PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers actually use a fullback this year?

mesaSteeler
09-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Will the Steelers actually use a fullback this year?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Q: Is there any reason to believe that the Steelers will increase their use of the fullback as a lead blocker on running plays this year?

John Kaminski, Montclair, N.J.

BOUCHETTE: Coordinator Bruce Arians has decreased the use of the fullback over the past few years and I believe that trend will continue. However, I did notice them line up in more I-formation Saturday night.

First published on September 1, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09244/994705-367.stm#ixzz0QKNk4sMQ

meelanova
09-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I thought we cut Redman and Davis leaving us without a FB. Am I wrong?

steelerdave1969
09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Frank " Tank " Summers will be the FB... cant really believe they are gonna stick with that, but I hope they look for a true FB on the waiver lines

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
We don't need no fatbacks. Smashmouth is dead. Get over it.

We are a passing team now.

5 WIDE!!!

LVSteelersfan
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Carey Davis was a waste of roster space. Good riddance. Frank the Tank will get some time but I doubt they use a fullback very much this year. Why would they change from what "they" considered successful last year? (Despite the fact that they were ranked 23rd in the league last year) We can only hope that Arians has his act together and calls more quick hitting plays so Ben doesn't get killed out there.

SteelerSal
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I would guess that Johnson would fill in at FB when one is used.

Psyychoward86
09-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Still confused with who made the roster. Did McHugh and David Johnson make it? Out of those two and Frank Summers, i dont know who to root for.

Steeldude
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Still confused with who made the roster. Did McHugh and David Johnson make it? Out of those two and Frank Summers, i dont know who to root for.

mchugh is on IR. johnson made the team.

mmalone
09-06-2009, 01:35 PM
(Despite the fact that they were ranked 23rd in the league last year) We can only hope that Arians has his act together and calls more quick hitting plays so Ben doesn't get killed out there.

AMEN...:angel:

mmalone
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I thought we cut Redman and Davis leaving us without a FB. Am I wrong?

quote from Arians:

He played strictly tailback in UNLV in a fullback's body, and, finally, the Steelers this summer asked him to play some fullback as well.

"He was a good fullback runner, explosive body type," coordinator Bruce Arians said of Summers' college experience. "He's naturally built for the position. You have to have position flexibility to get dressed Sunday."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09246/995241-66.stm#ixzz0QLiNZTQY

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Arians rarely uses a true FB, so its not gonna happen. But, David Johnson and Frank Summers fit his bill as guys that can block and also receive out of the backfield.

mmalone
09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Arians rarely uses a true FB, so its not gonna happen. But, David Johnson and Frank Summers fit his bill as guys that can block and also receive out of the backfield.

they dont need the ball, we need the holes... it should work out well.

:tt03::tt03:

markymarc
09-07-2009, 07:10 PM
The only time I see a FB being utilized is in short yardage situations and goal line. Of course I am very happy that Carey Davis is no longer on the team and now we have Frank Summers and David Johnson as our FBs if used.

pepsyman1
09-10-2009, 10:33 PM
How aggravating
2nd & short and then 3rd & short...both running plays with NO fullback and NO yardage. How can Arians continue to keep doing the same thing with no success and not accept that they have to consider making a change.