PDA

View Full Version : Non-Towel related questions from a Titans fan.

UT2012
09-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Towel free zone.

Last year I think the key to the game was in the trenches. The Titans offensive line managed to hold up against the pass rush, and the Steelers had some trouble with the Titans rush. I will admit I do not follow the Steelers as much as I do the Titans, so could someone just give me the highlights as to what has changed for the Steelers from last year to this year? I know the offensive line was considered your weak link last year, does it seem improved? Were there significant injuries in that game or other problems that made the difference?

Personally I see a couple of different ways it plays out.

A) You guys come out emotionally on fire and we come out flat and you light us up. This wouldn't be the end of the world, nor overly shocking.

B) You guys come out and play better in the trenches, and it's a very competitive game. This is how I would wager it will play out, with your team having the favor due to the home field I would think.

C) Same as last year. Your lines lose to the Titan's lines, with a similar result. For some reason I doubt this occurs. The flip flop of crowd noise by itself will probably do a lot to make this less of a factor.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

fansince'76
09-07-2009, 01:00 AM
I doubt we turn it over 4 times, which I think was the biggest difference last year. I honestly see a close hard-fought game.

MACH1
09-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I think it'll be close, but if Ben gets enough time to pass then its lights out for Tenn.

7SteelGal43
09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
TENNESSEE'S GOIN DOWN !!!!!!!

ahem...I mean I think it'll be a hard fought, close game, with the Steelers ultimately claiming victory. :thumbsup:

MongoSteeler
09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Drive killing penalties, missed hot reads and blocking assignments. This time around your going to have the Steeler fans going crazy with the Super Bowl presentation and all the hoopla. It could be a long night for LenDale and company.

sharkweek
09-07-2009, 02:02 AM
While the Titans definitely outplayed the Steelers that day, the score was lopsided due to so many uncharacteristic turnovers.

That's most likely not going to happen again. With home field and some motivation (plus I think they're just a straight up better team) I see the Steelers winning this one. I don't expect a blowout, but a comfortable margin feels likely, ie 10+ points.

steeltheone
09-07-2009, 03:09 AM
The Titans have done everything in their power to motivate and and piss off a good football team. (Champions at that). Really surprised coach fisher allows this stupidity.

KeiselPower99
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
If its close all game long Ben pulls it out. He is Mr. Clutch.

SteelTalons
09-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Towel free zone.

Last year I think the key to the game was in the trenches. The Titans offensive line managed to hold up against the pass rush, and the Steelers had some trouble with the Titans rush. I will admit I do not follow the Steelers as much as I do the Titans, so could someone just give me the highlights as to what has changed for the Steelers from last year to this year? I know the offensive line was considered your weak link last year, does it seem improved? Were there significant injuries in that game or other problems that made the difference?

A) You guys come out emotionally on fire and we come out flat and you light us up. This wouldn't be the end of the world, nor overly shocking.

B) You guys come out and play better in the trenches, and it's a very competitive game. This is how I would wager it will play out, with your team having the favor due to the home field I would think.

C) Same as last year. Your lines lose to the Titan's lines, with a similar result. For some reason I doubt this occurs. The flip flop of crowd noise by itself will probably do a lot to make this less of a factor.

As much as I wish we'd just come out and unleash the hell on yall... I dont see it happening. I don't see the towel being a motivation other than to the fans...

The issue with the disrespecting towel in previous times was, it was a representation of Steeler Nation... When yall did it, Myron Cope, the creator of the Terrible Towel, hadn't been gone from this world very long...

So we sort of saw it as pissing on Myron's grave really... As much as Im tryna hate yall for doing that. Im honest at about the same place the team is where, it happened a long time ago now. I'm not as fired up over it as I was at the time.

We got the Lombardi in the end so its all good to me. And Im sure Myron's good with it too since we know he liked those things a lot, as we all do. :chuckle:

Do I think we will come out flat? No. Tomlin's not gonna allow that to happen but the towel is not going to be any extra motivation I don't think.

As far as how I thought we lost last year, we pretty much gave yall the game... 4 turnovers, you took advantage of all of them well. So I take my hat off to the Titans in the regard. But really it was a poor performance overall by the Steelers.

I really felt that the Titans were rather overrated. Just based off of the schedule you had. Don't mean I don't think you were the best team in the AFC South. But I didn't even think you were as good as Baltimore honestly since they had a ball breaking schedule too and they were on our heals all season, all be it we swept them. But I expected a similar performance when we played yall in December as the one we had against the Ravens in the AFCCG.

Looking at this Thursday... Its gonna be a hard fought game. It could go ether way really, but I really think we had a good shot at beating you. But on the other hand, Im sure you think the Titans have a good shot at beating the Steelers...

And you do lets be clear. Ether way you cut it its gonna be a great game. Both are rather talented tplayers, we both have good coaches... Not much else to say but wait for Thursday and we'll see how it goes man. :tt02:

Edman
09-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Last year was a close game until Ben lost that fumble at the Goal Line. Automatic Drive Killer. Things went south from there for Pittsburgh. More turnovers, a pick-6, and missed field goal. The Titans did everything they had to do to win, and they earned their win. We didn't. That's the bottom line. We're not mad about losing, we were mad about Tennesee's lack of respect for the Steelers.

Tennesee wanted to make it personal. And here we are. No matter how much the Titans players like to downplay, recant, or shrug off last year. Their antics are out there for everyone to see. And it will be replayed again and again leading up to Thursday Night.

Steel_Bus_24
09-07-2009, 10:23 AM
cowher put it perfectly after that game last year.........

The teams were just on two different emotional levels/directons.

We had just went through our toughest stretch of the season(Pats,Cowboys,Ravens) and claimed our divison,

while the Titans were coming off a far easier stretch yet still got humiliated by the Texans and the national media was poking and prodding at them.

While its possible the same outcome could occur....I expect a much lower scoring slug fest. I naturally feel pretty good about our team leaders to pull it out in the end

hope we get a good game and no injuries for either team

Rek
09-07-2009, 10:54 AM
As Steeler fans, we understand the meaning and message behind the terrible towel but I can understand how opposing teams and fans view it.

To them, it's just a piece of fabric that is used to cheer on our team. They do not understand the history of the team/Myron/loyalty, etc. and instead see it as a tool to "smack talk."

Personally, I love the terrible towel, but I think people take it way too seriously. I want to beat the crap out of the Titans because they are enemy for this week, just like the Bears are next week, not because they disgraced the towel.

mcopenhaver
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
give me the highlights as to what has changed for the Steelers from last year to this year?

By all accounts the Steelers are stronger offensively, defensively and on special teams than last year.

By all accounts, the Steelers schedule is weaker than last year.

Some speculate that this makes Tomlins job of motivating each week a little harder. Not a lot harder, just a little harder. I think it's awesome that the first game of the season our Steelers face one of the best teams in the league, and that there are "issues" like payback for 12/21/08 and towelgate.

If, god forbid, the Titans win, it will pound home the truth that it's not enough to be good enough, you still have to get the job done.

When the Steelers win however, then we'll know... this is gonna be one hellava season!

Hammer67
09-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I second what everyone is saying here. The Steelers are good for a few implosion games a season. Philly and the Titans were in last year. Turnovers and sacks were the difference.

I highly doubt the Steelers turn the ball over 4 times again. Take those away and it was a close game.

UT2012
09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
By all accounts the Steelers are stronger offensively, defensively and on special teams than last year.

Can you elaborate on this? Seriously, I want to know where you have improved, I haven't kept up with the Steelers as much as my own team.

GridironWarrior
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Gay and Timmons have the potential to be better than McFadden and Larry Foote, they are the cb and lb that they replaced.

sherlock
09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
TENNESSEE'S GOIN DOWN !!!!!!!

ahem...I mean I think it'll be a hard fought, close game, with the Steelers ultimately claiming victory. :thumbsup:

HAHA!!:sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Can you elaborate on this? Seriously, I want to know where you have improved, I haven't kept up with the Steelers as much as my own team.

Offensively the WR corps of Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald and Wallace is better than last season. The O line is the same, but Trai Essex is a big upgrade at RG.

Defensively, its pretty much the same, but I would say that Timmons being out is a downgrade from the game we played last season. Still the top defense in the NFL, but healthy.

Special Teams- Mike Wallace's 4.3 speed and Stephan Logan ( a mix between Dante Hall and Darren Sproles) will bring a much better return game than before.

pancake
09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Offensively the WR corps of Ward, Holmes, Sweed, McDonald and Wallace is better than last season. The O line is the same, but Trai Essex is a big upgrade at RG.

Defensively, its pretty much the same, but I would say that Timmons being out is a downgrade from the game we played last season. Still the top defense in the NFL, but healthy.

Special Teams- Mike Wallace's 4.3 speed and Stephan Logan ( a mix between Dante Hall and Darren Sproles) will bring a much better return game than before.

I would like to add this to gonzo assessment...

Our OL had a bunch of new starters in new positions. (LT,C, LG & RG). We have upgraded the RG with Essex. I think another year together should improve this unit. With that said, I am not happy with the play so far of the OL and I hope it gets better...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I would like to add this to gonzo assessment...

Our OL had a bunch of new starters in new positions. (LT,C, LG & RG). We have upgraded the RG with Essex. I think another year together should improve this unit. With that said, I am not happy with the play so far of the OL and I hope it gets better...

The only part I am not happy with is the normal Max Starks inconsistent play and Kemo still not recognizing some stunts. The left side could be an issue, but if David Johnson ends up as an H back, I think he will at times offer some real blocking help over there.

Lets just hope Starks plays like a guy that deserved a new contract instead of a lazy guy that got a new contract(the LT version of Haynesworth).

steelpride12
09-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Last season it was pretty obvious why we lost. 5 turnovers will usually do it. I don't see the Steelers doing that this season during a HOME opener after just winning the super bowl.
This will be a tough fought game for sure, but the emotion and fire will be there for the Steelers so of course i give us the advantage there. Will be a close score though for sure. I give it Steelers 21 Titans-17

pancake
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
The only part I am not happy with is the normal Max Starks inconsistent play and Kemo still not recognizing some stunts. The left side could be an issue, but if David Johnson ends up as an H back, I think he will at times offer some real blocking help over there.

Lets just hope Starks plays like a guy that deserved a new contract instead of a lazy guy that got a new contract(the LT version of Haynesworth).

I have seen Starks get man handled a few times this preseason, and I do hope he wskes up... :thumbsup:

Preacher
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM

The sad part is... and you know this as well as I do. He will play like both guys. It just depends on the play.

:doh:

How in the WORLD can a guy that has the ability to be possibly THE DOMINANT LT in the league... maybe one of the dominant OL in the NFL when he is dead on.... but such a schlub the other half of time?!?

X-Terminator
09-07-2009, 05:49 PM
The return of Sepulveda and the addition of Stefan Logan by themselves will create problems for the Titans.

Shoes
09-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Maybe we should trade him to the bungals:naughty:

SteelTalons
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Maybe we should trade him to the bungals:naughty:

Starks needs a criminal record to be able to play for them.

steelerchad
09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I made the trip to the Titans game last year and it was close until mid 3rd quarter.
I know one things for sure, they won't have nearly as many fans as we did at their house last year. If we had stayed in that game our crowd would have been in it and loud. We actually had more fans that day than we did in DC, which I was also at. If you look at the Steelers, they're built better than most teams, but not to blow people out. A blow out usually only occurs when one team turns it over, like the Titans game and the Pats game in our favor. I say we take this one 24-13 with a late score to ice it.

Our weak spot is still O-Line obviously, they should be better just by playing together another year, but only marginally better. Our D should be even better than last year and they were great most of last year with the exception of the Titans game and the 4th Q of the SuperBowl.
If we didn't turn the ball over 5 times and Jeff Reed doesn't miss a 27 yd field goal right before half that game is very different and probably comes down to the last possession.

markymarc
09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Last year we definitely lost in the trenches and to me our biggest downfall was the 4 turnovers. There is no way that happens again on Thursday night. I am very concerned about shutting down your rushing attack. If Chris Johnson has a big game again then it will be a close game. If we hold him to minimum yardage then I see a blow out.

markymarc
09-07-2009, 07:30 PM
The return of Sepulveda and the addition of Stefan Logan by themselves will create problems for the Titans.

I believe this will be huge for us on Thursday night. Sepulveda gives us a big boost in field position and we all know what Logan is capable of doing. I see Logan giving our offense great field position most of the night.

TackleMeBen
09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
If its close all game long Ben pulls it out. He is Mr. Clutch.
didnt he say that to someone.... alledgely:chuckle:.

i dont see the steelers turning the ball over 4 times like they did the previous game against the titans. i am sure tomlin will have the boys ready to play and win.

steelreserve
09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Last year, it seemed like Pittsburgh came into the game beat-up and physically and emotionally spent. The Titans did exactly what they had to do to take advantage of that: wear us down and play a mistake-free game.

It could happen again, but in the first game of the season, I think we're more likely to come out fired up and take the fight to them. I wonder whether Tennessee can win another grinding match after losing a couple guys ... and having seen Old Man Collins do his Jekyll and Hyde act for years, it's anybody's best guess what to expect from him. I think it'll be a close game either way; both teams are too good for it to be a killing.

stlrtruck
09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Towel free zone.

The difference last year was that the Titans outplayed the Steelers in every aspect of the game.

I believe our OL is still the weak link and I'd like to say they've improved from last year, but that's a wait and see moment.

I foresee the crowd getting to the titans offensive unit and disrupting their flow. I also can see the refs looking to throw a few flags on Ryan Clark and Hines Ward for hitting too hard. I'd rather they let them play instead.

One thing is for sure, Thursday night can't get here fast enough.

The Lakelander
09-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Last year was a close game until Ben lost that fumble at the Goal Line. Automatic Drive Killer. Things went south from there for Pittsburgh. More turnovers, a pick-6, and missed field goal. The Titans did everything they had to do to win, and they earned their win. We didn't. That's the bottom line. We're not mad about losing, we were mad about Tennesee's lack of respect for the Steelers.

Tennesee wanted to make it personal. And here we are. No matter how much the Titans players like to downplay, recant, or shrug off last year. Their antics are out there for everyone to see. And it will be replayed again and again leading up to Thursday Night.

:thumbsup:

Awesome post!

Right on the money!

steelers05
09-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Make no mistake The World Champs will be focussed Thursday Night, which is bad news for the Titans, I think Kerry Collins will be knocked out of this game, and the last thing Titans Fans should want to see ics Vince Young