PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin doesn't rule out trade as cuts witheld, but says Logan and Mundy on final 53

mesaSteeler
09-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Tomlin doesn't rule out trade as cuts witheld, but says Logan and Mundy on final 53
September 4, 11:20 PMPittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m9d4-Tomlin--doesnt-rule-out-trade-as-cuts-witheld-but-says-Logan-and-Mundy-on-roster

PITTSBURGH - When it comes to the Steelers, expect the unexpected. While most thought Steeler coach Mike Tomlin would announce the final 53 man roster during his press conference at the UPMC practice facility on Friday, it didn't happen.

Instead, he explained how tough of a decision it is to make a cut, Tomlin talked about not having a formula for making roster decisions, and also how the team is looking for 53 men who can help bring a world championship.Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin reacts to a call in the first half against the Carolina Panthers during a preseason NFL football game at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., Thursday, Sept. 3, 2009. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

"Of course roster cuts don't need to be made until tomorrow, so we preceded to inform guys of our roster decisions," Tomlin said. "We have another 24 hours where we can manipulate things here from a business standpoint. So I will not be announcing those roster cuts here today because it is not prudent to do so. We have another 24 hours to be quite frank, and I don't want to give the NFL another 24 hours to look at our guys before they deliver theirs."

While he did not reveal who was part of those final cuts, Tomlin let out the worst kept secret in the league, that rookie Stefan Logan had made the Steelers roster as a return man.

"If you have a helmet and have a spot in training camp you have a chance to earn a job," Tomlin said. "And I'm happy for him and happy for us. I like what he can potentially give us in that area, so I'm not shocked."

As for other players on the bubble who made a strong impression during the Carolina game on Thursday night, Tomlin said there were none such as Patrick Bailey, who last year had four tackles on special teams which secured his spot as one of the 53.

But he added that Ryan Mundy put an exclamation point on his staying with the team and had also secured a spot.

"You probably don't want to hear me saying this, but I could care less that Ryan is a local guy," Tomlin said. "I like the fact he is a quality backup safety. It's probably a nice personal note for him being from here, but we don't care about what means people get here. We care if they are capable of putting their hand in the pile and capable of helping us win."

If there was something interesting to come out of Tomlin's PC, it was that he didn't rule out a trade or picking someone up off the waiver wire. He also made it a point to say he isn't comfortable with the depth of the offensive line.

"It's also another reason we are holding are cards so to speak at this time, as we acknowledge the possibility of those things occurring," Tomlin said. "Not only waiver wire but also potential trades in the next 24 hours. That's just the nature of the business this time of year."

Admittedly, Tomlin said making decisions and then having to tell the players who have made it this far, but miss out on a roster spot are not easy to do.

" It's tough, but its part of the job and part of the business," Tomlin said. " It's one of the unpleasantness that come with being the head football coach. I have to sit down with these guys and explain to them why we are making the decisions we are making. I owe them that, these guys worked very hard they did everything we asked them too, but the reality of it is 75 has to become 53 tomorrow."

The Steelers also had a introductory walk through for the Tennessee game on Friday and had a team meeting with the 53 who are going to comprise the final roster.

Note: As for who has been cut and who is in, nothing has been released to the media, Examiner.com has been told that defensive end Sonny Harris is one of them, which would be a surprise considering his play during the season. Special team ace Anthony Madison is also being reported as one of the casualties and that Frank Summers is in as a fullback.

The dean of Pittsburgh Sports writersEd Bouchette is reporting that Carey Davis is among one of the roster cuts along with rookie running back Issac Redman.

tony hipchest
09-05-2009, 01:21 PM
We care if they are capable of putting their hand in the pile and capable of helping us win."

:point: :poop:

BKAnthem
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Can't believe they cut Redman, summers should have been cut and placed on waivers.....Sonny Harris was also a surprise.....Shipley wasn't though

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Woods was a bigger surprise cut than Harris

SunshineMan21
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Woods was a bigger surprise cut than Harris

Woods is hurt, isn't he?

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Woods is hurt, isn't he?

so is Timmons, should we cut him?

Woods just pulled a hamstring. That's a minor injury

mmalone
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Can't believe they cut Redman, summers should have been cut and placed on waivers.....Sonny Harris was also a surprise.....Shipley wasn't though

dude...

summers is a blocking fullback, he blew davis out...

logan is a runner and fast he blew redman out.

redman will be on the PS. noone will pick him up.... (hopefully).

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 02:26 PM
dude...

summers is a blocking fullback, he blew davis out...

Versatility

not only can Summers line up at FB and lead block but he can also be a short-yardage/goal line running back with David Johnson lined up as a FB. (maybe that was another factor in cutting Redman)

mmalone
09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Versatility

not only can Summers line up at FB and lead block but he can also be a short-yardage/goal line running back with David Johnson lined up as a FB. (maybe that was another factor in cutting Redman)

i know, i just take think in baby steps, so noone around here thinks i mean he will take over parkers job.... i think logan knocked out redman.. that was really the last spot to be taken over.

we are better now, thats what counts.

millwalldavey
09-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm intrigued by this "doesn't rule out trade" part. Any info on a player on the block and to whom?

mmalone
09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm intrigued by this "doesn't rule out trade" part. Any info on a player on the block and to whom?

the trade note was posted in the post-gazette yesterday.....

they had nothing else but that....