PDA

View Full Version : Calling out to Steeler Nation

mesaSteeler
09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Jason La Canfora
Calling out to Steeler Nation
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/05/calliing-out-to-steeler-nation/
Posted: September 5th, 2009 | Jason La Canfora |

As we all know, the NFL season starts Thursday night in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers begin defense of their crown. I will be up there in the land of Primanti Bros. for the game, and have been charged with coming up with a list of the 20 greatest Steelers of all time. Basically, this assignment sets me up to be a pin cushion with Rich, Prime and the guys on set roasting me, and good folks like you can blow me up out here in internet land.

I love it!

I am guessing weíll post this list of greatness on NFL.com by Thursday as well.

So, Iím reaching out to you guys. Who would you put on the list? Better yet, who doesnít make the cut? Thatís going to be tough. Two of my favorites ó Barry Foster and Bubby Brister, who Iím tempted to include ó alas will be left on the cutting room floor. And, for a franchise with this much history, a whole bunch of legends will be left off as well.

Iím going to get through cutdown weekend and get back from LA before I lock in on my list, so go ahead and feel free to influence me, and post your lists in the comments now. Iíll be reading. Hope you guys have a great holiday weekend.

Cheers.

(Top 20 Steelers? Well this would be a difficult challenge. One name I would insist on would be Rocky Bleier. Should any of you doubt this then read the link.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=38008&highlight=Rocky

- mesa)

pancake
09-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Current players on the list. Hines, Troy and Ben. Maybe A smith...

Cheppy
09-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Current players on the list. Hines, Troy and Ben. Maybe A smith...

Hines, Troy, Ben & Smith are hall of fame Steelers.

Farrior & Harrison should be in there too in all honesty. Woodley will be there 5 or so years from now.

tony hipchest
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
who the hell is this jason la canfora and why does his writing reek of vinager and water?

pancake
09-06-2009, 12:15 AM
who the hell is this jason la canfora and why does his writing reek of vinager and water?

:toofunny::rofl:

7willBheaven
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM

He's the guy on NFL Network that replaced Adam Schefter as the new scoop or whatever guy when Adam left for ESPN . I liked Adam much much better!

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Hines, Troy, Ben & Smith are hall of fame Steelers.

Farrior & Harrison should be in there too in all honesty. Woodley will be there 5 or so years from now.

Harrison has been a starter for two seasons. You can't seriously think he could be one of the top 20 Steelers of all time after two seasons? I like Harrison as much as the next fan, but until he is able to maintain his play for a few more years, he isn't even one of the top five Steelers linebackers of all time. Even considering Woodly at this time is quite silly.

Here is my list: Yes it is difficult to evaluate players from before the merger because of competition. I did consider Bobby Lane, but he played most of his career with other teams. Most of the other Steelers greats before 1960 also achieved much of their greatness with other teams. The one pre-merger player I did select was Ernie Stautner ( 10 time all pro)

The complete list of players in no particular order:
Ernie Stautner
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Franco Harris
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
LC Greenwood
Mike Webster
Donnie Shell
Andy Russell
Rod Woodson
Jerome Bettis
Dirt Dawson
Greg LLoyd
Troy Polamalu
Alan Faneca
Hines Ward

Ok, that is my 20 in no particular order. I know, I know .... I'll be flayed for having left Ben off. But honestly he would have been in my top 25 in just his 6th season. In a few more seasons I would likely include him in a top ten. However, the guys on this list had longevity as an additional factor.

Guys I think i should have found spots for but didn't: Aaron Smith, Carnell Lake and Gary Anderson.

steelreserve
09-06-2009, 05:00 AM
1. Willie Parker
2. Walter Abercrombie
3. Tim Worley
4. Plaxico Burress
5. Gabe Rivera
6. Carey Davis
7. Willie Parker (he really is that good)
8. Tommy Maddox
9. Chad Scott
10. DeWayne Washington
11. Lee Flowers
12. Myron Bell
13. Orpheus Roye 1996
14. Orpheus Roye 2008
15. Troy Edwards
16. Deon Figures
17. Duce Staley
18. Willie Parker (man, is he good)
19. Kordell Stewart
20. Beatles Rock Band

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 05:03 AM
1. Willie Parker
2. Walter Abercrombie
3. Tim Worley
4. Plaxico Burress
5. Gabe Rivera
6. Carey Davis
7. Willie Parker (he really is that good)
8. Tommy Maddox
9. Chad Scott
10. DeWayne Washington
11. Lee Flowers
12. Myron Bell
13. Orpheus Roye 1996
14. Orpheus Roye 2008
15. Troy Edwards
16. Deon Figures
17. Duce Staley
18. Willie Parker (man, is he good)
19. Kordell Stewart
20. Beatles Rock Band

You forgot Harvey Clayton and Willie Parker.

steelreserve
09-06-2009, 05:04 AM
You forgot Harvey Clayton and Willie Parker.

Dude, I should've put Willie Parker at #20 also, and Les Claypool right before him and Harvey Birdman just before both of them.

Vis
09-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Whizzer White

solardave
09-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Ernie Stautner
Lynn Swann
Terry Bradshaw
Ernie Holmes
Dwight White
Jack Ham
Mel Blount
Donnie Shell
LC Greenwood
Rod Woodson
Jerome Bettis
Troy Polamolu
Louis Lipps
Mike Webster (gave his life for the game)
Dermonti Dawson
Greg Loyd
Kevin Greene
Hines Ward
Franco Harris
Rocky Blier
Merril Hoge
John Banazak
Carnel Lake
Aaron Smith
Casey Hampton
Santonio Holmes (almost there and will be)

solardave
09-06-2009, 07:51 AM
A list of 20 is not long enough! Example.
Lets look at guys who moved on that were great.
1) Rod Woodson (Dan Rooney says that he regretted not doing what it takes to keep him here until he retired)
2) Mike Meriwheather (awesome LB)
3) Someone help me here.
Dallas had a wide receiver that played I'm pretty sure in SBX
that started with the Steelers but didn't make the team.
It's early in the morning but I'm sure there are several I'm missing here.
Oh yeah-Chad Brown

sharkweek
09-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Harrison has been a starter for two seasons. You can't seriously think he could be one of the top 20 Steelers of all time after two seasons? I like Harrison as much as the next fan, but until he is able to maintain his play for a few more years, he isn't even one of the top five Steelers linebackers of all time. Even considering Woodly at this time is quite silly.

Here is my list: Yes it is difficult to evaluate players from before the merger because of competition. I did consider Bobby Lane, but he played most of his career with other teams. Most of the other Steelers greats before 1960 also achieved much of their greatness with other teams. The one pre-merger player I did select was Ernie Stautner ( 10 time all pro)

Ernie Stautner
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Franco Harris
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
LC Greenwood
Mike Webster
Donnie Shell
Andy Russell
Rod Woodson
Jerome Bettis
Dirt Dawson
Greg LLoyd
Troy Polamalu
Alan Faneca
Hines Ward

Ok, that is my 20 in no particular order. I know, I know .... I'll be flayed for having left Ben off. But honestly he would have been in my top 25 in just his 6th season. In a few more seasons I would likely include him in a top ten. However, the guys on this list had longevity as an additional factor.

Guys I think i should have found spots for but didn't: Aaron Smith, Carnell Lake and Gary Anderson.

Yes, but I think its a bit more fun to speculate on who might be there. A guy like LaMarr Woodley is certainly on a breakneck pace, if he plays long enough he's certainly in. However that is the catch - there's no guaranteeing he'll be here for the majority of his career. On the flip side, its an extremely safe bet that Ben will be here for the long haul, and thus many would consider it safe to include him in a list.

Of course, even if he does play ~15 seasons and brings us ~6 Superbowls (assuming his average keeps up :flap:), if he pulls a Favre and joins the Browns for 16th+ season then there's no way he gets on that list :fingers: But then Favre only brought 1 Superbowl to Green Bay, I think I might forgive Ben for doing such a thing if he does bring us ~6. Of course we should never have to worry about something like that happening, as it never will, because I'm sure Ben would know that we would kill him on the field, as well as the fact that the Browns are the Browns...at least Favre has a chance to win games with the Vikings.

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Ernie Stautner
Byron White
Elbie Nickel
Bobby Layne
Andy Russell
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Jack Lambert
Jack Ham
Mike Webster
Franco Harris
Rocky Bleir
John Stallworth
Rod Woodson
Dermonti Dawson
Alan Faneca
Hines Ward
Ben Roethlisberger
Mel Blount
L.C Greenwood

pancake
09-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Ernie Stautner
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Franco Harris
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
LC Greenwood
Mike Webster
Donnie Shell
Andy Russell
Rod Woodson
Jerome Bettis
Dirt Dawson
Greg LLoyd
Troy Polamalu
Alan Faneca
Hines Ward

:drink:
I really like your list, but I would replace Shell with Lake. I was a big DS fan, but IMO, lake was better. I want to put Ben on your list, but can't make up my mind who to take off...

Steel Head
09-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Ernie Stautner
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Greene
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Franco Harris
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
LC Greenwood
Mike Webster
Donnie Shell
Andy Russell
Rod Woodson
Jerome Bettis
Dirt Dawson
Greg LLoyd
Troy Polamalu
Alan Faneca
Hines Ward

Excellent list. But you got to fit Big Ben on there imo. Your only 5 years played argument isn't valid. You put Polamalu on there but he barely played as a rookie. Big Ben has actually started more games for the Steelers than Troy Polamalu has

I'd put Ben on the list and probably take Donnie Shell off

BlastFurnace
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Ernie Stautner
Andy Russell
Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Mel Blount
Donnie Shell
Terry Bradshaw
Franco Harris
John Stallworth
Lynn Swann
Mike Webster
Rod Woodson
Dermonti Dawson
Ben Roethlisberger
Jerome Bettis
Hines Ward
Casey Hampton
Troy Polamalu

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Excellent list. But you got to fit Big Ben on there imo. Your only 5 years played argument isn't valid. You put Polamalu on there but he barely played as a rookie. Big Ben has actually started more games for the Steelers than Troy Polamalu has

I'd put Ben on the list and probably take Donnie Shell off

I can't argue against anybody who puts Ben on the list. He was my next pick. I even debated whether to leave Troy off because his career is still young, but decided I couldn't. I guess the only argument I can think of for Troy and not Ben is that Troy has been "the best" at his position in the NFL longer than Ben, but even I'm not sure that is enough of a distinction. And I can't bring myself to take off Donnie Shell. He was a beast for a very long time. Just ask Earl "a pinch between my cheek and gum" Campbell.

Steel Head
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I can't argue against anybody who puts Ben on the list. He was my next pick. I even debated whether to leave Troy off because his career is still young, but decided I couldn't. I guess the only argument I can think of for Troy and not Ben is that Troy has been "the best" at his position in the NFL longer than Ben, but even I'm not sure that is enough of a distinction. And I can't bring myself to take off Donnie Shell. He was a beast for a very long time. Just ask Earl "a pinch between my cheek and gum" Campbell.

oh crap. i just realized that we forgot Bettis for the list also

he has to be on it

a top 25 list would be a lot easier

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
oh crap. i just realized that we forgot Bettis for the list also

he has to be on it

a top 25 list would be a lot easier

I had Bettis on mine.

... and a top 50 would be even easier.:drink:

X-Terminator
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Isn't this the same jackass who predicted the Steelers would be 7-9 this season? If so, eff him and his "story."

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Isn't this the same jackass who predicted the Steelers would be 7-9 this season? If so, eff him and his "story."

I'm not sure. I know Bucky Brooks predicted the Steelers would go 7-9. Is there another one?:laughing: