PDA

View Full Version : Mark Tauscher to the Steelers?

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Pashos signed with the 49ers...the only other legit O-linemen that I see out there is Tauscher.

Mark Tauscher is 6'3 315 lbs and can play OT and OG. This is the guy that I hope Tomlin will pursue.

He made the University of Wisconsin-Madison team as a walk-on, was drafted by the Packers in the 7th round....yet earned a starting spot early in his rookie year. He is a fighter and has played with a chip on his shoulder for years.

I like this guy as a Vet backup...What thinks the steeler nation?

mesaSteeler
09-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Who among the 53 would you cut and do we have any cap room left to sign him?

Psyychoward86
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM

this. Tauscher is great, but we probably wouldnt, and shouldnt. I'm surprised nobody's picked him up yet.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Just basing this on Tomlins expressed desire to add some Vet depth to the O-line.

...the roster could get another adjustment soon because the team is in the market for a veteran offensive lineman -- preferably, a tackle/guard -- to add some experience to the backups, none of whom have played in an NFL game

....Tomlin kept nine offensive linemen, even after guard Darnell Stapleton was placed on injured reserve last week, but of some concern is none of the four backup linemen has ever played in an NFL game. That includes tackle Tony Hills, the No. 4 draft choice last year; first-year center/guard Doug Legursky and rookie guards Kraig Urbik and Ramon Foster. The Steelers, though, could add another if they see a veteran they like on the waiver list.

....Tomlin acknowledged he is "not comfortable" with the lack of experience among his backup linemen....

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996010-66.stm#ixzz0QRKqOxUr

I am not sure how Tomlin would address it, to be honest, but I think the obvious course would be to shuffle a player to the PS and cut a bubble player from there.:noidea:

In answer to the cap room question...Pashos just signed a one year contract with the 49ers for the bargain price of $2 mil.....I think we could swing that.

BKAnthem
09-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Shit Cut Hills, he didn't exactly thrill this pre season...

mesaSteeler
09-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Just basing this on Tomlins expressed desire to add some Vet depth to the O-line.

I am not sure how Tomlin would address it, to be honest, but I think the obvious course would be to shuffle a player to the PS and cut a bubble player from there.:noidea:

In answer to the cap room question...Pashos just signed a one year contract with the 49ers for the bargain price of $2 mil.....I think we could swing that.

Well if we could swing under the cap then it would be a good move. After all of these signings I don't know how much cap room we have left.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM

LOL...well...there is that!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually, I think Hills is just a solid punch away from being a good OT in the NFL. He got beat by Everette Brown on a spin move because he leaned on Brown. If he just keeps a solid base and punches with those long arms, then that spin does nothing.

Hills just needs a bit more technique, but he has progressed big time from last year.

As for Tauscher, I think you could cut Ramon Foster and probably relegate him to the practice squad. Essentially Urbik and Foster will not dress on gamedays unless injuries happen.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Well if we could swing under the cap then it would be a good move. After all of these signings I don't know how much cap room we have left.

As of 9/6/09 the Steelers 2009 salary cap total is at about 6.75 million dollars under the cap.

Steely McSmash
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I read from Dale Lolley's blog I think that they're looking for a DB for the 8th PS spot. Maybe that means they'd cut one of the 10 they kept to put an extra OL on the 53.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I read from Dale Lolley's blog I think that they're looking for a DB for the 8th PS spot. Maybe that means they'd cut one of the 10 they kept to put an extra OL on the 53.

They HAVE signed a DB to the PS...Tuff Harris from the Titans.

I would imagine they will move someone from the 53 man roster to the PS and drop one of the 8 currently there.

markymarc
09-07-2009, 06:44 PM
They could always move Essex over to LT and then have Foster or Legursky fill in at RG. IMO Hills has improved quite a bit compared to last season and just needs to learn how to use his hands a little better.

Steely McSmash
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
They HAVE signed a DB to the PS...Tuff Harris from the Titans.

I would imagine they will move someone from the 53 man roster to the PS and drop one of the 8 currently there.

Since they now have 11 DB on the active roster and PS combined, maybe they would think about cutting or trading one of those guys on the active roster to make room for a veteran OL player.

Maybe they'd even sign an OL, cut Burnett, then try to sign him to the PS in the place of Tuff Harris or perhaps even Vincent.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Heh, you all know who I'D cut, but I've promised not to bitch about him any more for today. Let's just say he plays a position other than offensive line.

As for the cap room ... I'd be much more interested in using that to extend Clark, and probably have enough left over for Holmes, Woodley or Hampton as well. Yeah, our backups are inexperienced, but the only way you get experience is by getting into the game. We can't baby them along forever. I bet out of the four guys we have as backups, at least two will at least be adequate if they're thrust into that situation.

Unless we have a couple of significant injuries, I'm not going to panic about the line getting any worse.