PDA

View Full Version : the "9-1-1" year??

3 to be 4
01-17-2006, 09:15 PM
an otherwise decent article kind of shows the intellect of Porter. the "9-1-1 year".
Oh, You mean 2001?? and the refs beat the Steelers on that day?
couldnt be that they blew big chunks themselves.

The Steelers were incensed by the call.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06016/638726.stm

"The world wanted Indy to win so bad, they were going to do whatever they had to do, man," Porter claimed. "It was like the 9-1-1 year, when they wanted the [New England] Patriots to win it for the world ... At a point, I didn't think the refs were going to let us get out of here with a victory."

Koopa
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
hmmmm.....well i thought the same, and i still feel that way too, it was ya'lls tuck rule year too. it's funny how two of the three superbowls have a storyline, first 9-11 and then ya'll miss the playoffs then we declare war with iraq and ya'll win it all over again.

tony hipchest
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
an otherwise decent article kind of shows the intellect of Porter. the "9-1-1 year".
Oh, You mean 2001?? and the refs beat the Steelers on that day?
couldnt be that they blew big chunks themselves.

The Steelers were incensed by the call.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06016/638726.stm

"The world wanted Indy to win so bad, they were going to do whatever they had to do, man," Porter claimed. "It was like the 9-1-1 year, when they wanted the [New England] Patriots to win it for the world ... At a point, I didn't think the refs were going to let us get out of here with a victory."porter just said what alot of people think. dont crucify him

3 to be 4
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
who crucified him? just poked fun at him calling it the 9-1-1 year. and blaming losing the AFC Championship Game on the Refs, like it was refs that blocked the FG attempt, or it was the refs that caused the Steelers special teams overall to play like crap. And it was the refs that made Kordell stink or make the running game ineffective.
who cares HOW the Patriots got to the game. If they were such a fluke team y'all should have kicked their butts.
I will say that overall this Steeler teams seems to have a lot more class than the 2001 bunch. Just having Roethlisburger around instead of im-going-to-visit-mamma-in-New Orleans-Kordell is a big plus.

3 to be 4
01-17-2006, 10:17 PM
hmmmm.....well i thought the same, and i still feel that way too, it was ya'lls tuck rule year too. it's funny how two of the three superbowls have a storyline, first 9-11 and then ya'll miss the playoffs then we declare war with iraq and ya'll win it all over again.

hey, we invaded Iraq on my birthday, so if anything, those fireworks were more a celebration for me than anything involving the Patriots.:bouncy:

SteelerDan43
01-17-2006, 10:33 PM
who crucified him? just poked fun at him calling it the 9-1-1 year. and blaming losing the AFC Championship Game on the Refs, like it was refs that blocked the FG attempt, or it was the refs that caused the Steelers special teams overall to play like crap. And it was the refs that made Kordell stink or make the running game ineffective.
who cares HOW the Patriots got to the game. If they were such a fluke team y'all should have kicked their butts.
I will say that overall this Steeler teams seems to have a lot more class than the 2001 bunch. Just having Roethlisburger around instead of im-going-to-visit-mamma-in-New Orleans-Kordell is a big plus.

Well I do remember a certain bogus ineligable call on a return...

Livinginthe past
01-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Porter talks a load of bull 99% of time - he is like a blind man throwing knives - sooner or later he's going to hit something - just so happens this year he is on the money.

NM

3 to be 4
01-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Well I do remember a certain bogus ineligable call on a return...

the refs must have wanted the Steelers to win in 1979 when they called Barbers TD out of bounds then.:bouncy:

tony hipchest
01-18-2006, 08:46 AM
troy browns muffed punt on saturday?.... i havent seen replays but did the ball hit the ground before he got hit? ike taylor hit someone on a monday night game when the receiver called for a fair catch and the ball bounced atleast a yard off of him and the steelers recovered. they took it away from the steelers and said a returner still has that halo and opportunity to catch the ball unimpeded even if he muffs it. i think only certain rules are enforced against the steelers. some think the pats shouldve gotten that ball back. thoughts?

Livinginthe past
01-18-2006, 10:47 AM
troy browns muffed punt on saturday?.... i havent seen replays but did the ball hit the ground before he got hit? ike taylor hit someone on a monday night game when the receiver called for a fair catch and the ball bounced atleast a yard off of him and the steelers recovered. they took it away from the steelers and said a returner still has that halo and opportunity to catch the ball unimpeded even if he muffs it. i think only certain rules are enforced against the steelers. some think the pats shouldve gotten that ball back. thoughts?

The punt return play was a very tough one to call - I think on the balance they got the call right.

The game was a horrible combination of bad play in the clutch and bad officiating to rub salt in the wound.

The weird thing was it was our Mr Reliables that done all the damage - Faulk on the fumble, Troy Brown on the muffed punt return, Brady on the endzone INT - just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Ive watched the game again - the fumble by Faulk coupled with the P.I call on samuel totally reversed the momentum of that game - the pats were marching in the 2 mins drill - the score could well have been 10-0 Pats at the half instead of 10-3 Denver.

NM

Milkman
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM

I always thought there was a strange coincidence with the whole 911 thing.

But it's old news and I try not to think about it. The Pats had a helluva run the past 4 years though.

3 to be 4
01-18-2006, 05:20 PM

well the Patriots didnt exactly get a lot of help on Saturday. that interferance call on Samuel was ridiculous, not as bad as the non-call against the Colts or the Polamulo interception. both road teams got screwed badly. but give the Steelers credit for overcoming it all.
but thats not why the Patriots lost. they lost because they forgot about fundementals in big games, like not turning the ball over. it was reminisent of the Cowboys giving the 49ers a 21-0 lead on TO's in the 1994 NFC title game.
the Patriots got a very big lesson on saturday and they will load up and be back for another contending year next year.