PDA

View Full Version : With no-huddle, Steelers make it snappy

mesaSteeler
09-14-2009, 06:41 AM
With no-huddle, Steelers make it snappy
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/9-14-Steelers-no-huddle
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer

dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - With its running game stalled again Thursday, the Steelers spent a good portion of their season-opening 13-10 overtime win against Tennessee moving in reverse.

When the running game struggled - something that has occurred with regularity in recent seasons - the Steelers were forced to improvise.

Pittsburgh eventually settled on a three-receiver, one- running back, one-tight end set. From this no-huddle attack they were finally able to move the football.

The Steelers were also resourceful in stumbling upon a three-receivers, one-back, one-tight end set coupled with a no-huddle approach that produced results when the Steelers absolutely had to have them.

"It saved us," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "That package gives us an ability to stretch the whole field."

The Steelers used the no-huddle on five possessions, gaining 270 yards and scoring all 13 of their points. Their other eight possessions netted 87 yards and no points.

Could the Steelers finally become a no-huddle team, using wide receivers Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and rookie Mike Wallace or Limas Sweed in combination with tight end Heath Miller and running back Mewelde Moore?

"We have so many plays in the no-huddle it's not necessarily something teams could pick up on," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

It's certainly something that seems to be the team's go-to package. After winning the coin toss in overtime, the Steelers came out in their no-huddle offense, quickly driving for Jeff Reed's game-winning field goal.

"I thought we had them a little tired from that last drive, and I knew they'd gas pretty quickly. They started all-out blitzing because they couldn't get there with four," Arians said. "We picked those up and we made plays that we didn't make earlier in the game. I was really pleased with that."

Arians likes what Roethlisberger does with the no-huddle offense. The Steelers work on the no-huddle daily and Arians and Roethlisberger talk about what parts of it they'd like to run against a particular opponent.

"It's more of a walk through. We practice five plays on Friday, but we walk through them Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Arians said. "We have about 100 plays out of the no-huddle that he (Roethlisberger) can use. He does a good job of mixing it up."

The Steelers will still try run the ball rather than become a straight no-huddle team.

"I'd still like to try to run it a little bit," Arians said. "I'm hard-headed."

Still, the Steelers know that with the game on the line, they have the ability to go to their quick-strike offense.

"We just have to get a feel, get whatever we can get early in the game," Holmes said. "If it's not working for us we'll just go to our bread and butter, and (the no-huddle) seems to be our bread and butter right now and we're going to stick with it until they stop us."

X-Terminator
09-14-2009, 06:48 AM
How about trying a few running plays out of the no-huddle? You already have the defense tired and on their heels...why not? If defenses have to worry about the run AND pass, it could make it even more effective.

HometownGal
09-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I really like the no-huddle and would like to see it used as much as BA, Ben and the O feel they can utilize it to their advantage. :thumbsup: Confuse those opposing D's and tire 'em out like they did to the Titans which yielded only good results! :tt02:

Texasteel
09-14-2009, 07:12 AM
We are lucky enough to have a QB that can really utilize the no huddle offense. I too would like to see it more often. Maybe even start the first drive with it. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for the opponent defense.

mmalone
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
well since i always get spit on around here, ill try again.

is no huddle helping the execution of our offensive play?

or is it calling plays quicker and does it let ben read the D and call a better play quicker.

does ben not have 3 or 4 plays he can call
on each down.? in no huddle?

i think so...

but im sure you guys will let me know.

Fire Haley
09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
5 WIDE!!!

mmalone
09-14-2009, 09:42 AM
5 WIDE!!!

4 and 5 wide....

they would need to put McDonald in a jersey also...

he seems to catch well.

Fire Haley
09-14-2009, 10:01 AM
5 WIDE = shotgun, no-huddle, spread offense!

It's not a literal translation

mmalone
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
5 WIDE = shotgun, no-huddle, spread offense!

It's not a literal translation

they still need mcdonald suited up.

markymarc
09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
I would love nothing more than to see the no huddle a lot more on game days. I don't care what your defensive rank is because I have yet to witness a defense shut us down when running the no huddle. The only time it stalls is when we go back into the huddle.

Fire Haley
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
is no huddle helping the execution of our offensive play?

or is it calling plays quicker and does it let ben read the D and call a better play quicker.

Ben doesn't run a "hurry-up" no-huddle.

It's more of a ball-control no-huddle - he runs the play clock down under 5 seconds on just about every snap. He waits and waits for his reads.

It doesn't seem to be "running the offense quicker" either, so much as keeping defenses from substituting and getting their big fat guys on D running out of gas. Then Ben has all the time he needs to throw.

Texasteel
09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Ben doesn't run a "hurry-up" no-huddle.

It's more of a ball-control no-huddle - he runs the play clock down under 5 seconds on just about every snap. He waits and waits for his reads.

It doesn't seem to be "running the offense quicker" either, so much as keeping defenses from substituting and getting their big fat guys on D running out of gas. Then Ben has all the time he needs to throw.

Very good observation Killer. I think the main thing they are after is creating miss matches. The wrong guys, in the wrong place, for the wrong play.

AllD
09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
The other team's D is in its basic package when BB runs the no-huddle. It reminds me of when Bradshaw used to call his own plays. It will work until BB has a bad game. Then everybody needs to remain calm. It also helps the we have the best receiver set since Swann and Stallworth.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I would love to see more of the no huddle. We seem to move the ball very well when we do this. Even like Exterminator said we could throw a run play in there every know and then to mix it up. It couldn't hurt to try.

mmalone
09-15-2009, 04:31 AM
I would love to see more of the no huddle. We seem to move the ball very well when we do this. Even like Exterminator said we could throw a run play in there every know and then to mix it up. It couldn't hurt to try.

From the Bettis Article:

this fits here:

Willie Parker: I haven't seen much from him. Rashard Mendenhall: I haven't really seen him, period. One thing I have seen is Mewelde Moore making plays. And I think the little guy's going to get more of those opportunities as the Steelers continue to grow into what I think will be more of a passing team in 2009.

sharkweek
09-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Another plus side to the no-huddle is that it does have something of a momentum factor. When they're moving the ball and everything is just clicking, it gives everyone on the offense a lot of confidence, and the no huddle does help keep that tempo going.

LambertLunatic
09-15-2009, 06:04 AM
We are lucky enough to have a QB that can really utilize the no huddle offense. I too would like to see it more often. Maybe even start the first drive with it. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for the opponent defense.

I don't know how effective the no huddle would be early in a game, when defenses are fresh.

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 06:19 AM
I don't know how effective the no huddle would be early in a game, when defenses are fresh.

I think it could be very effective as opposing teams wouldn't be able to insert their sub packages as easily.

steelax04
09-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Would it be such a bad thing to be a no-huddle pass-first team? I know, totally anti-Steelers smack you in the mouth and kick you in the groin football, but the offense did a heck of a job with it on Thursday. Maybe even a first drive no-huddle to get the defense on their heels right away. Now that the Steelers have a elite veteran QB with the capabilities to run the no-huddle, why not embrace it?

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Now that the Steelers have a elite veteran QB with the capabilities to run the no-huddle, why not embrace it?

Because a generation of Steelers fans grew up watching the Bus.
Old habits die hard.

"Smash mouth football, baby, Pittsburgh style"

But their is/was only one "Bus", he was one of a kind.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIpHtpVor24&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIpHtpVor24&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Lakelander
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
they still need mcdonald suited up.

Not at all.

Hines ... Santonio ... Heath ... Wallace ... and Moore (motioned outside or lined up in the slot with Ben in the empty set) = 5 wide.

SteelMember
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Not at all.

Hines ... Santonio ... Heath ... Wallace ... and Moore (motioned outside or lined up in the slot with Ben in the empty set) = 5 wide.

:huh: What?

No Sweeeeeed! :hunch:

Blasphemy.

:chuckle:

CPanther95
09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Old habits die hard.

God, I feel old now. I consider The Bus one of the "new generation" Steelers.

Thanks.

Steelers Since '75
09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
God, I feel old now. I consider The Bus one of the "new generation" Steelers.

Thanks.

Yeah well I know I am old because I remember cheering for Franco Harris and wearing his jersey when I was 5 years old... I was wearing Bettis' jersey when I was 25 years old... wonder who's jersey I'll be wearing when I'm 45 years old :chuckle:

By the way I loved the montage for Bettis... one thing I found strange was on a lot of those runs there were these open lanes for him to run through... must be old style Steelers football where the o-line opens holes in the line :coffee:

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Wait...I thought Ben called all his own plays, plays that HE made up and conceived, in the no-huddle, and THAT'S why it worked...Ben = plays that work BA = plays that don't and only a few special geniuses on THIS board know the truth about that, and definitely NOT the Steelers organization and coaches...

steelreserve
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
If it works, why NOT use it?

I should also remind everyone that simply by using a no-huddle offense, you're not limited to shotgun passing plays only. Hell, we could even try it in packages with 2 WRs and a fullback if we wanted to. Miller and Moore are good enough receivers to make that work.

I suspect this will be rendered a moot point by Week 4 or so, because not every defense is the Titans and we'll probably have some success running the ball in a regular offense by then as well.

4xSBChamps
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Old habits die hard.

"Smash mouth football, baby, Pittsburgh style"

But their is/was only one "Bus", he was one of a kind.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIpHtpVor24&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIpHtpVor24&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

to have a TRUE 'smash-mouth' running game, you need a back in the mould of Csonka, Campbell, or Bettis, capable of bouncing-off today's 300-pound linemen, brushing-aside the 260-pound LB, and flattening the 220 DB, but with current college teams emulating the Pro game (pass-n-tab / girlie-man football), these type players are becoming TE instead of FB, who are usually relegated to blocking for a scat-back:
only the big-kid for the Giants (Jacobs?) fits the bill, and I enjoy watching him give as-good-as he takes when he has the ball.

:chuckle:

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Smashmouth is dead.

We got Ben and Holmes now. Stretch the field and make them pay.

This ain't no dink n' dunk.

4 no-huddle drives of four 20yd passes each resulting in a TD each time = 28 pt halftime lead.

Then you can slam Willie up the gut all you want.

Like that.

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Wait...I thought Ben called all his own plays, plays that HE made up and conceived, in the no-huddle, and THAT'S why it worked...Ben = plays that work BA = plays that don't and only a few special geniuses on THIS board know the truth about that, and definitely NOT the Steelers organization and coaches...

It's true! Look at the winning play in the Super Bowl: "scramble left, scramble right until somebody gets open." :chuckle:

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
It's true! Look at the winning play in the Super Bowl: "scramble left, scramble right until somebody gets open." :chuckle:

Ben drew that up in the dirt, and, because he's an uber genius, that play worked MUCH better than the plays BA spent a lifetime learning and hundreds of hours in the weeks leading up the super bowl studying...mmalone said so, and he and a couple others are privy to the inner circle of enlightenment...

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
The play that won the SB. Keep that one.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/08/28/sports/snag_update.gif

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Is that the actual rendering from Ben, the one he drew up in the field turf before the play? He has very nice handwriting, and draws very smooth and straight lines...I bet BA draws all nappy and yucky, because he's so stooopid...

Steel Mountain
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Smashmouth is dead.

We got Ben and Holmes now. Stretch the field and make them pay.

This ain't no dink n' dunk.

4 no-huddle drives of four 20yd passes each resulting in a TD each time = 28 pt halftime lead.

Then you can slam Willie up the gut all you want.

Like that.

You are oh so right...yet oh so wrong! Given what we have...you are correct. Imagine if we stumbled upon another Bus? No matter who it is....perhaps Redman, Tank??? I do not know. Bettis was a gift to us from the Rams. If and I do mean if...we found another Bus right now!....we would be unbeatable. With our stellar QB, Defense, Wide outs and coaching? You gotta be kidding me. This team would be SICK with an Adrian Peterson. I only hope that the Tank can ever hope to be a shadow of my man Da Bus!!!! That video gave me chills enough that I just ordered a Bettis jersey!

Preacher
09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=660036#post660036)
I think it could be very effective as opposing teams wouldn't be able to insert their sub packages as easily.

Not to mention when we are playing against a 3-4 where the D line has be responsible for 2 gaps each most of the time... (DE's responsible for the RB coming up between him and the OLB).

Yeah, I think it may tire them out quickly... It could really help our run game too.

HometownGal
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

:toofunny::laughing::toofunny:

If some of the genius mentality on this board wasn't so damned funny, it would be sad. :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
09-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Here in Oklahoma.... the OU Sooners broke the record for most points scored in a single season in college last year..... all done "exclusively " via the no huddle offense. Its simple mathematics..... your not wasting time off the clock in huddles AND your running 2 or 3 times more offensive plays as your opponent.... therefore.... you will score more points......

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I only hope that the Tank can ever hope to be a shadow of my man Da Bus!!!!

That's what people fail to understand - he broke the mold. He was unique.

SteelerNation Proverbs 1.0 - No matter how hard ye yinzers try, no palooka fatback will ever replace The Bus. Yea verily, ye must deal with it.

signed - God.