PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu's loss stings, but Steelers can persevere

mesaSteeler
09-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Polamalu's loss stings, but Steelers can persevere
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/11/polamalus-loss-stings-but-steelers-can-persevere
Posted Sept. 11, 2009 @ 2:27 p.m.
By Mike Wilkening

Steelers SS Troy Polamalu is expected to miss several weeks after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in the first half of Pittsburgh's 13-10 OT win vs. Tennessee on Thursday night. Head coach Mike Tomlin disclosed the injury after Thursday's game, and though he indicated such an injury usually keeps a player out 3-6 weeks, he added that more tests on the knee would be conducted. Polamalu, regarded as the NFL's best player at his position, was hurt after the Steelers blocked a field goal. Before the injury, he notched six tackles and made a one-handed interception of a Kerry Collins pass. Tyrone Carter replaced Polamalu in the lineup and is expected to get the call when the Steelers host the Bears on Sept. 20.

The PFW spin

Polamalu is one of the NFL's more dynamic players, one of the few safeties consistently capable of altering the game. He has outstanding speed, and he has made significant strides in coverage. Carter, 33, is a hard hitter who lacks Polamalu's range, and the Carter-Ryan Clark safety tandem could be vulnerable against a team with a robust passing game.

This assumes, of course, that the opposing quarterback will have enough time to throw. And that's no guarantee against Pittsburgh.

Which brings us to contemplate the extent of Polamalu's absence on the Steelers' defense. It will undoubtedly weigh on Pittsburgh, and it will be readily apparent at times, particularly on some passing plays.

But the Steelers have fared well in Polamalu's absence before. In the eight career games he has missed, Pittsburgh has limited opponents to 10 points or less six times. In another instance, his absence coincided with other starters resting in the meaningless 2007 season finale vs. Baltimore, a game the Ravens won 27-21.

The other game Polamalu missed came in Week 14 of the 2007 season, when Patriots QB Tom Brady riddled the Pittsburgh secondary in a 34-13 Patriots victory. Surely you recall Steelers FS Anthony Smith's prediction of victory and his inability to back up his words.

Smith, of course, is no longer a Steeler, but Clark, who missed the New England debacle, too, is playing at a high level. And Carter knows the defense very well.

This isn't to say that the Steelers won't miss Polamalu if he's not in the lineup when Pittsburgh is slated to face quarterbacks like Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer and Philip Rivers and runners like Adrian Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson in the weeks to come. But there is more than enough talent to ensure the Pittsburgh defense's play won't regress to the point that it's a weakness.

The season has just begun! PFW's annual Kickoff Issue is on sale at PFWstore.com and at newsstands and bookstores across the country. Also, be sure to buy copies of the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo! Sports 2009 NFL preview magazine, as well as the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football Guide 2009, both of which are now available at bookstores, newsstands and retail outlets where magazines are sold. Or order your copies online at PFWStore.com.

Kal
09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Troy was a bit weird on Thursday, never good when a safety is called for 3 penalties (even though the late hit, if it was in bounds, would have been a great tutorial in players learning how to take the exact right angle to stop a play from going for more or allowing the running back to cut back inside)

Carter wasn't particularly bad, but he obviously has neither the range of explosiveness of Polamalu so it's a drop off. Fortunately the front 7 is good enough that they should make it easier, especially if Timmons comes back (though I was surprised how well Fox did in run support compared to Farrior). In fact looking at the schedule, the only game where the loss might be felt is Chicago because while the blitzs will generate a ton of pressure Cutler is up there with the best of them in his ability to avoid sacks and get rid of the ball. Combine that with being able to dump off the ball to Forte, and use two talented tight ends, and they may have a passing attack geared to take advantage of the Steelers zone blitzing.

Other than that Harrison could quite easily lead the league in sacks by the time you roll around to face the Ravens given the way he utterly destroyed Michael Roos (I've never seen Roos play as bad)

steeltheone
09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
we are lucky it is this early in the season!

stillers4me
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
we are lucky it is this early in the season!

We will need him more after the bye. That's when we get the Ravens twice,

Nobody can play at Troy's level, but if last year is any indicator about our backups, it seems that someone always steps up and makes the big play. Let's hope the trend continues.

Fire Haley
09-12-2009, 12:23 PM
With the way Troy flies around playing his position. I don't see him coming back close to 100% till late, late in the year.

Sorry for the black cloud, but he might not be be the same for the rest of the season after this injury

I'm still holding my breath on it's severity though and hoping for the best.

Psyychoward86
09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Carter did just fine last night. Assuming Troy is out for 6 weeks, the biggest threats to us are the Bears next week, and the Chargers. We can clean that up without Troy. We actually happen to have a talented defense, not just one dynamic player on that side of the ball.

GridironWarrior
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I see 2 losses w/out Troy, The Chargers cause Gates will eat us alive and the Vikings. Especially considering how poor the Oline is, those William boys are gonna have a field day along with Jared Allen.

fansince'76
09-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I see 2 losses w/out Troy, The Chargers cause Gates will eat us alive and the Vikings. Especially considering how poor the Oline is, those William boys are gonna have a field day along with Jared Allen.

Guess we should just forfeit those games now then. :coffee:

sherlock
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
He probably can`t fortell the future on the field like Troy can but I`m confident that Carter will not let the team down.:thumbsup:

AllD
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
#43 is a future HOFer. No doubt his play making ability will be missed. He kept the secondary from being exposed in tight siutations. He should be sat down and scoped if necessary so he is available for the playoffs.

SteelC7
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
at least its early and he didnt get hurt the 4th game of the season where he would miss alot more important games and the run to the playoffs, i say hell be back in 5 weeks or less

Kal
09-12-2009, 03:52 PM
It will be interesting to see if their is a dropoff in play of your corners. Generally speaking I was really impressed by William Gay last year, but he was pretty poor against the Titans ... I wonder if this is just one of those games or maybe a case where having Polamalu back there is much like a security blanket that allows the cornerbacks to play a little more freely and scares opposing QBs a little more because of his range

HometownGal
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

Gawd, sir - don't you EVER stop bitching and moaning? :coffee:

The Steelers have depth at just about every key position which is a huge bonus in situations like this. No - no one can really replace Troy or what he brings each and every week, but Carter has played in his stead in the past and hasn't fared all that badly. Troy and Tyrone are very close in the locker room and off the field and Carter studies Troy like a book - he's stated the same in several interviews I've watched.

How 'bout a little more of a positive 'tude, huh? Troy himself would kick you in the ass if he read that garbage.

X-Terminator
09-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Funny, because I remember the Steelers beating the Chargers twice last year, and in one of those games, Philip Rivers didn't even have 200 yards passing. And I also don't remember Antonio Gates "eating them up" either. And as far as the Vikings go, their front wall is stout, but their secondary isn't anywhere near as good as the Titans, and Ben carved them up. He can do the same to the Vikings. Plus, both of those games are at home.

I'll take the Steelers, thanks.

SC Steeler Steve
09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Guess we should just forfeit those games now then. :coffee:

Yeah really, I am not worried. Would I rather have Troy in there? Why hell yeah.
Can we win anyway? Why hell yeah.
Do I think we are going undefeated this season? Why hell NO.
Do I think we are going to win the Superbowl anyway? Why hell yeah. :tt:

GridironWarrior
09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't wait to see Peterson run past Carter like Garrad did in 07. 5-2 by the time the bye comes around. Vikings win in Pitt and Chargers do as well. I want the Steelers to win but don't see it happening w/out Troy.

fansince'76
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I can't wait to see Peterson run past Carter like Garrad did in 07.

Yeah, I'll bet you can't. :coffee:

X-Terminator
09-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I can't wait to see Peterson run past Carter like Garrad did in 07. 5-2 by the time the bye comes around. Vikings win in Pitt and Chargers do as well. I want the Steelers to win but don't see it happening w/out Troy.

Ah, so this is more of not having faith in Carter than anything else. I still do not understand why people are so down on him. He does a solid job when he's in the lineup. No, he's not Troy, but then again nobody is.

Peterson has to run past our front 7 before he even gets to Carter. Good luck with that. The Steelers shut him down before, they will do it again.

And the Chargers? OK, they are a very talented team and they certainly are capable of beating the Steelers, but with us being at home, I like our chances.

The defense is still very, very good without Troy. How about showing them some faith, huh?

Pi Kapp Steeler
09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
We kind of play better with our backs against the wall

Cheppy
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Gawd, sir - don't you EVER stop bitching and moaning? :coffee:

That's not becoming of someone who tries to pass themselves off as an objective moderator.

DVR'ed the game, spent an agonizing two days avoiding getting it spoiled for me, just watched it tonight. Troy getting hurt sucks but being a fan of the game for some years I know that 3-6 weeks isn't that long of a time in the grand scheme of things. And considering their schedule I actually can see the bright side of this.. When Troy comes back we know what we're going to get. In the meantime let's see what Mundy can do. And again, even with Troy out I 'll expect them to win every game bu if they went .500 in a 6 week span I woudn't panic at all.

I don't think the team would either.

X-Terminator
09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
It's not becoming of YOU to come back to this board after a long vacation and then attack a moderator.

GridironWarrior
09-13-2009, 12:03 AM
That's not becoming of someone who tries to pass themselves off as an objective moderator.

DVR'ed the game, spent an agonizing two days avoiding getting it spoiled for me, just watched it tonight. Troy getting hurt sucks but being a fan of the game for some years I know that 3-6 weeks isn't that long of a time in the grand scheme of things. And considering their schedule I actually can see the bright side of this.. When Troy comes back we know what we're going to get. In the meantime let's see what Mundy can do. And again, even with Troy out I 'll expect them to win every game bu if they went .500 in a 6 week span I woudn't panic at all.

Mundy will only come in the Dime package like he did on Thurs. Carter gets the nod at SS.

GridironWarrior
09-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Ah, so this is more of not having faith in Carter than anything else. I still do not understand why people are so down on him. He does a solid job when he's in the lineup. No, he's not Troy, but then again nobody is.

Peterson has to run past our front 7 before he even gets to Carter. Good luck with that. The Steelers shut him down before, they will do it again.

And the Chargers? OK, they are a very talented team and they certainly are capable of beating the Steelers, but with us being at home, I like our chances.

The defense is still very, very good without Troy. How about showing them some faith, huh?

They haven't played Peterson in the regular season yet. He wasn't in the NFL in 05 when they beat Minny in Minny. And if Johnson can get a 32 yarder on us I'm sure Peterson can. He's the best RB in the game.

SteelC7
09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
ya hes a hall of famer, definitely, if he retired rite now, he would get in, 5 pro bowls in 6 years, all pro selections, and 2 rings, i cant wait til he gets back on the field

Preacher
09-13-2009, 01:18 AM

What in the world does being objective in moderating and actually having an opinion about someone elses opinion of the team have to do with each other? ... or are you just ticked that its a woman that has an opinion? :hunch:

don't know, I am just trying to figure it out, because something's got your radiator clogged...

The Lakelander
09-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Rod Woodson was lost for the season in Game 1 once upon a time. The Steelers ended up in the Super Bowl.

Now don't get me wrong ... nobody is calling Rod Woodson Troy Polamalu :chuckle: ... but one can argue that Woodson was somewhat important to what his Steelers defense wanted to do on the football field back then.

And Carnell Lake wasn't Troy either. But Carnell had to play CB that season and a lesser Safety had to step in to handle Lake's duties. It was 2 D-backfield positions diminished slightly by one injury.

It sucks that this happened to Troy ... but they will rise to the occasion in ways we can't see right now.

X-Terminator
09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
They haven't played Peterson in the regular season yet. He wasn't in the NFL in 05 when they beat Minny in Minny. And if Johnson can get a 32 yarder on us I'm sure Peterson can. He's the best RB in the game.

You're right - I must have been thinking something else. Anyway, even IF Peterson gets a 32-yarder, so what? Does that automatically mean the Vikings are going to win the game???

Just admit it. You have zero faith in your team and in a defense that is still damn good without Troy. And if and when you are wrong...you can bet your last dollar that I will NEVER let you forget it. I still torture the dude who said in the Gameday thread last year that he was done with this team after the loss to the Giants.

Fire Haley
09-13-2009, 11:45 AM

What a steaming pantload.

I smell a Browns troll.

GridironWarrior
09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
You're right - I must have been thinking something else. Anyway, even IF Peterson gets a 32-yarder, so what? Does that automatically mean the Vikings are going to win the game???

Just admit it. You have zero faith in your team and in a defense that is still damn good without Troy. And if and when you are wrong...you can bet your last dollar that I will NEVER let you forget it. I still torture the dude who said in the Gameday thread last year that he was done with this team after the loss to the Giants.

No it doesn't mean they will win, but I'm sure it will help them. And I'm pretty sure unless they are suspended, that the Dline is gonna eat our Oline for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ben better use his check downs a lot more in this game. And if I'm wrong no biggie. I've been wrong before never bothers me.

Steelboy84
09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I think we'll be okay. Like Tomlin says, other people have to step up and we expect the same level of intensity.

Steel Head
09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
any word yet on who will start at safety?

I'd really like to see them move Clark to SS and start Ratliff at FS.

Tyrone Carter is pretty slow and a poor tackler

Galax Steeler
09-14-2009, 05:31 AM
What a steaming pantload.

I smell a Browns troll.

:toofunny:

Steelers & I
09-14-2009, 06:28 AM

Right on, and I'm actually looking foward to the Steelers defense facing off against Peterson and Favre. If you ask me, the Vikes are one of the few games on the Steelers schedule that I'll be truly cranked up for.