View Full Version : Steelers still not a sexy pick

mesaSteeler
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Steelers still not a sexy pick
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_641817.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 6, 2009

For all the talk about New England going for three consecutive Super Bowl wins, it was the Steelers who won Super Bowl XL.

Last year, it was supposed to be the New York Giants' turn to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

Instead, it was just the Steelers again, winning another Super Bowl their second in four seasons.

When the Steelers faced Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII, Bill Cowher who coached and personally drafted some of the Steelers who played in that game; heck, who won Super Bowl XL with many of those players picked the Cardinals to win.

Former Steelers cornerback and recent Hall of Famer Rod Woodson picked Arizona to win because of the Steelers secondary, of all things.

This preseason, ESPN's Chris Mortensen not only didn't pick the Steelers to repeat, he didn't even pick them to win the AFC North. After visiting Baltimore's training camp, Mortensen selected the Ravens to win the division.

Does anyone else detect a disturbing, anti-Steelers bias?

"We're not the fun team. We're not going to give you the headlines. I guess because of that, people don't respect us," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said. "All we did was go 12-4 with supposedly one of the hardest schedules in a long time and won the Super Bowl."

Opinions were formed this offseason with players from opposing teams telling Clark the Steelers won't repeat.

"We don't have the Chad (Ochocincos) and Ray Lewises, the guys they say are superstars. James Harrison is the defensive MVP, but that's still not talked about. People still say it should have been (Dallas') DeMarcus Ware. I don't think they view our guys as stars," Clark said. "It's like no matter what a guy on this team accomplishes, it's always a negative.

"You don't read about us on Twitter. Nobody here tweeting about the (cafeteria) food. We're very uninteresting. It's the way we're built we're built like the town we play in. We come to work every day and just carry our lunch pails. I think that's why people look at us and say we're not that good."

What the Steelers have done better than any team is win Super Bowls.

When the Steelers prepare for each season, their sole purpose is to compete for the Super Bowl. It's what they believe. It's their reality, their obsession.:tt::tt:

It's why Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes hasn't make public demands to become a bigger part of the offense, why left guard Chris Kemoeatu took less money to remain with the Steelers, why the players willingly sacrifice their personal goals for the good of the team.

Who do you think New England had to beat to get into two of the three Super Bowls it has won this decade? The Steelers.

Who was Baltimore coach John Harbaugh so eager to avoid facing in the Thursday night opener? The Steelers.

Of course.

"It's fine that people feel that way about us. But when you play us, whether you win or lose, you know you've been in a football game. You're not going to leave the same," Clark said. "When you go home to your wife or girlfriend, she's going to know you've been in a fight. That's our goal every week."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

austinfrench76
09-05-2009, 11:55 PM
MEMO to the Steeler FO: Please sign Ryan Clark!!! I love this guy!

FSUBoo
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Signing Ryan Clark better be priority #1 next offseason, just ahead of resigning Woodley and Holmes.

Edman
09-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Glad Ryan Clark notices the credit the Steelers aren't getting. Hell, the Bengals got more love than the Steelers this offseason.

Steelers win their second Super Bowl in four seasons? Bah. We love the Patriots, despite not winning anything in five years.

Ben Roethlisberger? Bah. He's a game manager. It's all about the Mannings, Brett Favre, and even Gloryhole Palmer.

#1 Defense? Bah. Only three players sent to the Pro Bowl.

Steelers win AFC North? Bah. They don't stand a chance against those powerhouse teams in Baltimore and Cincy.

MACH1
09-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Under the radar is a good place to be.

steelergirl07
09-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Article made me smile. Gotta love the mentality.

fansince'76
09-06-2009, 01:11 AM
For all the talk about New England going for three consecutive Super Bowl wins, it was the Steelers who won Super Bowl XL.

Last year, it was supposed to be the New York Giants' turn to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

No, as I recall, the media treated the Giants as a fluke and the cheating bastards were supposedly going to take care of "unfinished business" in 2008 until the Mighty Metrosexual went down. Then they immediately jumped on the Cowboys' bandwagon. The Giants didn't really start getting props as the SB favorite last year until they got off to the 11-1 start.

"We're not the fun team. We're not going to give you the headlines. I guess because of that, people don't respect us," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said. "All we did was go 12-4 with supposedly one of the hardest schedules in a long time and won the Super Bowl."

Opinions were formed this offseason with players from opposing teams telling Clark the Steelers won't repeat.

"We don't have the Chad (Ochocincos) and Ray Lewises, the guys they say are superstars. James Harrison is the defensive MVP, but that's still not talked about. People still say it should have been (Dallas') DeMarcus Ware. I don't think they view our guys as stars," Clark said. "It's like no matter what a guy on this team accomplishes, it's always a negative.

Exactly. Hopefully it pisses them all off enough that they go back out, kick ass and take names and take the whole thing again.

OX1947
09-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Doesn't every team whether they lose or win it all have the same boring, cliched "no one likes us" discussion every year?

Rotorhead
09-06-2009, 01:37 AM
I guess I don't understand why it is only offensive powerhouses that the media loves (NE, Colts, Dallas, etc).
Last 10 SB Winners:
Rams - Offensive team
Ravens - Defensive team
Pats - Balanced team
Bucs - Defensive team
Pats - Balanced team
Pats - Balanced team
Steelers - Defensive team
Colts - Offensive team
Giants - Defensive team

Only the Rams and Colts won with big offenses rather than great defences. The Pats had a good mix of offense and defense, the Ravens Steelers and Giants were all Defensive powerhouses which won the big game. Even when the Colts won, they had their best defense unit for years. The old saying of "Defense wins Championships" still holds true. Yet these bobble heads can only slobber over the Offensive capabilities of teams. When will they ever learn, in order to win at this level, you need a good defence, and there are times when a GREAT defense will carry a poor offense to a SB victory. Hell, the year when NE broke every offensive record in the book, went undefeated and was arguable one of the best offense ever (now I have to go wash after saying that, blah) they didnt win the big game, they got beat by a superior defensive effort . . . ah well, let us be the underdog again, those teams will wake after punch them in the mouth!

fansince'76
09-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Doesn't every team whether they lose or win it all have the same boring, cliched "no one likes us" discussion every year?

In the Steelers' case, is it not true? They've won 2 of the last 4 SBs, yet the media still jumps on the junk of a team that hasn't won jack shit in almost 5 years.

Rotorhead
09-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Hell, the media has jumped on the junk of almost every decent team EXCEPT the Steelers . . . nobody even thinks we will make it to the SB much less win.

sharkweek
09-06-2009, 02:23 AM
I guess I don't understand why it is only offensive powerhouses that the media loves (NE, Colts, Dallas, etc).
Last 10 SB Winners:
Rams - Offensive team
Ravens - Defensive team
Pats - Balanced team
Bucs - Defensive team
Pats - Balanced team
Pats - Balanced team
Colts - Offensive team
Giants - Defensive team

Only the Rams and Colts won with big offenses rather than great defences. The Pats had a good mix of offense and defense, the Ravens Steelers and Giants were all Defensive powerhouses which won the big game. Even when the Colts won, they had their best defense unit for years. The old saying of "Defense wins Championships" still holds true. Yet these bobble heads can only slobber over the Offensive capabilities of teams. When will they ever learn, in order to win at this level, you need a good defence, and there are times when a GREAT defense will carry a poor offense to a SB victory. Hell, the year when NE broke every offensive record in the book, went undefeated and was arguable one of the best offense ever (now I have to go wash after saying that, blah) they didnt win the big game, they got beat by a superior defensive effort . . . ah well, let us be the underdog again, those teams will wake after punch them in the mouth!

Pats relied a lot more on their defense the first few years that I would probably classify at least their first two Superbowl wins largely thanks to their D. And in reality, they only became a true offensive juggernaut after obtaining Randy Moss, and that ended up in a Superbowl loss...

Preacher
09-06-2009, 02:37 AM
ROTOHEAD...

Yeah, but also in reality, most of those teams were pretty balanced. VERY good to excellent one side, and dang good to VERY good on the other.

While yeah, we were a defensive team... it wasn't until we invested two big picks in our offense (Ben and Miller) to move the ball through the air that we actually won the SB (and then another one in Santo which paid handsomely this last year).

Balance wins... because while being a great defense is good... look how many points those defenses usually give up in the SB--

Steelers 23 (one of the top defenses)
Giants 14
Steelers 10
Pats*21
Pats* 29
Tampa Bay 21
Pats* 17
Ravens 7 (one of the top defenses)

Balance baby balance.

Not to mention... look at the offensive production the teams had to put out. I say it is definitely more balanced.

steelreserve
09-06-2009, 04:09 AM
what, you're telling me this ain't sexy?

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/casey-hampton1.jpg

what about this? you know you love it.

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-drunk-pictures1.jpg

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-2-drunk-pictures1.jpg

if our kicker gets accused of rape, I'm done with this.

mmalone
09-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Signing Ryan Clark better be priority #1 next offseason, just ahead of resigning Woodley and Holmes.

#1 priority. Second priority is to have clark teach keenan lewis the ropes.

i think keenan has it in him to be the big hitter like clark...

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

HometownGal
09-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Absolutely. :thumbsup: The Steelers are unlike any other team in many ways, but one thing that has always stood out to me over the years is that our coaches just don't allow any player, team or media jock get inside their heads. They just go out and play football. :tt03:

meelanova
09-06-2009, 07:44 AM
"When you go home to your wife or girlfriend, she's going to know you've been in a fight. That's our goal every week."

:tt02: :tt:

Well said Ryan!!!

St33lersguy
09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Keep the steelers under the radar I don't care. Wins=success not brady/patriot loving media

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Yall know the only reason we won the last 2 SB is the because we didnt have to play Tom Brady in the playoffs. Suprised no one on ESPN or NFL Network had said that one yet.

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
That's just one of the reasons I love Ryan Clark. He not only plays lights out, he tells it like it is.

The guys on Serius NFL radio love interviewing him. He cracks them up everytime. He mentioned one time that every time the Steelers hit someone a little hard, the NFL creates a new rule to protect the Patriots. The guys couldn't stop laughing because they knew it was true but couldn't actually say it themselves.

Milkman
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I like it when the media doubts our Steelers...it makes it that much sweeter when we prove them wrong!

:tt:

Cheppy
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Generally being disrespected is even better:grin:

jev7452
09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Yall know the only reason we won the last 2 SB is the because we didnt have to play Tom Brady in the playoffs. Suprised no one on ESPN or NFL Network had said that one yet.

i cant even count how many times i have heard that one.. my other favorite is that the two super bowls we played in "didnt matter" cause they were against the seahawks and the cardinals.. whatever, i like when people constantly underestimate and over look our boys, makes it even better when we win!

LVSteelersfan
09-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Screw the Patsies and that hoodie wearing jerk of a coach. As long as that A-hole is there, I will never respect that team no matter what they do. I hope their defense gives up 40 points a game this year. Unfortunately they will probably still win their division because the rest of the division is suspect at best. Maybe Parcells can get the Dolphins there again. But I doubt it with Pennington being the QB. He is rarely good two seasons in a row.

Steelers & I
09-06-2009, 11:25 AM
In the Steelers' case, is it not true? They've won 2 of the last 4 SBs, yet the media still jumps on the junk of a team that hasn't won jack shit in almost 5 years.

Hopefully this post-season, the Steelers meet them in the playoffs and scrap that "junk" for good. Those turds are finished, their run is DONE! I just don't see why the media is blind to it. :drink:

Steelers & I
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
what, you're telling me this ain't sexy?

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/casey-hampton1.jpg

what about this? you know you love it.

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-drunk-pictures1.jpg

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-2-drunk-pictures1.jpg

if our kicker gets accused of rape, I'm done with this.

She sort of looks like the same girl that accused Ben, she has the same ugly smile. The blonde in the background is pretty hot.

Sharkissle29
09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
great quotes by ryan clark, and i agree with all of them

Psyychoward86
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
When's the last time we were considered a sexy pick?

(Rhetorical question)

stb_steeler
09-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Steelers never get the respect,not from those so called BS analysis. But as for the real world, us the fans, yeah thats right. The real fans. We know, thats all that matters. So what if it was only Seattle they played in the SB XL. Wasnt Seattle the top offense in the NFC that year. Again Arizona with their top passer ratings in offense coming into SB XIII. Im starting to wonder if the reason Steelers never get their just due is maybe, and i mean just maybe its because the Steelers dont have the big numbers or stats and they cant figure why the Steelers find ways to beat these teams. Just my opinion!

Who cares what they think anyways.:applaudit:

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I like it when the media doubts our Steelers...it makes it that much sweeter when we prove them wrong!

:tt:

It's always sweet when you prove someone wrong. :tt:

Steel_Bus_24
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I love how people said "the stars aligned for us" during our XL run.....................

yeah because its so easy to beat the #1,#2,,#3 and #1 seeds all on the road:coffee:

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I love how people said "the stars aligned for us" during our XL run.....................

yeah because its so easy to beat the #1,#2,,#3 and #1 seeds all on the road:coffee:

but, but,but......Caaarson?

OX1947
09-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Most of the media are fro Ohio or Mass.

Hotrodder07
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
You just gotta love Ryan Clark. I really hope the Steelers re-sign him long term. He quickly became one of my favorite Steelers last year. I love his mentality. He's a works hard, and he hits hard. That's says it all right there. :tt02:

7SteelGal43
09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
She sort of looks like the same girl that accused Ben, she has the same ugly smile. The blonde in the background is pretty hot.

OMG....I was thinking the same thing. Wow. :laughing:

7SteelGal43
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll take our good old fashioned smash mouth work ethic over pretty boys wanting face time on ESPN anyday. :helmet:

Proud to be STEELER NATION :tt03:

CPanther95
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Football isn't supposed to be a "sexy" sport - so I don't care if we aren't the sexy pick.

The boneheads picking the Cowboys every year despite their continued ineptitude, and the Patsies - are probably also clamoring for the NFL to change their uniform policy to allow ass-less chaps.

jev7452
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Steelers never get the respect,not from those so called BS analysis. But as for the real world, us the fans, yeah thats right. The real fans. We know, thats all that matters. So what if it was only Seattle they played in the SB XL. Wasnt Seattle the top offense in the NFC that year. Again Arizona with their top passer ratings in offense coming into SB XIII. Im starting to wonder if the reason Steelers never get their just due is maybe, and i mean just maybe its because the Steelers dont have the big numbers or stats and they cant figure why the Steelers find ways to beat these teams. Just my opinion!

Who cares what they think anyways.:applaudit:

i'm sure thats exactly why! its the reason ben is always getting put down and its the reason that people underestimate the skill.. what those numbers dont show is true teamwork and dedication, not to rack up the stats, but to simply win games.. and in the end, what else matters?! i would take a super bowl ring over passer ratings ANYYYY day! *GO STEELERS!*

HughC
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Too much influence of fantasy football on the way people perceive a team to be, in my opinion. That plus the fact networks promote games based on each teams one most well known offensive star rather than defense and overall team play. Besides, the disrespect card is a great motivator, so I would actually prefer to be 'under the radar' rather than getting all the attention.

Why so much obsession with how much attention the team gets from the national media? Until the day comes that NFL standings are based on number of mentions on SportsCenter or columns on national websites, I don't understand why so many are concerned with how much attention this team does or does not receive.

Texasteel
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Football isn't supposed to be a "sexy" sport - so I don't care if we aren't the sexy pick.

The boneheads picking the Cowboys every year despite their continued ineptitude, and the Patsies - are probably also clamoring for the NFL to change their uniform policy to allow ass-less chaps.

My arm around a fine lovely lady, half dress in Black and Gold. Watching the Steelers kick the hell out of another team. What could be sexier than that?

StainlessStill
09-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I read about.. the first 20 words of the article, and it has me beat down, and my blood boiling for the season to start. When will we get our due? We'll just keep dominating the league while others sit back and soak up the crown of paper champions. We should be feared, and we are feared. 31 NFL are in trouble this year.

steelpride12
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
The Steelers don't go out and try to wow the fans with YPG or stats. There sole purpose is to play smash mouth football, dominate on defense, score enough points and win. You can't complain seeing we have won 2 superbowls of recent with this tactic. Being under the radar even after winning the Super Bowl is where i Like to be.

SI the magazine NFL preview has the Steelers winning the Division with an 11-5 Records. Winning the Wild card match-up against the Ravens(again), and losing in the Divisional round to the Chargers?

X-Terminator
09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
If we aren't going to get their respect, then I guess we'll just have to beat it out of them. Simple as that.

Cheppy
09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
The Steelers don't go out and try to wow the fans with YPG or stats.

No offense gained 300 yards against them (i think teams averaged 237 yards) & if memory serves me correct they gave up a total of 29 points in the third quarter last year. I think those stats are pretty wow-inducing. (just to name a few)

SteelerEmpire
09-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Yea... Bill Cowher and Rod Woodson was wrong to bet against the Steelers.... they just let the whole world know how inept they are in evaluating a football game (and their jobs just happen to be football analysts...lol) ..... Two knuckle-heads...... :flap:

fansince'76
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Yea... Bill Cowher and Rod Woodson was wrong to bet against the Steelers.... they just let the whole world know how inept they are in evaluating a football game (and their jobs just happen to be football analysts...lol) ..... Two knuckle-heads...... :flap:

They may have done it to avoid the appearance of being homers. :noidea:

SteelerEmpire
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
They may have done it to avoid the appearance of being homers. :noidea:

Yea, very possible ... But Terry Bradshaw always rides with the Steelers....:applaudit:

Kindjunior
09-06-2009, 06:01 PM
The National media, especially Chris Mortensen can go F*** a goat.

CPanther95
09-06-2009, 06:34 PM
My arm around a fine lovely lady, half dress in Black and Gold. Watching the Steelers kick the hell out of another team. What could be sexier than that?

Nothing sexier than a woman in a Steelers jersey.

But the sexy is on your arm, not in the huddle.