PDA

View Full Version : Goal line and short yardage back?

FacemeIke
09-06-2009, 12:05 AM
So who is our short yardage back now that we cut Redman? It is Summers even though we haven't even see what he can do with the ball? Or is it Mendenhall, who is fumble prone in the pile. I'm not completely suprised to see Redman cut, but I thought he would make the team because he was by far our best option in short yardage.

Steely McSmash
09-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Willie Parker is my best guess

scsteeler
09-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Willie Parker is my best guess

I agree with you there. Parker will be used more on goal line.

pancake
09-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I agree with you there. Parker will be used more on goal line.

:thumbsup: FWP will follow the Tank to the hole...

Steeldude
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
i don't think it matters until the O-line opens some holes.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 03:12 AM
I'd say likely Mendy. He is not a power back, but I liked how he picked up a first down in the Carolina game. I'm not sure Summers will be active on game days. It comes down between Summers and Johnson and David can be a third TE or a fullback. Summers can play fullback or halfback, but there would be 3 halfbacks in front of him on the depth chart.

sharkweek
09-06-2009, 03:26 AM
As long as the OL does its job, we shouldn't need a specialized goal-line/short-yardage back, any of our guys should be able to do it.

wyn50
09-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Just let James Harrison run the ball in.
:chuckle:

Preacher
09-06-2009, 03:50 AM
i don't think it matters until the O-line opens some holes.

Bingo.

steelreserve
09-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Parker until he fails, then Mendenhall until he fumbles, then we blame it all on the O-Line. And after that, we get bitched at because we bitch about the O-Line too much, and we're just fans running our mouths after all, and GOD how i can't stand how people come in here after a loss and say the sky is falling, so I'll just trust that the front office knows what they're doing, etc., etc...

But nah, it's gonna be a long season running the ball for short yardage again, unless Mendenhall and/or Tank steps it up. Screw Parker; he's only as good as the people in front of him, and that should be obvious by now.

steelwalls
09-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Combination Parker behind Summers with a touch of Full Back hand offs here and there.

mmalone
09-06-2009, 06:33 AM
this will all end when Summers carries 4 guys into the end zone for 6.

and he blows holes open for Parker and Mendy for another 6.

you guys tell me i dont have faith in the OC and his crew.

they picked the best player for the job.

they addressed a problem we had. let it play out.

Galax Steeler
09-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I say Mendenhall will step up this year and get some goal line looks. He is looking much better this year and hitting the holes quicker then last year. We have to remember that he was injured last year and didn't play much so he is only going to get better with each carry.

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Willie is da man

KFFL - Steelers | Tomlin says Willie Parker is the team's feature back

Kevin Gorman, of The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said RB Willie Parker is the team's feature running back. "Willie Parker's our runner. Rashard's (Mendenhall) done a nice job and he's going to get an opportunity to get his touches, but more important than anything else, Willie Parker is our runner," Tomlin said. He made it clear he has no plans to rotate the two during games.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Well.......Since we didnt cut Hampton this year.... and obvously he is worthless in anyother position......maybe we could put him in for short yardage????
:coffee:

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Mendenhall behind Summers or Summers behind Johnson

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Willie/Mendenhall/Moore - that's our running backs. period. The order won't change.

Any back-ups won't even be suited up on the 45 man roster for gamedays barring injury.

Psyychoward86
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
goddammit with these threads

revefsreleets
09-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Mendy I think gets the short/GL carries. Melo the 3rd down and long down looks, Parker everything else...

Steel Head
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
i think both Parker and Mendenall will get their shots

If that ain't workin then go with Summers with Johnson leading the way

Arians will probably go 5-wide on the goalline LOL

LVSteelersfan
09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Summers was put on the team as a FB. He would only be an emergency HB like Russell was last year. I can't see that Frank the Tank won't suit up because he does STs and is the only true FB on the team.

steelpride12
09-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Unless the OL steps up and creates a force, pressure, and a hole it doesn't matter. Guessing Parker for now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Unless the OL steps up and creates a force, pressure, and a hole it doesn't matter. Guessing Parker for now.

This is the opinion that I never fully understand.

On a goal line play, the defense basically puts a defender in every gap and the ILB's flow to the RB's. Essentially ist 300lb O lineman on 300lb D lineman. There is no excellent odds that "the O line will open some holes".

It becomes a chess match on goal line and what you want to see is a crack opened by a x-block or trap, then the FB (or H-Back) lead thru that small crack to get the LB before he fills it, so the RB(my guess will be Mendenhall) can get positive yardage.

I think despite what KFFL is reporting:rolleyes: we can expect to see some kind of combination in the backfield of Johnson or McHugh leading for Mendenhall.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 05:03 PM
This is the opinion that I never fully understand.

On a goal line play, the defense basically puts a defender in every gap and the ILB's flow to the RB's. Essentially ist 300lb O lineman on 300lb D lineman. There is no excellent odds that "the O line will open some holes".

It becomes a chess match on goal line and what you want to see is a crack opened by a x-block or trap, then the FB (or H-Back) lead thru that small crack to get the LB before he fills it, so the RB(my guess will be Mendenhall) can get positive yardage.

I think despite what KFFL is reporting:rolleyes: we can expect to see some kind of combination in the backfield of Johnson or McHugh leading for Mendenhall.

Well it won't be McHugh - he is done for the season. I agree that it will probably be Johnson and Mendy to start the year with tank being inactive, but who knows.:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Well it won't be McHugh - he is done for the season. I agree that it will probably be Johnson and Mendy to start the year with tank being inactive, but who knows.:noidea:

Has McHugh been officially placed on IR??

I just laugh at half the fan base saying "the O line needs to open holes on the goal line" and the other saying "we need a short yardage back". You need a bit of both with some solid play selection.

To paraphrase a poster here that I admire..........."you need balance":wink:

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Has McHugh been officially placed on IR??

I just laugh at half the fan base saying "the O line needs to open holes on the goal line" and the other saying "we need a short yardage back". You need a bit of both with some solid play selection.

To paraphrase a poster here that I admire..........."you need balance":wink:

Yes, he is listed as such on the Steelers official site. I guess they still might be interested in him for next season with Speath likely becoming a RFA (due to no CBA).

The Lakelander
09-06-2009, 06:46 PM
they picked the best player for the job.

they addressed a problem we had. let it play out.

I agree with that. Frank Summers is an upgrade over Carey Davis. He needs a little bit of time to develop good habits, but he's stronger and more deliberate in his blocks.

Tank leading into the hole is going to be a fun thing to watch this year. :thumbsup:

Parker should be happy.

mmalone
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree with that. Frank Summers is an upgrade over Carey Davis. He needs a little bit of time to develop good habits, but he's stronger and more deliberate in his blocks.

Tank leading into the hole is going to be a fun thing to watch this year. :thumbsup:

Parker should be happy.

i just finished the replay of the game.

summers did good. johnson had some penalties...

but they both play hard.

steelwalls
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I watched thSB 43 again last night for like the 10th time. One of the biggest problems I seen with the run (in that game, allthough we did have some good ones) was the lack of footwork on the line.

Manytimes we had guys there to pick up the line backer but the OLineman or lead blcker just got twisted and fell down. Sometimes they werent even touched they just did the old fall down move.

Now... from what I have seen of the starters this preseason Im personally feeling better. Tank is an upgrade as a blocker and as a runner IMO. SOOOO many times Willie just needed that one block and instead of a loss, there would have been some huge gains.

I think Tank has the ability to not only dive for that yard, but give Willie a little more to work with too. I'm ready to see some runs out of the I so bad with Tank and FWP I cant stand it.

Edit and Im no coach....but if I could make a suggestion it would be not to run so much out of the 3 tight end set. Miller is a beast but our talent from there in that position drops tremendously, especially in the blocking department.

sharkweek
09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I think Tank has the ability to not only dive for that yard, but give Willie a little more to work with too. I'm ready to see some runs out of the I so bad with Tank and FWP I cant stand it.

I'm with ya here

steeltheone
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
It should without a doubt be Mendenhalls job