PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Difference in the Steelers under Tomlin vs Cowher

BlastFurnace
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
This is not a Cowher bashing thread. I loved Cowher as a Coach....and I still think he's one of us...but...there are things that Tomlin has brought to the table that I absolutely love with the team. There were many things that Cowher brought to the table that Noll's team did not. But for Tomlin and Cowher, I feel there are some differences...such as:

1. Roster spots are truly open on this team - I think there are fewer givens on this team than before. Sure, there are players that will make the roster no matter what, but there are also plenty of veterans that truly have to earn their positions every single year.

2. Special Teams - I don't ever remember ST being a strength under Cowher. I feel it is now.

3. Confidence - until 2005, I always felt that the team played tight in big games. I don't see that with Tomlin. The Steelers play with an edge...an unwavering confidence now.

I do feel I need to be fair with Cowher though in this respect...Cowher didn't have a QB like Ben for most of his tenure. When Ben came along, the Steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and won the SB in 2005. Who knows what a healthy Ben would have done in 2006. Tomlin has the benefit of having Ben in his prime during his tenure.

BKAnthem
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Cowher also had no problems getting rid of an inefective coach...He fired Kenny Jackson as WR coach after 1 season as i recall

steelers05
09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Cowher and Tomlin are different coaches, bottom line is we Steeler Fans are very fortunate with our Head Coaches

The Lakelander
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
As for playing in big games with swagger and confidence, that's dead on! I hated (dreaded) heading onto a big game when Cowher was here. You just knew something was going to go critically wrong.

As for the special teams being a "strength" under Tomlin, at least on the surface it appears to be the goal, but last year is not exactly a glaring example. The coverage teams are solid, but that's been the extent of it thus far.

I have a very high opinion of Tomlin. I think he's the perfect coach for the Rooney's to have hired in a town with such high demands for excellence.

Cowher was a great motivator of his defenses, but he was a lousy in-game decision maker. I hear people complaining about the play calling under Arians, but under Cowher there were some gawdawful moments where I was just sick to my stomach. Tomlin doesn't give me those same feelings ... not yet anyways.

slippy
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
i loved cowher too (except in championship games), but he never tried to get a decent quarterback (rumor is cowher wanted an o-lineman instead of ben).

their answer was to draft a project in the second round named kordell stewart and stick with him way too long.

i understand getting a very good QB in the draft is a crapshoot, but they didn't even seem to try.

also, there were more exciting/entertaining wins last year than in all of cowher's 15 years.

slippy
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
don't get me wrong, i thought cowher was great for the team and the best option for us for 15 years, but tomlin is quickly making me forget the chin.

kind of like james harrison has out portered joey porter.

wootawnee
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
In 92 the team was suffering.......Chaz was getting tired and couldn't do the things he used to and sometimes your heart just leads you into a new direction.........Along came Cowher.......He brought new life into the team with his youth....He was the highest stunrg guy in the league and the burgh needed him........He never had a great qb........Great qb's win titles.....He never had the offensive mind either.....He was a linebacker and that is just how it was........The defense got back to its old ways.......Then along came Jerome and really helped things out on that side of the ball......But deep in the playoffs you gotta have the balance that we never had then and we suffered, cause the best d's in the league in those deep playoff games can stuff the run........And that is what we were, just like the early 70 Steelers before Swanny And Stalls........By 05, finally Coach figured out how to let go of the reins a bit and let his O cooridinator and his other coaches lead a little more.,...He figured out the winning methods of the great coaches in the past and was not such a control freak like in the past.......Plus he had a fresh young qb who could pull stuff out of his @$$ that the greats always did so this made things more comfy for ole BIlly Boy......In 06 you could tell he and his family were over it, and the team needed a new direction.........Mikey freshened things up a bit and brought some old school things back to the mix that were lacking....along with alot of new school stuff.......You could see it in the players disposition that first 07 season......Tyrone Carter's is the first that comes to mind to me.....He was all tense all of the time on Bill's teams, now he looks alot more relaxed and I think the whole team is that way......Plus everyone is growing and learning how to play in the pinch without panicing, like we used to when we were behind late in the game.......Remember we all are just people who learn alot even as coaches and owners and players and whoever.......as life goes on........Just keep on learning from everybody and teach when you can and that is how we all become fullfilled with our lives.........I love football.....Its the greatest game ever.........

The_WARDen
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
In 92 the team was suffering.......Chaz was getting tired and couldn't do the things he used to and sometimes your heart just leads you into a new direction.........Along came Cowher.......He brought new life into the team with his youth....He was the highest stunrg guy in the league and the burgh needed him........He never had a great qb........Great qb's win titles.....He never had the offensive mind either.....He was a linebacker and that is just how it was........The defense got back to its old ways.......Then along came Jerome and really helped things out on that side of the ball......But deep in the playoffs you gotta have the balance that we never had then and we suffered, cause the best d's in the league in those deep playoff games can stuff the run........And that is what we were, just like the early 70 Steelers before Swanny And Stalls........By 05, finally Coach figured out how to let go of the reins a bit and let his O cooridinator and his other coaches lead a little more.,...He figured out the winning methods of the great coaches in the past and was not such a control freak like in the past.......Plus he had a fresh young qb who could pull stuff out of his @$$ that the greats always did so this made things more comfy for ole BIlly Boy......In 06 you could tell he and his family were over it, and the team needed a new direction.........Mikey freshened things up a bit and brought some old school things back to the mix that were lacking....along with alot of new school stuff.......You could see it in the players disposition that first 07 season......Tyrone Carter's is the first that comes to mind to me.....He was all tense all of the time on Bill's teams, now he looks alot more relaxed and I think the whole team is that way......Plus everyone is growing and learning how to play in the pinch without panicing, like we used to when we were behind late in the game.......Remember we all are just people who learn alot even as coaches and owners and players and whoever.......as life goes on........Just keep on learning from everybody and teach when you can and that is how we all become fullfilled with our lives.........I love football.....Its the greatest game ever.........

ever heard of a period? sentence? paragraph?

Steely McSmash
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Who wants Tyrone Carter to be relaxed?

Steely McSmash
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
What I really love about Tomlin is his approach to answering questions. He has a very straight forward philosophy and clearly has thought through the challenges.

In the Cowher days he didn't think the whole thing through and when he answered or dodged questions it wasn't based on first principles.

I also think Cowher was more of a hot and cold emotional motivator vs Tomlin.

I love that clip of when Cowher almost tackled that guy running down the sideline.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I would have to agree.

I loved Cowher, but I hated his "Run, run, pass, punt" method of offense. I hated how he never wanted a true franchise quarterback.

I do however wish that Tomlin would nix an obvious bad play call by Arians every now and then...like when he calls a draw play out of the shotgun on third and four.

But Tomlin brought in fresh air that was needed after the debacle that was 2006. I don't think Whisenhut or Grimm would have brought it. Yeah they did in Arizona, but Arizona was the polar opposite of Pittsburgh.

SteelerEmpire
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
This is not a Cowher bashing thread. I loved Cowher as a Coach....and I still think he's one of us...but...there are things that Tomlin has brought to the table that I absolutely love with the team. There were many things that Cowher brought to the table that Noll's team did not. But for Tomlin and Cowher, I feel there are some differences...such as:

1. Roster spots are truly open on this team - I think there are fewer givens on this team than before. Sure, there are players that will make the roster no matter what, but there are also plenty of veterans that truly have to earn their positions every single year.

2. Special Teams - I don't ever remember ST being a strength under Cowher. I feel it is now.

3. Confidence - until 2005, I always felt that the team played tight in big games. I don't see that with Tomlin. The Steelers play with an edge...an unwavering confidence now.

I do feel I need to be fair with Cowher though in this respect...Cowher didn't have a QB like Ben for most of his tenure. When Ben came along, the Steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and won the SB in 2005. Who knows what a healthy Ben would have done in 2006. Tomlin has the benefit of having Ben in his prime during his tenure.

I strongly agree with you on # 3... Confidence !!! Whatever you are in your head.... IS what you will be !!! Tomlin is more like "one of the guys" especially because he is closer to the player's ages. He somehow gets the players to make sacrifices I did not see them make on the field (and off) under Cowher......

http://soxanddawgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nfl_g_steelerscelebration_576.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
"its all about what you're willing to do."

pancake
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I loved Cowher Power!!!!

I was not big on Tomlin when he was hired, but knew the Rooneys make good decisions and now I know we are very lucky to have Mike Tomlin walk our sidelines.
:tt:

BlastFurnace
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I loved Cowher Power!!!!

I was not big on Tomlin when he was hired, but knew the Rooneys make good decisions and now I know we are very lucky to have Mike Tomlin walk our sidelines.
:tt:

I remember that 3 game winning streak to begin the 1992 season like it was yesterday. The energy that Cowher infused upon the Steeler Nation was incredible. I'll always appreciate what Cowher did for us....the "Let's Go", running up and down the sideline with the players, etc. I always felt that he changed after the 1997 season in some way or another though. I never could put my finger on it, but it was just an impression I had.

StainlessStill
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
My first thought that came to mind when comparing Tomlin's teams VS Cowher's teams, is that Mike Tomlin doesn't come out of the gates, flat. The players are ready to go and have a tremendous grasp and attitude on what they are trying to accomplish from the first whistle on.

I'm not saying Cowher's team's didn't grasp things, but many, many times we saw us walk out of the gate simply not ready to play and seemed flat and slow. Under Tomlin, you get a sense of sharpness right off the bat, which is un-deniable and encouraging to his coaching style.

thesteelersreport.com
09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
To me, the biggest difference is the way they each interact with the players...I don't think I'll ever see James Harrison and Tomlin kiss each other on the cheek.

Bottom line is they are both winners, but Cowher, IMHO, wanted to be accepted and treated as their buddy as well. Tomlin jokes around with the guys from time to time, does the fist bump thing, but he isn't looking to buddy up with anyone a la the Chin.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
To me, the biggest difference is the way they each interact with the players...I don't think I'll ever see James Harrison and Tomlin kiss each other on the cheek.

Bottom line is they are both winners, but Cowher, IMHO, wanted to be accepted and treated as their buddy as well. Tomlin jokes around with the guys from time to time, does the fist bump thing, but he isn't looking to buddy up with anyone a la the Chin.

I also think that if James Harrison committed a special teams penalty, he would tell Tomlin that "it bleepin' happens".

fansince'76
09-03-2009, 02:56 PM
...I don't think I'll ever see James Harrison and Tomlin kiss each other on the cheek..

No, I don't think so either. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OX1947
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I would have to agree.

I loved Cowher, but I hated his "Run, run, pass, punt" method of offense. I hated how he never wanted a true franchise quarterback.

I do however wish that Tomlin would nix an obvious bad play call by Arians every now and then...like when he calls a draw play out of the shotgun on third and four.

But Tomlin brought in fresh air that was needed after the debacle that was 2006. I don't think Whisenhut or Grimm would have brought it. Yeah they did in Arizona, but Arizona was the polar opposite of Pittsburgh.

I believe the conservative tag for Cowher for his 15 year career was a little mis-interpreted. Cowher unfortunately never had a great QB until his final 3 years of his coaching career. One of those years the QB was a rookie, one won a title and the other year was a plagued injury season.

1995 should have told everyone that Cowher was capable of a more open offense. O'Donnell ran the 5-wide to the super bowl after they started that season 1-4. And outcoached Barry and Dallas all the way up until Neil threw the game away. So Cowher did recognize things and adjusted unlike the Marty's and the Chuck Knox of the world. If you give Cowher Ben Roethlisberger in 1992, Cowher probably wins 2 or 3 titles. If you really think about it, Cowher may be a better coach then you really understand. The man made QB's like Neil, Kordell and Maddox into major players when they never succeeded anywhere else.

Tomlin is a great coach and is more cerebral. He has is the right guy, at the right time, with the right team.

Edman
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
It's true that Cowher didn't have the franchise QB like Ben until late in his tenure, but in reality, Cowher never really respected the QB position much. We would always look for stop gaps and retreads, not to mention Cowher thought Kordell Stewart was a Quarterback.

I definately agree with the sentiment that the Steelers seem to be better prepared for big games. The 2008 Steelers just rolled through the playoffs. They played with a killer instinct. Something I felt Cowher playoff teams (Besides the 2005 team) lacked. Whenever we would make the playoffs under Cowher, I would fear heartbreak or a disappointing effort. Like the Steelers would come into the game flat and tight and lose to teams I always felt they were better than. Have we forgotten the times Cowher was referred to as Marty Jr?

wootawnee
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Yea it took him awhile but he got there......He learned no to clinch up, and just hang loose......He let the team play ,and all the scorn went away.......

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bill-cowher-mouth.jpg

http://yinzluvsteelers.squarespace.com/storage/bill-cowher1.jpg

http://stevelutz.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cowher.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061217PD_cowher5_450.jpg

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bill-cowher-super-bowl.jpg

AllD
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Players don't need to hide behind a spit guard when Tomlin is coaching them.

T Bradshaw
09-03-2009, 10:45 PM

bingo!!!
i CANT BELIEVE COWHER KEPT HIS BUTT BUDDY dUCE sTALEY FOR SO LONG
WHAT A WASTE

stb_steeler
09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
C'mon we all know Cowher was a good coach. As Bill once said, I like our chances then and i really like our chances now. After all things could be alot worse. We could be a team that never won anything. I for one am very proud of this team and organization, of its accomplishments. Roonies havent dissapointed us yet.:tt:

The_WARDen
09-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Keep in mind that Cowher got a team quarterbacked by Kordell Stewart mind you to 2 AFCC games.