PDA

View Full Version : Steelers make final cuts

Galax Steeler
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Running backs Carey Davis and rookie Isaac Redman, linebacker Bruce Davis and veteran cornerback Anthony Madison were among the players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin as the Steelers began reducing their roster to the 53-man limit.

Also among the 22 players who were waived is former Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, a Moon High School graduate and one of the team's seventh-round draft choices. Shipely said he was told the Steelers will try to sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Shipley is the one of two draft choices who didn't make the 53-man roster. The other is defensive end Sonny Harris, a seventh-round pick who was also cut.

Carey Davis, who started 11 of the 34 games in which he appeared the past two seasons, was waived injured by the team. He did not play in last night's 21-10 preseason victory in Carolina.

Bruce Davis was a third-round draft choice in 2008 from UCLA, where he had 25 1/2 sacks in his last two years as a defensive end.

Among other cuts were defensive tackle Scott Paxson, who was on the 53-man roster last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995619-100.stm

Galax Steeler
09-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Davis is finally gone YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!

wyn50
09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
So is Tank the new fullback?

7willBheaven
09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
From this little bit...it looks like Logan will be kept as the 5th HB...Parker, Mendy, Moore, Summers, and Logan as HBs

09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Is there a full list of cuts up anywhere yet?

Preacher
09-04-2009, 04:03 PM

That's my question.

I wonder if they are going to move McHugh to fullback? Tank ain't ready yet.

BlastFurnace
09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I really thought they would keep Sonny Harris. I'm pretty disappointed that they cut him.

BlastFurnace
09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I hope Lakelander is ok.

Steel Head
09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

he'll play some fullback and probably get some short yardage carries

remember we will also have either David Johnson/McHugh to pitch in at FB

Steel Head
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I really thought they would keep Sonny Harris. I'm pretty disappointed that they cut him.

how do you know they cut him?

thesteelersreport.com
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Summers over Redman......Does Redman make it to the PS - or will he get snapped up by someone tomorrow.

Galax Steeler
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I hope Lakelander is ok.

I thought he was going to make it as well.:toofunny:

7willBheaven
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM

The article says they did!

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
From this little bit...it looks like Logan will be kept as the 5th HB...Parker, Mendy, Moore, Summers, and Logan as HBs

That would be my guess. We may keep 4 TE's then.

Galax Steeler
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Shipley is the one of two draft choices who didn't make the 53-man roster. The other is defensive end Sonny Harris, a seventh-round pick who was also cut.

09-04-2009, 04:09 PM

me too. I sure hope he makes it through waivers.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

That means old man Kirshkie makes it another year. It's ok with me because he played pretty well last season. Kirshkie and Townsend are written off every season only to make the team in the end every year. .

43Hitman
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I hope Lakelander is ok.

He'll be fine, his wallet will be bit lighter, but he'll be fine.

7willBheaven
09-04-2009, 04:12 PM
That would be my guess. We may keep 4 TE's then.

I dont see 4 TEs either...i think it'd be hard to keep one less LB or something in favor of a 4th TE...i mean depending on how McHugh is...they could IR him...or for a week or 2 keep him active and keep 4...but i doubt it.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
That's my question.

I wonder if they are going to move McHugh to fullback? Tank ain't ready yet.

dude give it up..... a 5'10 247 runner is a fullback..

not a 6'5 265lb TE who runs like a giraffe...

wyn50
09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
tank seemed to have played better on ST when he played.

Rek
09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Redman was cut? That was idiotic.

mmalone
Summers over Redman......Does Redman make it to the PS - or will he get snapped up by someone tomorrow.

you sure its not summers over carey

logan over redman

OneForTheToe
I dont see 4 TEs either...i think it'd be hard to keep one less LB or something in favor of a 4th TE...i mean depending on how McHugh is...they could IR him...or for a week or 2 keep him active and keep 4...but i doubt it.

That is what I mean start the season with 4 TEs and they can always adjust during the season. As I said in another thread, it is possible they are awaiting a medical update on McHugh before making a final decision on the 53. They have one more day to make the last cuts.

Bluedust
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope Lakelander is ok.

That was my first thought as well. :laughing:

OneForTheToe

Ummm ... McHugh lined up in the back field and blocked for us last year. what's the difference what his position listed was. He played fullback last year on numwerous occasions.

Preacher

Well, last year, He WAS used as a FB on a number of plays.

The question is, Who WILL play FB? I notice you take a shot at me, but don't answer the question.

Do YOU think Tank is ready right now? Especially with a sore hammy still?

I sure don't.

Maybe the coaches are wanting to let him grow into the job. But if that is true, then why didn't he run with the first team in the preseason?

There are some other things going on here... very interesting. I really am looking forward to the OFFICIAL report.

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
He'll be fine, his wallet will be bit lighter, but he'll be fine.

The bet was for Redman beating out Mendenhall next year. So I still have time. :chuckle:

SteelTalons
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
People still haven't gotten it through their heads it was Davis and Summers competing for that job not Redman and Summers competing. Tomlin point blank said on draft day they were gonna give him a look at FB(Summers). There has been no talk of Redman other than fan chatter, and while Redman's a pretty good RB he's not doing anything I wouldn't trust Mendy to do, he has a major lack of speed(just look at his 40time), not to mention the fact he aint much of a ST teams player to say the least.

Redman's a one trick pony. And with this much talent on the roster if you want to be a Steeler you have to be able to multitask and earn your keep. While Redman put on a good show, we can't get rid of someone else who can do more than one thing just to keep a guy like Redman.

My two cents anyway... Maybe my piggy bank is empty, Im sure someone is gonna argue that Redman should have been kept. But in the bigger scheme of things Redman isn't as great as people made him out to be. He had some nice flashes but he is very one dimensional.

43Hitman
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
The bet was for Redman beating out Mendenhall next year. So I still have time. :chuckle:

Seriously, if can't even make the team this season, how the hell is he going to be our starter next season??? Just pay up already, you lost.

Preacher
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
People still haven't gotten it through their heads it was Davis and Summers competing for that job not Redman and Summers competing. Tomlin point blank said on draft day they were gonna give him a look at FB(Summers). There has been no talk of Redman other than fan chatter, and while Redmans a pretty good RB he's not doing anything I wouldn't trust Mendy to do, he has a major lack of speed(just look at his 40time), not to mention the fact he aint much of a ST teams player to say the least.

Redman's a one trick pony. And with this much talent on the roster if you want a Steeler you have to be able to multitask and earn your keep. While Redman put up and good show, we can't get rid of someone else who can do more than one thing just to keep a guy like Redman.

My two cents anyway... Maybe my piggy bank is empty, Im sure someone is gonna argue that Redman should have been kept. But in the bigger scheme of things Redman isn't as great as people made him out to be. He had some nice flashes but he is very one dimensional.

No. I think you are exactly right. But the carries that Summers got vs. Davis makes Davis being cut in lieu of Summers a little strange at the least. I think we may see a surprise on this team... and THAT surprise will be who replaced Davis.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, last year, He WAS used as a FB on a number of plays.

The question is, Who WILL play FB? I notice you take a shot at me, but don't answer the question.

Do YOU think Tank is ready right now? Especially with a sore hammy still?

I sure don't.

Maybe the coaches are wanting to let him grow into the job. But if that is true, then why didn't he run with the first team in the preseason?

There are some other things going on here... very interesting. I really am looking forward to the OFFICIAL report.

no shot, i have been saying summers has the play, body and size for a classic FB

i have said the TE is 6'5" hes a TE he can block from arinas TE schemes.

hes just not a FB like Summers is in the true sense., and thats why he is here.

plus he probably can handle the play book well. he had good scores..

i think logan beat out redman.. for the RB spot.

we will probably see an extra WR along with mcDonald
now. maybe Baker

Preacher
09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
no shot, i have been saying summers has the play, body and size for a classic FB

i have said the TE is 6'5" hes a TE he can block from arinas TE schemes.

hes just not a FB like Summers is in the true sense., and thats why he is here.

plus he probably can handle the play book well. he had good scores..

i think logan beat out redman.. for the RB spot.

we will probably see an extra WR along with mcDonald
now. maybe Baker

You think that is why Davis was cut? They wanted to hold on to a "special" receiver? Maybe a CB that they saw something in, and didn't want to lose? Or Mundy at Safety?

There were a NUMBER of players that made a last second push to be on the team this year. Quite nice to see.

lilyoder6
09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
damn...

kinda of sucks 4 me.. that scott got cut...

i knew he wasn't eye popping but was good on ST and what not..

it is shit..

SteelMember
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's a couple more...

Moon Area's Shipley among Steelers' roster cuts
TEXT SIZE By: Mike Bires - Beaver County Times
PITTSBURGH — A.Q. Shipley’s hopes of making the Steelers’ opening-day roster were snuffed out today when he was informed that he had been released.

The Steelers have yet to officially announce their final cuts, but Shipley, a rookie center taken in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft, was one of them.

“They told me they’re hoping to bring me back (on the practice squad),” said Shipley, a Moon Area High School graduate.

The Steelers will name their eight practice squad players on Sunday.

After Thursday night’s 21-10 preseason win in Carolina, coach Mike Tomlin said he would announce most and possibly all of the cuts today. Officially, the Steelers have until 6 p.m. on Saturday to trim their roster from 75 to 53 players.

Other players already cut are running backs Isaac Redman and Justin Vincent, tackle Jason Capizzi and nose tackle Scott Paxson.

Friday September 4, 2009 03:13 PM

http://www.timesonline.com/news_/news_details/article/1373/2009/september/04/moon-areas-shipley-among-steelers-roster-cuts.html

SteelTalons
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Isn't giving the fullback carries, sort of defeating the purpose of the fullback? Have Summers do the blocking, give the ball to Mendy. I don't understand why people demanding earth shattering production out of a fullback when his job is to clear the way for someone else anyway.

Not saying its a bad skill to have(being able to run the ball themselves), neither is being able to catch the ball for that matter. But it seems to miss the point of what the fullback is for to me... So I haven't really understood where people are coming from with that argument.

The fullback doesn't have to touch the ball at all for all I care, just bulldoze everyone out the way and let Mendy and Willie loose.

lilyoder6
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
ahhh.. wtf .. jason got cut too..

jesus... at least i know aq will come back if he clears waivers.. but damn

mmalone
09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Isn't giving the fullback carries, sort of defeating the purpose of the fullback? Have Summers do the blocking, give the ball to Mendy. I don't understand why people demanding earth shattering production out of a fullback when his job is to clear the way for someone else anyway.

dude, totally right..

if summers can be the true FB and block strong, mendy and parker should have great days. thats how i see it. a real FB that blocks. i love it...

and go Logan...

Galax Steeler
09-04-2009, 04:41 PM
So will Redman and Shipley make it to the practice squad if they clear waivers. It will be interesting to see who does make it to the practice squad.

BlastFurnace
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
So will Redman and Shipley make it to the practice squad if they clear waivers. It will be interesting to see who does make it to the practice squad.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sonny Harris will make it back. He'll be on someone else's roster soon. I would have made room for him somewhere.

Vis
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Sonny Harris will make it back. He'll be on someone else's roster soon. I would have made room for him somewhere.

Like Pro Bowl complaints I have to ask: Who would you cut to keep him?

Kvnfaber
And Redman is almost certainly going to be picked up elsewhere. That is such a tough call to let him go.

steelreserve
Running backs Carey Davis

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I would like to see the other cuts.

It seems Eason and Kirschke both made it. So much for a youth movement on the d-line.

I had Sonny Harris and Redman making it, and I was unsure but hopeful Summers would beat out Carey Davis. Seems like he did.

I do think they made these cuts today so they can sign these guys to the practice squad tomorrow.

revefsreleets
09-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Michael Turner is a 5'10" 256 lb RB. And we used TE's as FB's effectively last year. Ever hear of an H-back?

Watch. Listen. Learn.

Also, having a FB who can also actually RUN THE FOOTBALL adds depth at the RB position. Even with two starteres, we are still only two bad plays(read:injuries to Parker and Mendy) away from fragile Mendy being asked to shoulder the load. Summers can play RB and a TE can play FB in a pinch...

Chess, not checkers....

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Not saying its a bad skill to have(being able to run the ball themselves), neither is being able to catch the ball for that matter. But it seems to miss the point of what the fullback is for to me... So I haven't really understood where people are coming from with that argument.

The fullback doesn't have to touch the ball at all for all I care, just bulldoze everyone out the way and let Mendy and Willie loose.

It depends. Some fullbacks just block, and that's fine. But it's nice to have an extra wrinkle in your offense with a FB who's could also run or catch for a few hundred yards a season. Using the FB for a fake or a decoy is probably going to be more effective that way, and you can't just leave him uncovered. Basically, if everyone on the field is a threat, it helps open things up for the whole offense.

Not saying that Summers is going to come in and immediately start putting up numbers like Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman, but the hope is he'll end up being the kind of guy who can do some damage if you don't account for him.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
It depends. Some fullbacks just block, and that's fine. But it's nice to have an extra wrinkle in your offense with a FB who's could also run or catch for a few hundred yards a season. Using the FB for a fake or a decoy is probably going to be more effective that way, and you can't just leave him uncovered. Basically, if everyone on the field is a threat, it helps open things up for the whole offense.

Not saying that Summers is going to come in and immediately start putting up numbers like Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman, but the hope is he'll end up being the kind of guy who can do some damage if you don't account for him.

go summers.. any word on Ramon Foster....

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
YESSS NO MORE CAREY DAVIS!

Well we can all certainly agree on that point.

Gnutella
09-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Stefan Logan = Darren Sproles

BlastFurnace
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Like Pro Bowl complaints I have to ask: Who would you cut to keep him?

I'm not sure. Perhaps someone like a Patrick Bailey. Bailey is solid on ST though. It's a tough one. If Johnson and McHugh make it along with Spaeth, I probably would have cut one of those 3.

SteelTalons
09-04-2009, 05:26 PM

True, I hadn't thought of that. And like Rev said, in a pinch you can use Summers as the RB and a TE as the FB. Both of yall made a good point.

Vis
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure. Perhaps someone like a Patrick Bailey. Bailey is solid on ST though. It's a tough one. If Johnson and McHugh make it along with Spaeth, I probably would have cut one of those 3.

He may not make it. More cuts still to be made. We aren't at 53 yet.

X-Terminator
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, Redman didn't make it. After his performance last night I thought he'd have a legitimate chance, but obviously not.

I have a feeling Sonny Harris will make it back to the PQ.

Thank God Carey Davis is gone!

As for the cuts overall...there were going to be some tough decisions made because the team is so deep and talented, and not everyone was going to be happy. There aren't too many guys I would have cut to make room for some of these players. Bottom line - you can't keep everyone.

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
He may not make it. More cuts still to be made. We aren't at 53 yet.

Well, then there's not much point in the who-would-you-cut-instead question until then, is there? Because unless you say Ben Roethlisberger or Troy Polamalu, you might be talking about a guy who could still get cut in the next 24 hours. :wink02:

Preacher
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Wait.... Casey Hampton wasn't cut? I'm shocked! :laughing:

Vis
09-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, then there's not much point in the who-would-you-cut-instead question until then, is there? Because unless you say Ben Roethlisberger or Troy Polamalu, you might be talking about a guy who could still get cut in the next 24 hours. :wink02:

Positionally, I think you can make suggestion

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Positionally, I think you can make suggestion

True, but it's still hard. For all we know, they'll decide to keep one more or one less guy than we thought at any given position, so you can make all kinds of tough calls among the couple guys struggling at the bottom of the ladder for each and still not have it solved.

For Harris, what's done is done, and I hope at least we decided to keep him around and give him a shot at coming back next year.

spyboots
09-04-2009, 05:47 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

20 of the cuts are here

Vis
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

20 of the cuts are here

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon Williams

That's 20 of the 22 cuts they have to make. Again, these aren't official - yet.

If, for example, they can work out a trade for, say Travis Kirschke or Nick Eason, a guy like Sonny Harris could be back on the squad.

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, Redman didn't make it. After his performance last night I thought he'd have a legitimate chance, but obviously not.

I have a feeling Sonny Harris will make it back to the PQ.

Thank God Carey Davis is gone!

As for the cuts overall...there were going to be some tough decisions made because the team is so deep and talented, and not everyone was going to be happy. There aren't too many guys I would have cut to make room for some of these players. Bottom line - you can't keep everyone.
i guess his "suddeness", and "glide", went unnoticed by tomlin... to bad he don't have "an eye for certain talent", like lakelander has....:toofunny:

sharkweek
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm liking these cuts so far.

SunshineMan21
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the reason Bailey is probably going to make it is the injury to Donovan Woods.

Also, I love the choice of Summers over Davis. Would have liked to keep a couple of these guys (Harris, Redman, Madison, Shipley), but I'm guessing there's a good chance that Harris, Redman, and Shipley are all PS anyway. Along with Reilly, probably--that guy was pretty impressive in the preseason as well.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon Williams

If, for example, they can work out a trade for, say Travis Kirschke or Nick Eason, a guy like Sonny Harris could be back on the squad.

I think if the Steelers didn't want Eason and Kirshkie they would have cut them. Remember, both played well last season. Still, neither are worth very much in trade.

Preacher
09-04-2009, 06:18 PM
So the real question is... who are the last two to be cut?

Seems we still have a receiver to cut... and a DB someplace?

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
So they are going to have to cut two more. RB, QB, o'line, d'line, Wr, and Special teams are set, imo. It will two among McHugh, Johnson, Mundy, a Linebacker and another cb.

Preacher
09-04-2009, 06:30 PM

So let's take a look at this year's draft.

Ziggy--made it.
Urbik--Made it
Wallace--Who know's, early showing is that this MAY have been the best pick.
Lewis--Made it
Burnett--Made it
Summers--Made it
Harris--cut
shipley--cut
Johnson--??maybe cut.. maybe not.

The Definiti0n
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
How did Summers make the roster but Redman didnt?

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
i guess his "suddeness", and "glide", went unnoticed by tomlin... to bad he don't have "an eye for certain talent", like lakelander has....:toofunny:

Fukc you Master of Baters :jerkit:

There's alot of people on these boards who felt Redman did enough to make this team.

At least I have balls enough to put a strong opinion down.

All you got is pimples and vaseline palms. :toofunny:

Preacher
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
So they are going to have to cut two more. RB, QB, o'line, d'line, Wr, and Special teams are set, imo. It will two among McHugh, Johnson, Mundy, a Linebacker and another cb.

With Davis gone, I don't see McHugh being cut. But I didn't see Davis being cut with the work that the Tank put in this camp either.

Maybe they keep Johnson and let Mchugh go... but the little bit I saw of Johnson, I wasn't impressed. However, I only watched the first string of the game usually. Saw Johnson one time and heard his name a couple others, so that isn't much to evaluate on.

Mundy I think made it quite a bit tougher to cut him last night.

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I think the reason Bailey is probably going to make it is the injury to Donovan Woods.

Also, I love the choice of Summers over Davis. Would have liked to keep a couple of these guys (Harris, Redman, Madison, Shipley), but I'm guessing there's a good chance that Harris, Redman, and Shipley are all PS anyway. Along with Reilly, probably--that guy was pretty impressive in the preseason as well.

Not Reilly. Teams don't usually keep QB's around their PS's. They'd rather give the reps to the #2 and #3 QB's on the 53 man roster.

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Well, a TE is definitely going to be one of them; it really depends on injuries and what skills we're looking for. I wouldn't even call Spaeth 100% safe out of that group, although I doubt he'll be the one cut. If McHugh goes to IR, that might solve one of the problems for us AND let us still keep him next year.

I think Mundy looks like the most likely cut out of the rest. We've got a ton of DBs who can play safety, and we might be able to get away with keeping him on the practice squad without getting snatched up.

The Lakelander
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I think Mundy looks like the most likely cut out of the rest. We've got a ton of DBs who can play safety, and we might be able to get away with keeping him on the practice squad without getting snatched up.

Steelers | Logan, Mundy make team
Comment (0)
Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:58:37 -0700

CBSSports.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said WR Stefan Logan and S Ryan Mundy have made the team's final roster.

Psyychoward86
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM

There's alot of people on these boards who felt Redman did enough to make this team.

At least nobody immediately crowned him "the next Fred Taylor" after the first preseason game.

Anyways, cutting Carey Davis surprised me, not because i thought he was good, but because i kept hearing about how much the coaches liked him. I dont think anyone paid any attention to the cut of Bruce Davis yet. That guy has really turned out to be a huge disappointment. I was hoping in the near future it would be lamaar Woodley and Bruce Davis delivering those menacing sacks for us :doh:

Preacher
09-04-2009, 06:38 PM

My guess is that they thought Summers has a much better upside and wouldn't make it through wavers. Either they think Redman does make it through waivers or they think that what he did won't equate to first string.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I too think Mundy will be the next tough cut. As for the other, four TEs is more than we would usually keep, but I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of starting the season with 4, if McHugh will be back quickly. As I said earlier, they could be waiting for a medical report on McHugh.

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Steelers | Logan, Mundy make team
Comment (0)

CBSSports.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said WR Stefan Logan and S Ryan Mundy have made the team's final roster.

Well, guess I was wrong about Mundy.

Wonder who the last cut's going to be.

(come on, please be Parker, please be Parker, please be Parker :hope:)

sigh. I guess that's not going to happen.

OneForTheToe
09-04-2009, 06:42 PM
teelers | Logan, Mundy make team
Comment (0)

If that is true we have two really tough decisions to make. Ratliff gone?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I wont believe the Davis cut until its official. Then I will believe that xmas came early if its true. :banana:

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Summers can play FB, RB, ST, and even TE in a pinch. Redman is a one-trick pony. Granted, he seemed to be pretty good at that one shtick, but....with bubble-guys, they usually need to show that they can contribute to more than one area of the game. Redman looked good running the ball, but he was getting some good blocking from TE David Johnson and Frank Summers in most of those instances.

Summers looks to still be a year away from contributing, but I think he was kept for his potential and versatility.

Redman had to be a tough decision for the front office...if he goes to the PS, some other team is almost sure to snatch him up.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Just please let Lord Tyrone return to his flock.

We are not worthy!

sharkweek
09-04-2009, 07:08 PM

because between Parker/Mendenhall/Moore, we don't need another production HB, we need a blocking FB, and Summers is relatively versatile in what he can do

Davis would have stayed on before Redman, but Summers apparently impressed enough to beat even Davis out.

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Redman had to be a tough decision for the front office...if he goes to the PS, some other team is almost sure to snatch him up.

You know, a lot of people say that, but I'm just not seeing it. Most other teams aren't as desperate for a goal-line back as we are. And despite the fat that I liked what I saw of him, he's still an undrafted rookie and he didn't put up the kind of jaw-dropping numbers that will make other teams say "oh, shit, we've got to snag this guy." I bet he's safe there for a year.

Then throw in a few steroids, and Lakelander's prediction might still just come true.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Aye - put me in the Redman boat...I was right about the rest though.

I call it a win. I like our team.

Originally Posted by Killer
Logan/Redman/Legursky/Mundy, I think are locks

tony hipchest
09-04-2009, 07:29 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

feeling woozy...

think ... going 2vomit.... :puke:

(seriously my biggest concern is davis and madison off of special teams- thats a huge blow. im guessing some rookies are ready to step up and blast heads).

HometownGal
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
The only real shocker here, imho, is Redman. I really thought he was going to make the cut.

Look for Whiz and the Cards to go on a shopping spree. :rolleyes: :jerkit:

Preacher
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
The only real shocker here, imho, is Redman. I really thought he was going to make the cut.

Look for Whiz and the Cards to go on a shopping spree. :rolleyes: :jerkit:
:chuckle:

So, Carey Davis, Redman, Anthony Madison, who else goes to the Cards?

steelreserve
09-04-2009, 07:43 PM
(seriously my biggest concern is davis and madison off of special teams- thats a huge blow. im guessing some rookies are ready to step up and blast heads).

Well, look at it this way: Davis may be off of special teams, but at least he's off the offense as well.

spyboots
09-04-2009, 07:48 PM

:rofl:

IamTheSteelGod
09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Bruce Davis being cut supprised me. Does anyone know why?

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Because he sucked?

Tomlin don't run no grey sweatshirt brigade. Produce or hit the road.

Hua!

tony hipchest
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Bruce Davis being cut supprised me. Does anyone know why?i think its the emergence of arnold harrison as a solid back up made him expendable. that and patrick bailey was a better special teamer.

Fire Haley
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
tony is always so sober - - - he scares me

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Johnson, McHugh or Summers can play FB.

Shipley getting cut was not really a surprise by many hear I think......but Redman getting cut is a surprise to me.

As for Sonny Harris, I think there is a 50-50 shot he makes it to the practice squad. Finally, the Bruce Davis cut still irks me as I was screaming for O linemen instead of him 2 drafts ago. :banging:

HometownGal
09-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Any former Steeler he can get his grubby little mitts on.

7willBheaven
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
So 21 total

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon William

Not mentioned here but mentioned in an updated PG article D. Woods has been cut. The last cut should be from TE McHugh or Johnson...depending on McHugh's health.

Psyychoward86
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
So 21 total

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon William

Not mentioned here but mentioned in an updated PG article D. Woods has been cut. The last cut should be from TE McHugh or Johnson...depending on McHugh's health.

That sounds about right, you got a link though?

Preacher
09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
So 21 total

Hmmm.... Woods is cut? I would have to guess, with C. Davis being cut, that it would be Johnson. He just wasn't impressive to me. I think McHugh brings a better set of skills to the table all the way around.

Edman
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM

He sucked. He's a player Cleveland might keep around, and everyone knows they suck.

I didn't like him when we drafted him, and I didn't like him now. He's not a good fit for a 3-4. He played in a 4-3 Defense in UCLA.

CanadianSteel
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Of all the cuts I hope Madison doesnt come back to haunt is as dude was a beast on Special teams.... I know we have others but Madison was the Chidi Iwoma of this generation :)

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2009, 10:07 PM
dude, totally right..

if summers can be the true FB and block strong, mendy and parker should have great days. thats how i see it. a real FB that blocks. i love it...

and go Logan...

What makes you think Arians will use a FB? He hardly used a FB last year that I can remember. He likes those two TE sets more than the I formation. Or an empty backfield on third and long. I hope they use a FB more but I doubt they will. Summers probably won't even suit up for most games.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
What makes you think Arians will use a FB? He hardly used a FB last year that I can remember. He likes those two TE sets more than the I formation. Or an empty backfield on third and long. I hope they use a FB more but I doubt they will. Summers probably won't even suit up for most games.

dont try to trap me with this arians stuff... i stopped using his name in vain....

with good use of the FB we can bring the 3rd down conversions up.. logan should help there too, if they use him.

i said this the day we drafted summers, he should help the OL look better just for the upgrade in blocking and 3rd downs...

i hope it all works out... it will be fun to watch.

dunkuntou
09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
He sucked. He's a player Cleveland might keep around, and everyone knows they suck.

I didn't like him when we drafted him, and I didn't like him now. He's not a good fit for a 3-4. He played in a 4-3 Defense in UCLA.

LaMarr Woodley also played in a 4-3 defense in college. That doesn't mean anything

Preacher
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
dont try to trap me with this arians stuff... i stopped using his name in vain....

with good use of the FB we can bring the 3rd down conversions up.. logan should help there too, if they use him.

i said this the day we drafted summers, he should help the OL look better just for the upgrade in blocking and 3rd downs...

i hope it all works out... it will be fun to watch.

And again, that is where I am wondering if McHugh is the guy. Because he can come in at TE and then slide over to FB like he did a lot of last year. Or go in motion from the TE position. That IS one element I like of Arians offense.

7willBheaven
09-04-2009, 10:34 PM
That sounds about right, you got a link though?

They're in a lot of other posts out there but here..

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ - that shows 20 of the 21 so far...

and the article that started this thread has been updated by the PG to show Woods in there too...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995619-100.stm

mmalone
09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
And again, that is where I am wondering if McHugh is the guy. Because he can come in at TE and then slide over to FB like he did a lot of last year. Or go in motion from the TE position. That IS one element I like of Arians offense.

thats good that mchugh can do that, i think thats a plus. johnson bblocking is a plus too.

mchugh did it last year and davis was there last year...

thats why there gone and summers is here... they are trying to fix something that was not working well. so why do it more that way this year..??

Preacher
09-04-2009, 10:46 PM
thats good that mchugh can do that, i think thats a plus. johnson bblocking is a plus too.

mchugh did it last year and davis was there last year...

thats why there gone and summers is here... they are trying to fix something that was not working well. so why do it more that way this year..??

Well, I think it did work decently well last year when McHugh was doing it. Furthermore, we now have our top two backs healthy again, a line which seems to be better, and a more potent set of weapons as receivers. So I think it is definitely something that we will see.

Anyways, I gotta ask what you see in Johnson. The only time I saw him, he got knocked backwards in the hole. Not something I want to see from a FB. But remember, that was pretty much my only time seeing him.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, I think it did work decently well last year when McHugh was doing it. Furthermore, we now have our top two backs healthy again, a line which seems to be better, and a more potent set of weapons as receivers. So I think it is definitely something that we will see.

Anyways, I gotta ask what you see in Johnson. The only time I saw him, he got knocked backwards in the hole. Not something I want to see from a FB. But remember, that was pretty much my only time seeing him.

Actually, there was the one article that has Arians state that Summers was blocking real well. And the 3 lines were arians said that johnson was doing everything good, blocking, catching...

im going by what arians said, im not at the practices. thats were i also read that summers was doing well with the first team blocking in practice this week with mendy, parker and moore. thats all i got to go with. i dont have a crystal ball, im just a nut for steelers football and want to see big wins.. we need a year were we just crush the other teams.... no prisoners...

Preacher
09-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Actually, there was the one article that has Arians state that Summers was blocking real well. And the 3 lines were arians said that johnson was doing everything good, blocking, catching...

im going by what arians said, im not at the practices. thats were i also read that summers was doing well with the first team blocking in practice this week with mendy, parker and moore. thats all i got to go with. i dont have a crystal ball, im just a nut for steelers football and want to see big wins.. we need a year were we just crush the other teams.... no prisoners...

:thumbsup: I missed those articles and only had the last game to go by, which really isn't a good barometer.

Again, I do have my worries about the Tank this year. But then again, I guess anything is an improvement over our running game last year.

LVSteelersfan
09-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I sincerely hope they use Summers this year a lot. I just think he needs more time and practice before he is truly ready. But he may be good in goal line situations.

mmalone
09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
:thumbsup: I missed those articles and only had the last game to go by, which really isn't a good barometer.

true, if that game was the barometer, redman would be our #1 RB

logan had 2 nice runs also. for i think 28 yards. so that may play into the
scheme of things this year too. like a sproles in the back field to mess with the D's
timing.... some little quick stuff, some pro running and a bit of smashmouth when needed, i think were good to go...

the beauty is we have 5 great WR's ready to go too..

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2009, 11:10 PM

That is the first negative review I have heard of David Johnson this offseason, as far as I can remember. Again, you can't put too much weight in these "Rapid Reports", tweets, and various updates from fans watching practice. But taking a composite of all of those, TE David Johnson apparently had a great camp and looked much better than Sean McHugh (who is also out for 1 to 2 months due to an injury).

During backs on backers drills, Summers and Johnson were the only ones that could stop Silverback on a somewhat consistent basis (or as consistently as it is possible to stop a locomotive like Harrison).

I think we are looking at this:

RBs

Willie Parker
Mendy
Mewelde Moore
Frank Summers (FB/RB/ST)

TEs

Heath Miller
Matt Spaeth
David Johnson (FB/TE)

KeiselPower99
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Bruce Davis if not picked up by another team will be back. I wouldnt be suprised to see him latch on somewhere as a pass rusher off the edge like he was at UCLA. Some guys just cant make the move from DE to OLB. Alonzo Jackson anyone?? Thank god Carey Davis is gone!!!!!

OneForTheToe
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
..... TE David Johnson apparently had a great camp and looked much better than Sean McHugh (who is also out for 1 to 2 months due to an injury).

Is that official? The last i heard he would miss one or two games. :doh: That would certainly change things.

OneForTheToe
09-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking that the uncertainty of Clark's contract situation, as well as a good game yesterday propelled Mundy to the 53.

7willBheaven
09-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Is that official? The last i heard he would miss one or two games. :doh: That would certainly change things.

I only heard what you did...a couple of games/few weeks. Never heard a few months...I'm sure if this was the case he'd already been put on IR like Stapleton.

Steeldude
09-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Bruce Davis if not picked up by another team will be back

i hope he gets picked up by another team

JackHammer
09-05-2009, 02:25 AM
i hope he gets picked up by another team

For his sake, or to spite the Steelers?

Steely McSmash
09-05-2009, 03:46 AM
...There has been no talk of Redman other than fan chatter, and while Redman's a pretty good RB he's not doing anything I wouldn't trust Mendy to do, he has a major lack of speed(just look at his 40time), not to mention the fact he aint much of a ST teams player to say the least.

Redman's a one trick pony. And with this much talent on the roster if you want to be a Steeler you have to be able to multitask and earn your keep. While Redman put on a good show, we can't get rid of someone else who can do more than one thing just to keep a guy like Redman.

I have to disagree here.

Redmond was one dimensional but the one dimension he seemed to display was being a hardnosed runner. He may be a one trick pony but he was the pony that did the trick best. you could argue that he was the only one with success. What's the point of showing him off in the last game if you're not going to keep him?

I have my fingers crossed that he'll return. He definitely needed some work and he's not lightning fast. It's possible he might make it back. I guess a short yardage back was not a priority for the team now.

Preacher
09-05-2009, 03:51 AM
I have to disagree here.

Redmond was one dimensional but the one dimension he seemed to display was being a hardnosed runner. He may be a one trick pony but he was the pony that did the trick best. you could argue that he was the only one with success. What's the point of showing him off in the last game if you're not going to keep him?

I have my fingers crossed that he'll return. He definitely needed some work and he's not lightning fast. It's possible he might make it back. I guess a short yardage back was not a priority for the team now.

Its not to make the practice team. Thats for sure. Which means it was to try out for other teams. To play as well as he did, and still not make it, means just that.

redst3
09-05-2009, 05:47 AM
People still haven't gotten it through their heads it was Davis and Summers competing for that job not Redman and Summers competing. Tomlin point blank said on draft day they were gonna give him a look at FB(Summers). There has been no talk of Redman other than fan chatter, and while Redman's a pretty good RB he's not doing anything I wouldn't trust Mendy to do, he has a major lack of speed(just look at his 40time), not to mention the fact he aint much of a ST teams player to say the least.

I agree. All we saw were the games. we dont know whats going on in the clubhouse or at practice. There are plenty of factors we cant see (even though we would all love to).

So thats 4 cents

Galax Steeler
09-05-2009, 05:49 AM
I sincerely hope they use Summers this year a lot. I just think he needs more time and practice before he is truly ready. But he may be good in goal line situations.

That is true he missed alot of time during training camp with an injury so he is still behind on alot of things. I agree just give him some time and he should be fine.

redst3
09-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Oh my Lord!!! They cut Peter Czech!

I put this in another thread this morning but here are the names Dale Lolley is tossing around. These are unofficial for "wiggle room" purposes.

Kaeg
09-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I heard they are contemplating an expansion team this year, and will fill it with all our cuts. (Dammit! Where is that sarcasm smiley?)

Kindjunior
09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I was hopin for better for Redman, but I'm guessin he'll be in someones lineup by week 2.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Redman may be a one-trick pony, only useful for goal line situations... but he's VERY useful in those goal line situations.

Logan, my man-crush recipient, is a one-trick pony. He's a beast, a God-send, and serves one valuable function. He won't be replacing Hines, Holmes or Sweed at WR, but we kept him - and I'm ecstatic.

So to say that Redman was only useful in one capacity, and that justifies his release, goes against the logic for keeping Logan.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Redman may be a one-trick pony, only useful for goal line situations... but he's VERY useful in those goal line situations.

Logan, my man-crush recipient, is a one-trick pony. He's a beast, a God-send, and serves one valuable function. He won't be replacing Hines, Holmes or Sweed at WR, but we kept him - and I'm ecstatic.

So to say that Redman was only useful in one capacity, and that justifies his release, goes against the logic for keeping Logan.

1. He missed the tackle right in front of tomlin on a kick off return, then Czech tackled the return man..

2. We never seen him block. Maybe he was not good at that.

3. We dont know if he picked up the play book real well. ???

4. He ran strong but his speed was lacking, hence a bit slow on ST.

5. I liked him, wish he would have stayed just to see if we could groom him over a year to be a better player.. he wasnt polished like an Iowa RB or an Ohio St. RB. out of college.

He may stick to the PS.

09-05-2009, 09:05 AM
1. He missed the tackle right in front of tomlin on a kick off return, then Czech tackled the return man..

5. I liked him, wish he would have stayed just to see if we could groom him over a year to be a better player.. he wasnt polished like an Iowa RB or an Ohio St. RB. out of college.

He may stick to the PS.

Yes, like I said, maybe he was a liability on special teams tackling, and a liability on blocking, but if he was used only for goal line situations, he could be valuable. He was fast enough to get into the endzone during the preseason.

Logan won't be a gunner on STs, nor was he kept because he could block, but he stayed - despite having one real use.

And the playbook... he only has to learn the goalline formations, if that would be his specialty... It's like Sean Morey - a WR who never played WR. He was a STs gunner, and very good at it. I hated to see the Cards steal him, even though he was a one-trick pony.

AllD
09-05-2009, 09:14 AM

He may stick to the PS.

He wasn't drafted, so his status may keep other teams from picking him up. He also ran out of gas in the thrid game after 12 carries. He is good for one or two yards when needed, but was not very special on STs. Anything else he does our other backs can do just as well. Too bad the roster isn't 58 instead of 53. I also think other rookies like Burnett and Wallace made bigger statements and that the passing game will be more significant this season.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, like I said, maybe he was a liability on special teams tackling, and a liability on blocking, but if he was used only for goal line situations, he could be valuable. He was fast enough to get into the endzone during the preseason..

this is right also, but they never showed summers at that position either in pre-season. if he would have had the chance to slam in a few TD's we wouldnt be talking about this..

i keep saying summers is the FB at 247 lbs and he can crush the goal line also.

he also needs time to grow also, just like mendenhall and even a bit more as hes a #5 pick not a #1 pick.. so give him his chances. i think he will make us forget about redman.

but i still think redman is staying with us..

09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
this is right also, but they never showed summers at that position either in pre-season. if he would have had the chance to slam in a few TD's we wouldnt be talking about this..

i keep saying summers is the FB at 247 lbs and he can crush the goal line also.

he also needs time to grow also, just like mendenhall and even a bit more as hes a #5 pick not a #1 pick.. so give him his chances. i think he will make us forget about redman.

but i still think redman is staying with us..

Yeah, he's PS material now. I don't think anyone's going to claim him.

SteelerEmpire
09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
They cut Redman ?? I don't know what the logic was behind that decision, but from the outside looking in, that reminds me of when the Steelers chose not to get Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown when they had the opportunity.... Maybe they plan to put Redman on the practice squad...??

http://soxanddawgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nfl_g_steelerscelebration_576.jpg

X-Terminator
09-05-2009, 09:53 AM
They cut Redman ?? I don't know what the logic was behind that decision, but from the outside looking in, that reminds me of when the Steelers chose not to get Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown when they had the opportunity.... Maybe they plan to put Redman on the practice squad...??

You're seriously comparing Issac Redman to Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown? Are you kidding me???

Depth at RB and his not being able to play special teams is why he was cut. And besides that, WHO else were they going to cut to make room for him?

mmalone
09-05-2009, 10:12 AM
You're seriously comparing Issac Redman to Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown? Are you kidding me???

Depth at RB and his not being able to play special teams is why he was cut. And besides that, WHO else were they going to cut to make room for him?

wow... jim brown..

anyway... this is a great pick of a player (summers) wanting to play ..... and make the team... was in the news the other day. good facial expression.

http://www.sunflaremarketing.com/images/summers.gif

theplatypus
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Reading comprehension seems to be lost on some people.

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
i think i read in this thread that the Steelers should sign a vet OT, I 100% agree with this

I'm not sure who (Tony Pashos or Tra Thomas are supposed to get cut), but that's a great idea

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I dont know if the steelers are gonna have much room to sign a vet OT. have to see who they keep between Capizzi and Ramon Foster for starters.

Both Carey and Bruce Davis being gone is a step towards getting better. Too bad that 3rd round pick was spent on Davis in the first place.

43Hitman
09-05-2009, 10:32 AM

Yeah, but you don't have the balls to admit you were wrong and pay up on a bet you damn well know you've lost. And if you think using clever ways to cuss someone is cool, well it's not. :flipoff:

stillers4me
09-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Nothing is set in stone until tonight. We need to just be patient and let the FO do it's work.

Oh, I forgot who i was talking to .......:doh:

mmalone
09-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Reading comprehension seems to be lost on some people.

words and sentences twist fast around here... you have to defend yourself quickly....

SteelerEmpire
09-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Any word on what time will they be announcing the cuts ??

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I dont know if the steelers are gonna have much room to sign a vet OT. have to see who they keep between Capizzi and Ramon Foster for starters.

Both Carey and Bruce Davis being gone is a step towards getting better. Too bad that 3rd round pick was spent on Davis in the first place.

I read somewher last night that Capizzi confirmed that he was cut. The article aslo said that he was elgible for the PS which surprised me.

thesteelersreport.com
09-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Yes, the Tank says he is the new starting fullback....Let's see when starters for Thursday's game are named if in fact he is.

I'll take his word and assume he is the starting FB.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-05-2009, 10:44 AM
In regards to the Redman cut...I have to wonder if Tomlin didnt feel that alot of those practice TD's were more the result of Summers blocking then Remans ability.

:noidea:

thesteelersreport.com
09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Any word on what time will they be announcing the cuts ??

They have until 4pm today to officially announce them.

43Hitman
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
In regards to the Redman cut...I have to wonder if Tomlin didnt feel that alot of those practice TD's were more the result of Summers blocking then Remans ability.

That could be true, I haven't really thought about it like that. I was pulling for Redman, but being hopeful and being realistic are two completely different things. There was a lot of "Hope" on this particular subject and not much reality in my opinion.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM

i would say they were looking for blocking... we have plenty of runners...

we are light on the OL getting help with blocking... at least thats been the word around here for 4 months, its not the plays, its not the OC, its the OL and blocking.

so i guess they are keeping the blockers... Johnson TE and Summers FB

Best available blockers right???

lilyoder6
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
not bad i guess.. i just would like to see the final roster and what not..

reed, woodly, and timmons and a few others came in last nite.. to celebrate....

just can't beleive football starts this thurs

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I read somewher last night that Capizzi confirmed that he was cut. The article aslo said that he was elgible for the PS which surprised me.

Out of all the cuts, the only player not eligible for the Practice Squad is Carey Davis. sound right?

OneForTheToe
09-05-2009, 01:49 PM

we are light on the OL getting help with blocking... at least thats been the word around here for 4 months, its not the plays, its not the OC, its the OL and blocking.

I'm just wondering what they are doing about the TE position. I've heard nothing about McHugh. Are we keeping four until McHugh is healthy. Is McHugh going on IR? Is someone getting cut?

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm just wondering what they are doing about the TE position. I've heard nothing about McHugh. Are we keeping four until McHugh is healthy. Is McHugh going on IR? Is someone getting cut?

remains to be seen

i don't think our roster is set in stone yet. Tomlin said that a trade was still a possibility and we can still pick up a player that was cut from another team.

The Steelers can't be happy with their backup O-tackle situation. I think they will address it

09-05-2009, 01:57 PM

According to the Trib-Review, McHugh is destined for the IR...

"In addition, the Steelers plan to place tight end Sean McHugh on injured reserve, ending his season after arthroscopic knee surgery."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_641740.html

mmalone
09-05-2009, 02:06 PM
The Steelers can't be happy with their backup O-tackle situation. I think they will address it

i can see this happening.

Steeldude
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
For his sake, or to spite the Steelers?

so the steelers won't get him back. i would love to see davis in the AFC north. run the ball right at him

Preacher
09-05-2009, 06:09 PM

You notice that signals a shift in philosophy? I would expect to see more open plays until we get a lead... and more I formation smash-mouth in the second half when we get up but a few scores.

THat is what I want! Balanced Offense!

mmalone
09-05-2009, 06:54 PM
You notice that signals a shift in philosophy? I would expect to see more open plays until we get a lead... and more I formation smash-mouth in the second half when we get up but a few scores.

THat is what I want! Balanced Offense!

We should be a well oiled machine... im looking forward to it...