PDA

View Full Version : Cowher vs Tomlin

SteelRNation
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Who do you got as the better coach? I'll still take Cowher.

mesaSteeler
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
At this late date who cares?

SteelRNation
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
At this late date who cares?

Why stay on a forum if you dont want to discuss things. How about you start a thread. I'll bet I say "who cares" to that.

mesaSteeler
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
It is a boring, stupid, stale, utterly uninteresting subject.
It's 2009! Wake up and smell the coffee.

SteelRNation
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
It is a boring, stupid, stale, utterly uninteresting subject.
It's 2009! Wake up and smell the coffee.

I'll bet under under the age of 30. Am I right?

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
cowher micronamaged too much and it bit him in the ass for years.

tomlin kept and unleashed dick lebeau and he had 2 of his finest seasons as an assistant coach and the steelers defense has been on top of the league.

best overall defense in 10 years easilly. going back to the 80's only the 91eagles, 85 bears, 86giants, 00 ravens are in their league.

NEPAsteeler
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
While I'll always be grateful for what Cowher did for the Steelers, I'll take Mike Tomlin anyday. I just love his whole philosophy on the game.

NJarhead
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Ask me in 11 years. Cowher still built this team. I love Tomlin to death, but let's see what the team he forms over the years looks like. :drink:

NEPAsteeler
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Ask me in 11 years. Cowher still built this team. I love Tomlin to death, but let's see what the team he forms over the years looks like. :drink:

Very true... Tomlin could have very easily come in and changed everything to his liking.

HometownGal
09-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Though I was a "Cowher kind of gal", I absolutely adore Mike Tomlin and the philosophies and discipline he's brought to this team. In fairness, however, I can't honestly answer that question at this point in the Tomlinator's young career as a HC. I'll get back to ya in a couple more years down the road.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Right now you can't make a fair comparison.

Most of the contributors on this team were draft picks and free agent pickups from the Cowher years.

Right now, both have only one Super Bowl. We don't know what the future holds for this team. We all thought we'd win multiple Super Bowls under Cowher, but the team won just a single one.

Tomlin stepped into a great situation here in Pittsburgh. He wasn't stepping in for a coach who didn't bring success to a team and got fired for it. He stepped in after a coach resigned because he felt he just didn't have the fire anymore.

I was a HUGE Cowher fan. I will always appreciate what he brought to the team, to the game. He was a great coach.

However, I am now a HUGE Tomlin fan. Mike Tomlin has taken this team and made it his own. He could have come in and changed the defense, but he wasn't going to be stupid.

steelpride12
09-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Always loved Cowher for his attitude toward the game and the way he instructed his team. I just gotta go with Tomlin not just because he has a ring in his second season, but his philosophy and coaching styles are amazing! He truly has the mindset and makes sure the team does too that nothing is good enough, never to get big headed, and just play Steeler football game in and game out no exceptions. Im sure this love for him will only grow i mean come on it's his third season!

Gnutella
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
While I'll always respect and admire Bill Cowher, it seems that Mike Tomlin runs a tighter ship, so I'll take him.

The Lakelander
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Cowher hired Arians. :applaudit:

Tomlin promoted Arians! :toofunny:

T Bradshaw
09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Its SIMPLE, Cowher was just a cheerleader, all he did was huf and puf, and yell and spit his crap, thats all, thats only half of it, Tomlin knows how to play mind games, not just with his own players but with the opponents.

I take Tomlin any day over Cowher and his butt buddy Duce Staley!

SteelTalons
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
While I'll always respect and admire Bill Cowher, it seems that Mike Tomlin runs a tighter ship, so I'll take him.

Same way I feel about it. Tomlin isn't so much about passion as he is perfection.

T Bradshaw
09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
We all saw how Coach Coward handled his team after winning the super bowl, lets see how Tomlin does.

I have no doubt Tomlin is a better and smarter HC

Blitzburgh 34
09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Tomlin hasn't really proven anything yet. All he's done is win with Cowher's team which was winning big time under Cowher. 3/4 of coaching is putting the talent on the field and letting them do their thing, and Cowher definitely did that. He just never had a franchise QB. As soon as he got that, we go 15-1 with a conference championship game (we win the SB if not for the Cheatriots' cheating IMO), a SB win the next year, and then the implosion which was initiated by Ben's accident and appendectomy). Not bad at all. I'll take Cowher anytime anywhere as my coach, as long as he still has the fire that he didn't have his last year following the SB.

Tomlin's drafts so far haven't produced for crap other than Woodley. So it'll be a good 5 years before you can even think of comparing the 2 coaches....in other words, after these first 3 drafts can show whether they're going to be good and get a few more drafts in there. Gotta fix that OL and put together a quality DL. So far, Tomlin just gets credit for not screwing up a good thing (not thinking he had to install an inferior D scheme, interfering with the great Dick LeBeau, etc), although with the status of the OL it looks like he's trying to (getting Ben killed....he IS the franchise now).

(BTW, Tomlin does get big marks from me for not screwing it up last year. I felt he was horrible in year 1 though. Jury is still out on him overall in my book.)

sharkweek
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
About now the only thing I miss from Cowher is his imposing jaw and spittle.

Tomlin has exceeded my expectations through and through. I give him and outstanding :wink02:

tony hipchest
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Tomlin hasn't really proven anything yet. All he's done is win with Cowher's team which was winning big time under Cowher. 3/4 of coaching is putting the talent on the field and letting them do their thing, and Cowher definitely did that. He just never had a franchise QB. As soon as he got that, we go 15-1 with a conference championship game (we win the SB if not for the Cheatriots' cheating IMO), a SB win the next year, and then the implosion which was initiated by Ben's accident and appendectomy). Not bad at all. I'll take Cowher anytime anywhere as my coach, as long as he still has the fire that he didn't have his last year following the SB.

Tomlin's drafts so far haven't produced for crap other than Woodley. So it'll be a good 5 years before you can even think of comparing the 2 coaches....in other words, after these first 3 drafts can show whether they're going to be good and get a few more drafts in there. Gotta fix that OL and put together a quality DL. So far, Tomlin just gets credit for not screwing up a good thing (not thinking he had to install an inferior D scheme, interfering with the great Dick LeBeau, etc), although with the status of the OL it looks like he's trying to (getting Ben killed....he IS the franchise now).

(BTW, Tomlin does get big marks from me for not screwing it up last year. I felt he was horrible in year 1 though. Jury is still out on him overall in my book.)

CAUR PAUR! :tt:

while i appreciate your cowher enthusiasm, (he is 1 of my top 3 favorite coaches) i cant agree w/ your assessment.

cowhers team was porter and faneca. tomlins team wasnt. does anyone really think tomlin was gonna goe "josh mcdaniels" and shitcan the likes of big ben, troy, and lebeau, just to have "his guys"? lol.

cowher retired. tomlin was hired. there was no reason for tomlin to dismantle the rooneys team, just to say he didnt win with "cowhers team".

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I think they are both great.

The one common denominator is Ben Roethlisberger and Super Bowl wins. I dont know if Tomlin could have won a Lombardi with Stewart, Maddox, Tomczak, etc. :noidea:

fansince'76
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I dont know if Tomlin could have won a Lombardi with Stewart, Maddox, Tomczak, etc. :noidea:

I don't think the likes of Noll, Walsh, Landry or Lombardi could have won SBs with them behind center.

Blitzburgh 34
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
CAUR PAUR! :tt:

while i appreciate your cowher enthusiasm, (he is 1 of my top 3 favorite coaches) i cant agree w/ your assessment.

cowhers team was porter and faneca. tomlins team wasnt. does anyone really think tomlin was gonna goe "josh mcdaniels" and shitcan the likes of big ben, troy, and lebeau, just to have "his guys"? lol.

cowher retired. tomlin was hired. there was no reason for tomlin to dismantle the rooneys team, just to say he didnt win with "cowhers team".

I like that, go "josh mcdaniels" lol. I can't stand that POS. I would hate Tomlin's guts if he'd changed the team a lot, and if he ever does convert to a 43, I will indeed hate his guts and wish very very bad things upon him. Hard to believe McDaniels could be that stupid, although the lack of class was expected given where he originated from and who his "teacher" was.

I didn't mind seeing Porter go, as he was old and probably gonna be overpriced. Faneca, on the other hand, was our only good returning HEALTHY OL. Not a chance I'd have let him go, if we could've afforded to kept him. All it did was take away our only bright spot from an otherwise dismal weak spot on the team. Sorry but that OL just bugs the hell out of me. I don't mind Starks and Hartwig, but man do I ever hate the rest. Not even NFL caliber.

But, as I've said before, Tomlin's the coach now so gotta hope he starts drafting better (aka OFFENSIVE LINE) and that when Cowher's team is gone he'll still be able to win instead of pulling a John Gruden. I've heard coaches say many times that the players made his career. It's easy to look like a good coach when you have great players playing for you (Paraphrased). I've NEVER seen Tomlin coach a team lacking for talent, so I have no idea what he'd be like if he didn't have a star-studded team. I just hope I never have to find out.

Blitzburgh 34
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I think they are both great.

The one common denominator is Ben Roethlisberger and Super Bowl wins. I dont know if Tomlin could have won a Lombardi with Stewart, Maddox, Tomczak, etc. :noidea:

Cowher came pretty damn close with O'Suckell. If not for those 2 Larry Brown INTs, we would've. 6 or 7 AFCC, all but 2 without Ben......we had some elite teams there.....if only we'd had a QB.

fansince'76
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
It's easy to look like a good coach when you have great players playing for you (Paraphrased).

Is that why the Chargers, who have one of the most talented (if not THE most talented) rosters in the league have continually regressed each year Turner's been there? And is it also why the Cowboys have regularly underachieved of late with a talent-laden roster as well? If any schmuck could coach in the NFL and have success solely due to having a ton of talent on their team, they would, and they wouldn't be paid seven-figure salaries.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Cowher came pretty damn close with O'Suckell. If not for those 2 Larry Brown INTs, we would've. 6 or 7 AFCC, all but 2 without Ben......we had some elite teams there.....if only we'd had a QB.

Yeah, its why I never buy the arguement that Cowher wasnt that good because he "could only get teams to the AFC Championship game".

Dozens of coaches wish they could get their teams to as many championship games as Cowher did. At some point the players have to make plays that win the game.

There is an old addage that says "if the game is won by 3 or less...its coaching. If its decided by 4 or more, its personell". Cant be that black and white, but close.

Fire Haley
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Old and busted

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2009-05-26/0527cowherside-a.jpg

New hotness

http://www3.telus.net/KentTickets/images/pittsburghsteelers.jpg

steelreserve
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll take Tomlin, because there's no point in wishing we had Cowher back. He's gone, man. Tomlin's the present and the future, so let's hope he continues to kick ass.

pancake
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Love them both!!!! :tt03:

58LBattack
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
In honesty, Mr. Rooney hires and fires, and that goes to all levels of the organization... including the scouting corp... in this regard, plug HC Tomlin in at Cowhers 1st season, and vice versa..... Its a dead heat.... except, I give the nod to Tomlin, more of a creative thinker....

T Bradshaw
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Tomlin's drafts so far haven't produced for crap other than Woodley. So it'll be a good 5 years before you can even think of comparing the 2 coaches....in other words, after these first 3 drafts can show whether they're going to be good and get a few more drafts in there. Gotta fix that OL and put together a quality DL.
If you are really that SIMPLE to think the HC makes all the decisions on draft day then why was Big Ben drafted since Bill Cowher did not want Ben here?