PDA

View Full Version : 8 Man Practice Squad

tony hipchest
09-05-2009, 01:00 PM
i am taking much more interrest in this years squad because i feel we have cut some very legitimate talend on an extremely deep superbowl champion team. the likes of carey davis and anthony madison were huge contributors to our kick return coverage teams (which pretty much sucked prior to last years effort) and cannot be retained.

so who clears waivers and is brought back?

Dallas Baker, Roy Lewis, Jeremy Parquet, Desmond Sherrod, Carey Davis, Isaac Redman, Bruce Davis, Anthony Madison, A.Q. Shipley, Scott Paxson, Sonny Harris, Jason Capizzi, Mike Reilly, Peter Czech, Justin Vincent, Tyler Grisham, Tom Korte, Steve McLendon, Andy Schantz and Brandon Williams

im really thinking i. redman, and s. harris are long shots to clear waivers (but then again, this isnt like the draft).

bruce davis
roy lewis
isaac redman
aq shipley
sonny harris
jason capizzi
tyler grisham (is baker still eligible?)
derrick richardson (my guy makes it back)

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
roy lewis
isaac redman
aq shipley
sonny harris
jason capizzi

these are definites imo. I'd rather they keep Donovan Woods over Bruce Davis

i thought that WR Brandon Williams looked pretty decent, maybe him. Maybe RB Vincent. Maybe Parquet

Remember sometimes they grab players cut from other teams and put on their p.s.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
these are definites imo. I'd rather they keep Donovan Woods over Bruce Davis

i thought that WR Brandon Williams looked pretty decent, maybe him. Maybe RB Vincent. Maybe Parquet

Remember it also seems like they always grab a couple players cut from other teams and put on their p.s.

remember.. it is always the best available player for us....

im sure they have a list...

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Woods, Redman, Capizzi, Shipley, Harris, Reilly and 2 OLs we pilfer from someone else.

Shoes
09-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I might add Peter Czech in there somewhere.

09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I might add Peter Czech in there somewhere.

Unless Reed is still injured - which he mustn't be, because Czech was released - why keep an extra kicker? I don't think Reed's going to falter, he's been a sure thing for years at Heinz... It would be like keeping an extra long-snapper, just in case.

tony hipchest
09-05-2009, 02:38 PM
kickers on the actual squad dont even "practice". they kick balls, play games, goof off, and do things like putting frogs in the real players helmets.

jeff reed was scraped up off of the street , and im sure any replacement kicker we may need, will be too.

i didnt even think of woods being available for the squad. dont know about the severity of his injury, but i guess he is equally interchangable with davis, as is any wr we may keep.

good call.

Preacher
09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
It would be like keeping an extra long-snapper, just in case.
after last year.... I am not so sure that is the illustration you want to use to make your point. :chuckle:

09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
after last year.... I am not so sure that is the illustration you want to use to make your point. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Isn't that why we re-claimed James Harrison, after the Ravens released him?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Doug Legursky can long snap.

Preacher
09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Doug Legursky can long snap.

Dont know. I have never seen him do that... have you?

Godfather
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Dont know. I have never seen him do that... have you?

Dunno. But if we have a player who can double as a backup LS, we should keep him. It's a lot better than having a backup just for long snapping.

Tone's Toes
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Isaac Redman
Sonny Harris
A.Q. Shipley
Donavon Woods
Roy Lewis
Bruce Davis
Steve McClendon
Brandon Williams (if eligible)

The Lakelander
09-05-2009, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;651422]

These guys have a shot.

Bruce Davis
Roy Lewis
Isaac Redman
AQ Shipley
Sonny Harris
Jason Capizzi
Steve McLendon

So do these guys.

Scott Paxson
Justin Vincent
Donovan Woods
Andy Schantz
Tom Korte
Derrick Richardson

But I'm willing to bet we sign a player or two from elsewhere this time.

Preacher
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
[quote=tony hipchest;651422]

These guys have a shot.

Bruce Davis
Roy Lewis
Isaac Redman
AQ Shipley
Sonny Harris
Jason Capizzi
Steve McLendon

So do these guys.

Scott Paxson
Justin Vincent
Donovan Woods
Andy Schantz
Tom Korte
Derrick Richardson

But I'm willing to bet we sign a player or two from elsewhere this time.
Usually if we sign a player from elsewhere...its because they are a long shot to actually fill a hole that we have. However this year, I dont know if we have any holes to fill.

Shoes
09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
kickers on the actual squad dont even "practice". they kick balls, play games, goof off, and do things like putting frogs in the real players helmets.

jeff reed was scraped up off of the street , and im sure any replacement kicker we may need, will be too.

Just like we picked up a punter or two last year :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-05-2009, 11:00 PM
yes, legursky can long snap. at least that appears to be the case according to a couple of comments i found below...

"We're all excited," said Legursky, also an aspiring long snapper who trained with former Marshall star and retired NFL standout Mike Bartrum to learn the necessary skills at that position

and from 2008...Legursky told Anthony Hanshew of The (Huntington) Herald-Dispatch. Im going to be working hard to earn the respect of the veterans and coaches and find my way to the top. Legursky has been working out at the HIT Center in Huntington, and back in early March had a long-snapping clinic with former Marshall, Philadelphia Eagles and All-Pro long snapper Mike Bartrum. Legursky hoped long snapping, which he picked up rapidly, will enhance his chances of making the team

dunkuntou
09-05-2009, 11:20 PM
yes, legursky can long snap. at least that appears to be the case according to a couple of comments i found below...

and from 2008...

Read carefully. He has never long snapped in a game...its a lot different in a game with guys barrelling over you and he is too important as a backup to be snapping on the side at this point with Greg Warren.

He would be option #1 if Warren was hurt but not a realistic option.

As far as the practice squad goes I guarantee Steve McLendon will be on the practice squad.

SunshineMan21
09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Why no love for Mike Reilly? We may not need a QB at the minute, but I was very impressed with his preseason play. When Batch goes, he'll fit right in behind Ben and Dixon. May not want to spend the roster spot for a future third QB, but to me he showed more promise than some of the other cuts . .

Steeldude
09-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Read carefully. He has never long snapped in a game.

i don't think harrison long snapped in the NFL until last year. legursky would be the emergency backup.

He would be option #1 if Warren was hurt but not a realistic option

so who would be the realistic option? harrison? that didn't work out too well :smile:

7willBheaven
09-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I read somewhere that C. Davis, Madison, Paxon, Parquet, and B. Williams are not eligible for the PS....just to pass this along.

tony hipchest
09-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I read somewhere that C. Davis, Madison, Paxon, Parquet, and B. Williams are not eligible for the PS....just to pass this along.

jim wexell's twitter perhaps?

All but CDavis, Madison, Paxson, Parquet, BWilliams eligible for 8-man practice squad if clear waivers. #steelers

as for mike reiley at qb, he would NEVER have a shot at sniffing the field in live game action for the B&G, and dixon is there to run the practice teams.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Keeping a long snapper on the PS is not worth it if that is the only reason the player is on the PS. The injury last year to our long snapper happened during a game. You can't call someone off your practice squad during a game. The PS should be for developing players, IMO. Just like last season, I am sure the Steelers have the phone numbers of a few out of work long snappers they can call Monday morning to get on a flight. if need be.

sharkweek
09-06-2009, 02:31 AM

While I get the joke, in all seriousness an extra long snapper on the PS won't help if the starter is injured during the game, the backup wouldn't be activated and thus would be unable to come in to relieve.

wyn50
09-06-2009, 02:52 AM
How often does a long snapper get hurt?.....except for steelers last season. Maybe Harrison has been practicing in the off season.

Galax Steeler
09-06-2009, 07:02 AM
I would like to see Woods and Redman make it to the practice squad. I think they have the talent to play at the nfl level. They just need some playing time and they should be just fine.

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 09:26 AM

All of em have game experiance. The PS is for young guys who havent played more then 10 quarters of NFL football I think.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
How often does a long snapper get hurt?.....except for steelers last season. Maybe Harrison has been practicing in the off season.

Legursky can long snap, so its irrelevant.

I was hoping Sonny Harris would make the PS, but not surprising that he got picked up by the Panthers. I did think Capizzi would make the PS though.

dunkuntou
09-06-2009, 06:22 PM
i don't think harrison long snapped in the NFL until last year. legursky would be the emergency backup.

so who would be the realistic option? harrison? that didn't work out too well :smile:

They would sign one. Legursky would be the emergency option but if Warren went down, even for a week, you would see someone signed. Guaranteed