PDA

View Full Version : Sweed or Wallace

bigj26o(scm 899)
09-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I think we need to make Mike Wallace the #3 receiver over Limas Sweed, to me Sweed still has not measured up to his potential and Mike Wallace is already showing the potential and what he can do for us.

:helmet: :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Limas Sweed didn't have a single ball thrown his was last night (at least none that I saw). Wallace had three catches and was targeted four our five times.

Sweed was also covered by the other teams third best corner, Wallace the other team's fourth or fifth. There is a big drop off on most teams from their nickel corner and their dime corner.

Sweed won the #3 spot outright by outperforming Wallace and McDonald in the preseason and it's going to take more than one game in the regular season to unseat him.

PalmerSteel
09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
lol, lets not get nuts over the first game of the season. like previous poster said, there is a reason sweed was appointed #3. if this trend continues for the next couple weeks, then sure, why not swap em for a week or two and see what happens.

steelpride12
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Wooo hooo it was the first game of the season. Sweed did not have one ball throw his way last night and Wallace had 3 his direction which shows nothing. Wallace is a rookie which gives Sweed the nod at #3 for now. Lets wait till toward the end of the season and who proves themselves worthy of that spot.

Kvnfaber
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
As long as we have a 3rd receiver who is consistently contributing, I don't care what the back of their jersey says.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Limas Sweed didn't have a single ball thrown his was last night (at least none that I saw). Wallace had three catches and was targeted four our five times.

Sweed was also covered by the other teams third best corner, Wallace the other team's fourth or fifth. There is a big drop off on most teams from their nickel corner and their dime corner.

Sweed won the #3 spot outright by outperforming Wallace and McDonald in the preseason and it's going to take more than one game in the regular season to unseat him.

Thanks for the logic. I was warming up with the WWF folding chair until I saw this. :chair:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the logic. I was warming up with the WWF folding chair until I saw this. :chair:

No problem man. Save the chair smackin for the Bears trolls that will come in here pounding their chests about the overrated Jay Cutler after they are done getting their asses handed to them by the Packers on Sunday night!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey, did anybody notice that on the INT by Finnegan at the end of the half.....Wallace was jogging back to try and get into the play.

Why can our great rookie with 4.28 speed not be able to run down Finnegan from behind???

Why did Starks have to make the tackle and Wallace could not?? :banging: I was screaming at the TV.

Steel Head
09-11-2009, 11:46 AM

not true

when we were in 3-WR sets, i think Wallace was in almost every time

When we went 5-WIDE (Miller as the 5th guy), Sweed was in but never targeted. How do you know they had their '3rd corner' on Sweed and their '4th corner' on Wallace??? You don't know so don't assume anything

I figured a bunch of the weird Sweed homers would be mad but I've quietly been on Wallace's bandwagon all along (so has HometownGal)

Sweed will get his chances but Wallace is playing well and the coaching staff has noticed

steelreserve
09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
It's simple: If Wallace keeps playing like he did in yesterday's game, he'll get the #3 job. If it was a one-time thing, then probably not. In either case, I've got just as much confidence in those guys as I ever did in Washington, so I'm not worried about our WR depth.

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
How many drops did our #3 have last night? Wanna bet it was less than our #3 from last season.

srk173
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
They pulled Sweed in most of the second half. Not sure if he was hurt or not. But from the stands it was obvious Sweed was doing nothing in the game.

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I think it's a bit premature to anoint Wallace as the #3 simply based on his performance last night. Why not use both of them in different sets?

Admittedly, I have been very impressed with Wallace overall and can see him eventually grabbing the #2 slot when Hines retires, but I think we're a few years away yet.

stlrtruck
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
To be honest with you, as much as I'd like to see Sweed play the game, I don't care who is in there as the 3rd, 4th, or 5th WR as long as the end result is a W!!!

Nadroj 20
09-11-2009, 01:29 PM
All i know is Wallace made a big catch in OT.....thats a good start for a rookie

brick
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
All i know is Wallace made a big catch in OT.....thats a good start for a rookie
+1, he didn't look a rookie making that catch, but too early to make him no3 off one game. i'm with the others who say we should use them in different spots in different sets.

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
You guys are thinking too inside the box. Sweed has also made enough plays to show he has amazing potential. Wallace's speed is very sexy, but the most important job of a WR is to catch passes. Wallace brings speed, Sweed brings a big target. Both can be exploited for their strengths. We don't need a #3 as much as we need alternative threats.

The reason I thought we saw a lot of Wallace was that he was a potential weapon to help offset the lack of a run game. There was a play where they faked an end around to him where Ben proceeded to end up passing it to him and it was essentially an extended hand off and they gained decent yards on it.

Also don't forget about the negatives that could be associated with Wallace being a rookie. The first pass thrown to him was a potential huge play on the very first series but he either ran too fast or Ben under threw it, at any rate more experience between the two probably would have resulted in a completion.

He also had an illegal formation penalty, and the very next play was Ben's only legitimate interception, a pass intended for Wallace...a pass perhaps he was out of position for...

He did make up for any of these potential negatives with his heads up improvising in OT, but still, one slightly above par play (lets not kid ourselves, that was nothing particularly special) in an otherwise mediocre performance at best is not going to win him too much credit.

I'd still choose Sweed over Wallace if I was forced to designate a #3, but I'm extremely excited about what both guys can bring to the table.

steelerdave1969
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Wallace deserves to be the no.3 guy in my oopinion.. Ben needs to work with him on the LONG Passes though so Ben can figure out just how Fast he really is.

Texasteel
09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Next week Sweed could make the game winning catch, and Wallace not catch a ball.

Lets not make any knee jerk decisions after a close win over a very good teem.

MasterOfPuppets
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I think it's a bit premature to anoint Wallace as the #3 simply based on his performance last night. Why not use both of them in different sets?

Admittedly, I have been very impressed with Wallace overall and can see him eventually grabbing the #2 slot when Hines retires, but I think we're a few years away yet.
actually i see him taking over holmes spot when he chases the big payday elsewhere ..:noidea:

feuerstarta
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
not true

when we were in 3-WR sets, i think Wallace was in almost every time

When we went 5-WIDE (Miller as the 5th guy), Sweed was in but never targeted. How do you know they had their '3rd corner' on Sweed and their '4th corner' on Wallace??? You don't know so don't assume anything

I figured a bunch of the weird Sweed homers would be mad but I've quietly been on Wallace's bandwagon all along (so has HometownGal)

Sweed will get his chances but Wallace is playing well and the coaching staff has noticed
Your right, I watched the game on DVR. Sweed was not in after the second series. He seemingly missed the rest of game. I think he got rolled up on in that 3 wr group to right when trying to block for going nowhere RB mendy. I believe he ran right into that group of WR.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
woohoo for Friday morning QBs. :thumbsup:

feuerstarta
09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
woohoo for Friday morning QBs. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah. I should of went to be a coach or scout or something instead of an IT security director for a newspaper. I wouldn't be out of a job when the papers collapsed and sold out remaining assets to another rendering me useless.

Hines0wnz
09-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah. I should of went to be a coach or scout or something instead of an IT security director for a newspaper. I wouldn't be out of a job when the papers collapsed and sold out remaining assets to another rendering me useless.

Ouch man. :doh:

sharkweek
09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
actually i see him taking over holmes spot when he chases the big payday elsewhere ..:noidea:

yeah, that's what I'm thinking

Holmes proclaimed himself as a Steelers fan before he was drafted by them, so there's always the potential for him to follow in Hines' footsteps and stay loyal, but he just has a different air about him that suggests he would chase the fame/fortune/glory elsewhere.

I still don't get all the unconditional Wallace love though. Is there something that he has done to deserve this outside his speed? Are people simply not that forgiving of Sweed's drop in the AFC Championship? I really haven't seen anything from Wallace that paints him out to have any significant advantage over Sweed.

Steelers7Fan
09-11-2009, 05:04 PM
This is Sweed's second season stop the excuses.
He needs to start getting open if he wants the ball.

Wallace made a very critical catch to set up the winning kick period.

Galax Steeler
09-13-2009, 07:47 AM
This is Sweed's second season stop the excuses.
He needs to start getting open if he wants the ball.

Wallace made a very critical catch to set up the winning kick period.

Ageed I think Wallace come to play some ball. He is trying hard and getting open he should have had a touchdown if Ben could have hit him on that long pass. Sweed had one thrown right to him last year in the playoff game against the Ravens I believe that Wallace would have made that catch it is starting to look like that Wallace might be ahead of Sweed if he keeps playing at a high level.

AllD
09-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I think the game does not rattle Wallace as it did Sweed as a rookie. Sweed has the height and Wallace, speed. Ward, Holmes, and Miller are all hands. McDonald is an honest #2 anywhere and he is on the bench. You don't need to be a Harvard professor to figure out that we need to pass the ball to those guys.

steel striker
09-13-2009, 08:08 AM
The jury is still out on his is the #3 rec. To me it does not matter who is in there as long as they catch the balls thrown to them. I'm sure we would like to see Sweed do something good but, Wallace made some keys grabs to help us win.

SteelerFanInATL
09-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I think we need to make Mike Wallace the #3 receiver over Limas Sweed, to me Sweed still has not measured up to his potential and Mike Wallace is already showing the potential and what he can do for us.

:helmet: :tt02:

After one game and now he should not be the #3 WR? Sweed has proved in camp is is a capable #3. When he does have a good game it will be said that he is deserving.

steelpride12
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I just wish Ben didn't underthrow Wallace on that first pass of the game because he truly had a chance to break that one tackle and take it to the house on his first reception!

LVSteelersfan
09-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I like Wallace. But the fact remains he is a rookie in the toughest position to learn in the NFL. Ben looked very miffed on that INT. I am sure Wallace didn't do something right on that play. Sweed will be very good for us if we can get to the red zone this year. You can't teach speed but you also can't teach tall. They will both get their chances. I think they are both basically number 3s depending on who we are playing.

Ravenssuck
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
I say EITHER / OR...

Most teams would KILL to have the GOOD PROBLEM of choosing between Sweed or Wallace.

By mixing it up, other teams will have a harder time preparing for our passing game.

Plus, i don't think it really matters who is third, or who is fourth, as long as they block, run their routes properly, and get their chances...

Do you think Mike Wallace cared if he was 3rd or 4th when he made the reception in O.T.???

Do you think Sweed will care if he is 3rd or 4th if they throw him 4-5 balls a game???

I hope not, because that would mean they are not TEAM PLAYERS.

For the moment, i say it doesn't really matter at all who is 3rd or 4th...:tt:

Psyychoward86
09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I love both, but i really wish they'd let McDonald suit up.

markymarc
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Sweed will and should be the #3 WR all season. Mike Wallace had a great first game. This debate will end once Sweed starts getting balls thrown to him. The bottom line though is this is a very nice problem to have and both of them will help our offense this year.

sherlock
09-17-2009, 03:52 AM

That`s high praise indeed MOP !....I tend to agree...therefore you`re probably wrong.HA!

SteelMember
09-17-2009, 07:45 AM
As long as we have a 3rd receiver who is consistently contributing, I don't care what the back of their jersey says.

To be honest with you, as much as I'd like to see Sweed play the game, I don't care who is in there as the 3rd, 4th, or 5th WR as long as the end result is a W!!!

You guys got it. It's not the name on the back, it's the name on the front. :thmbup:

Next week Sweed could make the game winning catch, and Wallace not catch a ball.

Lets not make any knee jerk decisions after a close win over a very good teem.

Exactly!

Ben needs to work with him on the LONG Passes though so Ben can figure out just how Fast he really is.

He looked to me to be trying to put too much touch on that pass, instead of just firing it down there. So your right in the sense that he may not have the timing yet for Wallace deep down the field.

SteelMember
09-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Oh, one more thought.

Since we all love to yell things like...

Heeeeeath!, Hooolmes!, and Sweeeeed!

What say when Wallace makes a big play we say...

Freeeedom!

http://shellgames.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mel-gibson-braveheart-photograph-c101019223.jpg

:wink02: :chuckle: