PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark Contract

steelerdan
09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Now that the cuts have been made, which include special teamer Anthony Madison, any room to sign Clark to an extension any time soon? I do not know the Steelers salary cap situation now, so maybe someone has an idea. I just want to see that hard hitting Super Bowl defense for years to come. Any updates or info would be great.

It is a shame we couldn't sign Sonny Harris to the practice squad. He looked to have a lot of raw talent.

Thanks guys! GO STEELERS!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Now that the cuts have been made, which include special teamer Anthony Madison, any room to sign Clark to an extension any time soon? I do not know the Steelers salary cap situation now, so maybe someone has an idea. I just want to see that hard hitting Super Bowl defense for years to come. Any updates or info would be great.

It is a shame we couldn't sign Sonny Harris to the practice squad. He looked to have a lot of raw talent.

Thanks guys! GO STEELERS!

The Steelers 2009 salary cap total at about $120,195,800 .....or about 6.75 million dollars under the cap.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The Steelers 2009 salary cap total at about $120,195,800 .....or about 6.75 million dollars under the cap.

Where did you find that? I've seen anything from $3 million to in the neighborhood of what you just wrote. Every source seems to have its own number after the final round of cuts.

But whether it's $3M or $6M, it ought to be enough to extend either Clark or Hampton (maybe both), and we'd be very well-served to do that.

Da Steeler Soprano
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Do it now!

steelerdan
09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Where did you find that? I've seen anything from $3 million to in the neighborhood of what you just wrote. Every source seems to have its own number after the final round of cuts.

But whether it's $3M or $6M, it ought to be enough to extend either Clark or Hampton (maybe both), and we'd be very well-served to do that.

I completely agree. If that is the cap number, especially right now, we need to lock up Clark. He really is a great prescense in that locker room and for our team.

43Hitman
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I would love to see Clark's contract redone before next season.

steelpride12
09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Clarks contract must be done this season or I don't see him remaining a Steeler.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Even if we have to break tradition and extend someone in the middle of the season, it'll be worth it. Otherwise all that cap room just goes to waste; it might as well be dead money.

Not to mention the fact that with the possibility of an uncapped season in 2010, the amount we'll have to offer guys like Hampton and Clark goes through the roof the instant we hit the offseason. Every dollar we spend re-signing guys before then is two dollars we save later.

Basically, we ought to re-think the idea of not negotiating during the season just this once.

Texasteel
09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Even if we have to break tradition and extend someone in the middle of the season, it'll be worth it. Otherwise all that cap room just goes to waste; it might as well be dead money.

Not to mention the fact that with the possibility of an uncapped season in 2010, the amount we'll have to offer guys like Hampton and Clark goes through the roof the instant we hit the offseason. Every dollar we spend re-signing guys before then is two dollars we save later.

Basically, we ought to re-think the idea of not negotiating during the season just this once.

No one wants Clark signed more than me, but you don't change your stand on such a thing just this once. Next year some player would use it against you, and it will become just one more time.

Cmdurand21
09-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Isn't there some kind of clause 2010 in the uncapped year that makes it to where UFAs are actually RFAs. I know that this was the case with DeMarcus Ware before the Cowboys hammered out his contract. Could this possibly affect Ryan Clark?

OneForTheToe
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM

I think if the team payroll is coming out of your bank account, then every dollar you spend now is a dollar you spend now.:wink02: The so called "savings" we keep hearing about, by signing guys now, isn't really savings, it's just a cap number. Furthermore, I don't think the likely no cap year will influence the Rooneys much either. They will spend what they feel is a reasonable amount on player salaries and not be frightened or panicked into spending more.

That said, I too would like to see Clark extended. Hampton is a more difficult issue because of the usual drop off for players at his position, when they reach their mid thirties.The other factor is we probably have some contracts getting larger over the next few years and maybe it is the out years that are keeping us from signing any more players right now. Also, someone mentioned earlier maybe this is the money they are saving now to extend Tomlin next season. Or the Rooneys are just cheap. :flap::laughing:

OneForTheToe
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Isn't there some kind of clause 2010 in the uncapped year that makes it to where UFAs are actually RFAs. I know that this was the case with DeMarcus Ware before the Cowboys hammered out his contract. Could this possibly affect Ryan Clark?

As of now you need a minimum of four yeas to reach UFA. Next season, if there is no CBA, that number goes to 6.

So, it has no effect on Ryan Clark who has been in the league for 8 years. It would have effected Heath and Harrison, but we resigned them. It will likely effect Colon and Spaeth next year. Of course we get two franchise tgs next season and there is also a rule limiting the number of free agents the top teams in the league can sign next season. So, if the Cryboys and Redskins were to be good this season they may not be able to blow up the free agent market like some think.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I think if the team payroll is coming out of your bank account, then every dollar you spend now is a dollar you spend now.:wink02: The so called "savings" we keep hearing about, by signing guys now, isn't really savings, it's just a cap number. Furthermore, I don't think the likely no cap year will influence the Rooneys much either. They will spend what they feel is a reasonable amount on player salaries and not be frightened or panicked into spending more.

Well, yeah, it's not saving money literally. More like, locking up a guy like Clark now is the only way we'll be able to afford him at all. I doubt we'll go spending money like drunken sailors when there's no cap, but certain other teams will, which would put Clark, Hampton, Woodley, etc. firmly out of our price range. So signing guys now is the main way to prevent that for teams in our situation.

I don't honestly think the Rooneys are looking at keeping money in their pocket by staying a couple million under the cap or anything. Even if you spend every dollar up to the cap, as an NFL owner, you've still got a built-in profit of several million dollars, usually more.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Of course we get two franchise tgs next season and there is also a rule limiting the number of free agents the top teams in the league can sign next season. So, if the Cryboys and Redskins were to be good this season they may not be able to blow up the free agent market like some think.

But oh, god, think of what the Raiders could do. They could sign every Pro Bowler in the league to a $50-million-a-year deal and still go 4-12.

austinfrench76
09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
SIGN RYAN! It rhymes! Serious need for Troy to keep playing at such a high level.

tony hipchest
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
im almost certain there is atleast 1 team out there that will make ryan clark a top 10 paid safety in the league. that team is not the steelers.

we have already made troy one of the highest paid safeties in the league.

Preacher
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
im almost certain there is atleast 1 team out there that will make ryan clark a top 10 paid safety in the league. that team is not the steelers.

we have already made troy one of the highest paid safeties in the league.

Very true. If he is looking for that kind of money... he is gone.

OneForTheToe
09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
But oh, god, think of what the Raiders could do. They could sign every Pro Bowler in the league to a $50-million-a-year deal and still go 4-12.

Lol - Al is going to sign every player in the league who is a FA and can run a sub 4.4. He'll have the fastest 195 pound Nose tackle in the league.