PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Report Card: Game 1 vs. Titans

mesaSteeler
09-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Steelers Report Card: Game 1 vs. Titans
Gerry Dulac grades the Steelers' effort in a 13-10 win against the Titans
Friday, September 11, 2009
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09254/997253-66.stm

Steelers Ben Roethlisberger celebrates with his teammates after scoring the team's first touchdown against the Titans in the second quarter at Heinz Field last night.

QUARTERBACK B+

After a sloppy start, Ben Roethlisberger did what he always seems to do in those situations -- complete four passes in a row for 79 yards to give the Steelers a 7-0 lead. Roethlisberger finished 15 of 21 for 180 yards in the first half, but he also threw two interceptions and was careless with several throws. He finished 33 of 43 for 363 yards and completed his last 12 passes in regulation.

RUNNING BACKS F

The run game was non-existent for most of the night, but it was near-pathetic in the first half when the Steelers managed just 12 yards on 10 carries. Willie Parker had 9 yards on eight carries in the first half and his longest run was 5 yards. Rashard Mendenhall carried twice for 3 yards. Thank goodness for third-down back Mewelde Moore, who had four catches for 28 yards.

WIDE RECEIVERS A-

Santonio Holmes picked up right where he left off last season, catching six passes for 83 yards in the first half, including a 34-yard TD. He finished with nine catches for 131 yards. TE Heath Miller bailed out Roethlisberger several times, catching eight passes for 64 yards. Hines Ward's big night (8 for 103) was overshadowed by his fumble at the Titans' 4 with 51 seconds left.

OFFENSIVE LINE C-

Forget that the running game was grossly ineffective, gaining only 36 yards on 23 carries. Hey, Roethlisberger was sacked three times in the first half and it looked like a good outing for the offensive line. He actually had time to throw in the second quarter and he took advantage on the last two series, throwing for 110 yards.

DEFENSIVE LINE B-

The Titans had 44 yards rushing in the first half, but 32 came on a run by Chris Johnson when he reversed his field. Johnson and LenDale White combined for 85 yards on 23 carries. DE Aaron Smith's biggest play was blocking a 31-yard field goal by Rob Bironas, but he also had one of the few pressures from the defensive line.

LINEBACKERS B

James Farrior had the only sack in the first half as Kerry Collins again had too much time. LaMarr Woodley lost containment on Johnson's 32-yard run and also whiffed on a tackle on a swing pass to Johnson that gained 11 yards in the second quarter. James Harrison forced a fumble that was recovered by Keyaron Fox, starting for injured Lawrence Timmons, in the third quarter.

DEFENSIVE BACKS C-

Troy Polamalu was both sensational and mistake-prone until he injured his left knee late in the first half and did not return. He made a tremendous play to drop Johnson for a 2-yard loss on the Titans' third play and later made a terrific one-handed interception. But he was also called for a late hit out of bounds and a face mask penalty, not to mention a pass interference call that was offset.

SPECIAL TEAMS A

This was one of the few bright spots for the team. Stefan Logan opened with a 39-yard kick return in his NFL debut and also added a 34-yarder, punter Daniel Sepulveda was strong, Smith blocked a field goal, the coverage units were solid and Jeff Reed kicked the winning 33-yard FG. They needed all that to overcome a lack of a running game and some sloppy assignments in the secondary.

COACHING C-

It's somewhat expected in the first game that the offense is not always going to look crisp, especially against a good defense. But there appeared to be confusion in the secondary, as well. As was the case last year in the blowout in Nashville, the Titans stood up to the Steelers and did a better job of being physical. And they stopped them on third down.
Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09254/997253-66.stm#ixzz0QnXAj2Fy

TackleMeBen
09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
DEFENSIVE BACKS C-

Troy Polamalu was both sensational and mistake-prone until he injured his left knee late in the first half and did not return. He made a tremendous play to drop Johnson for a 2-yard loss on the Titans' third play and later made a terrific one-handed interception. But he was also called for a late hit out of bounds and a face mask penalty, not to mention a pass interference call that was offset.

i thought that pass interference call was bullcrap.

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I give the RB's a C-...hard to run with two guys in your face. As a corollary to that, the oline gets a B for pass blocking, and a C for run blocking, but mitigated a little because it's hard for 6 guys to block 8.

I'm okay with the rest of these...

stb_steeler
09-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Yep
The receiver ran into him. Not the other way around.

Steelboy84
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
QB- B +

RB- D-

WR- A

OL- C

DL- C

LB- B

DB- C

ST- A

StainlessStill
09-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Quarterback: After a slow start, then completing 16 of 18 balls in the 4th.OT for over 360 yards, Ben proves why he is elite in the game today. GRADE: B+

Running Backs: What Running Backs? (MeMo dependable in the passing game) GRADE: F

Tight Ends: Heath Miller found his niche in the passing game, and finally reminded the coaching staff on why he was brought in here at #1. A WEAPON! Nice lead blocks on standups and leading the way for the receivers. One of the best blocking TE'S in the NFL. Also the top 3 overall Tight Ends in the game. The jury is still out by Spaeth, and clearly the Double Tights in the run game isn't working. GRADE: A

Wide Receivers: Posted our first duo going over 100 yards in the same game, and first under Tomlin in Holmes (who will never drop a ball again!) or the Warrior that is Hines Ward. A Hines Ward with something to prove spells doom for defense's. Also, Mike Wallace stepping up big with the clutch catch. GRADE: A

Offensive Line: Run Blocking was terrible, and opened up no lanes for the RB's to run through. That said, Pass Protection showed up in the 2nd half and looked like a veteran and fluid line, giving Ben extraordinary time to sit back there and deliver. Things to work on, but also things we should be happy about., pass protection wise. GRADE: C

Defensive Line: Casey Hampton got his feet wet, and for most of the game, the D-Line was getting pressure on Collins. A little room was made for Johnson and White to run through, which is uncharacteristic like. Again, things to work on, but overall a solid performance. Grade: B

Linebackers: LeBeau had our linebackers dropping back early in the game and putting our best pass rushers in coverage, but all that was due to scheme. Harrison is still a Silverback and unblockable, and Woodley had some nice pressure's. Fox filled in well and had a worth and solid debut. He now proved we have depth at the LB core. Farrior was getting nice pressure also and had a nice sack. Grade: B

Secondary: A so-so night for the Secondary. They had multiple miss communications, (mainly after Troy left the game) and was getting picked apart underneath and also sideline routes. This must be fixed, esp in the next couple games against teams like CHI, CINCI, and SD. Polamalu is the ULTIMATE ALL PRO and his loss will hurt us immensely. Hopefully we will be sitting nice at the bye so we can give him some more time to rest for the 2nd half of the season. Expected to come back before, though. GRADE: C-, Troy- A.

Special Teams: WOW! What a difference 2 players make! This is the first time in a LOOOONG TIME that the Steelers can now win games in the hand of the Special Teams. Supulveda is an unsung hero and forced Tenn in multiple tough situations backed up in their own zone. Stefan Logan is a dangerous man and will break many this year. We found a gem in this guy. Reed is the ultimate pro, and is Mr. Automatic. He deserves a nice contract extension after the season if he keeps it up. Also, Nice on the FG block, it's been awhile! Kudo's to Aaron Smith with the ups and penetration. Overall: A+

Overall team grade: A lot of things to work on, esp on the offensive side of the ball, but Ben proved he can carry this team with his arm, time, and time again. We need to find a rhythm, and gain confidence in the running game that doesn't exist at the moment. (Paging Mr. Mendenhall.) Troy's loss hurts, but we didn't suffer for it as bad as I thought we would. Here's to wishing Troy a speedy recovery. Depth is important to any football team and it shows. Sitting good, esp against a tough opponent in Week 1. GRADE: B-

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Coaches.... C-

try

Defense Coach A

Arians Bunch F

equals C

OMG my eyes are bleeding from reading your slimy trail of putrefied garbage posts...you DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING about football...if anything, I'd say Arians outcoached LeBeau last night, as there were times when Tennessee simply moved the ball, both running and passing at will...

You wanted more screens: You got em
You wanted more passing: You got it
You wanted more short pass plays: You got it

You got what you wanted, BA called a brilliant game, and you give him an F...you are just TOO much...

We HAVE to run the ball sometimes, you twit...please ban yourself from this site until next February and save us all from your 50 football IQ....

TackleMeBen
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Yep
The receiver ran into him. Not the other way around.
i think the refs decided it was pick on troy night. that was offensive pass, the only thing troy could have gotten called for legal was cutting the runner off.

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL

you just opened up a can of tears and whining

Speaking of whining, where's the $50 you owe me, you fraud...

By the way, where's YOUR witty analysis of the game? The typical "This sucks because I say so" garbage? You and mmalone are cut from the same idiotic fabric...

fansince'76
09-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Coaches.... C-

try

Defense Coach A

Arians Bunch F

equals C

LOL

you just opened up a can of tears and whining

Nope. At this point, especially in regards to that individual, I simply consider the source, roll my eyes and move along....

LVSteelersfan
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Once again there were quite a few questionable calls by the refs. That PI on Troy was so bogus. It should have been offensive PI because the receiver obviously pushed him in the back. More of the no holding calls against Harrison. Just unbelievable that we get bogus defensive calls and can't get anything going the other way.

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Report card

Steelers = A (With the Win)

Titans = F (for the Loss)

Now....I hate the Fcking Bears!!!

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I have NO problem listening to arguments against Arians, I simply request that they MAKE SOME KIND OF SENSE.

When people who don't understand how an offense works, don't know what a West Coast offense is, don't know what a screen pass is, etc, etc, they lack the insight and credibility necessary to debate intelligently. Unfortunately it's numbnuts of this ilk who both the longest and the loudest, and it gets VERY frustrating after a while...

steeltheone
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Not an Arians fan, but i thought he did well. The OL run blocking should be an F...

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
No, but hearing the exact same points as to why he sucks over and over and over and over and over and over again for months, actually at this point, years on end, gets a bit old.

:applaudit::applaudit:
Thank you so much! Im to the point where i don't care about anyones opinion about him. Every single day there is a new thread after a game saying Arians sucks, fire him. SHUT UP!

Sharkissle29
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I have NO problem listening to arguments against Arians, I simply request that they MAKE SOME KIND OF SENSE.

When people who don't understand how an offense works, don't know what a West Coast offense is, don't know what a screen pass is, etc, etc, they lack the insight and credibility necessary to debate intelligently. Unfortunately it's numbnuts of this ilk who both the longest and the loudest, and it gets VERY frustrating after a while...

Im an avid football fan, so much to a point that i have books reading about offenses and defenses (would like to coach my son when i have one) and i know you have to run the football.

i cant remember exactly when (beers) but it was 3rd and 1. at that point, the running game was already shot. then we motion someone which shows that we are definitely gonna run....and we get stuffed. i just didnt get it, at least run a play action or something

Stlrs4Life
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM
OL, a "D". RBs a C. Over all, a C-.

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, Troy only had one bad play and it was the face mask. The late hit was very tickytack and the pass interference was complete BS; it should have been offensive pass interference.

Other than that I would have to agree with the grades.

SteelTalons
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
OMG my eyes are bleeding from reading your slimy trail of putrefied garbage posts...you DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING about football...if anything, I'd say Arians outcoached LeBeau last night, as there were times when Tennessee simply moved the ball, both running and passing at will...

You wanted more screens: You got em
You wanted more passing: You got it
You wanted more short pass plays: You got it

You got what you wanted, BA called a brilliant game, and you give him an F...you are just TOO much...

We HAVE to run the ball sometimes, you twit...please ban yourself from this site until next February and save us all from your 50 football IQ....

+1
There's no better way to put this.

Preacher
09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Arians- A+ for the passing game. D+ for the run game. He can design a passing game that is simply lights out. He is brilliant at it. The run game planning however, is an issue. IMO, his run plans are too complicated. It takes flawless execution by every player in order to make each of his runs work. The problme is, we are not getting that flawless execution. On top of that, the formations he runs out of are putting 8 and 9 guys in the box, which is allowing the LB's to fill the lanes and stuff runs. There is a tell someplace in his game. It may be formation. But other teams have picked up on it. IMO, if Arians can fix this element of his coaching--he will be lights out....

RB's. D. They have no room to run. However, they also seem to be shell-shocked. I saw times in the first quarter where Willie would have had room to run had he only taken a cut to the left. However, he had his head down and rocketed into the pile.... moved it about 2 yards, but still ran right into the pile.

Line B+ for passing game. Dang they looked good. If memory serves, only one sack was actually the lines fault. That one had three guys running around Starks. It was an overload that was meant to confuse and screw with the line, and it worked. THere were individual weaknesses. but I am only through 1 quarter of breakdown, so I am not going to speak about them here. Run Game C-. The weren't allowing a lot of peole into the backfield to blow up the run. However, they also weren't getting much push. The more I watch this, the more I think the problem here is the scheming on the runs. However, I also saw some distinct execution problems.

Ben F in the first quarter. A+ for the rest of the game. Anyone think he was more nervous playing infront of his home crowd last night than in the SB? :chuckle: Short throw, over throw, bad choices. Then he calmed down and threw something like 30 of 37 for completions :jawdrop: Are you KIDDING ME? After that first quarter his QB rating was in the 102-105 range. Take out the Hail Mary interception and it is 113-118 range.

Receivers. A+. They came to play, and they did. Ward gets docked for making a rookie mistake. But he knew it, re-learned the lesson from it, and came right back and got the first down next drive.

FB's. F. Horrid.

D. LIne B-. Hampton was getting pushed around? Runs gashing us at times? Come on D line. However, Hoke came in and put and end to it. Then Hampton was ticked, came in, and started playing like Hampton.

LB's. C. Couldn't get to the QB except for once. Did decent in coverage. Honestly, they looked like an average LB core last night.

DB's. C+. Same. Missed some tackles. However, they had some nice plays.

ST's. A+ :hunch: I am as thoroughly confused by this fact as SteelReserve would be in the HOF by a Willie Parker bust.

All in all. The team gets a C+. They were average. But the + comes of the passing game and the return game.

Texasteel
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Nope. At this point, especially in regards to that individual, I simply consider the source, roll my eyes and move along....

Now you and I both know that the 2 ints. and the 4 sacks, and Wards fumble, belong to BA. All the passing yards, the TD, and the win belongs to,,,,,, well the defence I guess.

steelreserve
09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd put the QB a tiny bit higher, the DL a tiny bit higher (they couldn't run on us all day), and for the running backs, there ought to be a grade worse than F.

PisnNapalm
09-11-2009, 04:33 PM

It was complete bullcrap. If anything offensive interference should have been called.

steelreserve
09-11-2009, 04:40 PM
There were a few shitty calls in the first half. Pass interference was one, Harrison getting mugged was another, and the late hit was unbelievable bullshit as well -- although people have probably gotten so used to seeing a flag for hitting a guy half an inch out of bounds that most people barely noticed.

Steel_Bus_24
09-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I saw where our Running game was heading after last years 2nd game with the Bengals.....where their 3rd-4th string Dline manhandled our guys for most of that game

Its why I cherish that SB so much. Now our running game has become a lesson of futility...........

and we get the worst Rushing Performance in the History of Heinz Field:sadpace:

I love the Steelers and realize I have it better then just about any other fan. But I don't think we'll ever be dominant with this line.....and I don't think we should scream blasphemy or Traitor when people point that out and who are angry about it