PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me.

solardave
09-15-2009, 04:21 AM
OK I admit it.Hate is a strong word so let's just say I REALLY don't like the Patriots.
Put that to the side for a minute and here's what bothers me. Last night I saw one guy on defense hold up the return guy while the other guy stripped( actually tore loose is the better word) the ball. Where is the skill in that. This rule needs to be changed. I can see coming up from behind and knocking the ball out. But 2 or 3 guys ganging up on a runner and tearing the ball loose sucks. I liken it to hitting a defenseless receiver.Not only does it require no skill it is not professional. And I would say this no matter which team did it. Even the Steelers. I think it should be a penalty.Like holding. It pisses me off that not only did the officials give them the game by not clling holding on several plays but they allow this crap. Alright I said it. What do you guys think?

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Texasteel
09-15-2009, 07:34 AM
If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.

And thats the whole story of the game. A well played game spoiled by one dumb play.

When talking about the Pantywaists, hate is NOT to strong of word.

xfl2001fan
09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?

The_WARDen
09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?

No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.

xfl2001fan
09-15-2009, 07:56 AM
No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.

Thanks! I never understand why "professional" athletes don't have more situational awareness.

solardave
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!

1st&Goal
09-15-2009, 10:11 AM
You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!

I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.

Indo
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.

But they NEVER will because it's the Golden Boy's team.

steelreserve
09-15-2009, 10:19 AM

I bet you $500 that if he took a knee, the ref would've said he actually caught the ball at the one-inch line and backed up into the endzone on his own, and given the Pats a safety.

Anyway, I'm also pretty certain that's why he ran it out. He kind of hesitated for a split-second, looking like he wasn't quite sure whether he caught it over the line or not ... he probably ran it out just so he wouldn't risk it.

Still, come on. Hold on to the f***in' ball.

steelax04
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I bet you $500 that if he took a knee, the ref would've said he actually caught the ball at the one-inch line and backed up into the endzone on his own, and given the Pats a safety.

Anyway, I'm also pretty certain that's why he ran it out. He kind of hesitated for a split-second, looking like he wasn't quite sure whether he caught it over the line or not ... he probably ran it out just so he wouldn't risk it.

Still, come on. Hold on to the f***in' ball.

That's what I was thinking... if you watch the replays, he looked to see where he was in relation to the goal line (at least it looked like it) and thought it was too close to take a chance. As for trying to stay up and get the extra yard with two defenders on him... :noidea:

solardave
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Thank You! They also missed several holding calls on the Cheatriots.

fansince'76
09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Thank You! They also missed several holding calls on the Cheatriots.

That they called any penalties on them at all was amazing. After all, they're the most disciplined team in the league and never commit penalties because they have a SOOPER GEEE-NEEE-US coaching them. :rolleyes:

The Patriot
09-15-2009, 01:03 PM
That they called any penalties on them at all was amazing. After all, they're the most disciplined team in the league and never commit penalties because they have a SOOPER GEEE-NEEE-US coaching them. :rolleyes:

Come on, did you see Wilfork's "low hit" on the QB. That was called.

MACH1
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Come on, did you see Wilfork's "low hit" on the QB. That was called.

Sucks when your own rule is used against you. :toofunny:

AllD
09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
The ST's coach should have went over the scenerio with him before the kickoff. Also, he should have went down when he first got jumped on instead of grinding out for a few extra inches just to prove he was tough.

Sometimes it is that one mistake that costs you the game. Not to mention the very soft defense which allowed the Pats to march down the field after the fumble.

Pittsky
09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
what i hated most was all the patriots automatic first downs...anytime faulk or welker got within the vicinity of a first down. AUTOMATIC FIRST. when it was clearly short....not by inches even, by an entire yard or more!!! total bs

Ravnet
09-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Is it just me.

No, most Pittsburgh fans are similarly jealous :laughing:

xfl2001fan
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM

There's nothing in the rules that prevent it...and it happens at all levels. We were coached to watch for that sort of stuff when I was in HS. If you were on defense and you saw a guy get stood up...your job was to strip the ball. Take them down as a tackler...but if you stand the guy up...hold on so that your teammates can get to him and strip the ball.

It's smart football until the rules are changed. And while you say it takes no skill, try holding up a ball carrier that wants to go down or wants to gain an extra yard.

HughC
09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Mugging the runner, is STEELERS football. I used to love it when our guys would not actually tackle but hold em up and let the second and third guy take the ball away
Great point! If the NFL did follow the suggestion of the original poster and change the rules, we'd all be screaming about the wussification of the NFL.

The first mistake was on the Bills coaching staff to not consider that the Patriots might kick it away rather than go for an onside kick. The second mistake was that the return man decided to run the ball out. Third mistake was not simply going down as soon as contact was about to be made. Fourth mistake was on the other Bills that were in the area: they're all busy jumping up and down pointing their arms in the "we got the ball" formation, rather than trying to recover the ball; that allowed the Patriots kicker - their kicker! - to recover the fumble.

Better situational awareness, better coaching, game over.

The Patriot
09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
There's nothing in the rules that prevent it...and it happens at all levels. We were coached to watch for that sort of stuff when I was in HS. If you were on defense and you saw a guy get stood up...your job was to strip the ball. Take them down as a tackler...but if you stand the guy up...hold on so that your teammates can get to him and strip the ball.

It's smart football until the rules are changed. And while you say it takes no skill, try holding up a ball carrier that wants to go down or wants to gain an extra yard.

It's almost accidental when the defender manages to hold up the ball carrier and allow time to strip it, because when 250lbs wants to go to the ground, it usually can.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Great point! If the NFL did follow the suggestion of the original poster and change the rules, we'd all be screaming about the wussification of the NFL.

The first mistake was on the Bills coaching staff to not consider that the Patriots might kick it away rather than go for an onside kick. The second mistake was that the return man decided to run the ball out. Third mistake was not simply going down as soon as contact was about to be made. Fourth mistake was on the other Bills that were in the area: they're all busy jumping up and down pointing their arms in the "we got the ball" formation, rather than trying to recover the ball; that allowed the Patriots kicker - their kicker! - to recover the fumble.

Better situational awareness, better coaching, game over.

That basically sums it up.

solardave
09-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Mugging the runner, is STEELERS football. I used to love it when our guys would not actually tackle but hold em up and let the second and third guy take the ball away

I don't know what Steelers team you've been watching. I've been watching for 40 years and don't recall them doing this much at all. Steelers football my ass! We play tough blue collar football but we're not dirty.

beSteelmyheart
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Jealous of what, pray tell...Our 6 trophies vs their 3*? Jealous of exactly what? Please enlighten us, we are dying to hear.

steel striker
09-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I ahte the cheats almost more than the rats. Like Fansince76 said that game should have been over peroid! I would have liked to hear the media and so called experts if the cheats had lost that game. I'm sure they would have made every excuse in the books to defend those cheats. I'm shocked that Goodell has not fined the bills for playing a pretty good game against the cheats.

solardave
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
ravnet,

The ravens aren't jealous of the Steelers though. No not at all. They're also afraid to play them here on Monday night. They had to cry to the commish ( who by the way is rumored to be employed part time by BOB KRAFT!) I say part time because they only need him to make things go away. This is not about jealousy. IT'S ABOUT CHEATING AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!! We're not jealous. Jealous of what.That we can't have a copy of everyone's play book? You 2 (ravnet and the cheatriot) are pathetic.

Here's one for you.

A second grade school teacher in Baltimore told all the ravens fans to raise their hands.
All but one did. She asked this young boy if he was not a football fan. He replied that he was but he was a Steeler fan. She asked him why on earth he would not support the ravens? He said both of his parents were Steeler fans.

Then she asked him: If both of your parents were Morons what would you be?

He said a ravens fan.( or a cheatriots fan):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: