PDA

View Full Version : The Running Game...

Steelerfreak58
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Very few runs outside the tackles tonight where I believe we always do our best with Fast Willie and should be testing Mendenhall. Instead we get between the tackle run after run after run and wonder why Ben gets sacked with 3rd and long.

Let Ben throw the ball and run the ball outside the tackles more and you will get a much better effect in my book.

MACH1
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I guess thats why your not the coach.

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Game one against a good defense, im not making any assumptions yet,

CargoJon
09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Right before we missed the 3rd and 1 where we ran it (when we tied it on the ugly FG), I told my wife "don't run it, don't run it,"

Pi Kapp Steeler
09-11-2009, 12:18 AM
i commented on this nonsense in another thread... here lemme go find it

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM

Bingo. That's where I'm at.

I am a huge supporter of BA, but the one and probably only thing I disagree with him on is him not using a fullback to lead the way for Parker and Mendy. I'm a big fan of utilizing a FB to get that extra punch.

CargoJon
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM

I am a huge supporter of BA, but the one and probably only thing I disagree with him on is him not using a fullback to lead the way for Parker and Mendy. I'm a big fan of utilizing a FB to get that extra punch.

Excellent point - remember the Kreider days?

Pi Kapp Steeler
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I know most of you dont wanna hear this, but the offensive play call was horrible. The reason why we dont have a ground game is because we make so obvious when we are going to run! ahhhh this was a stressful game!

Preacher
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Excellent point - remember the Kreider days?

Thing is, we did a few times tonight... with no better result. Summers had a bad game.

But I really don't think a good FB will fix this. There is something else wrong. However, I keep being amazed that our team keeps pulling it out.

As I said before, I'd rather have horrible running and bad line play for a while, then have it all click in the end to win a game, then great line play and running, and lose the game in the end. Seen that too many times too.

So--Good fro this team! we are 1-0! That, I WILL TAKE!

fansince'76
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Hard to run against a good run D that stacks the box with 8 or 9 guys. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried about converting short yardage, though. Hopefully it works itself out. :hope:

devilsdancefloor
09-11-2009, 12:35 AM
this short yardage thing is driving me insane i used to like 3 & 1 or 2 now i dread it! and on 2 of the 3rd and shorts the tank missed his blocking assignment

Preacher
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm definitely worried about the run game.

But it is in balance with who we played, the kind of team we have, how much passing talent we have, etc.

I do want to see a much better run game next week. But hey, I don't care if we ever run the ball IF we can win as well.

steelreserve
09-11-2009, 12:40 AM
he always starts out fast because he is completely healthy come the first game... we'll see for how long he can stay that way.... :coffee:

(no, he always starts out fast because we've happened to play shitty teams in Week 1)

Fixed for accuracy. There's your real reason.

39 yards on 20 carries this time, unless this is the year the Titans self-destruct.

Why do I even need to keep explaining this?

Shitty opponent, and Parker gets 100 yards. Good opponent, and it's a stink bomb that cripples the whole offense. Are you people blind, or what?

cubanstogie
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I know most of you dont wanna hear this, but the offensive play call was horrible. The reason why we dont have a ground game is because we make so obvious when we are going to run! ahhhh this was a stressful game!

I respectfully disagree. You shouldn't have to trick the defense for 1 yard. Power football is when its 3rd and 1 and you can convert even though the D knows a run is coming. IMO its not a chess game on 3rd and 1. Sure we can convert throwing on occasion but if the O line and FB aren't getting a push we won't convert. That is where the problem is. Bottom line is against Titans, Ravens we are going to have a tough time running the ball. You can't expect Arians to have to pull a play out of the hat on 3rd and one. We need to control line of scrimmage and be able to run it up the gut. If we go to the air consistently all year we are asking for trouble, as frustrating as it is we can't abandon the run especially in the beginning of the game.

Steel_Bus_24
09-11-2009, 12:47 AM
ffffing terrible just like I feared

Ben won't last having to drop back 43 times, with the way he plays

The run game has to be there if we want to make any noise this year

X-Terminator
09-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Why do I even need to keep explaining this?

Shitty opponent, and Parker gets 100 yards. Good opponent, and it's a stink bomb that cripples the whole offense. Are you people blind, or what?

You would have a point this time if the other RBs were effective running the ball, which they obviously were not. But keep blaming Parker anyway.

You know, at some point you might want to consider our very below-average OL run blocking, and that the guys on the other side of the ball are pretty damn good too. It's not JUST Parker.

7SteelGal43
09-11-2009, 12:48 AM
When we have to go to the pass more often then not on 3rd and VERY short, somethings wrong. Someone pointed out that it was game 1 against a very good defense so, we'll see. But tell me something.....is the line not creating openings for our backs or do we just lack in the back department ?

fansince'76
09-11-2009, 12:49 AM
You would have a point this time if the other RBs were effective running the ball, which they obviously were not. But keep blaming Parker anyway.

He will, not to worry.

O Sensei
09-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I think we need to come to grips with the fact that this is a pass first team in the making. The O line is just better at it...simple as that. I know some of you....LOVE BA....even more than his momma and his agent do...but he does not know how to call a running attack, just my opinion....in parker you have a back thats excels running behind a fullback which we rarely see....and tonight we see him running behind Summers who clearly needs some work at the task. Parker still goes down way too easily in traffic, he should be going off tackle...we still don't know what Mendenhall is....Moore just may be our best option at the position. The billion dollar question is does anyone really think BB is gonna be able to take this pounding all season long....another season long and manage to see his tenth year in the league? There are a thousand great things about this team....this running game can and very well may end up undermining all of them. BA refuses to take Ben's game away from him....yet his playcalling and personel groupings have taken everything out of the rushing attack that would EXTEND his QBs career and make him even more effective.

cubanstogie
09-11-2009, 12:56 AM
I think we need to come to grips with the fact that this is a pass first team in the making. The O line is just better at it...simple as that. I know some of you....LOVE BA....even more than his momma and his agent do...but he does not know how to call a running attack, just my opinion....in parker you have a back thats excels running behind a fullback which we rarely see....and tonight we see him running behind Summers who clearly needs some work at the task. Parker still goes down way too easily in traffic, he should be going off tackle...we still don't know what Mendenhall is....Moore just may be our best option at the position. The billion dollar question is does anyone really think BB is gonna be able to take this pounding all season long....another season long and manage to see his tenth year in the league? There are a thousand great things about this team....this running game can and very well may end up undermining all of them. BA refuses to take Ben's game away from him....yet his playcalling and personel groupings have taken everything out of the rushing attack that would EXTEND his QBs career and make him even more effective.

How can you blame BA for the lack of running game. We obviously have to try and establish run.We can't go to run and shoot, or be consistent passing all the time on 3rd and 1. It was a close game throughout and BA abandoned the run at the right time, the end of the game. Therefore he adapted and overcame the o lines and rb's inability to get a push. BA can't be held accountable for poor execution such as Summers attempts to block. Remember he is a rookie though so there is a huge room for improvement and the Titans have an excellent D line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2009, 01:20 AM
3rd down and 1 yard, the Steelers go 4 wide and throw a slant to Holmes.

No need for a running game, the Steelers are all about Ben passing to gain yardage and playing solid defense. Kind of reminds me of the Bills and the K-gun offense with the no huddle.

wyn50
09-11-2009, 02:26 AM
ben is playing the spread offense more like his college days. run and shoot type offense where you hope the pass opens up the running game. that is the hope.....