PDA

View Full Version : Not your father's Steelers anymore

SteelStang
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
While I think most Steelers' fans have gotten on board with the fact we are no longer a running team, I would like to invite the 'experts' to get on board as well. When will these guys stop sounding surprised that we can't run the ball??? Since Arians has been OC, this is what it has been plan and simple. And what 'creative':rolleyes: playcalling again on 2nd and short and 3rd and short before settling for the tying FG. Is BA trying to surprise the defense by actually running because they know we can't? He drives me nuts.

I think a lot of us will be questioning the front office again this year and their lack of bringing in more O-linemen whether through the draft or FA. While I love this 'no-huddle, let BR do his thing' bit, I long for the days of pounding the rock and having a huge advantage on time of possession.

OK, I have to relax. We got the win and Troy's injury doesn't appear to be as bad as it could have been. We have 10 days off too and man is it nice coming in to work with a W!

SteelKid212
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
i dunno... willie parker seemd really hesitant to me on his runs... what do u all think?

spyboots
09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
It will come back to bite us in the butt.

GeneralRobinson
09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
We don't have to be a running team. Just a balanced team.

arge5809
09-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Being able to run the ball would be nice, but whatever it take.. a win is a win!

:tt03: :thumbsup:

OX1947
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Titans are a great run stopping team. Parker still looks hurt. I do not know why Mendenhall didn't get more then 4 rushes in a the game but Titans made an effort to stop the run the whole time. So much so that they sacrificed the pass and Ben made them pay. Its safe to say that the Steelers are offically Big Ben's team front and center. Especially with Holmes looking to take his game to All pro level and Hines doing his usual as well as Health Miller FINALLY getting the ball. Titans will be the toughest team the Steelers face this year. So it should be ok.

revefsreleets
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Do we REALLY need ANOTHER "I hate Arians" thread?

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
hmmmm last night was a bit similar to last season...

Oh yeah we won a superbowl last season doing the same shit,

rock hard defense.
crappy run game.
jeff reed's ice cold veins.
and late game big ben drives that leave you saying, "why didn't we just do that earlier"

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::t t03:

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
We don't have to be a running team. Just a balanced team.

A-freakin-men. :thumbsup::applaudit:

Today's NFL isn't all about the ground game. Most successful teams balance out their offense and that is exactly the direction the Steelers want to go in. Personally, I love offensive balance - keeps the opposing D guessing and brings versatility to the game plan.

Do we REALLY need ANOTHER "I hate Arians" thread?

Don't worry - if it heads in that direction, I will lock it down.

hindes204
09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
While I think most Steelers' fans have gotten on board with the fact we are no longer a running team, I would like to invite the 'experts' to get on board as well. When will these guys stop sounding surprised that we can't run the ball??? Since Arians has been OC, this is what it has been plan and simple. And what 'creative':rolleyes: playcalling again on 2nd and short and 3rd and short before settling for the tying FG. Is BA trying to surprise the defense by actually running because they know we can't? He drives me nuts.

I think a lot of us will be questioning the front office again this year and their lack of bringing in more O-linemen whether through the draft or FA. While I love this 'no-huddle, let BR do his thing' bit, I long for the days of pounding the rock and having a huge advantage on time of possession.

OK, I have to relax. We got the win and Troy's injury doesn't appear to be as bad as it could have been. We have 10 days off too and man is it nice coming in to work with a W!

Here we go again....one game into the season...lemme re-phrase that, one WIN into the season, and the haters are already out complaining about BAs offensive scheme, and the mistakes of the FO......do we really need to go through this again, thats what you people said all last year, and that ended up pretty good didnt it

Willbert
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
While I agree Willie Parker looked slightly hesitant, there's nothing wrong with running by commitee.

The thing with the Steelers is that it's a team ethic, a team wins and loses. If we can run the ball then great, if not, then aslong as the team can play and scrape results thats even better because it shows character.

We are only one game in, against a good run stuffing side. I'm more concerned about BR holding on to the ball too long than the running game. The offensive line has had so many changes recently, there has to be a point where it is allowed to settle in order to see if it has the right mix before anyone presses the panic button.

I'm in no position to question the old guard fans, but a team that can ONLY run the ball in todays game is a team that does not win playoff games.

SteelKid212
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
reason the run struggled is plain and simple... first game jitters... o-line gettin to know each other "again" and get comfortable. and the titans have a solid defensive line and very disciplined agressive defense all around.

B.A's fault??... i dont think so.
Parkers Fault??... not likely.
O-lines fault??... naaah. (to early to tell anyway)

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
The OL can have terrible games without the sky falling. The Eagles game last season made me think we might lose the rest of our games with play like that, but that was it, it was just one game. One off game.

The common denominator is Arians though. I don't think he's inept, I just think he might be too conservative.

Pass oriented offenses are more exciting, but they have a terrible track record for winning Superbowls (18-1 Pats anyone?). The Colts didn't win a Superbowl until they picked up Joseph Addai and established a decent run game that season, enough to at least compliment the pass.

Just because the run isn't working now doesn't mean we should abandon it all together. The key is to dictate to the defense and keep them honest. If teams are going to dedicate their defenses to stop our run game and force us to beat them through the air, we certainly can do that. But I think teams this season should eventually start to learn that bogus notion that we can't win through the air, and when that happens they'll change their defensive strategies, and when that happens, we need to be ready with a ground game.

Mobyguzzer
09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I can get on board with winning via the air........but man do I miss the soul sucking drives of 4-6 yards and the looks of futility on the oppositions faces. A punishing all run drive capped off by a 2yd TD takes a teams heart away. But I'll be happy as long as the game ends in a Steeler win.

steeltheone
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
The Titans DB'S looked like that last night. They did not know where BB was going to strike next.

Edman
09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
"Taking the will out of teams via the run" really brought home a lot of Lombardies under Cowher. Do we need to run the ball better? Yes. Because it gives us a better chance to win. Parker's stutterstepping and dancing is not going give us a better chance at winning.

What the Steelers are striving for is BALANCE. We have a passing game most definately, but we want the running game to help the balance.

7SteelGal43
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Why are we content be either a passing team or a running team ? Look at the 70s ? We had WRs Swann and Stallworth and RBs Harris and Blier. BALANCE !!! :tt03:

bigj26o(scm 899)
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Its great to see them letting Ben run the show and to quite those critics that question his arm and quarterbacking, he continues to be clutch down the stretch(more 2min game winning drive since he came into the leauge than any other QB even named tom or peyton) but we need to get the run game going to save Ben's life back there. If we could just get it balanced so defenses just dont try to T off on blitzing.

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
This thread is a nano second away from being locked down.

Preacher
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Ok.

To the heart of the thread.

I gotta say this is exactly your father's steelers. Go back and look at the SB dynasty. Look at the evolution of that team from a run team to a pass team. The last SB was won pretty much ONLY through the air.

Now, 2004 should have been ours as well if the Pats* didn't use videotape. That was a run first, run always team. Now look at the evolution. We would be going for our fourth trophy again, in just a year more than last time.

That is Exactly what our father's Steelers did, and the exact pattern of run to pass they followed.

4xSBChamps
09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok.

To the heart of the thread.

I gotta say this is exactly your father's steelers. Go back and look at the SB dynasty. Look at the evolution of that team from a run team to a pass team. The last SB was won pretty much ONLY through the air.

:iagree:

When 'em Stillers won their first SB, in 1974, the League was predicated on 'run-first, pass when you NEED to', less-than 7 years after Lombardi's last triumph, and coming-off consecutive Championships by the Dolphs of Csonka, Kiick, and Morris:
at that time, Noll doubted that Bradshaw had developed the skills to led the team based-on a passing game, and the rules still favored a ground-attack.

When the League legalized offensive holding (open-hand, elbows-in, arms-out), outlawed true 'bump-and-run' defense, limited each defender to a single chuck inside a 5-yard area, began calling PI on the most ticky-tack play, and protected the QB more than before, it became smart to throw the ball more-often, and ignore the running-game:
I recall a famous stat, spoken almost every game 30+ years ago how 'no QB had ever won a game when attempting 30 or-more passes', and now, all QB throw 40 or-more

Noll's intricate 'trap-blocking' required fast, intelligent OL with quick-feet, where pass-blocking and simple 'drive-blocking' needed big, strong players who could bulldog opposing defenders to the ground:
in SB 14, Sports Illustrated belittled the Lambs' running-attack of Wendell Tyler following 5 lumbering giants around end, dubbed 'the slob-sweep'

at the same time, Bradshaw no-longer played the Brett Favre / high-risk game he had in his earlier years, and had developed into a brilliant play-caller, with a great killer-instinct, and John Stallworth nudged Frank Lewis aside, giving 'em Stillers a formidible one-two punch when throwing deep:
indeed, Bradshaw played a good portion of the '77 season with his Left wrist broken, yet had a great statistical year.....

add the fact that Noll saw how vulnerable 'em Stillers were without Harris & Bleier in the 1976 AFC Championship Game, a one-sided loss to the Raiders where Harris (broken rib) and Bleier (broken toe) didn't play:
I believe these 3 factors (legalized holding & rule-changes, Bradshaw's maturity, and being vulnerable to losing his RB) helped Noll 'decide' to open-up the offense in the 2nd pair of SB years

Today, the game is a shell of it's former self, where a guy like Deion Sanders can be named Defensive Player of the Year when he makes 13 tackles in a single season (in the old days, PUNTERS made that many tackles during a season!):
TV likes the passing game, because it provides plenty of highlights for the talking-heads at ESPN, and parents will allow their kids to play 'pass-and-tab' with less-chance of injury.

My dad, who was a life-long Stiller-fan, watched his last game with me before passing-away earlier this year in the 1st Round this year, against San Diego, and said he liked the Steelers because 'they play old-school, smash-mouth, run it down your throat football':
he didn't agree when I said that NOBODY plays that style, nor will they ever again
:crying02:

scsteeler
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
i dunno... willie parker seemd really hesitant to me on his runs... what do u all think?

Yes I agree he did seem to pause to much instead of running. Of course those guys on the Titans defense are fast but before we go to far on this Arians & Parker thing lets let the season unfold. 1 game does not make a season.