PDA

View Full Version : Timmons re-injures ankle in Steelers practice, Sweed hurt too

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I told him not to push it......I told him.

Timmons re-injures ankle in Steelers practice, Sweed hurt too

Wednesday, September 16, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons returned to practice today for the first time in more than three weeks, then eased off after his left ankle was injured again.

Wide receiver Limas Sweed also left practice with a mid-foot sprain. Their availability for Sunday's game is in question.
Timmons has a high left ankle sprain that was injured in the second preseason game Aug. 22 at Washington. He pulled on his uniform and pads today and joined his teammates for a regular practice, but "tweaked" the left ankle during the afternoon drill.

Sweed and Timmons were listed as having limited participation on the Steelers' official injury report.

Tyrone Carter, who will start for injured strong safety Troy Polamalu, was excused from yesterday's practice for personal reasons. He should rejoin the team Thursday and his status for Sunday's game is not affected.

Veterans Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were held out of practice as normal procedure on Wednesday.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09259/998584-100.stm

steelpride12
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
As limited as we see Sweed I want him to be healthy and ready for Sunday, he is just too much of a threat for us if he can hang onto the ball, and wow im just gonna rule Timmons out now I mean it is a HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN.

feuerstarta
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
@#$@#$#$#$ #$%##$ #$#%$#$%#$

Ok now that is out, I hope its not too bad and both guys comeback. I really like the improvement sweed has done. I think Sweed and wallace would of been our next two WR for years. Well atleast have the potential to be.

NJarhead
09-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I hope TImmons doesn't turn into another Kendrell Bell.

OX1947
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
High Ankle Sprains are a biznatch. He probably should have taken two weeks and done nothing until it healed. Fox covering him is fine with me. That boy is a beast, 10 tackles, yup, that will get it done for me for a back up linebacker. Looks like Foote was a little too quick on getting out of Pittsburgh. He could be playing right now.

CPanther95
09-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Carter will miss an extra day. He flew to the Vatican to get the Pope's blessing to replace Troy. But the Pope needed an extra day to fly to Ireland to get Dan Rooney's blessing first.

BlastFurnace
09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Sweed can be replaced by McDonald.

I wish they would just table Timmons until he is 100% ready. This injury was the beginning of the end of Kendrell. Let's give him the chance to heal properly.

stillers4me
09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Carter will miss an extra day. He flew to the Vatican to get the Pope's blessing to replace Troy. But the Pope needed an extra day to fly to Ireland to get Dan Rooney's blessing first.

Works for me. :applaudit:

Hamer
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Classic!!!
I hope they remembered to bring back some holy water to dip Troy's knee in (Greek Orthodocs do holy water too, right?)

Preacher
09-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Dang it.

I agree.. Timmons NEEDS TO SIT DOWN until it is FULLY healed.

:banging: :banging: :banging:

You just can't mess with those.

steelpride12
09-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Well Fox will fill in for Timmons just fine, he was the leading tackler in week one and Sweed can be covered by Macdonald, but I hope both injuries don't last more than this week!

tony hipchest
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
anyone remember vick and crumpler? we better get a ton of pressure on cutler or greg olsen will eat us up.

if timmons and troy are out, who covers him?

NJarhead
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
anyone remember vick and crumpler? we better get a ton of pressure on cutler or greg olsen will eat us up.

if timmons and troy are out, who covers him?

Packers had a safety covering him, but it didn't matter: Cutler was running for his life against the Packs version of the 3-4. Like Jerome Bettis once said, "Wait till they get a load of (me) us!" :chuckle:

Olsen may get a few catches, but it's Hester that concerns me more.

onefortheotherhand
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Olsen may get a few catches, but it's Hester that concerns me more.

I know Ike taylor (swagga) will limit hester to only a few catches :tt03:

feuerstarta
09-16-2009, 05:15 PM

hester himself limits his catches, he misses some balls.

NJarhead
09-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Ike won't be man-to-man with him all night.

hester himself limits his catches, he misses some balls.

I'd rather he have 5-6 catches for 50-60 yards and no TD's than that one 65 yard bomb to the goal-line or worse. I'm sure they'll take shots. I just hope Woodley and Sir James Harrison make them think twice about it.

BozMan
09-16-2009, 05:34 PM
What the hell...... Are we ever gonna catch a break with these injuries?

Fire Haley
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Troy makes it back on the field before Timmons.

Place your bets.

Steelboy84
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh boy, the injury bug just keeps coming. *sigh*

NJarhead
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Place your bets.

My money's on Troy....but I still hope he takes his time.

StainlessStill
09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Okay, that's two dynamic players that can change the coarse of the game within seconds, gone from our grasp before Week 2. It is now time to be smart, sit them and give the injury's the proper time to heal for the long haul. We will be fine, since injuries are apart of the game. Look at it as 2004, we had guys fall all over, it's our depth that sets us free. We will be okay and have these guy's back before we know it.

BlastFurnace
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM

Place your bets.

My money is on Troy as well.

Psyychoward86
09-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm a bit concerned about Timmons, but Fox should do alright for now. As for Sweed, two words: SHAUN MCDONALD

X-Terminator
09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
The O won't have Sweed, but they still have Ben, Santo, Hines and Heath. McDonald will be a nice fill-in. We'll be fine.

Fox played great against the Titans. No worries here.

For those who are bellyaching over Troy being out...don't. No, Carter isn't Troy, but I have full confidence in him to do the job.

Put away the Maalox, people. They can and will still beat Chicago. More talent and more depth.

steelreserve
09-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh, now that's good.

AllD
09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Don't forget Wallace is willing to step up.

NJarhead
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Don't forget Wallace is willing to step up.

Definitely. :tt03:

JackHammer
09-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Well at least it's early in the season...... Let's just concentrate on getting them healthy for the mid-late season and playoffs.

lilyoder6
09-16-2009, 07:44 PM
timmons shouldn't have forced the issue with him having the high ankle sprains.. those are very tricky and annoying to deal with... should went easy 4 a lil bit longer

JackHammer
09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
timmons shouldn't have forced the issue with him having the high ankle sprains.. those are very tricky and annoying to deal with... should went easy 4 a lil bit longer

The only thing Timmons can do is say how he feels. The team doctors know what high ankle sprains mean, and they know what the MRI's and X-rays show them. This was their decision, not Timmons. Hell, if it were up to him he'd probably be playing with an ankle wrap and a heavy dose of cortisone.

billybob
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
we know what M.T. would say .............thats the nature of the N.F.L...........our level of expectations do not change because of an injury...........someone else must step up and fill that spot . We strive to win it all . The next player has to step up.:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

HometownGal
09-16-2009, 09:18 PM
High ankle sprains are mofo's. Had several of 'em while playing college softball and unless you allow them to completely heal, a relapse is almost certain. Exercise a little more patience there Timmons - you've got a great career just waiting for ya bud!

I, too, want to see all that Sweeeeeed has to offer and I believe that to be a lot, but we have our secret weapons, Wallace and McDonald, ready to roll and I think we'll be just fine. :hope: :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
There are starters and starters in waiting.

Fox is a fine fill-in for Timmons. He needs to sit, and let it heal completely. He's not going to lose his job to Fox, he will be given his chance once he is HEALTHY.

Polamalu being out sucks, he is a VERY special player. But we can survive without him. I hope he comes back when he's healthy so he doesn't get re-injured.

Steelers & I
09-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Well at least the Steelers are on an easy portion of their schedule with the Chicago Bums and the Cincinnati Bums back to back. Actually, when I think about, the entire schedule looks winnable.

I look for both Troy and Timmons to be held out until after the bye week. Hopefully after the bye, Troy returns to action. Timmons, no big deal, Fox is filling in just fine.

Galax Steeler
09-17-2009, 03:34 AM
I guess we will have to wait a while longer to see what Timmons can do as a starter. Fox might even play harder to prove he needs to be starting somewhere. If he keeps on proving he can play good he will be looking for a good contract when his expires.

mmalone
09-17-2009, 05:00 AM
McDonald played the bears alot. so if he suits up it will be a good game for him.

Ben should have a banner day with the WR's

sharkweek
09-17-2009, 05:11 AM
What the hell...... Are we ever gonna catch a break with these injuries?

IMO we've been lucky so far; teams have already lost key defensive players for the entire season, the Bears being one of them.

Fire Haley
09-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Timmons in, then out

Practice held mixed results for the Steelers yesterday. Lawrence Timmons felt good about returning to practice for the first time in more than three weeks after a high ankle sprain Aug. 22. Then, he had to cut back a little because he said he "tweaked" the left ankle injury.

Wide receiver Limas Sweed left practice with a mid-foot sprain.

So, it appears that Keyaron Fox, who led the Steelers with nine official tackles in the opener, will make his second start at inside linebacker Sunday in Chicago.

Rookie Mike Wallace again will handle the job as the No. 3 receiver as he did most of the time in the opener.

"I tweaked it a little bit, but nothing serious," Timmons said. "I'll be all right; it's something I'll have to play through. The good thing is, it's early in the season and time is on my side."

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09260/998664-66.stm#ixzz0RORlSnRz

markymarc
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I say Troy and Timmons will come back the same week. Then our defense will get a double boost of goodness! Get healthy Troy, Timmons and Sweed.

FredScott
09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Yea even though I'd like to see the entire team on the field and healthy we got some good backups for these guys so we will eb fine till they can return. You can never replace a guy liek Troy but Carter is a good backup and will get us through the next few weeks.