PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Redman to practice squad - others

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Steelers sign Redman to practice squad

Sunday, September 06, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie running back Isaac Redman cleared waivers and the Steelers signed him this afternoon to their eight-man practice squad.

Redman was the surprise hit of the preseason. He led the Steelers in scoring with three rushing touchdowns and also with 145 yards rushing. In nine chances over two live goal-line drills in training camp practices, he scored seven times.

He quickly picked up the nickname "Redzone" Redman but when the Steelers kept just four running backs, down one from last season, Redman was released on Saturday.

No one else claimed him and he joined seven others on their practice squad.
Among others on their practice squad are center A.Q. Shipley, defensive end Sonny Harris -- both draft picks this year -- rookie defensive tackle Steve McLendon, running back Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod and rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham.

------------------------

Everybody can relax.

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
And there ya go...........

Are you ready for some kickass Steelers football?????? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/doublebeerbang.gif

Texasteel
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Steelers sign Redman to practice squad

Sunday, September 06, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie running back Isaac Redman cleared waivers and the Steelers signed him this afternoon to their eight-man practice squad.

Redman was the surprise hit of the preseason. He led the Steelers in scoring with three rushing touchdowns and also with 145 yards rushing. In nine chances over two live goal-line drills in training camp practices, he scored seven times.

He quickly picked up the nickname "Redzone" Redman but when the Steelers kept just four running backs, down one from last season, Redman was released on Saturday.

No one else claimed him and he joined seven others on their practice squad.
Among others on their practice squad are center A.Q. Shipley, defensive end Sonny Harris -- both draft picks this year -- rookie defensive tackle Steve McLendon, running back Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod and rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham.

------------------------

Everybody can relax.

Thanks Killer, Redman, Shipley, and Harris on the PS is good news.

theplatypus
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
It seems as though the Tomlin et alia have something in the wings since we still have an open spot on the practice squad.

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 12:59 PM
It seems as though the Tomlin et alia have something in the wings since we still have an open spot on the practice squad.

Good catch!

(maybe someone's cell phone battery is dead. :chuckle:)

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Great news. Of course, Belicheat can still come in and scoop up one of our players (Harris, with Seymore traded?) but if you sign a player off another team's PS, now you have to put them on your active roster.

fansince'76
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
OK - Shipley, Harris, McLendon, Vincent, Sherrod, Grisham and Redman. That's 7. Who's #8 on the PS? :noidea:

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
OK - Shipley, Harris, McLendon, Vincent, Sherrod, Grisham and Redman. That's 7. Who's #8 on the PS? :noidea:

Steely McBeam? :noidea:

WWIIOwheelz
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I am quite relieved about Redman. I had a feeling someone was going to snap him up.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Someone from another team?

SteelerSal
09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Maybe they are going after anoher teams dropped player?
A veteran o-lineman?

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Update

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-66.stm#ixzz0QLab4xS5

Steel Head
09-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Update

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers.

doesn't surpise me one bit

Steelers f-ed this up big time

they should have cut oldman Kirsche, he probably has only a handful of games left in his career while Sonny Harris is just starting his.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Update

Crap .. that was the player I wanted the most, oh well, sometimes they come back.
Otherwise, I guess Sonny will enjoy playing for Bill Cowher.

stillers4me
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
With the depth of talent we have this year, we were bound to lose someone.

OneForTheToe
09-06-2009, 01:29 PM
So now we need to go fishing for another PS player.

SteelerEmpire
09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I expect Redman to be activated as the 4th RB when Parker gets hurt....

Steel Head
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM

that's the spirit!!!!!!!!

redst3
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
OK - Who's #8 on the PS? :noidea:

Peter Czech of course! :chuckle:

fansince'76
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Peter Czech of course! :chuckle:

Don't laugh - sometimes those towel dispensers fight back! :chuckle:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Im very happy that they signed Harris, Shipley, and Redman....
-----three that i would like to see contribute in the future----(hopefully)

The Duke
09-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Rashon could easily start in place of kemoeatu

the panthers saw first hand how good harris is, and their run defense is awful now without kemo

Justin vincent would be activated first- More experience

revefsreleets
09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
So, does that mean that not ONLY the Steelers, but also all 31 OTHER teams failed to recognize the future HOF potential in Redman?

Please...

I still think the Browns will grab him, but I HOPE they don't. I think he could be a contributor to this team in some way or other down the road...

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I still think the Browns will grab him, but I HOPE they don't.

We'd still have the right to sign him first if they try. Any players signed off a PS must go on the other team's 53 man roster.

Godfather
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM

John Kuhn!

triphahn
09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Bruce Davis?

The Duke
09-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Bruce Davis?

Damn! forgot about him completely. I guess he's just that bad.....

to da raiderz!!

mmalone
09-06-2009, 03:17 PM
We'd still have the right to sign him first if they try. Any players signed off a PS must go on the other team's 53 man roster.

i think for at least three weeks... they have to.

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
The sky isn't falling!!!

Steelers | Woods signed to practice squad

Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:14:19 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced they have re-signed free-agent LB Donovan Woods to their practice squad.

Edman
09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
They should've let old man Kirschke go and groom Harris for the future. How many years does Kirchske have left honestly? Now Harris is gone. Wonderful. If there is one thing I hated about Cowher, it's his loyalty to vets even after they're way over the hill. Suppose Kirchske leaves. Who's going to step up? Eason?

Not one of Tomlin's better moves. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt him.

Steely McSmash
09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
John Kuhn!

He has a roster spot on the Packers. That boat has sailed.

While checking on the Kuhn-ster, I did notice that the Packers cut Anthony Smith -- attitude issues seems to be the supposed reason.

They also released Jamon Meredith OT -- said to be more of a project than they thought.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/249374-green-bay-packers-2009-cuts-ted-thompson-rocksthe-roster

tony hipchest
09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
didnt anyone watch john kuhn score the packers second TD in their game vs the cardinals? playing with the 1st team?

BEAST!!! :chuckle:

i am shocked they cut a. smith. i was sure he was going to be their starter and be good. his perfect landing spot is dallas.

nice to sign woods, and i agree on all the sonny harris sentiments. he's probably the fish that got away. oh well, we stole ziggy hood in the 1st round which all but makes up for it.

i cant be certain, but i think i heard or read that we had a PS player a few years ago who was offered a position on another teams 53 man roster but turned it down to remain with the steelers.

KeiselPower99
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Why was Vincent brought back?? Id like to have seen them go after Terrence Taylor the DT from Michigan who was released by the Colts.

Shoes
09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Why was Vincent brought back?? Id like to have seen them go after Terrence Taylor the DT from Michigan who was released by the Colts.

Agreed!

SunshineMan21
09-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Hmmm . . . why is Vincent still around? You would think if he couldn't beat out Gary Russell last year his days were pretty much numbered, especially now that FWP, Mendy, Moore, Logan, Summers, and Redman are all more likely to run the ball than he is.

Disappointed we lost Harris, but all in all it could have been much worse. We keep Redman, Shipley, and Woods--I thought there was a chance Woods might have been signed, and there are several teams (Buffalo, Cleveland) who you'd think might benefit from taking a flier on Redman.

spyboots
09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
The Rams picked up Anthony Smith.

We can still lose our PS players even if they are on our PS squad right now; they are free agents and can sign with another team's active roster if offered and if they want to.

HometownGal
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Bruce Arians? :noidea::chuckle:

Preacher
09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Bruce Arians? :noidea::chuckle:

:buttkick:

:wink02:

FSUBoo
09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd like to see us sign Mike Reilly to the PS

7willBheaven
09-06-2009, 11:14 PM
from what i heard about Terrance Taylor before and such i wouldnt mind seeing him on the PS...unless he got picked up somewhere. 4th rd pick...could be Caseys replacement...never know. Dunno how his preseason went/etc but still.

Meredith i heard good things about too...but apparently he's a bit more of a project than expected...so i dunno about him.

Da Steeler Soprano
09-06-2009, 11:14 PM
PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers signed seven players to their practice squad today. Each of the players had been with the team during this summer’s training camp, but were released during the club’s final preseason roster cuts.
This is copied straight off the Steelers site so I dont know which one is right, because Sonny Harris is not on this list.

The players signed to the Steelers’ practice squad include: wide receiver Tyler Grisham, running backs Isaac Redman and Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod, offensive lineman A.Q. Shipley, defensive lineman Steve McLendon and linebacker Donovan Woods.

Notes: The Steelers also announced several number changes to their active roster. Wide receiver/kick returner Stefan Logan will wear No. 11; cornerback Joe Burnett will wear No. 27 and wide receiver Shaun McDonald will wear No. 81.

Da Steeler Soprano
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
OK and this just in...The Carolina Panthers claim Ra'Shon Harris off of waivers. I knew cutting him was a huge mistake. (Sorry no link, i got this as a tweet)

7willBheaven
09-06-2009, 11:38 PM
OK and this just in...The Carolina Panthers claim Ra'Shon Harris off of waivers. I knew cutting him was a huge mistake. (Sorry no link, i got this as a tweet)

This is already known...as all this was posted earlier in this thread, no need to repost or make ANOTHER PS thread...i'm sure the MODS will be locking it soon haha...man o man.