PDA

View Full Version : American Indians ask Supreme Court to rule on Redskins logo

SteelersMongol
09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A group of American Indians who find the Washington Redskins name offensive wants the Supreme Court to take up the matter.

The group on Monday asked the justices to review a lower court decision that favored the NFL team on a legal technicality.

Seven Native Americans have been working through the court system since 1992 to have the Redskins trademarks declared invalid. A U.S. Patent and Trademark Office panel ruled in their favor in 1999. But they've been handed a series of defeats from judges who ruled that the plaintiffs waited too long to bring their suit in the first place.
A lawyer for the group says he'd like to see the highest court decide whether the Redskins name defames Native Americans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/15/skins.ap/index.html

Here we go. Not again. :doh: I thought they were over & done with this. I love that name & logo.

Actually when it comes 2 the pro football team name, I think the Americans could approach the court for New England's team name 4 ruining it forever & sue Bellicheat's arse.

revefsreleets
09-16-2009, 08:55 AM
We have a conservative majority (albeit a slim one) on the Supreme Court, which means common sense trumps PC...the name will stay, at least for now...

Christian Snyder
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Not this nonsense again!:puke::banging:

HometownGal
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Ughhhhh. Though I truly appreciate all of the things the native Americans have done to make America the great country it is, they're really stretching this one out of proportion. It's beyond ridiculous now.

MACH1
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
So their going after the redskins again and not the chiefs?

Indo
09-16-2009, 01:22 PM
What about the Blackhawks?

And will they petition the Govt. for the use of the names of the Blawkhawk, Apache, and Kiowa helicopters?

The NCAA tried to remove those names as well, but FSU had already negotiated the use of the name "Seminoles" with the tribe prior to the NCAA ruling...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Does this mean that the Fighting Irish and the Padres are going to be renamed?

What about the Celtics?

revefsreleets
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
PETA is offended by UC Santa Cruz's "Cruel and demeaning use of the Banana Slug as a college mascot"...

Free The Fighting Banana Slug!

MACH1
09-16-2009, 01:29 PM
What about the Patriots?

I'm a patriot and I'm offended by the cheating bastar$# using that name.

OneForTheToe
09-16-2009, 02:18 PM
This just in:

Mr. Hankey - The Christmas Poo, has filed a lawsuit against the Cleveland Browns for giving poo everywhere a bad name.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/7851/_1198024027.jpg

Galax Steeler
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
What the hell is the big deal it is just a name for a football team. I don't see why they are moaning and groaning over that bs.

billybob
09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
The indian heritage is very important to them obviously , i find it hard to believe that a teams name is damaging to their culture .Unless it is used in a slanderous mannor.
In this case i don't think that's true . The Cleveland Browns are really brown ?
Are the K.C. Chiefs really all chiefs? This suit could go on and on . I guess everyone wants some of the money the N.F.L.. has . Andrea can attest to that !

Vincent
09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Tradition.

My favorite part of this "Redskins" debate is when one of the "media" luminaries asks the burning question "What if there was the 'New York Jews'? Would you think that was 'OK' too?". Have we had that in this cycle?

urgle burgle
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
This just in:

Mr. Hankey - The Christmas Poo, has filed a lawsuit against the Cleveland Browns for giving poo everywhere a bad name.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/7851/_1198024027.jpg

you my friend have just made my day...