PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Logan likes being a secret

mesaSteeler
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Stefan Logan likes being a secret
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
September 7, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com’s James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers safety Ryan Clark got a good chuckle at the sudden media attention his newest teammate, Stefan Logan, received in the locker room recently, which included a certain reporter in attendance.

“That’s going to be all over ESPN’s AFC North blog,” Clark said smiling.

At the moment Logan, a 5-foot-7 CFL import, is enjoying life as Pittsburgh’s best-kept secret. But as Clark warned, it may not last for long.

Logan has been electric in returning kicks in the preseason for the reigning champs. He will get several opportunities to impact Thursday’s primetime season opener against the Tennessee Titans.

“I want to be a best-kept secret,” Logan said. “That’s fine with me. I know guys are going to be game-planning to try and stop the special teams, but we’re going to game-plan, too.”

Pittsburgh’s special teams were average last season. The coverage units and kicker Jeff Reed did their part, but the punting and both returns were glaring weaknesses.

Although it didn’t impact the Steelers’ Super Bowl run, they still addressed those holes in the offseason with a healthy return of punter Daniel Sepulveda from a knee injury and adding a host of return prospects via the draft and free agency.

In the end, Logan stood out most among the group.

“Every time he catches the ball I hold me breath,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “You don’t know what he’s going to do, and it’s a great feeling.”

After making the team, Logan changed his number from 41 to 11 to fit more with Pittsburgh’s receivers. That’s fine with Logan, who started training camp as a long shot and played his way on the Steelers' 53-man roster.

“It’s a blessing for me to be here with the Super Bowl champs,” a happy Logan said. “When I found out that I made the roster, it was kind of a touching moment.”

theplatypus
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
When I found out that I made the roster, it was kind of a touching moment.”

This might be the understatement of the year.

steeltheone
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I get that same type of tingeling feeling when he takes off with the ball....I just love it!

sharkweek
09-07-2009, 01:10 PM
lol, he isn't going to be a "best kept secret" once he returns one to the house.

Heck, even if he doesn't go all the way, as long as he keeps up his average teams will quickly learn that he is a dangerous weapon.

steelerdave1969
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Man, this guy is electric and he is no secret weapon anymore. He is just what the doctor ordered for our return game. Awesome pickup by Tomlin and Co.
:hatsoff:

Tinman
09-07-2009, 03:19 PM
He aint no secret... That dude can play.. This is one match up that scares me as a titans fan, our ST coverage units haven't looked great so far... Tell logan if he ses Chris Henry comming to duck, other than that we got nothing special brewing to stop Logan..GOOD FIND by the steelers

Preacher
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Here is the interesting thing.

It used to be, that every time another team kicked off to us, I would either 1, hold my breath for no fumbles or 2 (more recently) just fast-forward if I could until the offense came out.

Now, this kid actually makes punts and kicks more exciting! I can't wait to watch them now.

lilyoder6
09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
last yr it was the small signing of memo.. now this yr.. it was the even smaller signing of a midget rb from the cfl..

steelpride12
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Well after he lights up the field a few times this season the secret will be out thats for sure!

stb_steeler
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know if Logans starting?

SteelerEmpire
09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know if Logans starting?
Hard to say... His listed position is a RB, but he is listed under the WR colum for the Titans game.... I'm sure he'll get his fair share of punts/kickoff returns though since he's the best on the team at it....

Psyychoward86
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Stefan is electric. Now just imagine if our blocking on kick returns improves :jawdrop:

SunshineMan21
09-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm pumped for Thursday . . . can't wait to see Logan take one to the house. :)

HometownGal
09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I used to get a huge pit in my stomach on 2 occasions - returns and Batch coming in to relieve Ben. Thank God one of those pits will now be gone. :tt02:

wyn50
09-08-2009, 02:22 AM
i wonder if logan and wallace will be on kickoffs together. maybe potential for some trick handoffs.

Preacher
09-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I used to get a huge pit in my stomach on 2 occasions - returns and Batch coming in to relieve Ben. Thank God one of those pits will now be gone. :tt02:

Just two? I'd feel that way during punts and kicks, returns, AND anytime the other team put the ball in the air!!!

It took me 3 years to stop cringing whenever a pass was thrown! :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-08-2009, 04:05 AM
I don't think Logan is a secret anymore. Everyone in the league knows what he is capable of doing so I would say other teams will have to prepare for him come game day.

PalmerSteel
09-08-2009, 04:29 AM
this is going to be awesome. first time in i cant remember how many years i can actually get excited about punt and kick returns, knowing we actually have a decent chance to take it to the house! :tt:

Gnutella
09-08-2009, 04:56 AM
I was at the game in Carolina, and I had a club seat on the 10-yard line. Logan scored the TD right in front of me! :smile:

mmalone
09-08-2009, 06:02 AM
I don't think Logan is a secret anymore. Everyone in the league knows what he is capable of doing so I would say other teams will have to prepare for him come game day.

i would say come out with a wildcat..... not really a fan of it.. but mix it up a bit.
we have the players....

dixon, logan, wallace and mendy... however it would work together....

run it a few times just to get the other d's planning ahead for that...

i like the logan reverses in preseason.... double back with wallace....

lets have some fun out there boys....
:tt:

The Lakelander
09-08-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm tempering my enthusiam. It was just pre-season. :chuckle:

SteelMember
09-08-2009, 07:32 AM
incase no one has heard

Stefan Logan switched from No. 41 to No. 11

i was getting used to that 41 :flap:

This is just the final indication that Logan will be listed as a WR. There are only so many numbers a WR can wear, and the lower ones were only made available in the past few years. ie. Holmes, Sweed and Wallace.

steelpride12
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I could care less what number he is as long as I see his ass running over the opponents ST and scoring clutch TD's its all good!

Mobyguzzer
09-08-2009, 04:25 PM
My kid still wears Stephan's old #3 Coyote jersey........very happy to get to continue watching him as a Steeler!!!!

tony hipchest
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
#11 looks like a set of skis. after the way he slalomed through the defenders for his td, i say its fitting.

Sharkissle29
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
i know it may not matter to too many people out there, but i love the number change. im a stylish guy (like visors etc.) and its nice to seem him get an athletic number. #41 makes me think of a FB

mccray44
09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
i wonder if logan and wallace will be on kickoffs together. maybe potential for some trick handoffs.

Speaking of trick plays we need to watch out for one from the Titans, Jeff Fisher has been known to run a trick play or two, hell they pulled one this year in the HOF Game!

43Hitman
09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I think this hurts our team somehow. Mainly because our offense will have a short field.:chuckle:

Psyychoward86
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I think this hurts our team somehow. Mainly because our offense will have a short field.:chuckle:

Damn, i know, our YPG is going waaaay down :flap:

Blitzburgh 34
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
My kid still wears Stephan's old #3 Coyote jersey........very happy to get to continue watching him as a Steeler!!!!

Haha that's awesome. Former 'Yote here myself, and had the pleasure of hanging out with Stef after some games downtown so I was hoping we'd pick him up last year and then couldn't believe it when we did this year finally. He's basically what Jeremy Bloom would've been for us, had the NCAA not been jerks and suspended him due to his olympics endorsements. So the team has been trying at least to get a dynamic return man. Just appears that now they finally found one worthwhile.

Stlrs4Life
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm tempering my enthusiam. It was just pre-season. :chuckle:

Same here. Let's see what he does on Thursday night.

SteelersMongol
09-09-2009, 12:39 AM
i kinda liked the #41, but I guess it doesn't matter what kind of # he wears as long as he gets us closer 2 the endzone.

Galax Steeler
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM

Does this mean that Big Ben will not have a stealer year throwing the ball because of logan.:chuckle: