PDA

View Full Version : UP NEXT FOR BEARS VS. STEELERS

mesaSteeler
09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
chicagotribune.com
UP NEXT FOR BEARS VS. STEELERS, 3:15 P.M. SUNDAY, WBBM-CH. 2
Up next for Chicago Bears: Pittsburgh Steelers

September 14, 2009
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-14-bears-next-sep14,0,6497649,print.story

QUICK LOOK: It's rarely a good time to play the defending Super Bowl champions, but the Bears might have caught a break by drawing the Steelers in Week 2. It appears they will catch the Steelers without safety Troy Polamalu, their best player.

The Steelers should give an official word on Polamalu on Monday, but the early word was he is expected to be out at least three weeks with a sprained knee.

The drop-off to 5-foot-9-inch Tyrone Carter is a significant one, and the Bears may try to exploit Carter with passes to tight ends Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark.

The Steelers struggled in the run game in their opener against the Titans, and it did not sit well with them. Look for them to rededicate to the run at Soldier Field. That could mean a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall, as well as Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore.

KEY STAT: Ben Roethlisberger threw for 363 yards in the opener, the third-highest passing total of his career.

KEY MATCHUP: Steelers wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward each had more than 100 yards in their opening game. They will provide a stiff challenge for Bears cornerbacks, as both are crafty in terms of getting open and both are dangerous after the catch. The Bears will need Charles Tillman and Zack Bowman healthy and clicking.

EARLY PICK: Bears 20, Steelers 17.

stillers4me
09-14-2009, 08:27 AM
The Steelers struggled in the run game in their opener against the Titans, and it did not sit well with them. Look for them to rededicate to the run at Soldier Field. That could mean a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall, as well as Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/sign07.gif

Franco32Harris
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
I would love to see Mendenhall get a bunch of carries.

steelpride12
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
And Bears are down two linebackers.
One report is Urlacher needs wrist surgery.

Sharkissle29
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
i have faith in mendy and wished he got a few more chances in the first game. i really think he will have a productive season

Indo
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I know it's only the 2nd game, but isn't it about time for Logan to take one to da house?

:tt03:

Burghfan58
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
The Bears run D looked pretty stoudt against GB last night. That being said I read Urlacher had surgery this morning on his wrist so he will definitly be out. Their outside backer Tinoisamoa may also be out with a dinged up knee. He is having an MRI today. Maybe this will level the playing field a bit.

Fire Haley
09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Look for them to rededicate to the run at Soldier Field. That could mean a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall, as well as Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

The way the Pack was ripping apart the Bears weak secondary from the shotgun, no-huddle spread offense without any speed burner WR's means Holmes will have a field day.

5 WIDE!

Fire Haley
09-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Brian Urlacher likely out for the season with wrist injury

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/09/brian-urlacher-out-for-the-season-with-wrist-injury.html

stillers4me
09-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I read Urlacher had surgery this morning on his wrist so he will definitly be out. Their outside backer Tinoisamoa may also be out with a dinged up knee. He is having an MRI today. Maybe this will level the playing field a bit.

You're kidding, right? Level the playing field?

They are going to miss Urlacher next week a whole lot more than we will miss Troy. We don't have backups. We have "starters in waiting", remember? :coffee:

SteelMember
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
[/B]

They are going to miss Urlacher next week a whole lot more than we will miss Troy. We don't have backups. We have "starters in waiting", remember? :coffee:

Troy to our scheme means waaaay more than Urlacher to theirs.

Mags87
09-14-2009, 11:34 AM

in my heart i do believe that LeBeau draws up plays with a 10 man defense and then tells Troy to do what he wants out there. so in a way, we're just lettin our DC play with one more man on the defense :tt02:

zsheik22
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Way more? Not even close.

Anyone in this country can name players from the steelers defense, most people only know Urlacher from the bears. Polamalu is a big part of everything, especially in blitz schemes etc, but we still got other pro bowlers out there... Ya'know, guys like James Harrison, Smith, Farrior, Big snack....

SteelMember
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Way more? Not even close.

Anyone in this country can name players from the steelers defense, most people only know Urlacher from the bears. Polamalu is a big part of everything, especially in blitz schemes etc, but we still got other pro bowlers out there... Ya'know, guys like James Harrison, Smith, Farrior, Big snack....

I think you misunderstood the post.

It basically said, "Troy means more to us". :thumbsup:

steelpride12
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I think you misunderstood the post.

It basicly said, "Troy means more to us". :thumbsup:

In the past our record without Troy is 6-2. Our defense has been in this situation before and Carter is a veteran who has worked with this defense for seasons and steps in just fine.

Shellshock
09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
We will be hearing Colon's name called often and not in a good way. There is no way he will be able to stop that DE.

SteelMember
09-14-2009, 11:50 AM
In the past our record without Troy is 6-2. Our defense has been in this situation before and Carter is a veteran who has worked with this defense for seasons and steps in just fine.

Understood.

But you must realize Troy is a leader out on the field. He can't have the same impact being a cheerleader on the sideline.

and for the record, I know we can still win, but Carter would be a backup anywhere. :wink02:

steelpride12
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Understood.

But you must realize Troy is a leader out on the field. He can't have the same impact being a cheerleader on the sideline.

and for the record, I know we can still win, but Carter would be a backup anywhere. :wink02:

Lets just accept the fact that Cutler has NO good wide receivers on that team so we don't need to worry about getting burnt deep too often. :tt03:

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Bears players were dropping like flies against Green Bay.. Imagine what happens when our D shows up? Yeah, Troy's out, but I am sure we can handle them fine...

Oh I can't wait..

SteelMember
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Lets just accept the fact that Cutler has NO good wide receivers on that team so we don't need to worry about getting burnt deep too often. :tt03:

Agreed.

If he's on his back...he can't throw. :chuckle:

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Let Cutler throw some of those, directly to Harrison!

steelpride12
09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Agreed.

If he's on his back...he can't throw. :chuckle:

Well we will pressure him, but let him throw. 4 INT's looks good in the stat book. :chuckle:

Burghfan58
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
[/B]

I meant against our O-Line.

zsheik22
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I remember a few years ago when the bears were supposed to be one of the best the NFL had to offer.

it was a chilly and snowy day at heinz field and the bears got absolutely mauled by the steelers. Watching Bettis run Urlacher over after he had been talking all that trash really highlighted just how bad it was. It was such a magical day for football and I was so happy that I picked that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1TSaKmG2o

SteelC7
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
we may be down troy, but theyre down their best linebacker, brian urlacher is out for the season, and jay cutler threw four interceptions yesterday against the packers, our defense is way better

SteelTalons
09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Look for them to rededicate to the run at Soldier Field. That could mean a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall, as well as Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

The way the Pack was ripping apart the Bears weak secondary from the shotgun, no-huddle spread offense without any speed burner WR's means Holmes will have a field day.

5 WIDE!

Exactly, tryna run it down their throat would be pointless unless the weather is gonna be bad. Air that thing out and take advantage of Cutler's turnover on defense.

AllD
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Whoever made this bold prediction even with all their starters as healthy, needs to be drug tested. No way, no how, not gonna happen. Bears will be lucky to score 1 TD. Black and Gold by 12.

fansince'76
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Whoever made this bold prediction even with all their starters as healthy, needs to be drug tested.

chicagotribune.com - homer pick.

HometownGal
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
No way in bloody blue hell do da Bears put up 20 points on our D. If our D even breathes in Cutler's direction, he'll fold like a cheap suit and make mistakes as he did last night against the Pack's D. On the O front, we need to take advantage of Urlacher being out of the lineup - pound the day early and often and let our passing O finish 'em off. I see a huge day for Ben, Santo and Hines with a hefty helping of Heath thrown in. :applaudit::tt02::tt03:

Steel_Bus_24
09-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Expect their A game....the media will poke and prod them into a Frenzy for sundays game

UF-Steeler
09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Ya, that prediction really cracks me up. Our Team has had longer than a week to scheme and get ready for this game. If the run is consistently called, I believe that the Steelers will be able to get the run started and open up some plays down the field (Green Bay eventually did that even without a running game.)

Not to mention Cutler's poor performance. The kid just looked uncomfortable and confused against Green Bay's new 3-4 scheme. I have a hard time seeing him do well against one of the best defenses in football.

Thank God football is back! :tt02: