PDA

View Full Version : Post-Carolina thoughts

mesaSteeler
09-04-2009, 06:47 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Friday, September 04, 2009
Post-Carolina thoughts

First things first, I think the police had better get a search warrant for the NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora's house. He's been smoking some serious stuff.

LaCanfora is the bozo who reported that people he knows close to the situation have told him the Steelers are considering cutting Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton.

Let me just say this about that: There's a better chance the Steelers will sign me to play quarterback than there is that they'll cut Hampton.

To even suggest that they will borders on lunacy. In fact, the NFL Network may want to re-check LaCanfora's credentials as a reporter.

There was little doubt that Stefan Logan had earned a spot on the Steelers' roster before the 21-10 win over Carolina.

The 80-yard punt return was nice. But I was even more impressed with his crackback block in the third quarter to help spring Shaun McDonald for a big run after the catch.

Issac Redman has likely beaten out Tank Summers for the fifth running back spot as well.

Tank just didn't show enough in the two preseason game he played in, while Redman ran through the entire Carolina defense and an official to get into the end zone in the first half.

Sorry Jason Capizzi and A.Q. Shipley fans, I don't see either player making this roster.

In fact, the team took a good long look at rookie Ramon Foster at left tackle and he was fine.

Shipley, meanwhile, looks like he's bound for the practice squad.

And don't give me that stuff about somebody scooping him up. It could happen, sure, but all of those teams also passed on him six or seven times in the draft as well.

Arnold Harrison, Ryan Mundy and Travis Kirschke made strong statements against the Panthers.

Bruce Davis and Keiwan Ratliff did not.

The cutdown will come by 4 p.m. Friday. It's going to be one of the most difficult ones I've seen in 17 years of covering the Steelers.

This team is deep and talented.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 12:59 AM 2 comments Links to this post

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 07:10 AM
I agree with everything he stated.

Right on the money!

Except maybe Summers did beat out Davis last night. That to me was the job he was competing for ... the lead blocker role.

KeiselPower99
09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
the final safety spot comes down to Mundy and Roy Lewis. Both had a good game last night. Also I think what Redman did wa she ran over Carolinas first team d for that TD.

Hotrodder07
09-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I agree with everything he stated.

Right on the money!

Except maybe Summers did beat out Davis last night. That to me was the job he was competing for ... the lead blocker role.

That was the job he was competing for. It's just a matter of who the Steelers think has more importance to the team now. It seems to me that Carey Davis and Frank the Tank have just about the same blocking ability, but I think that Frank has more ability when running the ball. The last thing to consider is who does better on special teams. Carey Davis or Frank? If it were up to me, I'd keep Frank, but who knows what they'll do.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 08:32 AM
That was the job he was competing for. It's just a matter of who the Steelers think has more importance to the team now. It seems to me that Carey Davis and Frank the Tank have just about the same blocking ability, but I think that Frank has more ability when running the ball. The last thing to consider is who does better on special teams. Carey Davis or Frank? If it were up to me, I'd keep Frank, but who knows what they'll do.

dont forget the 4 or 5 year gap in age....

stlrtruck
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm sorry but from what I've seen of Summers, he's had some good blocks in the middle and he just needs to catch up to the speed of the game on some of the outside blocks that he has missed.

I think Summers could be crucial to revitalizing our running game. I can imagine Summers and McHugh in the game to act as blockers for either Parker or Moore.

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree that Summers has more upside than Davis.

Davis has stuck around here long enough man!

He's been a good Steeler ... not a great Steeler.

Just like it was when he was an undrafted rookie .... it's time another young kid gets his shot!

Davis won't get picked up by another NFL team, so even if he's sacking groceries, we can always bring him back later if Summers gets hurt.

stb_steeler
09-04-2009, 12:29 PM
the final safety spot comes down to Mundy and Roy Lewis. Both had a good game last night. Also I think what Redman did wa she ran over Carolinas first team d for that TD.

Thats gonna be a tough call. Both Mundy and Lewis were awesome. Lewis was all over the place lastnight. And mundy for the pick 6.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
For a second there I thought mesa was gonna do some talking.

I should have known better.

Rek
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Redman should be ranked higher than Moore on the RB depth chart. He is a better goal line / 3rd down back than Moore is and Russel was.

Parker and Mendenhall - Primary RBs. Great 1-2 punch
Redman - The new Gary Russell. 3rd down back.
Moore - Should be used for check-downs and screens mostly.

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Redman is better than Gary Russell. But that is not saying much. Russell sucked. Anyone who thinks Redman is going to unseat Moore is crazy. Redman may squeak by and make the team but he will not suit up for games. Frank the Tank has a better chance of suiting up because he is a FB. If he beats out Carey Davis (PLEASE) then he has more of a chance of getting playing time than Redman does. Mendenhall will get those goal line carries.

Rek
09-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Redman is better than Gary Russell. But that is not saying much. Russell sucked. Anyone who thinks Redman is going to unseat Moore is crazy. Redman may squeak by and make the team but he will not suit up for games. Frank the Tank has a better chance of suiting up because he is a FB. If he beats out Carey Davis (PLEASE) then he has more of a chance of getting playing time than Redman does. Mendenhall will get those goal line carries.

Call me crazy then. IMO, the FB is a dying breed and you will start to see it become obsolete.

stlrtruck
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Call me crazy then. IMO, the FB is a dying breed and you will start to see it become obsolete.

It will be gone long enough for people to forget about it and then some idiot will bring it back in to his offense and the media hypes will call him a genius! Then Dick LeBeau will pull out his playbooks and in 2 plays destroy the FB and the media hypes will wonder how he got to be such an awesome defensive coordinator!

steeltheone
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
So why did Gary Russell suck?

steelwalls
09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
IMO Summers gets in. The kid can throw bodies around, and he's not a bad runner. I also think he can put a hurtin on people if he gets out there on special teams.

As far as the game itself, we took it to them in a big way. Wish I could have watched it, had to listen to it on internet radio....blhaaaa

HometownGal
09-04-2009, 08:04 PM
The cutdown will come by 4 p.m. Friday. It's going to be one of the most difficult ones I've seen in 17 years of covering the Steelers.

I said precisely this last night in the Game Day thread. Tomlin was faced with a lot of difficult decisions and I can't remember any cutdown being this difficult in recent seasons. On a good note, however, it means the Steelers are pretty deep in key positions which is a huge positive. :thumbsup::applaudit: