PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs = Deers in Headlights

SteelerEmpire
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
The Running Game..... ???????????? ...... I don't even know what to say....:banging:

Preacher
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't you look like dear in headlights when you are always facing 2 and 3 guys every time?!

The Duke
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
oline can't make holes

willie was clearly frustrated by it all night

titans D is good though. next week against the bears should go better....

SteelerEmpire
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Wouldn't you look like dear in headlights when you are always facing 2 and 3 guys every time?!
Yea... VERY frustrating to watch the entire offense tonight.... I would have been laughing my head off at the O if I were not a Steeler fan.... The good news is that its just the first game and the cob-webs are still there.... Hopefully they move quick and solve this problem. Therefore, I expect to see "at minimum" gradual improvement... Maybe they should put Redman and Logan back there ?? But one things for sure... you can either shout down the run, or shut down the pass.... its VERY difficult to do both.... Ben tore their secondary apart.... wish there were not so many wasted downs attempting the run....

Steelboy84
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
We can't repeat without a running game.

steelpride12
09-10-2009, 11:41 PM
All I gotta say is that it was game one. We just out toughed a strong defense and we knew their defense would come out this strong. The OL was there on the pass plays and will work on the run plays during this long week of practice.

Preacher
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
We can't repeat without a running game.

Why not. We won without a run game last year.

fansince'76
09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
But one things for sure... you can either shout down the run, or shut down the pass.... its VERY difficult to do both.... Ben tore their secondary apart.... wish there were not so many wasted downs attempting the run....

Bingo. The Titans focused on taking away our running game first and foremost, daring Ben to try and beat a secondary with 2 Pro Bowlers in it. Ben wound up winning that battle.

Kvnfaber
09-11-2009, 12:24 AM

Exactly

Bingo. The Titans focused on taking away our running game first and foremost, daring Ben to try and beat a secondary with 2 Pro Bowlers in it. Ben wound up winning that battle.

And Exactly.

StainlessStill
09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
The Steelers were using the pass early to set up the run, making Tennessee think twice about being too aggresive but obviously it didn't work. Loved the quick outside pass's with Heath Miller leading the way as a lead block. Unfortunately, expecting the running game at that point failed miserably. It was like watching a bomb explode in an orphanage. This obviously needs to be fixed ASAP or we are in deep trouble.

Ben is a STUD.

BKAnthem
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I saw missed blocks on running plays and O Linemen just getting stood up or overpowered in 1 on 1 battles....yet the FO and Coaching staff thought this line was good enough to overlook in the draft.

Preacher
09-11-2009, 12:40 AM
I saw missed blocks on running plays and O Linemen just getting stood up or overpowered in 1 on 1 battles....yet the FO and Coaching staff thought this line was good enough to overlook in the draft.

No.

They didn't.

They saw both their centers get drafted out from under them. They weren't going to reach, so traded down into the third and then drafted Urbik. Last year, All those guys that we thought would be there were also gone by the time they came to us.

it is what happens when you are a team that keeps winning games.

X-Terminator
09-11-2009, 01:15 AM
No.

They didn't.

They saw both their centers get drafted out from under them. They weren't going to reach, so traded down into the third and then drafted Urbik. Last year, All those guys that we thought would be there were also gone by the time they came to us.

Exactly.

If they want great linemen, then they should root for the Steelers to have mediocre-to-bad seasons. And given how much of a cow the fans have if they have one bad MINUTE, that would go over about as well as toothache. Yeah, they could trade up, but they are not a team who will do that for anyone unless they are absolutely sure the picks they give up are worth it for the player.

FSJSteel
09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
No.

They didn't.

Bingo.

I wish my first post wasn't so lacking, but there really isn't anything else to say on the matter.

CaliStillersFan
09-11-2009, 03:39 AM
Can't we pull a D Synder move and buy one or two? LMAO

Galax Steeler
09-11-2009, 04:08 AM
What frustrates me is it seems like Parker is dancing around in the backfield trying to find a hole. White and Johnson would run full steam trying to find a crease when they wasn't one they would try and make one. Mendenhall hits the line harder then Parker but that still isn't saying much.

BKAnthem
09-11-2009, 04:35 AM
No.

They didn't.

Caldwell was available in the second round...the one they traded out of for Urbick....Lang was available...Robinson was available.....That's a center, tackle, and guard...at least 2 of them there to be had.....

stlrtruck
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
When teams are stuffing the box and there is no audible out of the running play, there isn't going to be a run game.

Watching Parker run last night took me back to his injury two years ago when he blew out his knee. I really don't know if he is mentally recovered from that. He occassionally shows a burst of speed but he's lacking that speed around the corner and he's definitely not reading some of his blocks well at all.

VinnySteel
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
What frustrates me is it seems like Parker is dancing around in the backfield trying to find a hole. White and Johnson would run full steam trying to find a crease when they wasn't one they would try and make one. Mendenhall hits the line harder then Parker but that still isn't saying much.

+1. It is not all O-lines fault, I think Parker had opportunities last night. Even when he got to the second level on that 8 yard run, he kinda stuttered around. Chris Johnson just goes, and FWP used to do that, but now I think he's thinking too much.

FacemeIke
09-11-2009, 08:14 AM
+1. It is not all O-lines fault, I think Parker had opportunities last night. Even when he got to the second level on that 8 yard run, he kinda stuttered around. Chris Johnson just goes, and FWP used to do that, but now I think he's thinking too much.

The Oline could have done better at opening holes and the Titans were putting a lot of defenders in the box, but there were a few openings here and there for Parker and he just missed them. For example, on the 8 yard run parker cut the wrong way and missed at least an extra 5-10 yards. I also think the knee injuries have really slowed him down.

KeiselPower99
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Titans D is amazing. We will be fine as the season goes along. Dont start pushing the panic button just yet.

mmalone
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Let Ben run the Offense, send Arians upstairs on the cameras. Let Tomlin call in the plays.

1st&Goal
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM

Yup. It looks like he's trying to "finesse" too much. Another thing I find frustrating is that it seems that if they just touch Parker he falls down. I keep waiting, waiting for him to bust one ala SBXL, but it seems almost any contact brings him down. :banging:

stb_steeler
09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I liked the way Moore at least tried to get the yards after. He shows toughness as Parker seems to have lost. Willy puts to much stutter into his moves now and it doesnt fool anyone.

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
The Titans played to stop the run, that's what their defense is set around. They blitzed and brought 5 to 6 guys almost every first and second down so thats extra guys to be picked up which isn't easy.
It was game one against a good run stopping team and our Steelers still pulled out the win. No one needs to start freaking out yet because all that matters is we are 1 and 0 going into next week, and we have an extra 3 days of practice.

Steelers Since '75
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I won't cry chicken little yet... but I did think the run offense looked awful... it hasn't looked that anemic since the Amos Zeroue (sp?) experiment :toofunny:

The o-line looked very undisciplined and confused after the snap... o-lineman were just standing around or getting pushed right over and our running backs would slam into a line of defenders and fall down. It was very ugly except for Mewelde and Ben in the final few drives.

Looks to me like the whole FO vs Coaches might carry over to RB's as well... looks like Tomlin has an eye for Mewelde instead of Parker or Mendenhall... maybe they were benched to prove a point in the 4th :coffee:

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Posted this in another thread, but I believe it's germane to this one as well...

I was lying in bed last night, thinking about some of the replays that i watched (and re-watched), and it was clear to me why our run game failed.

Teams still consider us a run first team, and they gameplan to stop the run first, and FORCE us to pass...that used to work, but I think we are now a passing team, and we will beat just about any defense passing now (and maybe any defense...the Titans are a GREAT defense, and Ben shredded them last night).

As teams have to shift away from 8 man fronts, that should create more opportunities for the running game to flourish...I watched running play after running play where the RB got the handoff and there was already a defender or two in the backfield. I'm sorry, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Jim Brown....none of those guys is going to do much when there are 6 guys trying to block 8 in front of them.

I'm not letting the RB's off the hook completely...they need to do more with what they are given, and Parker looked soft out there last night, getting tackled by a single hand, falling down, etc, etc...I'm also not giving the OL a pass either, as they need to improve their run blocking, BUT it's also fair to say that 6 guys will NEVER block 8 in any scenario...

We need to just commit to being a pass first team, and start running out of passing formations...it may not have BEEN Steelers football, but it is now...

By the way, for the most part, the pass blocking was exceptional last night...there were a couple individual break downs, but overall the pass blocking was a really pleasant surprise...

Jt20042
09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
What frustrates me the most about our running game is that our backs can't break a freaking tackle. I saw Redman break more tackles on one preseason touchdown than Mendenhall has since he's been a Steeler. Yeah our line isn't the best but still a defender puts a finger on Willie or Mendenhall and they go down. Davenport was the same way. I know that we're not gonna have another Bettis, but neither Parker or Mendenhall is a physical back and that's what we need alot of the time, especially on 3rd and 4th and short.

SmashmouthFootball
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM

I saw one of the guys they drafted instead of an offensive lineman, Mike Wallace, catch essentially the game-winning pass.

I'm okay with that.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Not even Jerome Bettis would have done anything last night. Without holes, without blocking up front, there can be no run game.

The Titans have one hell of a defense. They focused on stopping the run and making Ben beat a very good secondary. He did, only one of the interceptions was his fault.

Hopefully the line will get better at blocking for the run game. They did a good job when the Titans weren't blitzing (or Ben didn't hold on to the ball too long) at blocking for the passing attack.

But in the end, we need to upgrade the offensive line. That is the only way that the run game can thrive and Ben can not get sacked 40+ times a season.

SteelerEmpire
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM

AMEN to that ..... Parker came in just not prepaired.... he's been declining for the last 3 yrs....

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Jesus it was game one against a strong defense!

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with most that is being said about our Running Game.

Everyone on the Offense missed blocks in the running game, Ward missed a block that resulted in a tackle in the backfield, the Center wiffed a couple times, the Guards, Tackles, all had trouble with the Gap Penetration of the Titans.

Also, the backs look confused, from Parker stuttering in the backfield EVER TIME instead of just hitting the effing hole hard and gaining 3 or 4 yards, he's trying to get outside every time when, if he would just remember, he went Inside on the SB Run, not outside, he's got to get back to that. Mendy colliding with Ben in the backfield, total confusion, and Moore, pretty sure he got stuffed on a 3rd and short too. So its all of them not getting it done.

Blockers, Backs, QB not calling out with an audible when we have a Single Back formation and they have 7 men in the box with a safety cheating up.

It is what it is and Has to get better. Bottom line. I believe, for a first game, all starters, all going, against a good defense, it was what it was. A Mess that needs cleaned up.

rideerr1
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree that Parker is dancing way too much.
Plus last nite it did not look like he was picking a good hole. There was a play around the left end that Limas Sweed clearly shielded a Titan to the outside and the inside was clear, Parker ran to the outside and was tackled instantly.

Indo
09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
When teams are stuffing the box and there is no audible out of the running play, there isn't going to be a run game.

Watching Parker run last night took me back to his injury two years ago when he blew out his knee. I really don't know if he is mentally recovered from that. He occassionally shows a burst of speed but he's lacking that speed around the corner and he's definitely not reading some of his blocks well at all.

Yes.

He seemed a bit tentative when approaching the line---almost "undecided"----missing the cuts off of the blocks

I like Willie. But he definitely disappointed me a little last night

Over and done with. Who's Next?