PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from Steeler nation.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I am looking to buy private health insurance for my family. Thanks to our wonderful economy I have closed down my business and now work for myself as a contractor/craftsman. My wife is a nurse and the insurance offered by her employer is cost prohibitive ( $970 a month for family of 4 not counting the high deductable) and for the price it is not very good coverage.

If anyone here has some advice and more importantly hands on personal experience (good and bad) I would REALLY appreciate it. I am looking for a balance of reasonable cost and quality coverage.

****** PLEASE ****** don't turn this thread into a debate on the BS healthcare proposals. Just the pertinant info please.

THANKS !

Godfather
09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Get a critical illness policy for yourself and your wife. Those only cover major illnesses like cancer, heart attack, stroke, etc. but are a lot cheaper.

Get a high-deductible insurance plan for your kids. Those are reasonably priced (well, in Mississippi anyway).

Blue Cross/Blue Shield blows goats. It's a legalized scam. I've personally witnessed a lot of instances of them defrauding policyholders. Golden Rule also sucks. They're EXTREMELY creative when it comes to calling things "elective" or "pre-existing".

I had Humana for a while. I don't have any experience with their claims process but they do have a free 24 hour hotline you can call with medical questions.

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, high deductible plans are a good way to go (like 5k or even higher if available) in that they are relatively inexpensive and STILL cover you for catastrophic stuff...

Couple that with an HSA, which is essentially a pre-tax savings account earmarked for medical expenses only. It doens't get taxed coming in OR going out, so you can defer all those doctor visits and check-ups and stuff that normally comes 100% out of pocket with a high deductible plan with those tax free bucks, and once you reach your $5000 it's all covered...

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Try to get Kaiser if they have it in your area. They're non-profit, so they're the only ones that aren't trying to rip you off somehow.

Other than that, just make sure that you pay a flat rate for hospital visits, not a percentage. Regular doctor visits and prescriptions and the like aren't what puts you at risk of financial ruin. It's the fact that hospitals make up whatever price they want, which is usually 10-50 times more than you ought to be paying. So just remember, if your insurance covers 80% of hospital visits ... 20% of infinity is still way more than you can afford.