PDA

View Full Version : Bettis' thoughts about our OL and running backs

T Bradshaw
09-15-2009, 02:53 AM
The Bus writes for S.I. now. Here is a link to what he says about the Steelers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what he wrote about the Steelers:

Quote:
2. Steelers' Super Bowl hopes took a big blow in Week 1. On Thursday night the Steelers went from being a great defense to merely a good defense in just one play against the Titans. You simply can't replace a player like Troy Polamalu, and we all saw the Steelers give up some big plays right away after he left with a knee injury. When he's healthy, Troy's all over the field. Before he left that game it seemed his name was being called every play: Troy on a tackle, Troy on an interception, Troy with a penalty. Whatever happened, he was involved. But without him in the game, the field becomes a lot bigger and more exposed.

People will say, "Well, they still have James Harrison and Casey Hampton and so on..." Irrelevant. Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker. Sure, James Harrison gets after the QB. But Troy is all over the field. He can change the outcome of a game in one play. Without him, this becomes a good defense with a very ordinary secondary.

Now, here's what worries me: I've had an MCL injury and the thing it affects the most is the lateral movement. Sure, you can run straight lines. But when you have to go left and right it becomes a problem. If you've ever watched Troy, you know he's so unpredictable in how he moves -- all over the place. An MCL could be a bigger problem for a guy who moves like that. I expect to see him out on the longer side of the projected three to six weeks. If it goes longer, could they win another Super Bowl without him? I don't think so.

3. One more reason Pittsburgh's in trouble: these Steelers are a mediocre running team on their best day. I don't think they've reached a panic situation quite yet because the Titans don't allow anyone to run the football on them. But there are serious problems.

Willie Parker: I haven't seen much from him. Rashard Mendenhall: I haven't really seen him, period. One thing I have seen is Mewelde Moore making plays. And I think the little guy's going to get more of those opportunities as the Steelers continue to grow into what I think will be more of a passing team in 2009.

The running back I like least on that team is Frank Summers, the rookie fullback. He doesn't seem to understand what's going on. He's missing plenty of blocks, and that's affecting everything. That definitely has to be addressed off the field this week.

The bigger problem, though, is the offensive line. They have no continuity. On top of not being able to protect Ben Roethlisberger, they're letting running backs get hit before they reach the line of scrimmage. There's not a lot any back can do in that situation.

This problem isn't anything new, and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it? Well, they won a Super Bowl. They won't be so lucky twice in a row. If Ben continues to get hit the way he did Thursday -- the same way he did last year, then this will come back to haunt the Steelers. Ben will get hurt. Ben will miss games. And they don't have a line to run behind without Ben. Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this.

Glace
09-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Wow...

As much as I love Bettis, I'm not inclined to predict doom after one game.

Tennessee IS a great run-stopping defense. They illustrated it many times of how they were filling the gaps and holes. It was a pretty thing to watch (as a defense-minded football fan, not a steeler fan)

Bottom line...we got the win. It was ugly, but we are 1-0, and the Titans are 0-1.

X-Terminator
09-15-2009, 04:03 AM
OK, I've just about had my fill of all of these negative articles. All of this after ONE FREAKING GAME that they WON! I mean, it's friggin Tuesday for crying out loud, and we're STILL hearing about this. The game was FIVE DAYS AGO! Will someone please tell these guys to move on already, rather than write the same regurgitated crap every day?

And I can't WAIT until the D proves all of these doubting Thomases wrong, thinking they're going to collapse without Troy in the lineup. They have too much talent, and they have a genius calling the shots. They'll be fine, so please...have some faith!

(Not ranting at you, T)

EDIT: If I were the Titans' D, I'd be pretty pissed about all of this too, because they are being given absolutely no credit for how good they really are. It's all about what the Steelers didn't do. If the shoe was on the other foot, Steelers fans would be up in arms.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
OK, I've just about had my fill of all of these negative articles. All of this after ONE FREAKING GAME that they WON! I mean, it's friggin Tuesday for crying out loud, and we're STILL hearing about this. The game was FIVE DAYS AGO! Will someone please tell these guys to move on already, rather than write the same regurgitated crap every day?

And I can't WAIT until the D proves all of these doubting Thomases wrong, thinking they're going to collapse without Troy in the lineup. They have too much talent, and they have a genius calling the shots. They'll be fine, so please...have some faith!

(Not ranting at you, T)

EDIT: If I were the Titans' D, I'd be pretty pissed about all of this too, because they are being given absolutely no credit for how good they really are. It's all about what the Steelers didn't do. If the shoe was on the other foot, Steelers fans would be up in arms.

I agree X-Terminator it is time to build a bridge and get over it. we need to be looking ahead to the next game.

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Steelers' Super Bowl hopes took a big blow in Week 1. On Thursday night the Steelers went from being a great defense to merely a good defense in just one play against the Titans. You simply can't replace a player like Troy Polamalu, and we all saw the Steelers give up some big plays right away after he left with a knee injury.

And it was quite obvious they were visibly shaken by Troy's injury right after it happened. But just ignore the fact that they did settle down and allowed all of 3 points the entire 2nd half.

People will say, "Well, they still have James Harrison and Casey Hampton and so on..." Irrelevant. Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker.

So, the DPOY last year is irrelevant, and isn't a "full playmaker?"

Look Jerome, I know you're consciously trying not to look like a homer here, but come on. :coffee:

It's going to be so sweet when all the naysayers are proven wrong. Again.

Texasteel
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
It could be that the only thing Jerome knows about a defense is how to run over them.

The_WARDen
09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
How DARE Bettis criticize the Oline! Doesn't he know they won a SB with that line??!!!

steelrush
09-15-2009, 08:39 AM
How DARE Bettis criticize the Oline! Doesn't he know they won a SB with that line??!!!

Whoa!
How does he dare? A "little" jumpy there, don't you think?:tap:
Anyway, he's merely pointing out a fact that is too visible. Or what? Would you rather have that nobody points negative facts out?
Yes, we've won a SB with that line. But I would rather say: we've won a SB with Ben. I wonder what it'll be said if this OL continues like it does and Ben goes down hurt with a season-ending injury?

Let's face it: we do have problems with our OL. But I like to believe that we're witnessing a OL in a building-up process. At one point this line will come...on line.:hatsoff:
The lack of a progressive and relible running-game is what's worrying me the most...

Steel Head
09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Whoa!
How does he dare? A "little" jumpy there, don't you think?:tap:

lol, he was obviously being sarcastic

NEPAsteeler
09-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Oh no! We couldn't run the ball effectively against one of the better defenses in the NFL! OMG!!! WE'RE TERRIBLE! :coffee:

But seriously, this negativity needs to friggin' stop.

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh no! We couldn't run the ball effectively against one of the better defenses in the NFL! OMG!!! WE'RE TERRIBLE! :coffee:

But seriously, this negativity needs to friggin' stop.

Especially considering the media favorites (Bolts and Cheats) both looked like ass last night against inferior competition....

The Lakelander
09-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Tell Bettis to STFU.

He won nothing with the Steelers ... NOTHING!

So he hasn't a clue what it takes to win a championship. He was mere bench fodder when the Steelers won in 2005. His fumble damn near cost us our Lombardi.

As for the Steelers not being a Super Bowl team, in 1995 the Steelers lost Rod Woodson for the season with an ACL, on the very first series of the season.

Woodson was arguably just as much an impact player as Troy, maybe even more so, because Woodson also returned kicks.

His CB position was even more critical to the Steelers defense. The Steelers had to degrade two (2) defensive positions to accomodate for Woodson's loss .... his CB spot (where Carnell Lake moved over from Safety) and the Safety spot that Carnell had to vacate. Two (2) defensive cover spots downdraded for one injury!

Yet they made the Super Bowl and may have won it had they had a real QB.

Troy is only out for a time. Unlike Woodson, he'll be back. And an 80% Troy is still better than 90% of NFL Safeties. But that assumes Troy won't be closer to 100%, which he very well could be. None of us really knows the extent of Troys situation and how well he can accomodate it.

Bettis has lost all credibility in my opinion.

steelpride12
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Here we go again :chuckle:

HometownGal
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I think Gary's right - don't think Jerome would come off as a credible writer if he kept those black 'n gold homer glasses on while writing this article. The ONLY thing I agree with him even remotely about is the OL.

KeiselPower99
09-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Does our Oline need work? Yes. But lets not forget the fact everyone dosent say. Last year we played top defenses all year long. And we opened up against a damn good one. Im not ready to say we cant run the ball cause I know we can. Coach Tomlin will fix this one way or another.

mmalone
09-15-2009, 10:03 AM
lol, he was obviously being sarcastic

Crazy man.....

if Bettis doesnt have a chance on this board.

i am going to shut up.... because for sure im in the wrong league on this board...

i can arm chair QB, but now the bar has been raised....

eeeeeks, where are my pom poms...

i surrender........ No critiquing allowed even for the BUS...... Wow...

http://www.sunflaremarketing.com/images/brucego.jpg

HometownGal
09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Crazy man.....

if Bettis doesnt have a chance on this board.

i am going to shut up.... because for sure im in the wrong league on this board...

i can arm chair QB, but now the bar has been raised....

eeeeeks, where are my pom poms...

i surrender........ No critiquing allowed even for the BUS...... Wow...

Y'know malone - you are your own worst enemy around here. :shake02: :coffee:

steelax04
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I just hope it doesn't take them long to have their "ah-ha!" moment and get things in gear.

CanadianSteel
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Pass blocking looked decent in the second half - baby steps here - and we can improve hopefully...

Shellshock
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree with all of his points.

desertsteel
09-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Bus is going overboard in order to prove he's not a homer...... blah blah blah

Steel Head
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Bus is going overboard in order to prove he's not a homer...... blah blah blah

No, he's trying to be a good non-biased journalist

The Lakelander
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
He said the same BS last year if I recall. :blah:

PalmerSteel
09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
i hope these articles keep coming out and the negative pub keeps going how our o line stinks and we cant run, blah blah blah. it will just be that little extra somethin to keep the offense motivated and hungry to improve. i dont think we have to worry about the D keeping their end of the bargain.

wootawnee
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Yea Bussie....Tell em like it his........Your going into the Hall in 2 years........You just gave all these homers on this board something to bark about.........You rushed for 13662 yards .......We miss you in the League.........Your are so right.....The line is run blocking like a bunch of pansies afraid to get any bruises like you did........Makes me wanna puke that they do not know how fortunate they are to be in the league, or for that matter even be able to walk........

Bussie we climbed a few mountains, ah the veiws........Lots of fun times........

Line ..toughen up......

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/scorecard_daily/2004/11/17/1117/lead2.jpg

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Crack kills, dude.

T Bradshaw
09-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree with Bettis 100%
Fix the damn stinking O line, fire the damn OL coach, bring back the old system that worked so great for so long.
No RB in the league can run behind this OL

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
While I agree with Bettis about the offensive line, no back can run if they keep blocking like that.

However, I don't agree with him about that defense. While Troy being out hurts, we can survive without him for the time. He isn't out all season, I think he will be back in four weeks.

In those four weeks, we don't exactly play a murder's row.

Chicago- Looked bad on offense. Cutler is overrated. Defense took a hit with Urlacher's injury. Their pass defense doesn't scare me.

Cincinnati- Hahahahahahaha, yeah, they really don't scare me.

San Diego- Um yeah, they almost lost to the Raiders last night, who played a very basic defense. Just wait until our defense hits them. Plus they might be without two of their offensive linemen. Their defense looks weak, and they would have been blown out of the Raiders had an actual quarterback.

Detroit- Yeah, Detroit, 'nuff said.

And if he's out a fifth week, we play Cleveland. Yeah, once again, not scared.

mmalone
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
i hope these articles keep coming out and the negative pub keeps going how our o line stinks and we cant run, blah blah blah. it will just be that little extra somethin to keep the offense motivated and hungry to improve. i dont think we have to worry about the D keeping their end of the bargain.

you think maybe bettis is thinking the same thing?
:popcorn:

our O-line was good enough to get ben 363 yards...

when ben runs the offense he tends to play his game, he is the QB.
the oline looks good. ben gets sack then because he wont throw the ball out of bounds half the time.

when arians is controlling the game he tends to force parker constantly and who knows what his plays are making the Oline do... then they look like crap.

my main question is:: How can an Oline that cant play... Play Good and get ben 363 yards and win the game in 1.5 qtrs then play Bad and look like losers for 2.5 qtrs. or vice-a-versa...

To me that is play calling not much else?? Bens no-huddle calls and Arians plays??

some one fill me in on how the logic is so screwed up over this??

or this senario

we can actually start a game and play 1qtr and look like an offensive machine and score at will. then shut down for 2 qtrs and then play again the 4th qtr and win.

i cant see how this is the Oline... it logically has to be the play calling...

or some type of drug use we cant see during the game?
:doh:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
mmalone, how do you know exactly what plays are called by Ben or by Arians?

You do know that quarterbacks these days do have these nifty lil radios in their helmets that allow plays to be called to them without the QB going to the sidelines, right?

revefsreleets
09-15-2009, 02:39 PM
mmalone, how do you know exactly what plays are called by Ben or by Arians?

You do know that quarterbacks these days do have these nifty lil radios in their helmets that allow plays to be called to them without the QB going to the sidelines, right?

I seriously doubt he DOES know that...

We're going 1-15...face it, the season is over...:flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I seriously doubt he DOES know that...

We're going 1-15...face it, the season is over...:flap:

Sweet, we can get a STUD offensive lineman then, and pay him more than a third of our salary cap! :toofunny:

7SteelGal43
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Everyone who said "it's only one game" is completely right. Too early to make a call on the season. I don't think it's over by any means. And there's no way Harrison and Hampton are in any way insignifigant. I don't agree that we have 'no chance' of winning the SB this year.

However, he's right that without Troy it changes the dynamic of our D.

And who would know better about the O line, OUR O line, than OUR H.O.F. RB ? Yes,we did win the Super Bowl with this O line and I'm very proud of them. However, they really do need to protect Ben better - I noticed some bright spots vs the Titans - and open some holes. His point about not allowing the back to even get to the line of scrimmage was spot on.

That being said :tt03: GO STEELERS........let's bring home #7

DISCLAIMER: the preceding views were merely those of an observant fan. I in no way claim to be good at Xs and Os or play calling.

Preacher
09-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Looke people... Enough is enough..

IMO, We ALL know the line has problems.

We ALL know that Arians doesn't ALWAYS call the right calls

We ALL know that execution is something that is so-so.

We ALL know that Ben is a great passer, and will take sacks as part of the deal to make big plays.

And we ALL know that our run game showed problems LAST GAME.

Do any of you ACTUALLY believe that it was either

1. Only Bruce Arians that has caused all our run problems

or 2. Our run game was bad ONLY because we played the Titans?

No? Good.

Enough with the scapegoating... Three years... First Bill Cowher, then the next year our line still played the same. Then Mahan, and the next year our line AND OUR NEW CENTER allowed the same amount of sacks. Then it was the FB and Arians, and last game, our running game was WORSE.

Anyone willing to admit yet that there is a whole combination of issues, including teams we play against loading 9 guys in the box (hence, 360+ yards of passing), top defenses we played, troubles on the O line, Troubles with FB's, troubles with RB's, troubles with coaches, and drafting low because we keep winning games?

Anyone? Please?

Beuller? Beuller?

T Bradshaw
09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
or 2. Our run game was bad ONLY because we played the Titans?

Well, it cant be the Titans because our OL played like shit all of last year and in fact many called it the worst OL ever in the SB, so I think Max Starks should stop making stupid excuses

It xant be the Titans because vs Arizona in the SB we had first down and goal I dont know how many times and our OL run blocking was so poor vs a below ave defense

Why was our running game so good for so many years and now its shit?
It seems our OL is too slow to run the current new system under Tomlin and coach Z, did not work last year and I dont think it will work this year, for that system to work your OL has to be faster and lighter, we dont have the players to run that system, its time to go back to what worked for us for so many years, after all, 4 of the 5 current starters came to Pitt under the old system, this shit does nto work and before it cost us big time get rid of it, its stupid to say just because we overcame poor OL play and won the SB on our last drive that all is okay, because damn it, its not okay and it will cost us this year, and by system I mean the blocking schemes.

No RB can run behind this OL, I cant blame the OL either, its on Tomlin and coach Z, whoever decided the change the system made a dumb decision because the players we had never fit the system

Psyychoward86
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
There's the harsh reality....

devilsdancefloor
09-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree with Bettis 100%
Fix the damn stinking O line, fire the damn OL coach, bring back the old system that worked so great for so long.
No RB in the league can run behind this OL

odd thing is cowher ball broke our hearts way to often BUT we had a great run game!!

MMalone you should cheer for your team, but i still think you are a stains fan to begin with. ALL teams have problems. The problem is either you are going to have a really kick ass defense & a so so offense or kick ass Offense and a so so defense. that is what the salary cap does to teams. Anyway i love the bus he is just being a journalist now he has to point out stuff and say crap.

BozMan
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
This problem isn't anything new, and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it?

Don't agree with the whole thing, but this part of his article can't be emphasized enough.

A big part of the blame for the running game / OL struggles lies with Colbert and the front office. The OL has been a glaring weakness for years now, with little being done except giving deals to the mediocre players that are part of the problem.

No team is going to be "perfect" in the salary cap and free agency era. However, Colbert & Co have had opportunities to address the OL in the draft, and outside of Kraig Urbik and Tony Hills, neither of whom even dressed the last game, what have they done?

It would have been nice to see even *some* of the following draft picks spent on OL (potential) upgrades instead: Bruce Davis, Willie Reid, Ricardo Colclough, Rashard Mendenhall, Matt Spaeth.

The OL has been neglected for far too long, and we continually pay the price.

Christian Snyder
09-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Sadly, I can't disagree with anything Bettis said....:noidea: But, I don't think he should say that about his former team.

7SteelGal43
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Sadly, I can't disagree with anything Bettis said....:noidea: But, I don't think he should say that about his former team.

Well, his analysis was spot on, but he didn't have to paint a gloom and doom picture for us after ONE GAME. C'mon Bus, we luv ya, don't break our hearts like that. :tt03:

BlastFurnace
09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Right now....after the first game of the year....it is waaaayyyyyy too early to say what this O'line or team will become.

Honestly, after the Philly game last year, I thought Ben would be on IR by week 8.

Let's see how this thing plays out. That goes for you to Jerome.

Steelers & I
09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Jerome is not E.F. Hutton so, whatever Dude :blah:.

JackHammer
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, his analysis was spot on, but he didn't have to paint a gloom and doom picture for us after ONE GAME. C'mon Bus, we luv ya, don't break our hearts like that. :tt03:

He was anything but spot on about our defense. As great as Troy is, our defense is still great without him. While his comments about Summers were true, it's safe to say there's some bias fueling that fire considering some of our scouts have referred to Summers as Bus Jr. I think that really chaps his ass considering Summers hasn't earned that title.

SteelersMongol
09-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Bettis can say about us whatever he pleases, cuz he earned his stripes. Besides, as 4 the first game vs. Tits, it was a huge test & V almost failed it. I'm not talking about D-line without Troy or Hines' fumble, I'm talking about the same thing Bettis was saying, our O-line was not where it was suppose 2 B. They could've made huge upgrades during the off-season, but it looks like they didn't. So unless something is done, V'll B singing the same song till the play-offs.

Steelboy84
09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
The Steelers are doing too much talking about running and not enough about it! I'm sick of it!

steel striker
09-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Look this is after one game alot of people around here need to calm down. Plus we all know the media will try to make this season to comapre to the 2006 season. Let's play a few more games and, then we might be able to see what we have in our oline. Maybe Bettis has been hanging around with Peter King and, other steeler haters at SI. I also know Bettis took some heat for not being more critical of the steelers last year.

markymarc
09-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Jerome Bettis is just trying to get some publicity for his SI work.

Preacher
09-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, it cant be the Titans because our OL played like shit all of last year and in fact many called it the worst OL ever in the SB, so I think Max Starks should stop making stupid excuses

It xant be the Titans because vs Arizona in the SB we had first down and goal I dont know how many times and our OL run blocking was so poor vs a below ave defense

Why was our running game so good for so many years and now its shit?
It seems our OL is too slow to run the current new system under Tomlin and coach Z, did not work last year and I dont think it will work this year, for that system to work your OL has to be faster and lighter, we dont have the players to run that system, its time to go back to what worked for us for so many years, after all, 4 of the 5 current starters came to Pitt under the old system, this shit does nto work and before it cost us big time get rid of it, its stupid to say just because we overcame poor OL play and won the SB on our last drive that all is okay, because damn it, its not okay and it will cost us this year, and by system I mean the blocking schemes.

No RB can run behind this OL, I cant blame the OL either, its on Tomlin and coach Z, whoever decided the change the system made a dumb decision because the players we had never fit the system

Um, according to Jerome Bettis, it was the coaching staff of Grimm, Whiz, and Cowher that started changing it in 2003.