PDA

View Full Version : Hampton bothered by not having new deal

thesteelersreport.com
09-03-2009, 07:30 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/september/02/hampton-bothered-by-not-having-new-deal.html

PITTSBURGH ó Casey Hampton doesnít want to leave Pittsburgh. But he holds little hope that heíll still be a Steeler past this season.

The burly nose tackle has come to that conclusion because the Steelers failed to include him in the mix of veterans who have received contract extensions this summer. He figures heíll be forced to test the open market as a free agent.

Hampton is not happy about that.

He has been a standout for the Steelers the last eight seasons. Former coach Bill Cowher used to call Hampton the best nose tackle in the NFL. Heís been to the Pro Bowl four times. Two years ago, he was named to the Steelersí 75th Season All-Time Team. Heís helped Pittsburgh advance to four AFC championship games and won two Super Bowls.

So, itís easy to understand why Hampton feels unappreciated and unwanted.

ďIíd be lying if I said it didnít bother me,Ē Hampton said. ďBut thatís part of the business. Iím not going to worry about it. Iím not going to (hold) a grudge or say I canít understand why they didnít sign me. I understand itís a business.

ďBut being here this long and just playing here for this period of time, Iím not going to lie and say it doesnít bother me because I do want to be here. I would like the security of being here. But it is what it is.Ē

Since winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers have re-signed six starters to contract extensions. The latest to do so was defensive end Brett Keisel, who got a new five-year deal reportedly worth $18.885 million that includes a $5 million signing bonus on Monday.

Other returning starters whoíve re-signed this year are wide receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller, tackle Max Starks, guard Chris Kemoeatu and linebacker James Harrison.

Because the Steelers historically havenít negotiated contracts once a season starts, Keisel is likely the last player to get an extension.

Advertisement That means running back Willie Parker, tackle Willie Colon, center Justin Hartwig, free safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed and Hampton could be unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season. They could re-sign with the Steelers, but they may get more lucrative offers elsewhere.

When asked if he expects this to be his last year in Pittsburgh, Hampton said, ďYep, itís coming down to that. If they let me get to free agency, everyone knows what itís going to be.Ē

If the Steelers donít extend Hamptonís contract between now and the season opener or next year before free agency begins, thereís a chance they could put the ďfranchiseĒ tag on Hampton.

A franchise player gets a one-year deal with a salary thatís the average of the top five salaries at his position. The average of the top five defensive tackles in the league last year was $6.06 million.

This year, Hampton will be paid $3.075 million.

When he signed his existing contract in 2005, Hampton agreed to a five-year deal worth $22.75 million that included a $6.975 million signing bonus.

Hampton, who turns 32 on Thursday, says that despite his disappointment over his contract issues, heís primed to regain his Pro Bowl form of 2003, í05, í06 and í07.

ďThereís no question in my mind,Ē he said. ďI know what Iím capable of doing. I mean, I was nicked up last year, all banged up and played through it. Never said nothing, never complained. And Iím feeling really healthy this year, and I feel like when Iím healthy, it could get ugly (for the centers he plays against).

ďSo, weíll see. I feel real good. Iím feeling all right. Iím just trying to win another Super Bowl, man. Thatís my main thing.Ē

Wednesday September 2, 2009 12:24 AM

wootawnee
09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Yea Casey.......You was all nicked up bro......You get healthy this year and go back to the islands in Februrary.....I see you there.......Casey to stay in the burgh you gotta really want to stay in the Burgh, cause it will be alot easier to get a deal for more loot in another town......You won't have to do nothing ...but get to free agency, and that is what will happen......To stay , at your age, you gotta work it out like Hines and Smitty did.......This way is a little harder cause you gotta do some negotiating, but that is what it takes to keep a championship team together..............Going with the flow will get you right out a town, like floating down the river.....The river will take ya but the towns gonna stay, and you can watch it go as you cruise down stream........Some times you gotta row that boat brother.......That will keep you in the burgh......Whatever you want bro..........It's all good........

BlastFurnace
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I would franchise Casey. He's too valuable in the middle to let go.

WeegiesWarriors
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
I would franchise Casey. He's too valuable in the middle to let go.

I doubt he'd be down with the franchise tag. Do that and we'll have a mess. If he is truly that valuable then he's worth offering an extension.

Sign the guys still producing or develop and replace. It's the Steeler way.

BlastFurnace
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I doubt he'd be down with the franchise tag. Do that and we'll have a mess. If he is truly that valuable then he's worth offering an extension.

Sign the guys still producing or develop and replace. It's the Steeler way.

Right now though, we don't have a replacement for him. We got away with it in 2004 with Hoke, but hoke was 29 then, not 34 like he is now.

steelers05
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Hamptons future with Pittsburgh will probably be determined during the upcoming seaon with the play of Ziggy Hood

MONTANA GRIZ
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Casey is very valuable to our D, but we need to hold up on signing these extensions to guys in their 30's. It's not how the Steelers roll.

thesteelersreport.com
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll leave it to the experts....

I bitched and moaned when they cut Kirkland and was proven wrong. And there have been other quesionable moves over the past few years (i.e. Faneca). But, we've got 2 rings in 3 years.

Whatever the outcome with the Big Diet, Colbert & Tomlin have my support. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

Steel Head
09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
let's look at the good news.....since this is a contract year for Hampton, i think we'll see a dominant all-pro year from the Big Snack :tt03:

fansince'76
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
let's look at the good news.....since this is a contract year for Hampton, i think we'll see a dominant all-pro year from the Big Snack :tt03:

Yep, that's the way I'm approaching it. I don't think they'll meet his salary demands and I also agree with WW that he won't cop to being franchised and might cause a problem in the locker room if he is.

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow, looking at the media reports, you'd think this is a downward spiral...

Day 1: Steelers announce new deal for Keisel
Day 2: Hampton taking it in stride, not upset
Day 3: Is Hampton going to be cut?
Day 4: Hampton not taking it in stride, is pissed off
Day 5: Steelers are probably not re-signing Hampton
Day 6: Hampton suicidal over contract issue
Day 7: Steelers are definitely not re-signing Hampton, no way no how
Day 8: Coked-up Hampton goes on cheeseburger binge, demands trade to Raiders
Day 9: Steelers trade Hampton to Raiders
Day 10: Hampton even more suicidal

Fire Haley
09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
It will be sad to see Casey go.

But next year's draft has a bumper crop of DT's.

I present to you...

Big Snack II

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//catch_all/nfl_image/t_cody_100x125.jpg

Terrence Cody

College: Alabama
Height/Weight: 6-3 5/8, 370

Cody is in his second year at Alabama after playing junior college football in Mississippi. Coach Nick Saban made Cody lose 50 pounds before he would allow him to play last fall. He was named first-team All-SEC in 2008. He has good quickness for the position and will play the run well, but is not a pass rusher, which makes him a two-down player. This is a massive man. He is a mid-to-low first-round pick.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010DT.php

SteelTalons
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM

I present to you...

Big Snack II

Terrence Cody

Cody is in his second year at Alabama after playing junior college football in Mississippi. Coach Nick Saban made Cody lose 50 pounds before he would allow him to play last fall. He was named first-team All-SEC in 2008. He has good quickness for the position and will play the run well, but is not a pass rusher, which makes him a two-down player. This is a massive man. He is a mid-to-low first-round pick.

Bigger Snack

I want this guy... But because of that it will never happen. Oakland needs a NT bad, so unless we trade up or Al Davis is really that stupid. No dice.

Hell I couldn't mind them trading up to get this guy. We could let Hampton go, let Hoke start... Get Cody ready, once Hoke's contract runs out. In goes Super Snack.

I mean he's taller than Casey, and he weights a fair bit more. But there again Oakland needs a NT and Al likes guys with a lot of size to them for that position.

OneForTheToe
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Bigger Snack

I want this guy... But because of that it will never happen. Oakland needs a NT bad, so unless we trade up or Al Davis is really that stupid. No dice.

Hell I couldn't mind them trading up to get this guy. We could let Hampton go, let Hoke start... Get Cody ready, once Hoke's contract runs out. In goes Super Snack.

I mean he's taller than Casey, and he weights a fair bit more. But there again Oakland needs a NT and Al likes guys with a lot of size to them for that position.

Maybe we could sign and offer Hampton next year to the Raiders, along with some magic beads, and see if the senile old reptile will bite on a trade for their draft pick?

Fire Haley
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
He is a mid-to-low first-round pick

Raiders will be drafting high in the top 10 again - he's safe

fansince'76
09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Maybe we could sign and offer Hampton next year to the Raiders, along with some magic beads, and see if the senile old reptile will bite on a trade for their draft pick?

Depends - what's Hampton's 40 time? :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Depends - what's Hampton's 40 time? :chuckle:

If we tell old Al it is 4.39 he won't know the difference.

SteelTalons
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
He is a mid-to-low first-round pick

Raiders will be drafting high in the top 10 again - he's safe

True but this is the team that drafted a kicker in the first round. So logic be damned... I think the biggest reason if any for Oakland not drafting him would be it would make to much sense.

Al is allergic to anything that makes sense. Knowing him he'll waste their 1st round pick on the guy with the fastest 40time. They are saying he's a low to mid round pick, but I doubt this guy is gonna be around that long personally. :noidea:

I hope he's around for us to nab him but who knows... Odds are we will be grabbing someone else, I don't really care who it is as long as they do the job. But Monster Snack would be nice.

LVSteelersfan
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Why in the heck would a franchise tag make anyone mad if they are making 3.8 mil and will get over 6 mil for a year? That is just stupid to get poed about that.

Fire Haley
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I hope he's around for us to nab him but who knows... Odds are we will be grabbing someone else, I don't really care who it is as long as they do the job. But Monster Snack would be nice.

If you look in that link I gave - he's only the #3 rated DT so far. There's a ton.
We'll see how they play this year.

fansince'76
09-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Why in the heck would a franchise tag make anyone mad if they are making 3.8 mil and will get over 6 mil for a year? That is just stupid to get poed about that.

At 32 years old, he will be looking for one last multi-year deal, not a one-year franchise tender, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Hampton's really making more like $5 million a year. The writers ignore his signing bonus and just talk about yearly base salary when they want us to gawk at how little a player is making comparatively. Then they throw in the signing bonus, roster bonuses, etc., when they want us to gawk at how much a player is overpaid.

Basically, the franchise tag wouldn't be that big of a raise for Casey, and he'll probably want a deal that lasts far longer than he can realistically play at a high level, with the corresponding fat signing bonus. He wants a contract that will theoretically pay him $11.2 million a year when he's 37, at which point of course he'll be retired, but he will have gotten at least a couple million of that from an inflated signing bonus that leaves his team with a crippling cap hit. We aren't going to do that.

pancake
09-03-2009, 04:11 PM

I present to you...

Big Snack II

Terrence Cody

We need a left tackel too bad to go after another DL... I say we offer Big Snack an extension, that is also a home town discount. If he takes it, great!!! If not, then we get by with Hoke the best we can, till a more suitable replacement is found...

Steelerfreak58
09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I would hate to see Big Snack leave but business is business and the team is spending as wisely as it can. The FO obviously knows how to draft, FA market, and develop players so I have zero complaints (well maybe Starks but that is for another thread...):wink02:

truesteelerfan
09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
It doesn't sound to me like the snack will give us a hometown discount as he keeps mentioning "We all know what that means" when alluding to free agency.

I don't think he's Tomlin's favorite player, last year show up out of shape, this year was ok as far as that goes, but he admits he doesn't work out much in the offseason compared to many other players in this league. That 370 lb DT does look intriguing to me....He could be a great addition to a run defense...don't know anything about him except whats on this thread...but come on, maybe get us a 400 pounder? That would be hard to move...Casey last preseason?

SteelTalons
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
It doesn't sound to me like the snack will give us a hometown discount as he keeps mentioning "We all know what that means" when alluding to free agency.

I don't think he's Tomlin's favorite player, last year show up out of shape, this year was ok as far as that goes, but he admits he doesn't work out much in the offseason compared to many other players in this league. That 370 lb DT does look intriguing to me....He could be a great addition to a run defense...don't know anything about him except whats on this thread...but come on, maybe get us a 400 pounder? That would be hard to move...Casey last preseason?

After looking at the DT's coming up this year. Most are floating around 300, a few at 295, others at 310-325 range. This dude is just huge as hell. And the crazy part is he can get heavier, they made him loose 50pounds in Alabama if I understand correctly before they'd let him play, lol.

Probably out of concern for his health. Ether way at 370, the guys a monster in terms of size.

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
After looking at the DT's coming up this year. Most are floating around 300, a few at 295, others at 310-325 range. This dude is just huge as hell. And the crazy part is he can get heavier, they made him loose 50pounds in Alabama if I understand correctly before they'd let him play, lol.

Probably out of concern for his health. Ether way at 370, the guys a monster in terms of size.

It does look like Cody is the only true 3-4 nose tackle that would be ready right out of school. Something tells me he might go even higher than they're projecting -- all it takes is one team to take a stab at him.

looks like our options are either sign Casey; trade up to draft Cody; cross our fingers and hope Hood is good enough to play DT after all; cross our fingers and hope Hoke can fill in for a year or so and we can draft someone else; or .. or ... well, otherwise, we're screwed.

Still, I think the odds of at least one of those plans working are pretty high.

GridironWarrior
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Another sign that Kiesel's extension was a waste. So that leaves Hampton, Clark, and Reed who all should have been resigned instead of Brett. The guy does nothing for the D and they never miss a beat without him.

OX1947
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
In lue of Goodell's comments about having an uncapped 2010 season, it is starting to make sense to me now why the Steelers seem to be signing all their guys to long term deals.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Another sign that Kiesel's extension was a waste. So that leaves Hampton, Clark, and Reed who all should have been resigned instead of Brett. The guy does nothing for the D and they never miss a beat without him.

Kiesel is well worth 3.5 million a year. One of the reasons the Steelers are so successful, where so many other teams fail (yes, I am talking about you Dan Snyder), is that our FO understands it''s not just about the Super Star Pro Bowl players. The Steelers lock up players that are important contributors to the team as well as many of our star players. This approach provides stability and continuity so that we don't start every year with 4 or 5 new players on offense and defense trying to figure out their roll on the team.

At 5 million Keisel is not a great player, but at 3.5 he looks pretty good.

madsteelerfan51
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
It looks like Hampton will be staying with us link down below

Steelers | Re-signing Hampton a priority
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:46:01 -0800

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II said one of the team's top priorities in the offseason is re-signing impending free-agent DT Casey Hampton.

madsteelerfan51
01-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II said one of the team's top priorities in the offseason is re-signing impending free-agent DT Casey Hampton.

zulater
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM

It's a two way street. Casey has to be open to what the Steelers idea of a reasonable offer is as well.

LVSteelersfan
01-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I hope Casey stays. Maybe a two year contract. It is not worth doing any more than that.

Steeldude
01-17-2010, 02:16 PM
ah, he's bothered. well, the steelers weren't too happy with your off-season work ethic.

i wish hampton would get back to 330.

7willBheaven
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
This post was from like 5 months ago...so i'm sure he's moved on from the fact that he didnt get a new deal before the season started.

madsteelerfan51
01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
:tt02:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/16/steelers-want-casey-hampton-back/?related=1

steelerdude15
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
That's good news, he's an important part of the defense.:tt02:

madsteelerfan51
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes he is, I was really worried for a minute that his contract wasn't extended before the season started, I just hope everything works out and the can come to an agreement that Hampton will be happy with.:helmet:

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
I hope Big Snack will be back.

Hotrodder07
01-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Good news. I was afraid that we would be without our anchor in the middle next year. Hopefully we could get him back in Black and Gold for not too much money.

Steeldude
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
losing hampton only hurts in terms of depth.

lionslicer
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
If Hampton doesn't want to leave pittsburgh, he'll take a pay cut. :P

Galax Steeler
01-18-2010, 04:26 AM
I don't see them giving him a huge contract if they can meet somewhere in the middle then Hampton will be back in Black and Gold.

vrabinec
01-18-2010, 07:36 AM

This past year was the contract year. He is a free agent unless they sign or franchise him. And IMO, if they franchise him, he won't play anyway (he'd be foolish to). So, it's either sign him, or watch him walk away,.

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
If Hampton doesn't want to leave pittsburgh, he'll take a pay cut. :P unlike aaron smith, who said he would retire before going to another team, fat snack has already said he wouldn't mind playing for the texans. i guarantee no less than a half a dozen teams that run the 3 - 4 D alone , would be more than happy to throw 6 - 7 mill a year at fat snack...:popcorn:

Texasteel
01-18-2010, 08:26 AM
unlike aaron smith, who said he would retire before going to another team, fat snack has already said he wouldn't mind playing for the texans. i guarantee no less than a half a dozen teams that run the 3 - 4 D alone , would be more than happy to throw 6 - 7 mill a year at fat snack...:popcorn:

You have any idea how many years he wants MOP.

Stlrs4Life
01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
That link is from profootball talk. I'll wait for a better source.

WH
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm just going to respond to the title of the thread without reading it.

Hey, Casey, the FO didn't bitch publicly when your fat ass shows up to camp 20 pounds overweight year after year.... STFU and let them do their jobs.

X-Terminator
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm just going to respond to the title of the thread without reading it.

Hey, Casey, the FO didn't bitch publicly when your fat ass shows up to camp 20 pounds overweight year after year.... STFU and let them do their jobs.

You should probably read the thread and note the dates.

WH
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Dates shmates, i'm having a bad day

nikstar
01-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Find someone to trade up with and draft Cody
Problem Solved

Hopefully than Hampton will lower his price to like 4 mil and stay for a superbowl?
Draft a second round corner and sign fa safety help...
scrum other picks on o/d line members/fillers
Might cost the Rooneys a little money but isn't that why they changed all the ownership?
If theres no cap it would cost like an additional 5-15 million but would probably win a superbowl

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Find someone to trade up with and draft Cody
Problem Solved

More like trade down and get Cody. He looked fat, slow, out of shape and unable to play more than 3 consecutive snaps in the BCS game.

I think Cody is going to take his shirt off at the combine and drop in the 2nd round. I hope we pass on him.

markymarc
01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I really hope we don't end up taking Cody in the draft. I would rather have Dan Williams.