PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Quarterbacks

dyce22
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I am new to the board and for my first post, I figured I'd ask who everyone's top five QBs (in the game currently) are.

Personally, here is my list and short reasons why...

1) Drew Brees - Yeah, yeah, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon cause of last year right? Well, yeah and no. Last year impressed me, no doubt, but the reason he's my number 1 right now has nothing to do with that. He is the ONLY QB in LEAGUE HISTORY to throw 4400 yards and 26 touchdowns 4 years in a row. His Yards Per Completion (8.0 last year) are right there with the likes of the "Golden Boy" Tom Brady too, so saying he throws too often, or throws nothing but dump offs is no excuse.

2) Peyton Manning - Ok, do I really have to justify this one? 4,000 yards and 20+ TDs has become the STANDARD of this QB...not many QBs in history can claim they have his resume.

3 & 4) TIE - - - Big Ben/Tom Brady - Big Ben is the MOST athletic, durable, and exciting QB to watch, hands down, period. Yes, he is a gunslinger at times. Yes, he holds the ball too long at times. On the flip side to that, he makes arguably the most incredible plays of any QB in the game today. He won a SB with no running game last year, and while the numbers aren't eye gouging, he has more WINS than any QB in league history within their first 5 years. The only thing holding Big Ben back from having the statistical numbers of the other "Elites" is the attempts. Given enough attempts, sure his INTs will increase, but so will his yardage and TDs. He already ranks high year after year in YPC.

Tom Brady - Ok, I get it...he's the "Golden Boy". He can't make mistakes. He's the best ever. Riiiiiiiiight. Look, he's good, but he's not up there with the greats. Is he ONE of the best right now?...sure. Is he one of the best of all time?...MAYBE. From a statistical standpoint, I just think he's overrated. He was a career 3500 yard passer until Moss showed up. How many 4000 yard seasons has he had throughout his whole career....TWO! Sure, he threw 50 TDs, but took 81 more attempts to do so than Manning when he threw 49. Sure, he had lackluster WRs for years...yet, so does Brees and he managed better stats than Brady (before Moss). The only reason he is up this high on my board is...he wins and minimizes mistakes. He is the most clutch QB in the league outside of Big Ben, and just as Ben, he fits perfectly into the system built around him.

5) Phillip Rivers - Yeah, he only had that one great year, but when the team relied on him, he came through. He had 4000 yards last year without a legit number 1 WR. He isn't Big Ben or any of the rest on my list, but he is a VERY good QB. He threw 34 Tds with 11 INTs last year and boasted a whopping 8.4 yard average. Out of all the other 4000 yard QBs from last year, he is the most consistent and least flawed.

Honorable mentions - Kurt Warner, Jay Cutler, and Tony Romo - Warner didn't make the list simply because, while his numbers were undoubtedly impressive last year (and during his STL days) he's always had GREAT WRs. Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Marshall Faulk were his targets in STL and Fitzgerald and Boldin are his targets in ARZ. While he's a great QB, his WRs deserve just as much credit as he does for his success.

Cutler is a great young QB, but he makes too many mental errors and mistakes. The same goes for Romo. Romo, along with Eli Manning, are the most UNclutch QBs I can think of. I don't want either one running my offense if I have to score to win.

NEPAsteeler
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Welcome aboard! :tt02:

And it's hard to argue with your list. You made some very good points. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
09-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Good first post! :applaudit::drink:

1. Tom Brady (gags me to put him at #1 but unfortunately, he is a TD tossing machine).

2. Peyton Manning

3. Big Ben

4. Drew Brees

5. Kurt Warner

Kaeg
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I can't get behind Tom Brady just yet. I want him to prove he is just as effective when he doesn't know what the defense is going to do. He's a bit lower on my list until then.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
My list begins and ends with Ben.

Why? The man can get it done behind ANY oline in the league.

Put your list of QBs behind our oline and watch thier stats PLUMMET!

I REFUSE TO PUT ASSCHIN ON A LIST OF GOOD QBs!

Want me to put Marsha on a list? He goes on the QBs who cheated to win list!

Yeah thats right my hatred for marsha and belicheat still burns bright!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Just glad we got ben

steelwalls
09-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Could not have said it better

Lock Down
09-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I personally don't particular care for rankings when it comes to QB's in particular, it sort of begins to devalue the rest of the team or key components around the team that help the QB succeed. That's why Ben is incredibly valuable as he has proven with not the most stellar O-Line he can find a way to manage when many others would falter.

That being said if i had to rank QB's in terms of a player i would not want to face it would probably be Peyton Manning #1. I imagine him to be as what Ben has become though obviously with a variance in differences but even if he is struggling early on, you just know for the most part he comes good (though he hasn't been brilliant in playoffs) and becomes a nightmare to stop.

markymarc
09-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Here would be my top 5 list:

1. Drew Brees - IMO he is the best QB out there right now.
2. Peyton Manning - Peyton is a very good QB and has proven it year in and year out.
3. Big Ben - This guy will not put up the fantasy numbers like others, but the bottom line is he wins and at the QB spot that's all that matters.
4. Tom Brady - Tom is a good QB, but I want to see what he can do when he doesn't know what the opposing defense is doing.
5. Donovan McNabb - I think Donovan is a very good QB.

What I would love to see is how any other NFL QB could perform behind our very bad OL the way Ben does every single year.

Gnutella
09-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Well according to many non-Steeler fans, other QBs would do better behind our O-line because they can all read defenses in two seconds. :laughing:

OneForTheToe
09-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Good first post! :applaudit::drink:

1. Tom Brady (gags me to put him at #1 but unfortunately, he is a TD tossing machine).

2. Peyton Manning

3. Big Ben

4. Drew Brees

5. Kurt Warner

I agree with this except I might flip Brees and Warner.

verks36
09-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Here is my list

1. Manning
2.Brady
3. Brees
4. Big ben
5. McNabb

ricksteelers55
09-14-2009, 04:41 AM
here is my list

1-Peyton
2-Big Ben
3-Brees
4-Warner
5-Rivers

We all saw the real side of Brady in 2007 when his best WR was Jabar Gaffney...so in order to be good he has to have good weapons.

Also maybe im wrong but I think after all those years with his system Brady still wear the QB Wristband

SC Gamecokk
09-14-2009, 07:44 AM

standing :applaudit: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steel Head
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I like Drew Brees and all but he's never won an important game in his whole career

My top 5:

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees

deminutah
09-14-2009, 02:30 PM

yep:thumbsup:

scsteeler
09-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Well according to many non-Steeler fans, other QBs would do better behind our O-line because they can all read defenses in two seconds. :laughing:

Tom Brady would not be in the Top 5 on any other team in the League. He is in a system that makes him much better than he really is but that being said he is a good QB and oh yes give him some illegal tape footage and damn he is really really great. :rofl::rofl:

KingmanIII
09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
The same goes for Romo. Romo, along with Eli Manning, are the most UNclutch QBs I can think of. I don't want either one running my offense if I have to score to win.
Eli? Unclutch?

G-aKfTK2LiM