PDA

View Full Version : Titan gives Big "Win" Props.....

SteelerEmpire
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Quote....“That big [expletive] is tough as hell,” Titans defensive end Jevon Kearse(notes), who had one of the sacks, said as he walked off the field following Reed’s game-winner. “He just stays alive. He takes sacks, but he also buys time to find receivers.”........
Another Quote (after Ben got interviewed).... "After the interview, Ben got up slow, obviously banged up from the sacks and hits given to him by the Titans defense...."
I submit this: How much more pounding can our QB take before we lose him to an injury ?? How much more can the O-line let him, and Ben's holding on to the ball, keep getting punished by the biggest (combined with fastest) guys on the earth.... today's NFL defenders ??

steeltheone
09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Is what it is...We do need to start to rebuild the Oline with young talent. But it's hard drafting at 20 and below.

HometownGal
09-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Is what it is...We do need to start to rebuild the Oline with young talent. But it's hard drafting at 20 and below.

You're right, but that unfortunately is the price a team pays for getting into the playoffs and winning Super Bowls. :tt02: I have the utmost faith in Kevin Colbert and if the line doesn't get 'r done this season, he needs to seriously address the issues.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Personally I've heard enough of "Ben holds the ball too long" crap!

That statement is NEVER uttered if the o-line performs at a PRO level!

Watching them struggle against the Titans was sickening. Granted thier D-line is good but I lost count of how many times our lineman BARELY got a hand on anyone. This is the NFL and it is absolutely ridiculous that on almost every play thier is 1 sometimes 2 or 3 guys coming FREE!

Same goes for run blocking. Short yardage gains are impossible with guys who whiff on thier blocks. You guys watched the same game I did you know what I'm talking about.

McNabb "might" be the only other QB who could survive behind this "way below average" O-line. And thats doubtful given the mount of injuries hes had behind a good O-line!

Ben is fricken Superman, and great defense and all that aside, this team loses without that guy pulling magic out of his arse to compensate for a shitty O-line!

Fire Haley
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Imagine all the boo-hooing if the Steelers had lost.

slippy
09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
what game were you watching Hammer? i saw ben with 3 to 5 seconds on almost every attempt in the second half.

PisnNapalm
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
One of the sacks Ben took was definitely because he held the ball too long. Another sack was on a blitz where Kearse came in untouched.

Ben DOES hold the ball TOO LONG sometimes.

I thought the o-line did well in pass blocking but the run blocking was bad.

steel striker
09-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Everyone knows that Ben is always looking to make the big play down the field. It is a double edge sword. This is not the west cost offense here and, hope fully the oline will come together very soon. Now like it has been mentioned above here they need to run block better. Be honest here FWP did not hardly any holes to run through. A couple of runs he did gain good yards we had a holding call. Like Tomlin said in america's game sometimes the gun slinger get shot. We all know Ben will get up dust himself off make a play after that. I know alot of people think this is gonna to cut Ben's career short but, let's hope for a little better protection and more run blocking so FWP can get going.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
The time Ben had at the end of the 1st half and the time he had in the 2nd half came from two things.

1. The no huddle offense that kept the D-lineman from changing out and therefore becoming winded and tired.

2. The quick throws against the blitzes forced the Titans out of the blitz which is why in the 2nd half they were only rushing 4 sometimes only 3. Without the change to the quick throws the Titans blitz would have continued to get to Ben like they did in the 1st half.

Those 2 changes made the o-line "look" better.

I never said Ben doesn't hold the ball to make plays. BUT, if the O-line performed better ie. not whiffing on thier blocks the whole arguement of holding he ball too long wouldn't even be discussed. My problem is that too much blame goes to Ben "holding the ball too long" as the reason he takes so many sacks. If you trying to tell me that you don't see this O-line struggling to pass protect then there is nothing I can say to you because we are not watching the same game I guess.

They can't run block and they struggle to pass block. If you are going to tell me that this O-line is not as bad as I say then maybe you should try paying attention to when the opposing offense has the ball. The Steelers have the BEST defense in the league and yet the oppossing QB has much more time to throw the ball than Ben. Think about that for a minute. Did you see that statue Kerry Collins being rushed around as much as Ben?

RoethlisBURGHer
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
This offensive line needs fixed. Luckily Ben is one tough SOB and he will play through pain and make plays.

Oh, and Superman wears Ben Roethlisberger pajamas.

wootawnee
09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
The time Ben had at the end of the 1st half and the time he had in the 2nd half came from two things.

1. The no huddle offense that kept the D-lineman from changing out and therefore becoming winded and tired.

2. The quick throws against the blitzes forced the Titans out of the blitz which is why in the 2nd half they were only rushing 4 sometimes only 3. Without the change to the quick throws the Titans blitz would have continued to get to Ben like they did in the 1st half.

I never said Ben doesn't hold the ball to make plays. BUT, if the O-line performed better ie. not whiffing on thier blocks the whole arguement of holding he ball too long wouldn't even be discussed. My problem is that too much blame goes to Ben "holding the ball too long" as the reason he takes so many sacks. If you trying to tell me that you don't see this O-line struggling to pass protect then there is nothing I can say to you because we are not watching the same game I guess.

They can't run block and they struggle to pass block. If you are going to tell me that this O-line is not as bad as I say then maybe you should try paying attention to when the opposing offense has the ball. The Steelers have the BEST defense in the league and yet the oppossing QB has much more time to throw the ball than Ben. Think about that for a minute. Did you see that statue Kerry Collins being rushed around as much as Ben?

Dude you are so right......I have seen better run blocking in pop warner..................Faneca is a Hall of Famer..........

cubanstogie
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM

So who do we give the credit to for making the O line look better. OC, line coach, someone sure does. I would love to see an Arians hater stand up and give the guy credit for adapting and overcoming.

Steel_Bus_24
09-12-2009, 01:05 PM

I swear the Browns took Mack just to keep us weaker

steelpride12
09-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Its always good news that all Bens sack aren't the OL fault. 2 of the 4 sacks were Bens fault. But finding good OL and not paying an arm and a leg is tough thats why the Steelers are just trying to improve their line, not trade them all.

Sometimes i do worrying about Ben. I mean he is the toughest QB I know and got us two super bowls, but as he gets older each of these hits hurts more and more. Ben is gonna need protected in the long run at lease around the age of 30.

fansince'76
09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
what game were you watching Hammer? i saw ben with 3 to 5 seconds on almost every attempt in the second half.

Exactly, and IMO, it wasn't just the second half. Of the 4 sacks he took, 3 of them were on Ben as he held the ball forever, IMO. They can't give him 10 seconds every time. I am one of the more critical of the OL and I thought they did a poor job of run blocking Thursday night but I also thought they did a much better job of pass blocking against one of the superior defenses in the league.

fansince'76
09-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Dude you are so right......I have seen better run blocking in pop warner..................Faneca is a Hall of Famer..........

If we kept Faneca at $40 million over 5 years, you could've probably said goodbye to Harrison.

GridironWarrior
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I seriously wonder if Ben can read Defenses which is why he holds onto the ball so long. The one thing I don't like about Tomlin is that he never addressed the Oline or offensive coordinator positon. Or line coach.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I seriously wonder if Ben can read Defenses which is why he holds onto the ball so long. The one thing I don't like about Tomlin is that he never addressed the Oline or offensive coordinator positon. Or line coach.

Ben can read a defense. That's why he can utilize the pump fake so well. Just because you can read a defense doesn't mean your receivers won't run the wrong route, slip and fall, or end up covered.

Tomlin's decision isn't the final decision in the draft and free agent signings. We do have a general manager, and his decision is normally the final one most of the time. Tomlin can give his opinion, but in the end it is not his choice.

I honestly believe that we were going to draft Eric Wood or Alex Mack, but both of them were off the board when we picked at #32. So they decided to upgrade the defensive line (which does need upgraded, it's not a deficiency like the offensive line but it's much older) with the choice of Ziggy Hood.

SteelC7
09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
ill take a shaky o line and a super bowl win, but i dont want us to lose our franchise, tomlin is very stubborn, he refuses to get offensive lineman in the draft, and there were good ones available at no. 32 last year, we just passed them rite up, weve needed an o line since tomlin has been there but the earliest one hes picked was kraig urbik and hes not ready for anything

Steelerfreak58
09-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Guys that was one of the toughest Defenses in the league today and our O-Line while not opening up the run game well did a damn good job of slowing them down for the pass. The problem the first half was we set up Ben with 3rd and long situations too many times. Defenses revel in 3rd and long and good defenses are hard to stop in those situations.

The o-line will get better and honestly the games here on out (besides the Ravens) we play against some teams not known for defense.

HometownGal
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
One of the sacks Ben took was definitely because he held the ball too long. Another sack was on a blitz where Kearse came in untouched.

Ben DOES hold the ball TOO LONG sometimes.

I thought the o-line did well in pass blocking but the run blocking was bad.

I agree 100%. Though Ben tries to buy time until a receiver is open, sometimes it bites him in the hiney.

The OL played very well in pass block but shit the bed in run block.

VASteelerGuy
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
The oline will be fine...we played the Titans and frankly they are great. If we played the Lions it would have looked like a walk in the park.

Ben is Ben and I'm glad he holds the ball and makes play. If he gets hurt then Batch will cover the gap.

Run game is suspect but really the oline had their hands full because the Titans were stacking the line. Ultimately we punished them with the passing.

First game, hard team, we won despite some mistakes. I'll take it.:tt02:

gaysteelerfan
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
jevon kearse said that about Ben after the game. That's the best sign of respect. I'm just curious what the "expletive" was.

It couldn't be anything that starts with the "s" word as you really don't say respectable things after starting with the "s" word. I also don't think is the "a--h----" word; again, same reason. It could be son of a bitch but generally son of a bitch is not censored. It could also be "dumbf----" or just plain "f". I think just "f" works - but "df" wouldn't fit. Finally, I don't think its anything to do with sexuallity such as the "f-gg--t" word or "rooster" "lollipop". If that was said, this would be a backhanded complement.

Anyways, i guess by deduction, it was just the plain "f" word.

tony hipchest
09-12-2009, 09:21 PM
he dropped the N-bomb on him. :coffee:

Ravenssuck
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Is it true that Bill Cowher said "ME OR HIM" to Dan Rooney concerning Tom Donahue??
When "supposedly", the CHIN had wanted JEVON KEARSE BADLY at the draft, and
Donahue over-ruled him and picked TROY EDWARDS instead...

I have heard this rumor many times throughout the years but could never substantiate it.

Of course we all know that Donahue stepped down.

I just want to know if it was because of Bill Cowher???

And is it true about Bill Cowher having been over-ruled on "THE FREAK"?

steelerchad
09-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I think the offensive line needs alot of help. But I don't think the pass blocking was horrible this game. That game was nothing like the Eagles game last year where Ben had no time all game. He obviously had some time to go 33 of 43 for 363.

At least 2 of the sacks were on Ben, especially the one that was for a 20 yard loss that took us out of field goal range. I'm not crying about it, you have to take the good with the bad with Ben and there is far more good when he extends the play. Even though in hindsight I'd think he'd admit getting rid of the ball and taking the field goal was the right play in that situation.

Now he did get crunched on one of the sacks and 4 different guys could have had him as everyone got loose. But all in all, I can't complain about the pass blocking.

Run blocking on the other hand was and is disgusting. It was all of last year as well and I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon. No push whatsoever. We haven't been able to pick up 3rd and 1 for a couple years now. A big back might help, but honestly our line just doesn't push anyone back.

MasterOfPuppets
09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
You're right, but that unfortunately is the price a team pays for getting into the playoffs and winning Super Bowls. :tt02: I have the utmost faith in Kevin Colbert and if the line doesn't get 'r done this season, he needs to seriously address the issues. whats he gonna do ? cut all the players they just extended ...:hunch: ... i look for them to give colon a new 4 year 20 mill contract next year ... what the hell was the point in spending a first rd pick on a running back if your NOT going to invest in descent blockers ??? other than hartwig , EVERY lineman colbert has brought in has been sucky at best... at least in the system they are working in. i'm not so sure the blocking schemes in place aren't at least somewhat to blame.

HometownGal
09-13-2009, 08:16 AM
whats he gonna do ? cut all the players they just extended ...:hunch: ... i look for them to give colon a new 4 year 20 mill contract next year ... what the hell was the point in spending a first rd pick on a running back if your NOT going to invest in descent blockers ???

I don't know what he's going to do, MOP, but I do know that our $102 million QB can't continue to take the brutal pounding he has taken and be expected to play out the life of his contract.

other than hartwig , EVERY lineman colbert has brought in has been sucky at best... at least in the system they are working in. i'm not so sure the blocking schemes in place aren't at least somewhat to blame.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Hartwig, as I include him on the "sucky" list.

St33lersguy
09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
At least they accept defeat when they lose

SteelerFanInATL
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
This is my concern, why does he hold onto the ball. Is it the WR's not getting open, it it the O-Line not giving him enough protection? Also how many times did we see Ben pump fake to someone who was open then go deep. Coach Arrins said he is not going to change him, so the question is when will Ben learn when and when not to hold the ball?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Would it be better for ben to throw the ball quickly and throw ints...or throw it away and lose a down... Ben is Ben... He wins games....
Why are we even having this post? Ben wins and we still question him?

steelpride12
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Would it be better for ben to throw the ball quickly and throw ints...or throw it away and lose a down... Ben is Ben... He wins games....
Why are we even having this post? Ben wins and we still question him?

Ben could win 5 straight Super Bowls throw for 350 yards a game with 4 TD's and 0 INT and the trolls would still come out of the wood work. Trolls either want a perfect QB or they have to complain. Ben does the right things and with 15+ comeback wins in the 4th quarter and OT thats pretty damn good.