PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who thinks Reed is not worth $3 Million a year is Crazy!

BlastFurnace
09-10-2009, 11:50 PM
He's money.

How many games does he need to come in and do what he did tonight to prove it.

Bironas missed two tonight. Reed made two.

Give the man his money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-10-2009, 11:54 PM
He is Money!
But if he wants to stary a Steelers he needs to settle for more around 2 mil

LVSteelersfan
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry, no kicker is worth 3 million. It devalues the rest of the team because you can't pay the real football players. Reed is money. He is not 3 million dollars worth.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
So you guys will settle for someone who is Hit or Miss.

Jeff wins games for us. He's done if for years now.

You think the complaining of losing REL's punt returning ability was bad 3 years ago...it would be 100x worse if we brought in an unreliable kicker who blew a game for us.

Give the man his money!

stillers4me
09-11-2009, 12:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/jeffreedmoney.jpg

CargoJon
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM
The New Orleans Saints would have been 10-6 last year with a decent kicker. Believe me, Reed is worth whatever we need to pay him.

When is this dude gonna get into a pro bowl for godsake?

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 12:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/jeffreedmoney.jpg

:rofl::toofunny::laughing::thumbsup:

GIVE THE MAN HIS BIG PAYDAY - he's more than earned it!

devilsdancefloor
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
he is worth the his weight in gold! he should get his payday.

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Who was Reed before the Steelers found him and put him on this team?

Sorry guys, I just can't agree with it. Team come first, he shouldn't make any more money than any other kicker. Who do you guys think we are, the Raiders?

Besides, tonight was a fluke. Bironas did miss two FGs, but one was blocked, its not like he flat out missed two on his own. Reed also had a very scary looking FG from chipshot range, so it wasn't like he was perfect tonight either.

Seriously, quality kicking talent is all over the league. One game won't make or break Bironas' reputation for being yet another dime a dozen "money" kicker unless he repeats the blunder.

X-Terminator
09-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure what to think of this. On one hand, you know you'd have a reliable kicker for that $3 million. On the other hand, I'm one of those who doesn't think kickers should be earning that kind of money. Reed's GW FG last night was from 32 yards out. Every kicker in the league should make that kick no matter how much they're being paid.

I just don't know. I don't want to see Reed kicking for another team, I DO know that.

Venom
09-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Steelers better sign him. Hes a money player. Do you want him to go to a contender if he doesnt get his money ?

stlrtruck
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
There's got to be a compromise with these players, especially if their motivation is to win more Super Bowls. One player, in any position, can't hog all the money, and eventually they'll need to restructure their contracts to keep their nucleus of players in tact.

Jeff Reed, as money as he is, would hopefully recognize the consequences of trying to break the bank but instead desire to keep things in tact and take a lower amount for the good of the team. If anything, maybe they could give him the $2 mil a year then incentive laden his contract to get it up over 3.

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure what to think of this. On one hand, you know you'd have a reliable kicker for that $3 million. On the other hand, I'm one of those who doesn't think kickers should be earning that kind of money. Reed's GW FG last night was from 32 yards out. Every kicker in the league should make that kick no matter how much they're being paid.

I just don't know. I don't want to see Reed kicking for another team, I DO know that.

So many people discount the importance of their team's K and I for one, believe the K is just as important as any other key position on the team. Skippy has been solid for us and his clutch kicks have to rank right up there in the top 3 K's currently playing in the NFL. On top of that, he is one of the team leaders in that locker room and you can't really put a pricetag on that.

If they can't come to an agreement, slap the franchise tag on him. We can't afford to lose him.

KeiselPower99
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
He is arguably the best kicker in the NFL. He deserves to be paid but not at 3 million.

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry, my ceiling is 2 million on kickers...UNLESS we load his contracts with incentives...a certain percentage of kick-offs inside the 5, a certain percentage of FG's hit, a certain percentage of game winning/tieing FG's hit, a certain percentage of long range FG's hit...stuff like that...he could EARN 3 million by producing...

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Franchising him would cost us what, about $2.5mil? Far more reasonable than $3.

Either way I'm not worried. We easily have one of the best track records when it comes to finding replacement talent. Reed really isn't that rare. Any replacement kicker would be able to practice frequently at Heinz and learn the ins and outs of it just as Reed has.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Franchising him would cost us what, about $2.5mil? Far more reasonable than $3.

Either way I'm not worried. We easily have one of the best track records when it comes to finding replacement talent. Reed really isn't that rare. Any replacement kicker would be able to practice frequently at Heinz and learn the ins and outs of it just as Reed has.

Do you remember Kris Brown or Peterson? Not every kicker can figure out Heinz field. After we released Gary Anderson, it took us nearly a decade to find another great kicker. The only decent one we fielded between that time was Norm Johnson.

Do you realize that some inconsistent kicking last year would have resulted in us not even making the playoffs.

It's not as easy as it appears. We have the best kicker in the league. We need to keep him.

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
you're just a worry wart

kicking talent has truly exploded in the past ten years

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 04:23 PM
you're just a worry wart

kicking talent has truly exploded in the past ten years

So that's your best rebuttle....

There are plenty of teams still looking for a good kicker....especially in a place like Heinz field.

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Do you realize that some inconsistent kicking last year would have resulted in us not even making the playoffs.

It's not as easy as it appears. We have the best kicker in the league. We need to keep him.

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

Couldn't have said it better, BF. I think there are a few people around these parts who are in desperate need of a seeing eye dog.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Just give him enough money so we dont have to put up with another Krissy Brown debacle. :coffee:

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Couldn't have said it better, BF. I think there are a few people around these parts who are in desperate need of a seeing eye dog.

When Reed came onto the field last night, I knew we won...even before he kicked it.

As a fan, I like that feeling.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
When Reed came onto the field last night, I knew he won...even before he kicked it.

As a fan, I like that feeling.

Even Tomlin knew. :drink:

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
So that's your best rebuttle....

There are plenty of teams still looking for a good kicker....especially in a place like Heinz field.

Its not be best rebuttal I can come up with, but its the only one I need for someone like you.

Again, the primary reason Heinz is tough on other kickers is because they rarely, if ever, kick there.

I love the guy, but if I take off the homer glasses, I can see he's just not worth it. He doesn't even register top 10 on most lists let alone top 5. And you all want to give him #1 type money. No way. Sorry. This is a business. We can't keep everyone we like if they don't share our values.

It's like some of you guys think we're the Raiders...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd offer him $2mil so that he is in line with Vinatiari. So I guess I am crazy.

The team saved another $255,000 against the cap by converting a portion of kicker Adam Vinatieri's $2 million base salary into a $510,000 signing bonus and spreading it over the next two seasons.
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/6/783391/ryan-lilja-and-adam-vinati

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Its not be best rebuttal I can come up with, but its the only one I need for someone like you.

Again, the primary reason Heinz is tough on other kickers is because they rarely, if ever, kick there.

I love the guy, but if I take off the homer glasses, I can see he's just not worth it. He doesn't even register top 10 on most lists let alone top 5. And you all want to give him #1 type money. No way. Sorry. This is a business. We can't keep everyone we like if they don't share our values.

Ok. I'll remember your name if we ever bring in a kicker that doesn't cut it. I don't expect to hear you complain at all because in your eyes...."kicking talent has truly exploded in the past ten years".

I'll keep my homer glasses on for Reed. He's earned them over the years.

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Please knock it off with the insults. Not necessary here.

He doesn't even register top 10 on most lists let alone top 5.

What - on Fantasy Football lists? Who freakin' cares WHERE he (or anyone else) is on a "list"? :banging: If you're looking at stats, here's a stat for you. Skippy has a higher overall percentage than some of those considered "top kickers" in the NFL, including Jason Elam, Adam Vinatieri and - - a blast from the past - our own Gawwwwwwy Anderson AND is only a % point shy of those considered "elite" PK's, i.e. Matt Stover and Rob Bironas.

And you all want to give him #1 type money. No way. Sorry. This is a business. We can't keep everyone we like if they don't share our values.

Jeff Reed is a Pittsburgh Steeler through and through in every sense of the word. He's been with us for 8 seasons now and has become a vital part of our offense. Sure he misses one here and there, but who doesn't? BUT - when a clutch kick or a game-winner needs to be made - you can always count on #3 to get the job done. THAT is why the Steelers need to sign or franchise him next season. He's just as much a cog in the Pittsburgh Steelers wheel as their other key players.

steelreserve
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
OK, let's just hope they can work something out that's not $3 million, so the people who want him to stay can be happy and the people who don't want to overpay him can be happy too. That's still possible, depending on how much of a dickhead his agent really is.

Ravenssuck
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I love Jeff Reed as much as the next Steeler fan, but 3 mil per year???? NOT...

I'll take Piotr Czech for 800K and use the money saved elsewhere...

steel striker
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Reed is clutch and clutch is everything! Pay the man.

sherlock
09-12-2009, 05:02 AM

Ditto......but more importantly can someone PLEEAASE tell me why Reed is called Skippy?
Forget the o-line,running game and such trivialities but the origin of Reeds nickname is really bothering me!:chuckle:

Ravenssuck
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
They call him "skippy" because he dresses like a college nerd.

Argyle sweaters,collared shirts, you know... The College Prep Look.

It's meant to be funny...

HometownGal
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
They call him "skippy" because he dresses like a college nerd.

Argyle sweaters,collared shirts, you know... The College Prep Look.

It's meant to be funny...

I like his style and I especially like what he puts in that "style". :naughty:
http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/t1_reed.jpg

Kittyfish
09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
How many Super Bowls would the Patriots* have won without their kicker? Pay the man.

ReedsGirl3
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Just pay the man - no not the highest paid kicker in the leagues, but so he's in the top 5 of kickers.

He's always been Mr. Clutch for us and deserves to be paid.

I can't imagine watching Steelers football and not having #3 out there with them. He is a true team player and has been a team captain for the last 2 seasons.

We gotta keep Reed!!!

LVSteelersfan
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Do you honestly not see those lousy kickoffs he does over and over and over again? Putting the other team on the 35 yard line or better over and over and over. I love him as a field goal kicker but he absolutely STINKS at kickoffs. Why should we continually put our defense on the field at a disadvantage when there are kickers out there that boom the ball into the end zone on every kickoff? I agree we need to keep him because he is money on field goals in one of the toughest places in the league to kick. But he is overvaluing himself if he thinks he is worth more than $2 million because of his lack of leg in the other part of the game.

Ravenssuck
09-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Exactly.
Jeff Reed is a Steeler Icon/great field goal kicker/good locker room guy/ etc... etc...

but it is my humble opinion that there is no human alive that should be paid more than 1-2 million per year to kick a football...

If he won't take 2 million per year, I say "SAYONARA", go kick for the Browns or Texans.

Piotr Czech for 800k per year is a VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVE if our beloved SKIPPY won't sign for 2 million...

P.S. Piotr gets MUCH MORE distance on kick-offs btw...

steelpride12
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Exactly.
Jeff Reed is a Steeler Icon/great field goal kicker/good locker room guy/ etc... etc...

but it is my humble opinion that there is no human alive that should be paid more than 1-2 million per year to kick a football...

If he won't take 2 million per year, I say "SAYONARA", go kick for the Browns or Texans.

Piotr Czech for 800k per year is a VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVE if our beloved SKIPPY won't sign for 2 million...

P.S. Piotr gets MUCH MORE distance on kick-offs btw...

But is a below average field goal kicker where Jeff Reed is automatic in most situations and the ones that count the most he is clutch in the playoffs and Super Bowls you may not always notice. Believe me losing Reed will not go down well, but im sure he will be signed. :tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Just pay the man - no not the highest paid kicker in the leagues, but so he's in the top 5 of kickers.!!!

The value of the franchise tag for kickers in 2009 is a salary of $2.48 million.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ec4abf&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

So.........I guess this thread should be titled. "Anybody who wants to pay Reed $3million when the franchise tag is only $2.48 million IS CRAZY!!!"

BlastFurnace
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Jeff Reed will be a Steeler next season one way or another. It's just a matter of what we pay him. The Steelers won't allow him to leave.

HometownGal
09-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Jeff Reed will be a Steeler next season one way or another. It's just a matter of what we pay him. The Steelers won't allow him to leave.

I don't believe the Steelers want to lose him either and will more than likely tag him. :hope:

markymarc
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I would be very surprised if the Steelers don't use the franchise tag on Reed next year. Either way just pay the man because he is money for this team!

steelreserve
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I honestly wouldn't have said he's worth $3 million before the season started, but then I hadn't seen a real football game for half a year. Once I saw some real live FG situations in a game that counted, I changed my mind.

AllD
09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Reed is automatic. There were so many missed FGs on opening week and Mr. Clutch kicks the game winner. The contact will be done or he will be franchaised.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Reed is automatic. There were so many missed FGs on opening week and Mr. Clutch kicks the game winner. The contact will be done or he will be franchaised.
:chuckle:

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Since we have enough Reed bashing threads, I think I'm a gonna shut this one down.