PDA

View Full Version : wow, we might have one of the greatist linebacking corps ever?

onefortheotherhand
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
top three linebacking corps according to NFL films

Jim moras saints
Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughan Johnson and Pat Swilling
all were very good players...but not great...nor did they win a superbowl

70 stillers
accounted for 4 superbowls 2 are HOFers

Giants...lawrence taylor..i dont feel like the other 2 linebackers deserve mentiong but that may just be me?

Our steelers.... lets think about this.. are they already better then the saints? i think so they've won 2 superbowls... What about the giants, i would have to say none of our players match lawrence taylor in greatness but he was the star in the group... we already have 2 stars (harrison and farrior) one 1st rounder looking to prove himself and a rising star in lamarr so overall i would say were better

now the big debate is, 2000's v.s. the 70's

SteelC7
09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
we do have a great linebacking group, but we need to do it for a long period of time, and the giants may have one of the best ever, lawrence taylor-HoF, harry carson-HoF, and carl banks, HoF worthy. but yes we have the potential to be great, obviously 92 and 51 are great, and lamar is getting there, and timmons has a really high upside

steelpride12
09-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Lets get 56 sacks this season and beat the franchise record of 55!

sharkweek
09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
The biggest boon in support of our LB corps is their high output in an era of ever excelling offenses...

BlastFurnace
09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
They aren't the best in our history. Don't forget the 1970's bunch. They were the best.

In my opinion, our best groups are:

1. 1976
2. 1994
3. 2008

HometownGal
09-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd have to say in all honesty that Russell, Ham and Lambert were the best LB threesome ever. :tt02: :hatsoff:

Different era, different rules.

That being said, however, the threesome of Farrior, Harrison and Woodley (with a side order of Timmons) are extremely talented and right now, I think they're the top trio in the league. :thumbsup:

Steelers & I
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I'd have to say in all honesty that Russell, Ham and Lambert were the best LB threesome ever. :tt02: :hatsoff:

Different era, different rules.

That being said, however, the threesome of Farrior, Harrison and Woodley (with a side order of Timmons) are extremely talented and right now, I think they're the top trio in the league. :thumbsup:

I agree, it's just very difficult for me to put any group ahead Lambert, Ham, and the third guy of your choosing.

However, the Steelers current group of LB'ers are VERY GOOD, definitely the best in the game today.

tyler289
09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Best LB corps in the league, and it's amazing how consistent the organization has been with bringing in great linebackers. No one can touch us.

steeltheone
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes talented ...just to soon to tell with woodley and Timmons

LVSteelersfan
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Gee, you listen to the analysts and Ray Lewis (Mr. back stabbin pileon) is the best linebacking corps in the league all by himself. We appreciate what we have here, but few others outside of Pittsburgh would agree. But we are used to that.

mmalone
09-16-2009, 04:28 AM
We have the best collection of players on offense and defense, overall.

thats why we win Super Bowls..

And we will win another...

The Lakelander
09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Carson, Banks, Taylor and Pepper Johnson were awesome! ... very physical players! But they didn't play together long enough as a unit. But they impacted the game and are among the greatest group of 3-4 LB's in NFL history.

Jackson, Mills, Johnson and Swilling were a real bonafide athletic 3-4 group and they had a huge impact on the NFL. They played together for 6 seasons at a very high level and put the Aint's back on the map.

Greene, Kirkland, Brown and Lloyd only played together for 3 seasons, but in my estimation they were absolutely the most physical group of 3-4 LB's in NFL history ... totally capable of demolishing an offense!

Ham, Lambert and Russell were the greatest group of 4-3 LB's in NFL history ... period! They were near perfectionists. They were incredible in the pass defense because they could be ... that front four was the greatest ever. But Jack Ham shut down the run with pure perfectionism. he was a great tackler, as was Russell. Lambert was plain sick!

Boulware, Lewis and Sharper were not in the same league as Ham, Lambert and Russell ... PERIOD!

And when Baltimore went to the 3-4, they never put the same group of 4 LB's on the field in consecutive seasons. So they aren't even in that discussion.

Indo
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
What!!
No love for RayRay?

I'm astonished!

(insert sarcasm smiley here, for those who didn't know)

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Nothing against the current group who I think is OUTSTANDING!!!...but in my humble opinion the best group of linebackers in history were

1) Lambert, Ham, & Russell ( 70's Steelers)
2) Swilling, Mills, Jackson, & Johnson (late 80's Saints)
3) Nitschke, Robinson, & Jaffey ( 60's Packers)
4) Taylor, Banks, & Carson (80's Giants)
5) Singletary, Marshall, & Wilson (80's Bears)

The Ravens LB corp of Boulware, Lewis and Sharper can't break this top 5...no way...no how.

Jury is till out on our current corp....but they are special.

Steel Head
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I think our group that went to the SB in the 90's was better

Greg Lloyd - Chad Brown - Levon Kirkland - Kevin Greene

jjpro11
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes talented ...just to soon to tell with woodley and Timmons

i am going to go ahead and say Woodley is a stud as long as he stays healthy.. four straight multi-sack games in the postseason has simply never been done before. he had a Pro Bowl caliber season last year as well. Timmons, we have to wait and see.

BubbyBrister
09-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Best LB corps in the league, and it's amazing how consistent the organization has been with bringing in great linebackers. No one can touch us.

It might just be something about this area. Steelers, PSU being Linebacker U, etc.

A hard-nose town, needs a hard-nose football team that has amazing players at hard-nose positions. Always had a ground game and good linebackers.

Although, the hard-nose part about the offense seems to be fading/has faded.

4xSBChamps
09-16-2009, 12:37 PM
They aren't the best in our history. Don't forget the 1970's bunch. They were the best.

..... somebody's been paying attention here.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Russell-Lambert-Ham.jpg

:drink:

Christian Snyder
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
We have the best line backer corps of 2009, but not history.... The 70's Steelers had the best linbebacking corps in history.IMO.

Ravnet
09-16-2009, 02:25 PM
If Woodley pans out, then you have an argument.

TheWarDen86
09-16-2009, 02:31 PM

:tap: wait, he hasn't panned out yet?

Okay? :noidea:

Steel Head
09-16-2009, 02:44 PM

LOL, okay

btw, James Harrison is better than Suggs will ever be

Ravnet
09-16-2009, 04:34 PM
btw, James Harrison is better than Suggs will ever be

Ohhh got me! Zing! Snap! Burn!

What is this, a competition? I was giving Pittsburgh credit without comparing anything, and you respond with some lame-ass juxtaposition that isn't even remotely relevant.

I meant to say that if one of Woodley/Timmons turns out to be a consistent Pro Bowler, then you may have an argument for a top 10 all-time unit if they can be consistent for a few years, but this post was likely made without taking into account other historically dominant units, and is thus rhetoric.

CPanther95
09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
The biggest strike against the current bunch: Too many teeth.

4xSBChamps
09-16-2009, 05:24 PM
The biggest strike against the current bunch: Too many teeth.

..... not-enough SB rings..... YET!!!!!

:wink02:

markymarc
09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
At this point, the Steelers LBs of the 1970's were the best ever. And of course right now Harrison, Woodley, Farrior and Timmons/Fox are the best in the game today.