PDA

View Full Version : Titans safety Chris Hope awaits reunion in Pittsburgh

mesaSteeler
09-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Titans safety Chris Hope awaits reunion in Pittsburgh
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090905/SPORTS01/90905010/2072/SPORTS
By Gary Estwick • THE TENNESSEAN • September 5, 2009

When the Titans play the Steelers in the regular season opener on Thursday night, safety Chris Hope will return to Heinz Field for the first time since leaving Pittsburgh to sign with Tennessee in 2006.

He is unsure what to expect.

“I haven’t been on the opposite side of the stadium so I don’t know how loud it gets for opponents,” said Hope, who last season earned his first Pro Bowl appearance.

“But I’m sure they’re going to be ready to play us.”

Titans receiver Nate Washington, another former Steeler, might not play on Thursday because of a hamstring injury. Even on the sideline Washington figures to face far different emotions since he won a Super Bowl ring just last season, Hope said.

“I’m pretty sure Nate is going to go through it more than me,” Hope said. “I’ve been gone for awhile now. I’m a Titan.”

Still, Hope said it’s hard to hate the franchise that drafted him and helped him perfect his craft. He was also a part of a championship, winning a ring when the Steelers beat the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.

“It’s hard for you to feel negative about them,” Hope said.
Advertisement

Teaching time: Veteran Alge Crumpler said he had another mentor-to-student moment with rookie and fellow tight end Jared Cook.

They recently watched film of Tennessee’s 30-10 victory against Pittsburgh last season.

Cook told Crumpler, “Man, you guys are moving around out there.” Crumpler told Cook that everything moves faster in the regular season, so get ready.

Cook is recovering from a sprained ankle he suffered against the Browns on Aug. 29, but is expected to play against the Steelers.

He missed the preseason finale against the Packers but still led the Titans in catches (17) and receiving yards (159) during the preseason.

Familiar foe: The Titans and Steelers are similar in many ways, but Coach Jeff Fisher said the game “is going to be a big challenge” for his team.

“They are much like us in that they are returning just about all of their starters,” Fisher said. “Their younger players have improved. They have the running back (Rashard Mendenhall) back this year (from injury). ... They barely give up any points. The most they have given up in the preseason … was 17 points in a game. They are well coached and I’m sure they feel they are equipped to have a shot to repeat.”

steeltheone
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah Fisher i'm sure Mendenhall with be a big advantage to us...Lol

AllD
09-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Ryan Clark is an upgrade over Chris Hope. Nate might not be able to handle the emotions of playing against the Steelers especially knowing Chris Hope's replacement is sitting out there for whoever has the ball.

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Ryan Clark is an upgrade over Chris Hope.

I wouldn't say that

they are close to equal if anything

Chris Hope is a total beast. He did make the probowl last year.

Nate might not be able to handle the emotions of playing against the Steelers especially knowing Chris Hope's replacement is sitting out there for whoever has the ball.

I think Nate is out with an injury

mesaSteeler
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say that

Nate is out with an injury and is not expected to play against us.

AllD
09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Chris Hope never KO'd anybody.

steel striker
09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Well I like Hope when he was here,but he is the enemy now. I hope Ben picks there secondary to shreads.

pancake
09-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't say that

I think Hope is a lttle better, but Clark is not far off.

pancake
09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Chris Hope never KO'd anybody.

Smith ko'd people when he played FS, but there is more to the position than hitting. I agree Clark is the better hitter...

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I think Hope is a lttle better, but Clark is not far off.

I agree. I love Clark but Hope is more complete

per dollar earned though Clark is way more valuable

steel striker
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I hope Clark can line up a knock hit on that no class rb White. That would be a classic way to kick off the season crush the titans and, have big mouth lights knocked out.

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I really liked Chris Hope and wish we couldve kept him. Clark is a few notchs under Hope.