PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed

Galax Steeler
09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I just read over on cbssportsline that Jeff Redd turned down a contract offer from the team. His agent said it was way to low.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/303081

OX1947
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Damn it. The man hasn't missed a game winner his entire career. Can't lose a guy like this.

BlastFurnace
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
jeff is a must sign for us. I hope we don't try to get too cute with him.

Just offer him a lifetime supply of towel dispensors.

Steel Head
09-08-2009, 03:04 PM
he's the TO of kickers

:wink02:

TackleMeBen
09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
i hope they get him signed. i doubt he is the kind to take the hometown discount.

lilyoder6
09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
i know 4 a fact that jeff is looking for a contract like robbie gould has in chicago.. which is like 3 mill a yr

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh no, we might need to spend a 6th-round draft pick next year to get a decent kicker. Or go back and sign that Czech guy.

Seriously, Reed is awesome, but no kicker is worth $3 million.

aries4972
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Oh no, we might need to spend a 6th-round draft pick next year to get a decent kicker. Or go back and sign that Czech guy.

Amen Brother

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

OneForTheToe
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM

I agree. Sorry Jeff you are one of the best, but 3million - seriously. We can franchise him for less than that.

Blitzburgh 34
09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
The hell they aren't. Vinatieri did the only legit thing in those 3 SBs with the Cheatriots, and the result was 3 tainted SBs. But that KICKER won those games.

Compare that to Gary Anderson who missed one field goal all year in '98, and it was to win the NFCC and get to the SB. If he makes that kick, it's quite possible the Vikes win the SB as well. Or, Vandershank, who choked and let us win SB XL as a result. You telling me it wouldn't have been worth 3 million for either of those teams to get TO a SB?

Worth every penny if he's clutch and reliable.

fansince'76
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Agreed, and so will others after we lose a few close ones because we're stuck with one that isn't reliable. Remember all the folks that called Sep a "wasted pick" before last season? Same principle. Nobody appreciates a punter or a PK until they're stuck with a crappy one.

Venom
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Cant afford to lose Reed. Hes clutch !!!

steelpride12
09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
You pay the money for Reed any day yes! Look at the clutch kickers who win super bowls with field goals.
He is worth 3 million a year because he plays to that level and is clutch in the big moments!
Jeff Reed is a must sign!

BlastFurnace
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
i know 4 a fact that jeff is looking for a contract like robbie gould has in chicago.. which is like 3 mill a yr

Give it to him. He's worth every single dime of it. How many games has he won for us over the years. I don't ever want to see another Kris Brown experiment again. If anyone remembers the 2001 Ravens game at Heinz...you know what I am talking about.

BlastFurnace
09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree. Sorry Jeff you are one of the best, but 3million - seriously. We can franchise him for less than that.

You'll agree until we lose a couple of close games because our kicker can't make a 40 yarder at Heinz.

Reed is worth every cent of $3 Million.

He's a must sign. No if's-and's-or-butt's.

WeegiesWarriors
09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Give it to him. He's worth every single dime of it. How many games has he won for us over the years. I don't ever want to see another Kris Brown experiment again. If anyone remembers the 2001 Ravens game at Heinz...you know what I am talking about.

I remember the sign: "MERRY KRIS-MISS"

Reed's good from 45 and in. Long distance he's not good; plus I don't know what % of KO's reach the endzone but it doesn't seem like many do. 3 mil I guess doesn't sound like a lot. I kept saying during the Heath Miller debate so long as it doesn't prevent us from signing Holmes, Woodley, and Timmons (I think... we'll see after this year). I doubt 3 mil to a kicker prevents that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Exactly!!! :thumbsup:

Besides, the money they save on not signing Reed, they can use to extend Parker. Sorry, I couldnt resist. .:couch:

OneForTheToe
09-08-2009, 04:15 PM
You'll agree until we lose a couple of close games because our kicker can't make a 40 yarder at Heinz.

Reed is worth every cent of $3 Million.

He's a must sign. No if's-and's-or-butt's.

likely he will be franchised for whatever that amount is next season - say 2.5 and we will all be happy.

BlastFurnace
09-08-2009, 04:22 PM
likely he will be franchised for whatever that amount is next season - say 2.5 and we will all be happy.

I agree. Reed will be re-signed one way or another.

steelreserve
09-08-2009, 04:25 PM
The hell they aren't. Vinatieri did the only legit thing in those 3 SBs with the Cheatriots, and the result was 3 tainted SBs. But that KICKER won those games.

Compare that to Gary Anderson who missed one field goal all year in '98, and it was to win the NFCC and get to the SB. If he makes that kick, it's quite possible the Vikes win the SB as well. Or, Vandershank, who choked and let us win SB XL as a result. You telling me it wouldn't have been worth 3 million for either of those teams to get TO a SB?

It really depends on how bad the guy is that we're talking about as a replacement. I think we're overly scared -- almost paranoid -- because of the experience with Kris Brown. It's like if you're not Jeff Reed or Adam Vinateiri, you must be some schmuck that couldn't take a PAT attempt without shanking it out of bounds and killing a school bus full of children.

Yes, if someone like that was going to be the replacement for Reed, we'd be much better off just spending the $3 million. But it's not like every kicker is either a superstar or a total flop. And just like you inadvertently pointed out, even the really good kickers have an inexplicable choke sometimes. It's not like Anderson or Vanderjagt had a reputation for being unreliable before the games in question; in fact, those teams probably went out of their way to get them to shore up the kicking game.

I dunno. I hope we can keep Reed, but only if it doesn't hinder us keeping all of our everyday players as well.

mccray44
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Jeff Reed is a must sign, you should hear how nervous the 'Skins are whenever their shaky kicker lines up foe a field goal!!

billybob
09-08-2009, 04:45 PM
his own team mates may help contribute , so long as he can get them out of practice early .He is a huge asset to our team , and i am sure if there is a way ; we will find it , so he can remain a Steeler . If not , we move on like always . One part , is not greater than the whole .

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Good...Jeff must have a great year now ifhe wants to make some real money somewhere else.... i for one would rather the superbowls

Steel_Bus_24
09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Reeds more important to have then even other good kickers.....He knows the ins and outs of Heinz

we must sign him

Shoes
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Maybe the front office can work some stock options with a paper towel dispenser company. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
3 mil could seem like a lot for a kicker.. but the man has earned the right to be paid good.. we def got reed on the cheap with the contract he has now.. for what he has done..

and the think with kickers are.. they can go to there high 30's and what not.. give him a nice long contract and mess with the numbers per yr

sharkweek
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Yet even the Pats gave up Vinatieri when he became too expensive. There are some thing you do and others you don't. Paying big money for a kicker just isn't one of those things unless he can bring something truly spectacular to the table, such as being a top 10 punter as well, or can hammer 60 yarders with great consistency and ease, or a unique physical build (for a kicker at least) in that he's athletic enough to pull off fake kicks with high success...

As great as Reed has been, he really is nothing that special. He doesn't have the biggest or best leg out there, he's just consistent, although most importantly at Heinz, which is his only bargaining chip. But even then, how much is his being good at Heinz based off experience? Whats to stop any kicker from learning the ins and outs of that stadium provided they have enough time to play there and get that experience?

Agreed, and so will others after we lose a few close ones because we're stuck with one that isn't reliable. Remember all the folks that called Sep a "wasted pick" before last season? Same principle. Nobody appreciates a punter or a PK until they're stuck with a crappy one.

Your example wasn't exactly all that well thought out - we did just win a Superbowl in spite of crappy punters...good ones are a luxury, and certainly something we do not need to spend money on. Having Sepulveda back should help make our team better and improve our chances of winning, but kicking is just not a big enough cog in the wheel to justify top money for.

Psyychoward86
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Maybe he's trying to redeem himself from the Toilet paper dispenser shenanigans with a boatload of money.

fansince'76
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
....kicking is just not a big enough cog in the wheel to justify top money for.

Tell that to the Buffalo Bills. And top money for a PK still isn't a whole lot, relatively speaking, compared to other positions.

sharkweek
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Tell that to the Buffalo Bills.

If they spent big money on a kicker, they might not have had the money for the other players required to even make it to the Superbowl.

Besides, the Bills made it to 4 Superbowls in a row, and a kicker would have made a difference in only one of them, a game where the Bill's high scoring offense was shut down and limited to less than 20 minutes of time on the field by a clock killing Giants rushing attack.

fansince'76
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
If they spent big money on a kicker, they might not have had the money for the other players required to even make it to the Superbowl.

Besides, the Bills made it to 4 Superbowls in a row, and a kicker would have made a difference in only one of them, a game where the Bill's high scoring offense was shut down and limited to less than 20 minutes of time on the field by a clock killing Giants rushing attack.

Doubtful, seeing as there was no salary cap at the time. Like I said, a lot of folks discount the kicking game and its importance, until that's the reason they lose. I can see your point about getting another kicker to learn the ins and outs of Heinz, but how many close losses do we endure in the meantime? I personally hope they wrap Reed up for at least the rest of Ben's career, because IMO, our window of opportunity to win Super Bowls may slam shut for a while after Ben's gone.

Steelboy84
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
This dude is automatic. Sign him!

BlastFurnace
09-08-2009, 07:43 PM

$3 Million a year is not a big salary in the NFL....especially for someone who is as good as Reed.

Bottom line, he will be a Steeler. No way will we let him leave.

Give It To Abercrombie
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
My initial thought was "see ya, douche." That has always been my knee-jerk reaction when someone wants a ton of money "or I'm outta here." Hate that crap. I as much as anyone love having him because every time he lines up to kick I say "he's money, this is a gimme" and turn away from the tv as my friends keep sweating. That is damn near priceless. But then I looked at this:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=141

...and it didn't seem that outlandish. Giving him $2.5/year (cap value, not base), would put him in the top 5 kickers and would only be about a $600k raise. His cap hit this year already puts him at #9 on this list.

So screw it, sign him, even if it is at $3 million per.

T Bradshaw
09-09-2009, 12:03 AM

Jeff is not as good as Gould, he oes not have the range
I do not trust the sucker kicking FG over 45 yards at all
he is not worth $3 mil a year, no team will give him that

jjpro11
09-09-2009, 12:47 AM

you couldn't be more wrong with that statement.

steelergirl07
09-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I say give him what he wants. Not only is he a great kicker, but he's a big part of the team. I wouldn't want anyone else walking on the field to kick a game winner. He's a captain for crying out loud, give him the 3 mil.

T Bradshaw
09-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Clark should be the #1 priority

sharkweek
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM
I started hotly replying to a bunch of posts here when I realized there isn't much substantial evidence provided here on the terms.

The OP states Reed turned down an offer by the Steelers that was considered to be too low - we don't know what that offer was.

Then someone posts that they "know" he wants to be paid $3 mil.

The common factor is that most people are responding to these two posts. Now unless I've missed something somewhere (someone please posts links if I have), this is a lot of speculation and hearsay to get this excited over...

What it boils down to for me is this - its possible they only offered Reed a meager raise (or I guess possibly none at all or even a decrease, although that seems very unlikely) and perhaps he would be happy with a far more reasonable $2.5 mil vs. tip top $3+

However, I still wouldn't go higher than $2.5 - the Pats recently replaced Vinatieri with the now All-Pro Gostkowski and saw zero drop off. If anything the injection of youth might even be an improvement for them, and they've been getting him for a bargain bacement price. Now tell me that the Steelers can't scout replacement talent on par with the Pats and maybe I'll agree with the idea of an exorbitant deal for Reed.

fansince'76
09-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Jeff is not as good as Gould, he does not have the range

Disagree. Gould to this point in his career is 0-for-2 from 50+, whereas Reed is 6-for-11 from that distance (and as of now, is still the only guy to ever boot a 50-yarder in Heinz). As another basis of comparison, Vinatieri is 10-for-21 from that distance in his career. IMO, Reed most certainly does have the range.

HometownGal
09-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Are you serious? :jawdrop: The guy is money in the bank at Heinz Field, which is a quagmire for NFL kickers. He is also one of the best clutch kickers in the NFL. I'd rather have Skippy as our PK than any other kicker in the league, including Gould.

Pay the man what he wants - he's too valuable to lose. :hope:

sherlock
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Are you serious? :jawdrop: The guy is money in the bank at Heinz Field, which is a quagmire for NFL kickers. He is also one of the best clutch kickers in the NFL. I'd rather have Skippy as our PK than any other kicker in the league, including Gould.

Pay the man what he wants - he's too valuable to lose. :hope:

Why is Heinz Field regarded as such a difficult place for kickers...is it because one of the ends is more or less open?
Also, why is Reed called skippy?:noidea:

Galax Steeler
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Why is Heinz Field regarded as such a difficult place for kickers...is it because one of the ends is more or less open?
Also, why is Reed called skippy?:noidea:

One end of the endzone is closed in and the other end is open It has three rivers running by it to make the Ohio. There is alot of wind that comes off of the river and blows right through the stadium.

sherlock
09-09-2009, 03:24 PM
One end of the endzone is closed in and the other end is open It has three rivers running by it to make the Ohio. There is alot of wind that comes off of the river and blows right through the stadium.

Thanks Galax Steeler,I thought that was probably the reason.
I guess Reed can practice at Heinz more or less when he likes?

sharkweek
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks Galax Steeler,I thought that was probably the reason.
I guess Reed can practice at Heinz more or less when he likes?

he also plays at least 8 games a season there

devilsdancefloor
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM

WOW! have you been watching the same games i have?? i sadly get to see either the colts or bears games and gould and vinitari are good , but reed is better IMO. i relaly like clark i do and i think he is a priority but so are reed and big snack IMHO. We cant keep them all. I was kinda hoping we would have signed clark or reed by now still have tomorrow before the game.

SteelMember
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Alright Jeff, grab a few rolls, but don't get too greedy.

http://ava7.com/images/funny-toilet-pictures/dollar-toliet-paper.jpg

and I expect the restroom to be in the same condition you found it.

:laughing:

LVSteelersfan
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry Jeff, but if you can't hit the end zone or at least inside the 5 yard line on every single kickoff, you are NOT worth 3 million. You give the other team good field position time after time after time with those lousy kickoffs. Until you fix that part of your game, take a hike.

Besides we do not have the cap room to give a kicker (not a real football player) a huge contract.

steelreserve
09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I was kinda hoping we would have signed clark or reed by now still have tomorrow before the game.

We still have all season, unless we have shit for brains. Practicality ought to trump tradition in this case.

revefsreleets
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
If he wants 3 mil, he won't be a Steeler next year...they won't pay that and it;'s NOT because they are cheap, it's because that's not in the realistic range of what a kicker should make. IF the Rams kicker is making 5 million, that ruins it for other teams by raising the bar too high and also means they are probably hurting in some other area because they have too many resources tied up in their kicker...

Whatever their offer was, it was fair...and I don't think they'll counter with anything much higher...when I hear the agent say "WAY too low", I know he's a goner...and that's sad because wherever he goes, it's MOST likely that he'll make his 3 million a year and average about 8 wins a season for the rest of his career...