe he can join Kendall Simmons in New England. Then they can have almost half of our old sucky Oline.