PDA

View Full Version : Redman as next BUS talk can stop now?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
The idea of Redman being the next Jerome Bettis or the next elite Pittsburgh Steelers running back can finally stop. He ran against the oponents 2nd and 3rd string defense. Also, he contributed nothing on special teams, to make his statement as a early backup.
Yes, it would have been great had he made the team and was the next BUS.... But please. lets not make Redman the next Kuhn...... Cause we all know the is no talent like Kuhn talent!

stillers4me
09-05-2009, 04:48 PM
And can the backlash against anyone rooting for the kid stop now?

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Where is KUHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I rooted for the kid too..... I was one that wanted him to be the next Jerome Bettis..(as this would only make our Steelers better)... This is more a lets not make a next Kuhn candidate thread more than anything......

Steel Head
09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
And can the backlash against anyone rooting for the kid stop now?

+1

dumb thread

steelwalls
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I dont care who the short yardage guy is, it definatly wont be the bus..... seriously, we have got to figure out a way to get those short yardage, to me thats our biggest problem right now.

JackHammer
09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I dont care who the short yardage guy is, it definatly wont be the bus..... seriously, we have got to figure out a way to get those short yardage, to me thats our biggest problem right now.

Agreed, and I think developing Summers into a solid FB will do more to get us those short yards as opposed to keeping Redman as a 4th HB and using a TE as an H-back.

mmalone
09-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Agreed, and I think developing Summers into a solid FB will do more to get us those short yards as opposed to keeping Redman as a 4th HB and using a TE as an H-back.

i would not write him off yet.. if he sticks and we have him on the practice squad
he can get up to college division I football level and be ready for the next Spring Training run and be better prepared. we may need him then too after contract talks with our current RB's... maybe he can work on some speed training... didnt wallace and taylor go to a speed camp this spring together? they can take isaac with them.

good luck to him..

wyn50
09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Redman is not an every down kind of back like how BUS was. Plus he is little to contribute to special teams. At least Tank played decent ST.

steelwalls
09-05-2009, 06:53 PM

I agree here too. Im a fan of a lead blocker, we ran alot of running plays last year without one. I think Summers is that guy, and can be a threat out of the I formation with a fullback hand off, something we havent seen much of lately.

stlrtruck
09-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Where is KUHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to CBS Sportsline.com

He's with the Green Bay Packers.

stb_steeler
09-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Redman is not an every down kind of back like how BUS was. Plus he is little to contribute to special teams. At least Tank played decent ST.

Did Bettis contibute to special teams?

pancake
09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Am I the only one gtting sick of the Redman bashing??? The kid gave it his all and came up short.

As for Lakelander, he made a bad prediction. No big deal, I have made worse... I said when Ryan Leaf was drafted he would be a better pro than Manning... :doh:

JackHammer
09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
i would not write him off yet.. if he sticks and we have him on the practice squad
he can get up to college division I football level and be ready for the next Spring Training run and be better prepared. we may need him then too after contract talks with our current RB's... maybe he can work on some speed training... didnt wallace and taylor go to a speed camp this spring together? they can take isaac with them.

good luck to him..

I'm not writing him off at all. He'll be great on the PS if he doesn't get claimed. My point is that I'd much rather have three RB's and one FB as opposed to having four RB's with the TE's playing as the H-back. I agree that if we're able to keep Redman on the PS that he could contend for a roster spot next year. But that's next year. And the big difference between this year and next is that we might not have Parker next year. If that ends up being the case, we'd be able to put Redman on the roster and still have the 3 RB and 1FB setup in tact.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Am I the only one gtting sick of the Redman bashing??? The kid gave it his all and came up short.

As for Lakelander, he made a bad prediction. No big deal, I have made worse... I said when Ryan Leaf was drafted he would be a better pro than Manning... :doh:

again, this is not a bash redman thread. or more importantly it is not a bash lakelander for his prediction......(im sure we all wish he was right)...... it was more for comparing the KUHN threads of the past.........
Redman did a nice job but the good thing this year is there was so much talent trying to make the team................

pancake
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I hope Redman makes it to our PS...

sharkweek
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
There's no denying it, the idea of "Redzone Redman" was sexy, but it was not practical.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
There's no denying it, the idea of "Redzone Redman" was sexy, but it was not practical.

yes, but i wonder what would have happend if Logan did not have such great returns?

sharkweek
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
yes, but i wonder what would have happend if Logan did not have such great returns?

Redman would have been our 4th string RB...

wyn50
09-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Bus was not on ST but he was an every down back. Redman had a hard time being on the field a long time. He looked tired and was even yelled at for trying to come out of a play. Having him in only for short yardage is not justified. That is probably why they wanted him to play ST. Tank seemed to play ST better when he is healthy.

GBMelBlount
09-06-2009, 06:48 AM
..... seriously, we have got to figure out a way to get those short yardage, to me thats our biggest problem right now.

Actually, we excel at getting (extremely) short yardage..... :chuckle:

Perhaps a good offensive lineman would help. :flap:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Actually, we excel at getting (extremely) short yardage..... :chuckle:

Perhaps a good offensive lineman would help. :flap:

How does an offensive line that returns 4 of their 5 startes from a superbowl win and then all the backups that have never played an NFL game sound??

YIKEES.........Anyone think Ben is looking for free agent linemen on his own?????:wink02:

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
How does an offensive line that returns 4 of their 5 startes from a superbowl win and then all the backups that have never played an NFL game sound??

YIKEES.........Anyone think Ben is looking for free agent linemen on his own?????:wink02:

He can certainly afford one.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
He can certainly afford one.

That is true.....

Looks like Redman will have his chance to make the team after all... Glad that he is signed go practice squad.....

revefsreleets
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Redman is just taking a DIFFERENT road to the Hall of Fame...

Seriously, though, it isn't BASHING to keep your head about you and recognize a kid with potential as just THAT, and nothing more...I want to keep him and see the Steelers work with him and hopefully cultivate him into a capable NFL RB. But every year people just go batshit crazy over 1-2 players and completely lose perspective and have a break with reality about these guys based on them having success playing against 3rd tier talent.

He's still with the team, and he'll be activated when the inevitable injury or two occurs (unless he DOES get picked up off the PS, which could happen at ANY time as membership on the PS is equivalent to being an active FA), and then we'll see...

The Lakelander
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Redman is just taking a DIFFERENT road to the Hall of Fame...

Seriously, though, it isn't BASHING to keep your head about you and recognize a kid with potential as just THAT, and nothing more...I want to keep him and see the Steelers work with him and hopefully cultivate him into a capable NFL RB. But every year people just go batshit crazy over 1-2 players and completely lose perspective and have a break with reality about these guys based on them having success playing against 3rd tier talent.

He's still with the team, and he'll be activated when the inevitable injury or two occurs (unless he DOES get picked up off the PS, which could happen at ANY time as membership on the PS is equivalent to being an active FA), and then we'll see...

My optimism for Redman is just as much an expectation that Mendenhall is going to be a bust than it is that Redman is an NFL capable undrafted rookie. They go hand in hand.

I'm seeing Tim Worley all over again with Mendenhall. :wave:

And for God's sake, if Mendenhall is a bust, then the Steelers need capable big bodies in there sooner rather than later.

Every time Redman got the call inside the 10 yard line this camp, he scored a TD.

To my count Redman had 10 camp/pre-season TD's to Mendenhall's 1. :laughing:

mmalone
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
My optimism for Redman is just as much an expectation that Mendenhall is going to be a bust than it is that Redman is an NFL capable undrafted rookie. They go hand in hand.

And for God's sake, if Mendenhall is a bust, then the Steelers need capable big bodies in there sooner rather than later.

Every time Redman got the call inside the 10 yard line this camp, he scored a TD.

To my count Redman had 10 camp/pre-season TD's to Mendenhall's 1. :laughing:

Lakelander, no need to suck up to the sleestack crap...

sleestack didnt pick anyone to make the roster either, that way he would not have to be wrong about anything. i didnt see a post from him on the pick your 53 players thread... just no backbone... just a lot of smart ass crap...

but yes, redman is from division II so he needs a bit more grooming, if mendenhall had this guys nads... mendenhall would be a great polished runner.

everyone just cant have everything... some run faster, some block better , some hit better... the best men are on the roster now....

good luck to redman.. hope he makes it next year and makes it with us.

:tt:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I will take anyone back there who is able to get in to the endzone... Redman still has that chance being on the practice squad. However, I would love to see Mendenhall have a big year

revefsreleets
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Lakelander, no need to suck up to the sleestack crap...

sleestack didnt pick anyone to make the roster either, that way he would not have to be wrong about anything. i didnt see a post from him on the pick your 53 players thread... just no backbone... just a lot of smart ass crap...

but yes, redman is from division II so he needs a bit more grooming, if mendenhall had this guys nads... mendenhall would be a great polished runner.

everyone just cant have everything... some run faster, some block better , some hit better... the best men are on the roster now....

good luck to redman.. hope he makes it next year and makes it with us.

:tt:

You don't even know what a screen pass is, jackass...so STOP trying to talk like you know what the eff is going on...

"Mendy as bust" is just about as credible as stating that Redman will make the team and unseat Mendy as the starting RB or that YOU should be the offensive coordinator. At least lakelander possesses a rudimentary understanding of the game...I respect him sticking his neck out there even though he has about as much talent-assessing ability as UFN.

You're a different story altogether...I'd feel bad for you except you just KEEP posting your idiotic nonsense over and over and over...

JackHammer
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM

I don't know how you see Worley with Mendy. Worley had two seasons to prove himself before the injuries AND A COCAINE RELATED DRUG SUSPENSION kept him out for some of the 91 and all of the 92 season. The length of that suspension was because he skipped two drug tests. The main thing that kept Worley down was his own attitude and drug problems. He wasn't just some talent that never turned out. He was a talent that never gave himself the chance to turnout. Comparing Mendenhall to Worley, at this point, is a joke at best. Mendy has 19 career carries, a freak injury caused by a future HOF ILB, no career positive cocaine tests, no skipped drug tests, and no horrible attitude. Sometimes I think people just throw the Worley name out there because they know of, or heard of him as a bust, but they didn't actually witness his downfall. That's why you have these ridiculous and baseless comparisons.

Edit: Edited for linkage to an article from the time. (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19931020&id=F28VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iuoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5112,4740118) Not only did he skip his drug tests, he did it so that he could go to the NBA All Star Game.

steelpride12
09-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I never understood in the first place how Redman because a possible starter in many eyes. Sure he looks good on paper, but if you look closely youll see he has been running over 2nd and 3rd string defenses?

As well you can't forget we have enough running backs. Parker our starter, Moore Mr. Clutch and now the improved Mendenhall who is currently our big back. Redman has some potential, but with the Steelers, no.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2009, 06:00 PM

OK, I left your Redman obsession alone because it was no different than many Penn St fans of A.Q. Shipley...................but calling Mendenhall a bust or Tim Worley based on the number of reg season carries he has had is a joke.

Mendenhall looked quick, fast, decisive at hitting the hole and caught the ball well in the preseason. I thought he looked very impressive vs Buffalo. Just because Redman has more training camp TD's, is no basis to judge superiority. I think your calling Mendehnall a bust already is a product of your Redman "man love".

I personally think Mendenhall will have a better season than other fellow 1st rounders Darren McFadden and Felix Jones will. Despite being the complimentary back to FWP.

The Lakelander
09-06-2009, 06:40 PM
OK, I left your Redman obsession alone because it was no different than many Penn St fans of A.Q. Shipley...................but calling Mendenhall a bust or Tim Worley based on the number of reg season carries he has had is a joke.

Mendenhall looked quick, fast, decisive at hitting the hole and caught the ball well in the preseason. I thought he looked very impressive vs Buffalo. Just because Redman has more training camp TD's, is no basis to judge superiority. I think your calling Mendehnall a bust already is a product of your Redman "man love".

I personally think Mendenhall will have a better season than other fellow 1st rounders Darren McFadden and Felix Jones will. Despite being the complimentary back to FWP.

Granted, calling him a bust is way too premature, I admit that. We all get to see how this story plays out now.

He's a Steeler and I'm rooting hard for him now!

I'm hoping he's everything you say he is ... "impressive", "quick", "fast", "decisive at hitting the hole". I'm hoping Mendenhall proves he is a 1st rounder worth a 1st rounder's big salary.

I understand how comparing him to Worley offends. Worley is a dirty word among Steelers fans.

Mendenhall gets his crack once again to show he is more.

And yes ... I'm guilty of Redman "man love". Can't wait for this kid to get his shot ... it's coming soon enough. :thumbsup:

theplatypus
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I never understood in the first place how Redman because a possible starter in many eyes. Sure he looks good on paper, but if you look closely youll see he has been running over 2nd and 3rd string defenses?

As well you can't forget we have enough running backs. Parker our starter, Moore Mr. Clutch and now the improved Mendenhall who is currently our big back. Redman has some potential, but with the Steelers, no.

It would seem that the Steelers disagree with your assessment. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed him to the practice squad. He may very well never become anything more than a ps player. But there's also a chance that he ends up playing/serving a role on the 53 man roster.

wyn50
09-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Steelers probably kept him on PS as insurance in case someone gets hurt or does not pan out....like mendy.

Steelers & I
09-07-2009, 04:38 AM

good luck to him..

I agree. I didn't bash the guy during the pre-season but I knew that the Steelers didn't have room for him. He wasn't impressive enough to beat out Parker, Mendenhall, or Moore, not even close in my opinion. There's only so many carries to go around and the Steelers were definitely not going to waste a roster spot on a short yardage RB.

Maybe next season Redman or heck who knows, an injury to a RB will probably get him activated. I'm am however glad that he cleared waivers. If the Steelers do happen to suffer an injury at the RB position, Redman will be ready, both physically and mentally to step in.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-07-2009, 06:44 AM
If the Steelers do happen to suffer an injury at the RB position, Redman will be ready, both physically and mentally to step in.

and....with something to prove!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Granted, calling him a bust is way too premature, I admit that. We all get to see how this story plays out now.

He's a Steeler and I'm rooting hard for him now!

I'm hoping he's everything you say he is ... "impressive", "quick", "fast", "decisive at hitting the hole". I'm hoping Mendenhall proves he is a 1st rounder worth a 1st rounder's big salary.

I understand how comparing him to Worley offends. Worley is a dirty word among Steelers fans.

Mendenhall gets his crack once again to show he is more.

And yes ... I'm guilty of Redman "man love". Can't wait for this kid to get his shot ... it's coming soon enough. :thumbsup:

Might have to wait a year for Redman, unless an injury happens and he gets activated. I really think Mendenhall looked good in the preseason, but will suffer from unrealistic expectations of a 1st round pick.

Just wait for the backlash when Ziggy Hood is not activated on gamedays. :chuckle: He will be the next target of "being a 1st round bust". :banging:

mmalone
09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Might have to wait a year for Redman, unless an injury happens and he gets activated. I really think Mendenhall looked good in the preseason, but will suffer from unrealistic expectations of a 1st round pick.

Just wait for the backlash when Ziggy Hood is not activated on gamedays. :chuckle: He will be the next target of "being a 1st round bust". :banging:

the hood deal would really piss me off. i was screaming at the tv for rey maulalauugugugu.....

he seemed like the animal to fit our crew.

mmalone
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree. I didn't bash the guy during the pre-season but I knew that the Steelers didn't have room for him. He wasn't impressive enough to beat out Parker, Mendenhall, or Moore, not even close in my opinion. There's only so many carries to go around and the Steelers were definitely not going to waste a roster spot on a short yardage RB.

Maybe next season Redman or heck who knows, an injury to a RB will probably get him activated. I'm am however glad that he cleared waivers. If the Steelers do happen to suffer an injury at the RB position, Redman will be ready, both physically and mentally to step in.

if logan wouldnt have popped up, redman would be on the 53.

BlastFurnace
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM

I don't think Mendenhall is a bust, but I would trade him straight up for Felix Jones in a millisecond.

markymarc
09-07-2009, 07:00 PM
It's obvious Redman needs time on the PS to get himself in better shape. His conditioning sucked during the preseason. I do love him being on the PS though. He could be our next UDFA gem down the road.

SteelTalons
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
It's obvious Redman needs time on the PS to get himself in better shape. His conditioning sucked during the preseason. I do love him being on the PS though. He could be our next UDFA gem down the road.

Get him in better shape, along with doing some parachute runs and anything else to get his speed up. And take another look at him next season... A simple project with little risk involved.

Might pay off for us in the end, never know. Worth a shot at least.

steelpride12
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Redman will only get better on the PS. We need him to practice many snaps with the NFL speed so when he finally gets called up this kid turns heads. His potential excites me and in 2-3 seasons we may be watching him on the starting offense, i hope.

markymarc
09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Get him in better shape, along with doing some parachute runs and anything else to get his speed up. And take another look at him next season... A simple project with little risk involved.

Might pay off for us in the end, never know. Worth a shot at least.

I completely agree. I love Redman being on the PS. One year on the PS can only be a benefit for Redman.

mmalone
09-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Redman will only get better on the PS. We need him to practice many snaps with the NFL speed so when he finally gets called up this kid turns heads. His potential excites me and in 2-3 seasons we may be watching him on the starting offense, i hope.

hes from a division II college.. hes a free agent... hes tough as nails.

he needs polishing... if he speeds up, we have a beast of a back.
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Psyychoward86
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I think i'll take him a lot more seriously (as in being roster worthy) next year, or maybe the year after that. I'm just worried that some team is gonna snatch him off the PS.

ricksteelers55
09-08-2009, 03:32 AM
I think it is not Redman bashing but more like being honnest and objective.

I would be glad to root for the kid if he really was what most people said he was.Unfortunately that is not the case.The guy had some succes in short yardage against 2nd and 3rd stringers and had a nice game against (once again) 2nd and 3rd stringers from the Panthers defense as well as something like 5-6 touchdowns against our D in some goal line drills.

If the kid was that good you can be sure that one of the 31 other teams in the NFL would have signed him to its active roster(when you know that each team carry at least 3 RBs)

the reality is that good RB are easy to find and like it or not Redman has nothing special.(in fact I think you can find a Redman in almost any NFL camp)

Sure he has a nose for the endzone,he's tough to bring down,but so was Tony Hunt and look where he is right now

So maybe some people will say that I'm a Redman basher,I'm not I wish the kid goodluck and hopefully I will be wrong in the near future,but til he proves me wrong I think you have to be honnest and stop calling him the next BUS cause it's a lack of respect for JB to have an unproven rookie compared to him after all that he's done for this team and the fans

BTW: There is nothing that Redman can do that Summers cant.