PDA

View Full Version : Imagine this.....

Preacher
09-09-2009, 06:57 AM
So I am 14 years old, and headed to my first concert ever (yeah, stryper... what's your point?! :chuckle:)

The opening band comes on stage. Back then, I didn't have a lot of exposure to music. I watched the heavy metal half hour on MTV... but just a few things. So imagine the look on my face when this band came out to open.

I ran right out and bought their album during the break. Fastest stuff I ever heard at the time... I thought the scream towards the end was SOOOOOO cool!
KQf4MMU6rSI

Can't beleive I found it on You Tube. :rofl: Dang I am old.

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:09 AM
:rofl:

and then a few years later I found this

O5-14J5LHuU

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Tourniquet could really do with a few umlauts in their name...at least two...

Preacher
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Tourniquet could really do with a few umlauts in their name...at least two...
:chuckle:

Did you listen to it? they are pretty dang fast.

Preacher
09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Here they are in their "King Diamond" singing days.... :rofl:

x-oeC3RJ3tw

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
:chuckle:

Did you listen to it? they are pretty dang fast.good stuff preacher. you want fast? when i was heaviest into the genre, this was about the fastest stuff out there. this instrumental still may be my most favorite song of all time. the intro is a classical unplugged guitar melody juxtaposed over the sounds of a battlefield (bombs and bullet fire). dont let the slowness and calm sounds fool ya. wait a minute in. (the classical influence is heavy, kinda like satriani or kirk hammett on speed). coroners lead guitarist is definitely in their league-

JQ0AH7G2x7k

they use guitar leads almost like verses to the song. this one has about 4. and a super tight super fast bass riff-

jJm8Op6YLwE&feature=related

and check out this intro (to my favorite song w/vocals on the album. What? piano and flute(?) on a thrash album??? (just the calm before the storm)-

DjoNOFxvknU&feature=related

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
That's exactly why I said they've earned their umlauts...

I also thought it was extremely ironic that when I pulled up the song on You Tube proper, I was greeted with a "24" Jeff Gordon banner right under the song...

Strange times we live in...or maybe it's just...no, nevermind...we live in strange times...

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
The main problem why NONE of these bands got anywhere (even Yngwie, who sold more albums than any of them, but probably less over 20 years than Kip Winger sold in 5) is that fast doesn't necessarily equal good.

You gotta have a hook...some really solid songwriting...all these songs sound like K-mart knock-offs of much better bands who didn't sell many albums themselves...

devilsdancefloor
09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
537hCRIhQKw

here ya go :)

Preacher
09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
That's exactly why I said they've earned their umlauts...

I also thought it was extremely ironic that when I pulled up the song on You Tube proper, I was greeted with a "24" Jeff Gordon banner right under the song...

Strange times we live in...or maybe it's just...no, nevermind...we live in strange times...

LOL.

Check these two out.... You hard core Death metal fans will like these two.... I completly forgot about them.

WW92LzNueAo

k5gA2jMydZQ

Yep, that is good ole 80's christian thrash.....

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
damn. now i gotta go look up king diamond's "them" on youtube. great concept album.

i think coroner was celtic frost's roadies right before the release of this album. much better than frost.

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
That scream...Ieeeshka! Another example of just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...

Fast and....bad....

(Edit) Directed at Nitro...

Preach...that's just a Slayer rip off...and a bad one at that...originality is hard to achieve, I guess...

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
The main problem why NONE of these bands got anywhere (even Yngwie, who sold more albums than any of them, but probably less over 20 years than Kip Winger sold in 5) is that fast doesn't necessarily equal good.

You gotta have a hook...some really solid songwriting...all these songs sound like K-mart knock-offs of much better bands who didn't sell many albums themselves...

Actually, I have to disagree. The main problem why they didn't make it is because they all used Christian marketing firms and Christian recording companies because they didn't want to "go secular' The problem with that is that their music hardly ever got into the mainstream record stores,

The only band that did do it is Believer. They are known pretty well amongst the real death metal scene, and well respected.

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
That scream...Ieeeshka! Another example of just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...

Fast and....bad....

(Edit) Directed at Nitro...

Preach...that's just a Slayer rip off...and a bad one at that...originality is hard to achieve, I guess...

Nitro wasn't mine. I haven't heard it yet.

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Actually, I have to disagree. The main problem why they didn't make it is because they all used Christian marketing firms and Christian recording companies because they didn't want to "go secular' The problem with that is that their music hardly ever got into the mainstream record stores,

The only band that did do it is Believer. They are known pretty well amongst the real death metal scene, and well respected.

I had no idea they were a "Christian" metal band...bad is bad to my ears...

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
damn. now i gotta go look up king diamond's "them" on youtube. great concept album.

i think coroner was celtic frost's roadies right before the release of this album. much better than frost.

The Kind Diamond I remember best was Merciful Fate-Melissa.

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I had no idea they were a "Christian" metal band...bad is bad to my ears...

Which ones? The original bands were a bit campy... They just started hitting their stride when John and Dino Elefante became the kings of Christian metal recording... and basically made every Christian band sound the same...and it sucked. That is when I left the Christian music scene for years.

However, the musician ship on some of them is outstanding. Believer and tourniquet are raved about even today in the secular music realms... in their genre.

What I posted here of Tourniquet was their first album. Again, a bit campy.

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
King Diamond/Merciful Fate had some REALLY catchy riffs...there was some solid songwriting behind that stuff...

The Satanic garbage was just playing up the "Schoolboy angst" angle, but the lyrics were heady despite the subject matter, and the songs were melodic as Hell...

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh geez...now they are coming likes waves... I remember all these bands now.

Seventh Angel... more thrash.

i5OcGspVFfQ

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 07:26 PM
How bout Exodus?

revefsreleets
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hmXILTFuIwU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hmXILTFuIwU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:28 PM
One more that i remember...

VDhQE7Mgbx0

Preacher
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
How bout Exodus?

Their best was Toxic Waltz.

DO... THE..... TOXIC WALTZ...... WITH .....US.... EX-O-DUS!

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
You gotta have a hook...some really solid songwriting....

you mean like this?-

KvoeLhv5tF8&feature=related

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

coven definitely has some hooks and catchy riffs. 6669, iron dick, and blessed is the black are catchy as hell. unfortunately (as their 1st album cover would suggest) they had some heavy anti-Christian tones that apre pretty much appalling to the majority and a reason i never followed them or purchased any of their albums.

the "problem" is most of these bands are catering to a small niche on the fringe of society. they know they wont get massive radio play or have their records sold at target. and thats not what they want. if album sales and earning a ton of money were a priorty, they would do country music and easilly display 10X as much musical "talent".

most of these musicians could probably play, and perfect, any song they hear on the top 40 charts by ear within 5 minutes (and noone would know the difference if they had to substitute in a concert). most of them have probably been jamming sabbath and maiden since they were 13 years old.

a band like coroner can actually read a music sheet, and write and compose their own songs while sitting on a plane as opposed to just jamming in a garage.
bands like coroner, sodom, or kreator could easilly hang with slayer, metallica, or megadeath. of course they were in germany, holding down day jobs. having american marketing behind you helps.

i bet these guys were probably just happy being a garage band and expanding on their hobby. personally, i like an artist who isnt afraid to buck the trend, just do what they love, and not try to appeal to the masses.

going global like metallica is pretty much the exception to the rule. selling as many albums isnt the mark of "good" either, especially considering kip and the likes were a flaming bag of suck MTV left on americas doorstep.

oh, and deliver us to evil was my shit. that and metallica marked my ensuing "exodus" from punk rock to thrash.

revefsreleets
09-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry, not feeling it at all...that sounds like a B-side of an Anthrax single...something they'd probably never write in the first place, and if they did, never let see the light of day...

Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, and to a lessor extent bands like Merciful Fate and Exodus had more of a following amongst the metal heads because they were simply better at what they did than a bunch of these B bands...

Not saying they can't play...there's a zillion super talented bands out there of all genre's, but the thing that separates the have's from the have not's is songwriting...

Speaking of, Preach, I had a moment like that too...I was 14 maybe 15 ('83 or '84) and went to see Quiet Riot, Whitesnake and Armored Saint. While I enjoyed the 2 headliners, I was literally blown away by Saint and thought they were the best act of the night...I still think they are one of the greatest and most unheralded metal bands of all time, and they could and did write great songs...I still scratch my head after all these years as to why they never caught on...

Preacher
09-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Sorry, not feeling it at all...that sounds like a B-side of an Anthrax single...something they'd probably never write in the first place, and if they did, never let see the light of day...

Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, and to a lessor extent bands like Merciful Fate and Exodus had more of a following amongst the metal heads because they were simply better at what they did than a bunch of these B bands...

Not saying they can't play...there's a zillion super talented bands out there of all genre's, but the thing that separates the have's from the have not's is songwriting...

Speaking of, Preach, I had a moment like that too...I was 14 maybe 15 ('83 or '84) and went to see Quiet Riot, Whitesnake and Armored Saint. While I enjoyed the 2 headliners, I was literally blown away by Saint and thought they were the best act of the night...I still think they are one of the greatest and most unheralded metal bands of all time, and they could and did write great songs...I still scratch my head after all these years as to why they never caught on...

Funny, I always felt about armored saint the way you are feeling about these bands. The drummer was ok. But I could leave it as well as take it.

Here is a band I now am shamed to admit I liked.... Beavis and Butthead even ripped on them!

DCRrP36KTGw

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Weird...Saint has riff after riff after riff after riff on every album...instantly accessible, and they hold up long-term as well...False Alarm, Stricken By Fate, Nervous Man, For the Sake, Aftermath (Those are just from the first two albums and just off the top of my head)...all classic well written metal anthems with solid production value, catchy riffs, etc, etc...

True, they aren't speed metal...more of a Black Sabbath type of slow, super heavy churning metal, and John Bush is a tremendously talented metal singer...good enough to front Anthrax when Joey Belladonna, for whatever reason, does not...