PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Okay, I understand he isn't the greatest offensive coordinator in the NFL.

I get frustrated too when he makes a stupid play call.

But honestly, he is better than a lot of the coordinators in the league.

So tell me, who would you guys that want Arians fired, want as his replacement?

And please, don't give me Gruden or Shannahan. Don't give me a guy who is unavailable. Give me someone who we would actually have a chance of getting. Not some pipe dream.

Steel Head
09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
And please, don't give me Gruden or Shannahan. Don't give me a guy who is unavailable. Give me someone who we would actually have a chance of getting. Not some pipe dream.

What teams do Gruden and Shannahan work for?

7willBheaven
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Even though they were released...i think they had years left on their contracts...kinda like Cowher...where if someone signed em before their deal is up they gotta pay a big chunk of money....at least tthats what i read somewhere a while ago.

mmalone
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM

didnt tomlin bring in shannahan this summer to get a little fire under bruces backside??? he does need a job.

:popcorn:.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM

You damn well know neither of them are taking an offensive coordinator position. Not to mention IF they did, they would be head coaches the next season somewhere else and the Steelers would be looking for a new offensive coordinator again.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Even though they were released...i think they had years left on their contracts...kinda like Cowher...where if someone signed em before their deal is up they gotta pay a big chunk of money....at least tthats what i read somewhere a while ago.

Wrong.

Cowher resigned, meaning he walked away on his own. Therefore he couldn't coach anywhere else until the beginning of this season without the team wanting to hire him having to compensate the Steelers with draft picks.

Shannahan and Gruden were both fired, therefore their contracts were terminated and they were free to sign with any team anywhere, and the team wanting the coach didn't need to compensate the Broncos or Buccaneers.

revefsreleets
09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh, my, don't you read these boards? There's 8-10 little campers on this MB ALONE who could do a better job, just ask them (but don't ask them to define a screen pass or explain the West Coast offense....no clue).

Seriously, there were some marquee names available in and around the time they hired/promoted/stuck with Arians, and they, well...stuck with Arians. It's pretty clear they are happy with him, and that they have a long-term plan that includes him...and that's good enough for me...

SteelTalons
09-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Arians doesn't bother me... Considering what he's had to work with in recent memory. The team was rather one dimensional. And his playcalling was done, to me, in a way to keep the running game relevant.

Now that the OL appears to be coming along fairly well, I'll give Coach Z some credit for that. And Davis appears to be doing reasonably at FB, with Summers possibly going to be taking over that job before long. To me, as we've seen. Arians is able to call a good game, note the 11-10 win against the Chargers last year. He's just attempting to make the best of what he has to work with.

I don't think Tomlin or the front office would be keeping the man around still if he didn't have a logical plan and wasn't making steady progress towards it. Personally... I think give it by the end of this season. If the team keeps playing very well Arians will prove to the fans, since the front office already seems to like him pretty well, that he more than capable of doing the job.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh, my, don't you read these boards? There's 8-10 little campers on this MB ALONE who could do a better job, just ask them (but don't ask them to define a screen pass or explain the West Coast offense....no clue).

Seriously, there were some marquee names available in and around the time they hired/promoted/stuck with Arians, and they, well...stuck with Arians. It's pretty clear they are happy with him, and that they have a long-term plan that includes him...and that's good enough for me...

Who was available, if you remember?

When Tomlin promoted Arians, I was fine with it. He was the offensive coordinator who was with Cleveland the one year they went to the playoffs (and almost beat us, if their defense didn't totally collapse they would have).

Obviously Tomlin didn't want to totally change the philosophy, go to something that didn't fit the players on the team.

I like the philosophy where we use the pass to set up the run now rather than the other way around. While I do miss the power run game, I think that's why we drafted Mendenhall...he can bring that back.

One problem is people are always looking for the next Jerome Bettis. But Jerome Bettis was a once-in-a-generation type of RB. We won't see another Bettis for a very long time, if ever. I loved Bettis, but there isn't a back in this league that runs like he did. I understand that, some other people need to start to.

OneForTheToe
09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Here is a good book I recommend:

Once upon a time in a land not far away there lived a quarterback named Ben who had a coordinator named Bruce.

Ben and Bruce got along well.

Ben and Bruce won a Super Bowl.

The End.

PS sequel coming in 2009.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
. While I do miss the power run game, I think that's why we drafted Mendenhall...he can bring that back.

I think Mendenhall was drafted because he was on the board. He came from a single back offense at Illinois and BA wants more of that in Pittsburgh, where it seems that Parker prefers having a lead blocker.

Basically Mendenhall fits Arians system better than Parker IMO. Otherwise, this thread does nothing but....... :stirthepot:

fansince'76
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Once upon a time in a land not far away there lived a quarterback named Ben who had a coordinator named Bruce.

The End.

Seriously, I think the importance of Ben liking Arians and his system cannot be understated.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Mendenhall was drafted because he was on the board. He came from a single back offense at Illinois and BA wants more of that in Pittsburgh, where it seems that Parker prefers having a lead blocker.

Basically Mendenhall fits Arians system better than Parker IMO. Otherwise, this thread does nothing but....... :stirthepot:

Almost every back coming out of college is coming out of a single back offense, very few college teams actually use a fullback outside of goal line/short yardage situations.

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
One problem is people are always looking for the next Jerome Bettis. But Jerome Bettis was a once-in-a-generation type of RB. We won't see another Bettis for a very long time, if ever. I loved Bettis, but there isn't a back in this league that runs like he did. I understand that, some other people need to start to.

No, they're really not. They're looking for a regular running back without huge, glaring, painful weaknesses in his game. That's all.

Believe me, no one is out here with the impression that every 250-pound RB is a future Hall of Famer, and not too many people are as hung up on having a "smashmouth style" so much as just whatever is going to consistently gain yards on the ground, which we don't.

Fire Haley
09-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I think it's time for an "Arians Only" forum.

Maybe one for Timmons too.

It gets old.

SteelTalons
09-03-2009, 04:57 PM
No, they're really not. They're looking for a regular running back without huge, glaring, painful weaknesses in his game. That's all.

Believe me, no one is out here with the impression that every 250-pound RB is a future Hall of Famer, and not too many people are as hung up on having a "smashmouth style" so much as just whatever is going to consistently gain yards on the ground, which we don't.

This

scsteeler
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I think it's time for an "Arians Only" forum.

Maybe one for Timmons too.

It gets old.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:: applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::

SteelMember
09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
What, no Chan Gailey fans?

I mean besides Cowher. :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
09-03-2009, 05:03 PM
didnt tomlin bring in shannahan this summer to get a little fire under bruces backside??? he does need a job.

:popcorn:.

huh so Shannahan also visited several other teams does that mean he interview for all those jobs and turned them all down? NOPE he is checking out model franchise to see how they draft etc etc so when he becomes a HC somewhere he can do things better. :coffee: (So nice try though! but please stop hijacking threads for your arians hating agenda please)

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Almost every back coming out of college is coming out of a single back offense, very few college teams actually use a fullback outside of goal line/short yardage situations.

Shady McCoy had FB Conredge Collins lead blocking
Knowshown Moreno had FB Brannen Southerland lead blocking.
Beanie Wells had Ryan Lukens as a FB,

So I would say "almost every back" would not be accurate.

If a back runs out of the I with a lead blocker, they pretty much just read the FB's butt and run to the hole off of the block that is made. Its why FWP spoke so highly of and lobbied for the use of Dan Kreider 2 seasons ago.

If a RB runs from a single back set, they have to read defenses and multiple linemen to find the hole. If there isnt a hole off tackle, they have to look off guard, then center and even a cutback lane.

X-Terminator
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM

The End.

This.

Sorry Arians haters, but he isn't going anywhere. He particularly won't be going anywhere if the Steelers improve on offense, which I suspect they will. So you may as well get used to it, and quit your bitching.

Steelerfreak58
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
My gripe with Arians is that he doesn't use the best TE in the league enough as an offensive weapon. That's right you heard it right here right now Heath Miller is simply the best TE in the league and he is underutilized on a regular and consistent basis.

mmalone
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
This.

Sorry Arians haters, but he isn't going anywhere. He particularly won't be going anywhere if the Steelers improve on offense, which I suspect they will. So you may as well get used to it, and quit your bitching.

your right, the season will be lighter as the schedule shows, and arians will ride it out and look better this year.

i just look at it this way.. Our Defense is #1 Our Offense is #22

Anything that makes us better should be discussed. if were all happy being #22 fine. lets play ball.

i hope tomlin doesnt think that way...

i would strive for #1 D and #1 O .. so what ever it takes to perfect my team.. is what tomlin i assume will do. thats his job.. if #22 is good enough for tomlin then things will stay the same, but something tells me tomlin isnt that kind of a thinker.

xbroughneck
09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

The End.

This.

And I still think Arians is below average. I just don't want to mess with what's obviously working.

xbroughneck
09-03-2009, 05:49 PM
your right, the season will be lighter as the schedule shows, and arians will ride it out and look better this year.

i just look at it this way.. Our Defense is #1 Our Offense is #22

Anything that makes us better should be discussed. if were all happy being #22 fine. lets play ball.

i hope tomlin doesnt think that way...

i would strive for #1 D and #1 O .. so what ever it takes to perfect my team.. is what tomlin i assume will do. thats his job.. if #22 is good enough for tomlin then things will stay the same, but something tells me tomlin isnt that kind of a thinker.

Imagine where we'd be if we didn't have a QB that could improvise as well as Ben does?

NJarhead
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
This week's S.I. has an article that interviews Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and our own Big Ben. Ben stated that he calls his own plays 40% of the time and Arians merely reminds him to run once in a while and not to forget a play or two that they practiced during the week.

I didn't like that we abandonded the true FB position but we still won a championship so who am I to complain.
What I also try to remind myself of is what he accomlished with the 2002 Browns. "Chicken salad out of Chicken sh*t" was a commonly used analogy to reference this.

I'm not anti-arians. I'd just like to see us do better running the ball and protecting our QB. Not sure how much he can change that by play calling alone. .

steelreserve
09-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Jesus Christ.

no, seriously, I'd want Jesus as the OC.

he knows a thing or two about breaking tackles.

edit: "although I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference with this offensive line."

http://www.markdroberts.com/images/jesus-football-statue-4.jpg

NJarhead
09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Jesus Christ.

edit: "although I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference with this offensive line."

I do believe you are going to hell for that......offensive line comment, but probably for the post as a whole too. :chuckle:

Preacher
09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Jesus Christ.

i LOVE that pic... where did you find it? It'd be perfect for my office! Just gotta paint back and gold on Jesus!

revefsreleets
09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Beanie Wells had Ryan Lukens as a FB,

Whoops! Ryan Lukens? I don't even think he played last year, although he was on the travelling team.

Wells did run behind a FB on short yardage downs and in some aspects of their more conservative offense, but they ran a ton of single back.

Brandon Smith played FB most of the time, although there was a Frosh who got some looks...I pulled a depth chart from last year that didn't even LIST a FB...

OHIO STATE 2008 DEPTH CHART
Returning Starters/Key Players
OFFENSE
QB Todd Boeckman - Sr Robby Schoenhoft-Jr FB .. .. TB Chris Wells-Jr Maurice Wells-Sr WR Brian Robiskie-Sr Dane Sanzenbacher-So WR Brian Hartline-Jr Ray Small-Jr TE Rory Nicol-Sr Jake Ballard-Jr OT Alex Boone-Sr http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/earlybird/graphics/nfl_underclassman.gif .. OG Steve Rehring-Sr .. C Jim Cordle-Jr .. OG Ben Person-Sr .. OT .. .. K Ryan Pretorius-Sr ..

BKAnthem
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't have a problem with Arians....except that he's besties with Zierlien....

HometownGal
09-03-2009, 10:34 PM

The End.

OMG - that is EXCELLENT!!! :applaudit::hatsoff::thumbsup:

I love you to pieces, Roeth, but honestly - why stir a hornets nest when the regular season hasn't even started yet? :banging:

HometownGal
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM

WTH are numbers so important? That #22 O just won a freakin' Super Bowl!!!! :doh::banging::doh::banging:

Steelers & I
09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
This week's S.I. has an article that interviews Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and our own Big Ben. Ben stated that he calls his own plays 40% of the time and Arians merely reminds him to run once in a while and not to forget a play or two that they practiced during the week.

I didn't like that we abandonded the true FB position but we still won a championship so who am I to complain.
What I also try to remind myself of is what he accomlished with the 2002 Browns. "Chicken salad out of Chicken sh*t" was a commonly used analogy to reference this.

I'm not anti-arians. I'd just like to see us do better running the ball and protecting our QB. Not sure how much he can change that by play calling alone. .

Can you provide a link with this information? I would love the nay sayers to read it. You know, the people who constantly remind us that Ben has a speaker in his helmet and that Arians is actually calling the plays in those hurry up/no huddle situations.

Yeah boy, I think that they actually believe that they are convincing us non-believers that Ben is actually listening to Arians as he runs up the field preparing for the next snap and all the while he has to bark out orders to his offensive players prior to the snap. Oh yeah, I'm a believer.:rofl:

It's a good thing that Ben is calling the plays 40% of the time, otherwise the Steelers offense would be ranked 32nd.

Preacher
09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Can you provide a link with this information? I would love the nay sayers to read it. You know, the people who constantly remind us that Ben has a speaker in his helmet and that Arians is actually calling the plays in those hurry up/no huddle situations.

Yeah boy, I think that they actually believe that they are convincing us non-believers that Ben is actually listening to Arians as he runs up the field preparing for the next snap and all the while he has to bark out orders to his offensive players prior to the snap. Oh yeah, I'm a believer.:rofl:

It's a good thing that Ben is calling the plays 40% of the time, otherwise the Steelers offense would be ranked 32nd.

funny thing is, it cuts both ways. How do you not know that the plays that DONT work are the ones Ben calls?

You are working off an assumption that Bens calls work and Arians don't. Then using this statement to back it up.

Steelers & I
09-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Here's the link ;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1159769/4/index.htm

KING: Would you guys be better quarterbacks if you called your own plays?

ROMO: We would be the best players ever. [All laugh.] There's a time and a place for it. I think the coach trusts me.

PALMER: I would much rather have a play called [by a coach] becauseóduring a no-huddle series, for instanceóI don't know the defense's tendencies based on field position and distance, like the offensive coordinator does. He knows the data from six weeks in a row. Having a bird's-eye view from the coaches' box, seeing everything unfold up top, knowing what to expect in certain game situations ... I'd rather have his input, as opposed to calling what I feel like calling.

KING: Ben, would you want to call your own?

ROETHLISBERGER: I do.

KING: How much?

ROETHLISBERGER: About 40 percent. Would I call it all? No. I'm the most untraditional guy here. I'm the one who wants to go just play backyard.

Steelers & I
09-03-2009, 11:59 PM
funny thing is, it cuts both ways. How do you not know that the plays that DONT work are the ones Ben calls?

You are working off an assumption that Bens calls work and Arians don't. Then using this statement to back it up.

Well let me see here, :scratchchin: I would venture to say that if the no-huddle offense was unsuccessful due to Bens' play calling, then we probably wouldn't see Ben running the no-huddle offense. :mg: What's your take on it? If a player isn't very good at doing something then you wouldn't allow him to do it now would you?

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Screw the offense, the ST and Defense will rule the day.

FOX was a monster inside

I have no problem with Fox filling in for Timmons against the Titties.

Calm down, all is well.

fansince'76
09-04-2009, 12:07 AM
We run the no-huddle 40% of the time? News to me.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
5 WIDE!!!

Steelers & I
09-04-2009, 12:11 AM
We run the no-huddle 40% of the time? News to me.

Ia a QB wasn't successful at calling his own plays 40% of the time, whether it's from a no huddle OR traditional huddle offense, then the QB probably wouldn't be permitted to call 40% of the plays, now would he?. How's that? I'm sure that, in your mind, you'll have another logical answer to shoot it down.

fansince'76
09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Ia a QB wasn't successful at calling his own plays 40% of the time, whether it's from a no huddle OR traditional huddle offense, then the QB probably wouldn't be permitted to call 40% of the plays, now would he?. How's that? I'm sure that, in your mind, you'll have another logical answer to shoot it down.

Yes I'm aware of the argument - a play works, it's because our players are awesome; if a play fails it's because Arians sucks ass. And why wouldn't he be permitted to call his own plays even if unsuccessful considering they've been clueless enough to keep an absolute imbecile like Arians on the payroll as OC?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Lets hear it for the Arians nation!! :banana:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-04-2009, 12:47 AM
OMG - that is EXCELLENT!!! :applaudit::hatsoff::thumbsup:

I love you to pieces, Roeth, but honestly - why stir a hornets nest when the regular season hasn't even started yet? :banging:

Boredom! :laughing:

I still love how my question hasn't been answered yet.

Will one of the Arians haters please name who you would want to be our offensive coordinator? Like I said before, no Shannahan or Gruden...name someone who would be here for at least three years.

Steelers & I
09-04-2009, 01:32 AM

Will one of the Arians haters please name who you would want to be our offensive coordinator? Like I said before, no Shannahan or Gruden...name someone who would be here for at least three years.

Ken Anderson would be suffice for me. But then again, that's just me.

Steelers & I
09-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Yes I'm aware of the argument - a play works, it's because our players are awesome; if a play fails it's because Arians sucks ass. And why wouldn't he be permitted to call his own plays even if unsuccessful considering they've been clueless enough to keep an absolute imbecile like Arians on the payroll as OC?

I see your point. I wasn't prepared to debate with you. I was enjoying my debate with Preacher when all of sudden, CRACK! I was blindsided. :bash:

At this point I would like to crawl around on the ground long enough to find my eye glasses and then I'll be headed out of Dodge. :cya:

X-Terminator
09-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Ken Anderson would be suffice for me. But then again, that's just me.

He is likely next in line should BA move on or get canned. I think he'd be a solid choice, and it certainly would help his cause to have Ben going to bat for him.

Steelers & I
09-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Lets hear it for the Arians nation!! :banana:

:shout: :drooling::old::yawn::crutches::paperbag::eye:

mmalone
09-04-2009, 06:05 AM
WTH are numbers so important? That #22 O just won a freakin' Super Bowl!!!! :doh::banging::doh::banging:

thats right... we won the SB..

if the D wasnt #1 and was a #5 or #6 there was no super bowl...

we cant expect a #1 D every year... and if you do.. thats cool.

thats why i expect the offense to be shooting for #1 .... I think Hall of Famers make it in with Stats? They must account for something.

Our #1 stat works for the defense... we hear it all the time at game time, first words you hear are... "there" playing the #1 ranked defense tonight, its gonna be a battle out there tonight..... i love these matchups...

so why do we ignore the #22 for the offense, i dont get that...
i want #1..... 38-44 points a game.... give up 13....
:drink:

sharkweek
09-04-2009, 06:17 AM

To be fair, even our relative no name O coordinators tend to find major success and then want to go run off and be head coach in just 3 seasons, just look at Arians' predecessors (Mike Mularkey & Ken Whisenhunt). Of course Mularkey has fallen back to O coordinator...

I'm inclined to give Arians another year though. A lot of our offensive failings have revolved around our OL. Even slightly better play from that unit could turn our offense into a veritable juggernaut.

sharkweek
09-04-2009, 06:50 AM

thats why i expect the offense to be shooting for #1 .... I think Hall of Famers make it in with Stats? They must account for something.

Our #1 stat works for the defense... we hear it all the time at game time, first words you hear are... "there" playing the #1 ranked defense tonight, its gonna be a battle out there tonight..... i love these matchups...

I want a dominating offense as well, but to be fair, even a team with the best offense might not want to run up the score. High scores often go hand in hand with quick scores, and quick scores mean the other team has more time to try and answer, and thus you can get into messy shootouts. The best way to consistently win games is to control the ball. When your offense has the ball for 42 minutes while playing someone like Tom Brady and the Pats, it means they have only 18 minutes to score more points than you do...

9 minute drives might not be super exciting, but they can be far more dominating. If we could average 28 points per game (up roughly 7 ppg from last season) that would be a huge improvement and I would be extremely happy. Keep in mind that the Saints led the league last season @ 28.9 ppg.

Hammer67
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM

Me thinks this is the entire crux of the issue when people complain about the offense/Arians. I sense people think that big, HOF quality running backs fall off trees and that the Steelers should just draft or sign another.

:coffee:

HometownGal
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM

You are still throwing fantasy type numbers out there, malone, which in the grand scheme of things, doesn't mean jack. I don't give a rats ass where the Steelers units are ranked as long as they get the job done, which obviously they did last season with a "#22 ranked" offense. :banging:

I think you have grandioso expectations. I don't expect my Steelers to do anything but play hard and give 100% each and every time they are on the field. You're probably one of these fans who won't accept anything less than the Steelers winning the Super Bowl every year (though that is literally impossible) aren't ya?

mmalone
09-04-2009, 07:47 AM
You are still throwing fantasy type numbers out there, malone, which in the grand scheme of things, doesn't mean jack. I don't give a rats ass where the Steelers units are ranked as long as they get the job done, which obviously they did last season with a "#22 ranked" offense. :banging:

I think you have grandioso expectations. I don't expect my Steelers to do anything but play hard and give 100% each and every time they are on the field. You're probably one of these fans who won't accept anything less than the Steelers winning the Super Bowl every year (though that is literally impossible) aren't ya?

not me, been watching since 1969.... lots of great years.. lots of bad ones...

i just think tomlin is shooting for #1 all around ... i would...

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Two things: 1) If Arians calls 60% of the plays, and Ben 40%, can I take it that the haters think that Ben's plays are the GOOD PLAYS and Arians are the bad ones? I'm just trying to understand your delusions a little better. 2) Did you WATCH the game last night? When the offense EXECUTED, the plays worked...we called, what? 3 draw plays in a row at one point and the last one resulted in a long run by Redman. That's why we used to be able to line up and completely predictably run the ball off tackle over and over and over again, because even though the defense KNEW what was coming, the players executed and the play could not be stopped.

Play calling is secondary to execution. I made this point before...Arians spends probably 100 hours a week gameplanning based on film and what the opposing defense tends to do. He KNOWS his business, but even Bill Walsh would fail if his team FAILED to execute.

I've really had it with the CONSTANT pissing and moaning and bitching from the dullards who DON'T understand football CONSTANTLY demeaning and running Arians into the ground. HE knows 1000X more about running an offense than you do, and you DON'T know what you're talking about so PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and sacred and Holy, STOP already!!!!!!! You're embarrassing yourselves...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
To be fair, even our relative no name O coordinators tend to find major success and then want to go run off and be head coach in just 3 seasons, just look at Arians' predecessors (Mike Mularkey & Ken Whisenhunt). Of course Mularkey has fallen back to O coordinator...

I'm inclined to give Arians another year though. A lot of our offensive failings have revolved around our OL. Even slightly better play from that unit could turn our offense into a veritable juggernaut.

I was shocked when Mularkey was hired as a head coach.

As for Ken Whisenhut, I think we all knew he wasn't going to be the offensive coordinator after the 2006 season. He would have been the head coach of the Raiders if he wanted to, but he decided he didn't want that job and walked away. But there was no way in 2007 Whiz was going to be the Steelers offensive coordinator.

One thing about past offensive coordinators is that Cowher took more control over the offense than Tomlin has. Cowher told his offensive coordinators what type of offense to run. When a play was called that Cowher didn't like, it got vetoed and Cowher sent in his own play.

Milkman
09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Okay, I understand he isn't the greatest offensive coordinator in the NFL.

I get frustrated too when he makes a stupid play call.

But honestly, he is better than a lot of the coordinators in the league.

So tell me, who would you guys that want Arians fired, want as his replacement?

Jagodzinski! :rofl:

mmalone
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM

do you work for a company? do they strive to be #1...

or just strive to be good enough to keep people employed?

i always try to be at the top.. oh well... im just old school.

i just think tomlin is working to get our offense and defense to be #1 - #22 is not good.

Psyychoward86
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
God i hate these negative nancy Bruce Arian threads. And like revefsreleets said, playcalling is totally secondary to execution.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Jagodzinski! :rofl:

:rofl::laughing::toofunny::sofunny:

That was a good one!

Preacher
09-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Well let me see here, :scratchchin: I would venture to say that if the no-huddle offense was unsuccessful due to Bens' play calling, then we probably wouldn't see Ben running the no-huddle offense. :mg: What's your take on it? If a player isn't very good at doing something then you wouldn't allow him to do it now would you?

But that argument cuts both ways. If Arian's plays aren't successful, then Ben and or Tomlin wouldn't allow him to be calling them would they? Ben would keep changing them at the line, or Tomlin would step in.

That is why I keep coming back to the point that Arians calls a lot of plays that he AND Ben REALLY ARENT WORRIED about them completely working at the time. They are setup plays for later. Hey, we get a few yards, great! But this play will enable us to get 30 yards down the road... probably when Ben is in the no huddle and defenses just need to react to what they see.

So once again, I think it is much too complicated. It's not two strings sitting side by side. Its a massive quilt weaved together. Ben is successfull because of Arians, Arians is successful because of Ben. They work together, and we win games...

Now, if we can just get the offense to execute better, those plays that are called will work better, and we will win even MORE games--and by a bigger margin.

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
The workplace scenario doesn't work...success is measured by, well, SUCCESS! We won the Super Bowl. If your company makes widgets and knick-knacks and gaskets and ships all of them as well, they don't have to be #1 at making widgets AND #1 at making knick-knacks AND #1 at making gaskets AND #1 at shipping, they just need to find the right balance to be the #1 OVERALL company.

Find me ONE championship team that was #1 in every category AND has all the best coaches AND won all their games AND won the championship and I will show you a fantasy...it's never happened and it never will. So please STOP!

solardave
09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I'll admit I didn't like Arians for his play calling but it has improved somewhat. I think they could do better than Zierlin or however you spell his name.Just my opinion. He needs to teach this line to run block. after saying this I will say the o-line looked good against Buffalo. I live in Kentucky so i have to wait on the Carolina game. It'll be on NFL network Sunday at 4.

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
The real tragedy here is that when the Steelers have a much more successful offensive campaign this year, a ton of fans will either say that Arians "got better" or, more correctly (but still missing the point) that the players did a better job and give THEM all the credit...Arians is what he was, and he simply has more tools to work with now...

TackleMeBen
09-05-2009, 09:27 AM
i read somewhere that ben and arians go in and on a white board mark off the plays ben doesnt like and circle the ones he does like, so to me if this is true, it looks like ben and arians are 50/50 on deciding what plays work and what plays dont.

and as for the offense, even being ranked 22nd, does it really matter, they still won the superbowl, so who was laughing then:wink02:

mmalone
09-05-2009, 09:53 AM
But that argument cuts both ways. If Arian's plays aren't successful, then Ben and or Tomlin wouldn't allow him to be calling them would they? Ben would keep changing them at the line, or Tomlin would step in.

That is why I keep coming back to the point that Arians calls a lot of plays that he AND Ben REALLY ARENT WORRIED about them completely working at the time. They are setup plays for later. Hey, we get a few yards, great! But this play will enable us to get 30 yards down the road... probably when Ben is in the no huddle and defenses just need to react to what they see.

So once again, I think it is much too complicated. It's not two strings sitting side by side. Its a massive quilt weaved together. Ben is successfull because of Arians, Arians is successful because of Ben. They work together, and we win games...

Now, if we can just get the offense to execute better, those plays that are called will work better, and we will win even MORE games--and by a bigger margin.

So, not including no huddle... if ben is making 50% of the calls and he can change the play at the line... other than the execution of the play. are we saying that ben has
a less then stellar vision of what the defense is doing before he snaps the ball..

is he reading the defense good enough?? is he missing the blitzes and the hot receiver or the short outlet receiver...

or does he push for the bigger play and not really want to toss the short pass to the outlet receiver on the blitz... he wants more yards all the time. so he scrambles to make this happen??

wow, i think i need to start drinkin... its not even noon...:drink:

LVSteelersfan
09-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Arians sucks. It's all Willie's fault. Mendenhall is injury prone and fumbles too much. Ben holds the ball too long. Sweed drops every ball thrown to him. blah blah blah blah blah

We won the Super Bowl. I am going to quit ragging on Arians (although I am not a huge fan of his) and enjoy this team. They are AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

mmalone
09-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Arians sucks. It's all Willie's fault. Mendenhall is injury prone and fumbles too much. Ben holds the ball too long. Sweed drops every ball thrown to him. blah blah blah blah blah

We won the Super Bowl. I am going to quit ragging on Arians (although I am not a huge fan of his) and enjoy this team. They are AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

you guys bring this stuff up, im just trying to figure out what the point is??

its 50/50 ben and arians on play calling.... wow.. so..

noone has yet to explain why ben is always scrambling around like a wild man....

i know im a basher... thats the word... . but really im not a basher.. im looking for an answer...

obviously there isnt one from this board of directors and know it all's.

and to me that is blah blah blah...

its been two months and noone has come up with a reasonable explanation...

the biggest thing i hear is the same We Won the Super Bowl, blah blah blah,,,

i dont want to see ben get crushed.. so what is the deal.... he likes that.. its part of our strategy....

its not arians, its not the OL (arians says).. its not the Z guy,
its the receivers running around with their heads cut off??

just a question... why does ben have to scramble around so often...???

i dont know... does anyone...

or is it that ben always wants to make a play no matter what...
and he never gives up... maybe thats it in a nut shell.... its self inflicted..

SteelTalons
09-05-2009, 01:29 PM

If you pay to see a team play or invest time in following it, you have a right to criticize it. I mean the purpose of this board is to talk about Steeler football. What's the point if all we are gonna do is sit around and say yeah! Our OL is great, Starks is a stud, or some shit like that?

But just because they have that right, doesn't mean I don't think its stupid. A lot of the time this constant bashing is just bullshit.