PDA

View Full Version : We move the Ball with MeMo in the Lineup better than the other two backs

BlastFurnace
09-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I've seen it over and over again. MeMo brings something to this offense that Parker and Mendenhall do not. The guy does not go down on first contact. He blocks great. He always seems to get an extra yard or two...other than on 3rd and 1's :>).

He's not fast. He's not a Bruiser. He just gets it done.

I love MeMo!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
i think we would be fine with mendenhall as the starter and memo as the 2nd back..
Trade parker for a draft pick or a veteran olineman?

Dont get me wrong. I do like parker and he can be a great back... But damn... hes gotta do something

spyboots
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Part of it is the line, though, not just the backs

Preacher
09-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Actually, nobody did anything. Parker had one decent push where he moved the pile. MeMo had one decent run breaking a tackle. Mendy had one decent run spinning and turning.

MeMo helped because he can catch the ball.

StainlessStill
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I've seen it over and over again. MeMo brings something to this offense that Parker and Mendenhall do not. The guy does not go down on first contact. He blocks great. He always seems to get an extra yard or two...other than on 3rd and 1's :>).

I love MeMo!

Willie looked timid, and is missing major burst to his explosion. Mendenhall turns his back to the defense and needs more work and better wake up quick. Me and my brother were talking and as of Sept. 10th 2009, Moore is our best back.

BlastFurnace
09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Admittedly, I am a little jealous of what I see Tennessee has with Johnson as their RB. He's what I thought Mendenhall would be.

X-Terminator
09-10-2009, 11:55 PM
And of course, we can expect Mr. U.F. Nuckle to show up in this thread at some point...

Kvnfaber
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
MeMo looks better because he is always in for the 2 minute drill and the hurry up offense, which coincidently is when Ben is at his best, because he is improvising and calling alot of his own plays. Not to mention spreading things out.

Preacher
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Personally,

I say bring in Bettis as our RB!!

MasterOfPuppets
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Actually, nobody did anything. Parker had one decent push where he moved the pile. MeMo had one decent run breaking a tackle. Mendy had one decent run spinning and turning.

MeMo helped because he can catch the ball. well if tonight was any indication , which is basically a continuation of last year ,, the steelers are going to have to be a pass first team to win games ...but the good news is, everybody is locked up for a few years but colon, which i'm sure he'll get a 5 year deal , so Ben will get his chance to earn his money....:thumbsup:

Kvnfaber
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
If this years O-line is like last years, were just in for more of the same nail-biting games. I just hope that Ben stays healthy enough to pull out the win for us consistently. But either way, we won the Super Bowl with a crappy to mediocre O-line.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
The running game tonight made me sick.

Part of the problem is that this offensive line got no push whatsoever on the defensive line. They got pushed back all night long. I saw no holes for the backs to run to.

Maybe they can get better, but I don't think so. We need better offensive linemen. I still think Mendenhall can be a helluva back in this league...but when there are no holes and no push from the offensive line...hell not even Bettis would have done much tonight.

Kvnfaber
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
The running game tonight made me sick.

Part of the problem is that this offensive line got no push whatsoever on the defensive line. They got pushed back all night long. I saw no holes for the backs to run to.

Maybe they can get better, but I don't think so. We need better offensive linemen. I still think Mendenhall can be a helluva back in this league...but when there are no holes and no push from the offensive line...hell not even Bettis would have done much tonight.

I totally agree. Adrian Peterson would not have had over 40 yards in this game with the run blocking we displayed.

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 03:18 AM
MeMo is more effective because our offense is evolving into a passing one, and he's the best receiving threat out of the 3.

CaliStillersFan
09-11-2009, 03:31 AM
I think it's official after tonight - Fast Willie Parker is now just Willie Parker. :( He's gone anyway after the season, so mine as well get the other backs the opportunity to improve. Heck at 1.6 ypc let's bring up Redman and see what he can do. I have seen nothing to give me any confidence that Mendenhall can get it done.

mmalone
09-11-2009, 05:11 AM
I think it's official after tonight - Fast Willie Parker is now just Willie Parker. :( He's gone anyway after the season, so mine as well get the other backs the opportunity to improve. Heck at 1.6 ypc let's bring up Redman and see what he can do. I have seen nothing to give me any confidence that Mendenhall can get it done.

Arians needs to give the same style play calls to Parker and Mendenhall that he calls when Moore is in... were a passing team.. its arians football right..

Arians changes the whole game when Moore is in.. he doesnt think Mendy or Parker can catch out of the backfield so they dont get those style plays....

If they can catch... then why werent they used like Moore is used???
Moore and Miller do the same thing, they wait to block then split out to the flat..
2 defenders have to follow them. 2 less on Ben.

Arians is wierd..... thats all... So the offense looks wierd...

Logan and Sep were great they gave us a chance to win... thank you
Sep was actually out punted, but Logan got us the field position and ST yards from the titans great kicks...

Steeldude
09-11-2009, 07:01 AM

I love MeMo!

just like last season.

stlrtruck
09-11-2009, 07:49 AM
We move the ball better because MeMo is used out of the backfield more as a receiving back, Parker is not.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2009, 10:13 AM
We move the ball better because MeMo is used out of the backfield more as a receiving back, Parker is not.

That is because Parker has bricks for hands.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Not fair to bricks to compare them to Parker's hands! :laughing:

LVSteelersfan
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I am glad they used Moore so much. He is one of my favorites. There is no excuse for Parker's ineptness EXCEPT he shouldn't be run up the gut so much. It is not his strength. They need to use him in that no huddle on the edges. I just don't get it why he was not in the game at all during the no huddle when the other team was spread out. Instead they use him in obvious run situations and try to stuff him in against 8 in the box. The play calling just sucks. We need to just start every game in the no huddle and not get out of it until other teams show they can't stop it.

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2009, 10:49 AM
MeMo looks better because he is always in for the 2 minute drill and the hurry up offense, which coincidently is when Ben is at his best, because he is improvising and calling alot of his own plays. Not to mention spreading things out.

Thank you...I agree 100%

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Ive liked MeMo from the get go. He is a good running back and also a pretty good receiver where Parker is not. Parker obviously has some work to. He needs to quit the straight up the gut runs and cut it to the outside where his speed can be lethal. Or the playcalling around Parker needs to be centered around toss plays, counters to the outside, and stretch plays where MeMo and Mendenhall can work up the gut.

But like everyone is saying it was only the first game and with the combination of a poor OL and a great DL of the Titans and there game plan surrounding the run game, this all means nothing. We can't make assuptions just yet. Were 1 and 0 so LETS GO STEELERS!

stillers4me
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I hope to see more of MeMO. I was disappointed when Willie came back from injury last year and MeMo disappeared.

Incidently. Moore was very close to being the hero of the Superbowl. Ben threaded the needle with Tone. Moore was wide open.

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, MeMo gets much better looks, spread fields, ops to catch out of the backfield, ops to run against 3-4 man fronts instead of 8-9 man fronts...

But I think that's the way it should be...he's a 3rd down/long down back, that's what his skill set is, and that's the way he should be used...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Yup, MeMo gets much better looks, spread fields, ops to catch out of the backfield, ops to run against 3-4 man fronts instead of 8-9 man fronts...

But I think that's the way it should be...he's a 3rd down/long down back, that's what his skill set is, and that's the way he should be used...

Agreed. He is our best pass catching back, and he is a pretty damn good blocker in pass protection. He's being used for the role he was given.

stlrtruck
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM

I won't argue that. But to compare our moving the ball based on Parker's running vs. MeMo's running when in actuality it had more to do with our OL not being able to open up holes vs. MeMo's soft hands and quick feet out of the backfield and in to the flats.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Because MeMo is the RB during no huddle? :noidea:

Edman
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Our Running backs can't run up the middle against 8-man run blitzes and top ranked run defenses! They suck! Parker is washed up! Mendy is a bust! Moore is the best!

Granted. Parker did do a little too much dancing in the backfield.

mmalone
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
It's a little soon IMO to be drawing conclusions. I glad we got the W but the first game is pretty much a write off. If the second, then third and fourth game play out the same then I would agree our running game needs a lollipop .

Let's not forget the teats are no slouch team. It's not like playing the bills on opening night. Our boys need some time to gel together and gain momentum.

ill buy that for now. it would be nice to start like the ravens will, with KC and cassel down.

we would at least get to try a few more things on offense in a game like that...

:tt03::tt03: