PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Running Game Needs Fixing

mesaSteeler
09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Steelers Running Game Needs Fixing
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/11/steelers-running-game-needs-fixing/
Posted Sep 11, 2009 2:31PM By Calvin Watkins (RSS feed)

PITTSBURGH -- Maybe it was just one game.

Maybe.

But the Steelers, a noted run-first offensive team, looked slow during a 13-10 overtime win to the Titans on Thursday night.

Last season, the Steelers finished with the 23rd best rushing attack in the game. Willie Parker (791 yards) and Rashard Mendenhall (58 yards) battled injuries and it left Mewelde Moore, a third down man, to carry things. Yet, it didn't stop them from winning the Super Bowl.

To return to the Super Bowl, or at least make a deep playoff run, the Steelers need to run the ball effectively.

Thursday night, the Steelers gained only 36 total rushing yards, three of which came from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. As a unit, the club averaged just 1.6 yards per carry. It forced the Steelers to become a passing team as evidenced by receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes gaining over 100 receiving yards.

The Titans stacked the line of scrimmage and rushed their safeties at the point of attack to burden the Steelers offensive line. Parker couldn't find any running lanes and Mendenhall didn't run with a burst. The offensive line is going through some issues as well with injuries and replacements.

Coach Mike Tomlin didn't use Parker or Mendenhall down the stretch, instead going with Moore and he wouldn't commit to going back to his normal starter if needed in the fourth quarter.

"That was one of our points," Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck said. "Don't let those backs get started. We did a great job of that. The defensive line got a good push and we filled where we needed to fill as linebackers."

Parker was the biggest disappointment. From 2005 to 2007, Parker rushed for 4,012 yards and the Steelers rushing attack didn't finish lower than 10th. In 2007, the Steelers had the third best running game in the league.

But last year, Parker broke his leg and Mendenhall's season really didn't emerge because he was hurt in late September.

In the preseason, Parker played in only one preseason game, battled a hamstring injury, which he said made him rusty going into the regular season. Parker needs a strong season because he's in the final year of his contract. Parker rushed 13 times for only 19 yards, with his longest run going for eight yards.

The Steelers want Mendenhall to become the future, that's why they made him a first round pick in 2008.

Yes, it's hard to run against eight and nine man fronts and even a quick and physical linebackers such as the Titans, but Parker has to get more yards. The offensive line must open holes.

"You don't point fingers," Parker said. "If you're going to point a finger, that's why I take most of the blame. I'd never say its the offensive line or anything. I'd say I just need to find a way to make us a better running team."

The Steelers will get the weekend off and wonder what just happened to them. Next week, the Steelers visit Chicago and its undetermined just how good this Bears defense will be.

We expect them to perform better than last year, and Sunday the Bears get a pretty good test in stopping the Packers Ryan Grant.

After what the Titans did to the Steelers you wonder if the Bears will get excited to see this Steelers running game.

"Of course, that's when you got to shut them up," Parker said. "You just got to do what you've done before. Next game, I'm sure you will see a better team."

tony hipchest
09-12-2009, 11:50 PM
being that theres going to be hundereds of articles talking about how the steelers run game sucks and the o-line needs fixing, perhaps we can keep them contained in one place.

i propose an official, stickied "our o-line and running game sucks/fire arians" thread.

:hunch:

the same shit is the same shit despite if its a different writer who writes it.

this has got to be the 10th article ive read on this board mentioning the same stats-

Thursday night, the Steelers gained only 36 total rushing yards, three of which came from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. As a unit, the club averaged just 1.6 yards per carry. It forced the Steelers to become a passing team as evidenced by receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes gaining over 100 receiving yards.

:banging:

sharkweek
09-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I kind of wish they'd throw the ball every down next game just to spite this deluge of BS. Heck, bring in Dixon as a reliever even to keep Ben fresh.

While I'm certainly kidding, something like that would definitely make teams think twice about trying to stack against the run.

SteelC7
09-13-2009, 12:41 AM
ya im sick of the "steelers run game and o line suck" while i agree rite now, im sick of hearing it, we get more scrutiny than ever before and we won the championship, hell maybe thats y we get so much crap thrown at us, hopefully it was rust and trying to get into the groove of the regular season, maybe next week will be better

AllD
09-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I kind of wish they'd throw the ball every down next game just to spite this deluge of BS. Heck, bring in Dixon as a reliever even to keep Ben fresh.

While I'm certainly kidding, something like that would definitely make teams think twice about trying to stack against the run.

Hard to bring in a relief QB when you are scratching all the way through OT just to win by 3.

AllD
09-13-2009, 09:27 AM
ya im sick of the "steelers run game and o line suck" while i agree rite now, im sick of hearing it, we get more scrutiny than ever before and we won the championship, hell maybe thats y we get so much crap thrown at us, hopefully it was rust and trying to get into the groove of the regular season, maybe next week will be better

Believers may say it is only one game, however it is a continuation from last season. Bring in the short pass to extend the running game as a hybrid. When defenses adjust to that, bring it back up the middle.

SteelerFanInATL
09-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Was it good defense, bad running or both? I think it was a combonation. Parker looked on a couple runs, I thought Mendenhall looked better. Just waiting for the day that we commit to RM and let him roll with it. Never have been sold on Parker. Too many times I have seen FWP hit the hole and it looks like he ran into a wall. Just my opinion.

MNIKEH
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I just wanna quit rooting for 3rd and 8 over 3rd and 1