View Full Version : LB Timmons looks to return for Steelers

mesaSteeler
09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
LB Timmons looks to return for Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_643125.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lawrence Timmons didn't practice Monday, but the starting inside linebacker is hopeful he will be able to suit up Sunday, when the Steelers visit the Chicago Bears for a 4:15 p.m. game. Timmons didn't play last Thursday against the Tennessee Titans because of a sprained left ankle.

"Just taking it day by day," Timmons said.

He said he doesn't know if he will practice Wednesday.

The Steelers don't practice today during the season when they have a game Sunday.

Timmons had hoped to make his first start at right inside linebacker last week. Keyaron Fox played in place of him and recorded a team-high 10 tackles while also recovering a fumble.

"That hurt," Timmons said of missing the opener, "but there's not much I could do about it."

Heath Miller led all NFL tight ends with eight receptions heading into last night, and while appreciative of the opportunities in the passing game, Miller said he doesn't want them to come at the expense of the running game.

"It's nice to be able to contribute, but at the same time, we know we're a better offense if some of those pass attempts are hand-offs to Willie (Parker) or Rashard (Mendenhall)," Miller said. "We've really to get on track this week."

The eight catches Miller had in a 13-10 overtime win over Tennessee tied his career high in that category. The fifth-year veteran helped quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw for 363 yards the third-highest total in his career.

"We're going to go with what's working, but we'd really like to get that running game going," Miller said. "You're not going to go through a year and win football games if you can't run the football."

The Steelers managed just 36 rushing yards against the Titans.

Wide receiver Hines Ward may have coined a new phrase when he talked about his lost fumble late in the fourth quarter against the Titans. Tennessee safety Michael Griffin knocked the ball loose while tackling Ward from behind just short of the end zone.

"He Donkey Konged it out," Ward said in reference to the video game. "He hammered it."

After watching the play during a film review, Ward said, "It's a learning experience not only for me, but other guys as well, in case we ever get in that situation again. I should have just got down, but I don't fault myself for trying to get in. If that guy wasn't there, I walk in (to the end zone), but he just made a great play on the ball."

Troy Polamalu and boastful appear in the same sentence about as often as coach Mike Tomlin and bad hair day. Naturally, the Steelers' strong safety shrugged off the one-handed, first-quarter interception he made against the Titans.

"Lucky things happen, you know," he said. "Sometimes, things just fall in your lap."

Polamalu left the game in the second quarter with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee and didn't return.

The Steelers win over the Titans will be replayed on NFL Network at 9:30 tonight. It will be shortened to a 90-minute version.

DIGITS

76 Rushing yards the Bears, whom the Steelers play this week, yielded to the Packers last Sunday night.

7:50 The edge the Steelers had in time of possession against the Titans, even though they weren't able to establish a running game.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Steeldude
09-15-2009, 01:27 AM
It's a learning experience not only for me...

shouldn't he already know to over-protect the ball in a situation like that? oh well, at least the steelers still own the game :thumbsup:

Preacher
09-15-2009, 02:54 AM
7:50 The edge the Steelers had in time of possession against the Titans, even though they weren't able to establish a running game.

Amazing how many people have overlooked this fact. Heck, take out the first quarter, the TOP is even more stunning.

Fact of the matter is, we controlled the ball and the clock, and we did it through the air. Amazing.

Now if we can just get balanced, we'd be unstoppable.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2009, 04:43 AM
I hope Timmons is ready to play come Sunday. I want to see what our linebackers can do to Cutler. They should have a pretty good day against him.

steelpride12
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I hope he can play Sunday. He will bring that added Power and speed to our line backing core.

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 01:07 PM
If he doesn't practice by Thursday, he won't play, that's usually the routine.

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
If he doesn't practice by Thursday, he won't play, that's usually the routine.

He's a bust anyway...

Now the question becomes, who will trade us for Fox, because now that HE'S a stud we'll NEVER be able to afford to keep him...

Fire Haley
09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Did you forget to put the stupid sign around your neck again?

Stop scaring the FNG's.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I hope if he plays, he's healthy enough and doesn't rush himself back.

mesaSteeler
09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_643241.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Injured Steelers linebacker Timmons close to returning

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Steelers will be without All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu (knee) this Sunday when they play the Bears in Chicago but they could get inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons back from an ankle injury.

Timmons didn't play in the Steelers' 13-10 win over the Tennessee Titans last Thursday because of a sprained ankle.

Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference today that Timmons will try to practice this week with an eye toward playing in the 4:15 p.m. game Sunday.

"We're hopeful that he's capable of getting some work," Tomlin said.

Polamalu, who sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee against the Titans, has been declared out for Sunday. But Tomlin said the initial prognosis in regard to Polamalu's injury didn't change, which means the five-time Pro Bowler will not need surgery.

"It's really a week to week thing as we progress here," Tomlin said of Polamalu's status.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Will Lawrence Timmons play this week?

Ed Bouchette: I think he will, yes.

Keyaron Fox appeared to play fairly well in the opener. Will he play again this week, or is Timmons ready to return?

Ed Bouchette: I'm thinking Timmons in the nickel and Fox in the run downs. But if they judge Timmons to be all the way back, it would surprise me not at all to see him start AND play the nickel.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09258/998199-66.stm

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Never mind all that now

Steelers | Timmons apparently tweaks injury

Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:15:20 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Pittsburgh Steelers LB Lawrence Timmons (ankle) apparently tweaked his high ankle sprain during practice Wednesday, Sept. 16.

China doll

Edman
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
It's a HIGH ankle Sprain.

I don't know why people were expecting a miraculous recovery.

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Well - we tried to warn him this would happen.

Now it's gonna be another month.

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
.................................................. .................

markymarc
09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I was holding out hope Timmons would be ready for Sunday, but it definitely hurts him tweaking it in practice. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be a season long kind of injury. Get well Timmons!

markymarc
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
He's a bust anyway...

Now the question becomes, who will trade us for Fox, because now that HE'S a stud we'll NEVER be able to afford to keep him...

Okay revefsreleets I have to know. Are you being sarcastic or for real when talking about Timmons?

SteelMember
09-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Timmons OK, Sweed out

Lawrence Timmons went through a full practice yesterday, even though he "tweaked" his sprained left ankle in practice Wednesday. It remains unknown whether he will play and how much if he does.

Limas Sweed did not practice at all yesterday, and it's likely he will not play. He left practice Wednesday with a mid-foot sprain. Veteran receiver Shaun McDonald should dress in his place Sunday against the Bears.

First published on September 18, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09261/998914-66.stm#ixzz0RSWj4i2A

Fire Haley
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
After all the flip-flopping, this is great news if he really can play - we need his speed on defense.

Steel Head
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
After all the flip-flopping, this is great news if he really can play - we need his speed on defense.

great news indeed

it's also nice to have a veteran backup like McDonald to step in for Sweed

CPanther95
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
"Timmons OK"

"he "tweaked" his sprained left ankle in practice Wednesday. It remains unknown whether he will play"

:noidea: