PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

mesaSteeler
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09258/998199-66.stm

Ed Bouchette: Welcome to our weekly chat. I've performed all my pre-chat warmups and am ready to kick it off. Remember to follow the Steelers even more intently on PG Plus. I've already posted some stuff there this morning that I think you will like.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Good Afternoon Ed. Regarding the pass rush last week, was it my imagination or did the Steelers not blitz as much as we're normally used to?

Ed Bouchette: I saw no lack of blitzing. I also just added up some numbers where they had 19 quarterback sacks/hurries in that game. That's a lot.

In_Ben_We_Trust___: Hey Ed love your insight. I know it's still to early but do you think if the running game continues to struggle we will see Redzone Redman and if so how soon could we expect to see him?

Ed Bouchette: If the ground game continues as it did Thursday night, it'll take more than Isaac Redman to fix. I don't know that you will see him unless there is an injury. As for the running game, it has to get better, doesn't it? At least it has nowhere to go but up.

MPM: Will Lawrence Timmons play this week?

Ed Bouchette: I think he will, yes.

Jacque_Strap: Did FWP look tentative to you on Thurs. night? Granted the Titans played like everyone expected them to play, but even when Parker had a little space he was just dancing.

Ed Bouchette: He looked like a back running without confidence and, on other occasions, without holes. It's a deadly combination.

The_General: Hi Ed, Thanks for your time. In regards to Troy; Is this the same knee he has injured in the past? I have heard it was an MCL tear and a sprain, which is it? Was there any thought to having surgery and fixing the problem?

Ed Bouchette: I've been asked this question before. A sprain is a tear. Anytime you hear someone has a sprained wrist, knee, ankle, whatever -- provided it's a doctor labeling it -- there is some kind of tear involved. The degree of tear is important -- from barely to almost sliced in half. Yes, same left knee, according to Troy.

Israel_P: Ed, when Ben was drafted, he said he wanted to be recognized as the best QB ever - which won't happen with the Steelers. Ya think this no running game will allow him one year of 40 TDs and 4200 yards, just to shut up the critics?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know about you, but I would not concern myself with shutting up any critics of Ben Roethlisberger. Were they praising him at this time last season? Win some more Super Bowls and they will surely die off.

Holdin__Harrison: Ed, Whats the deal with Polamalu speaking for himself about his injury? It seems like he sets his own time table for return from injuries the pas few seasons. Does he meet with his own trainers?

Ed Bouchette: Well, I talked to him yesterday and all he did was confirm what coach Mike Tomlin said, which is 3-6 weeks. I don't see how that is setting his own timetable. And, even if he did, so what? I've seen many a player tell me he'd be back long before they predicted he would from an injury.

Steelerwraiths: Hi Ed, I don't know where to begin, except that I think the rest of the NFL is finally going catching on to the fact that we have one of the best QB's to ever play this game. Is it just me, or is Big Ben's precision (minus Wallace tosses) on the dime or what?

Ed Bouchette: It certainly was in the first game. Now, if he can stop taking 19 yard losses on plays in which he should throw the ball away, they might score more than 13 points.

James_Taiwan: Will the Steelers ever try to attack with the pass instead of often falling behind? I am not saying to give up on the run but to establish the pass and then try to run the ball.

Ed Bouchette: I believe they have tried that many times over the past few years.

The_General: Hi Ed, Is Willie Parker nursing an injury? He seemed to have lost a few steps. No acceleration through the few holes he had Thursday. Do you agree?

Ed Bouchette: Parker had "back spasms" early in the preseason and then came down with a hamstring injury. It's my understanding there's still a slight hamstring thing going on.

Jacque_Strap: On the 3rd and 1 late in the game near the goal line, would you have run the ball with Moore? You can only ram your head into a brick wall so many times, an unsuccessful run on that play pretty much seemed inevitable.

Ed Bouchette: You cannot pass on every third-and-one, unless you continue to get nothing running the ball. I had no problem with them lining up and sending Moore on that particular play. At least they weren't sacked for a 19-yard loss and still kicked a field goal.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Mike Wallace did a great job as the #3 receiver, has he moved up the the WR depth chart?

Ed Bouchette: He's moved up to tied for third. That is about what Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians have said. He and Limas Sweed will continue to share the job and be used in certain situations.

Katmandu: Ed, at what point do we use the dreaded "B" word for Mendenhall? As of today, I'm no longer 'feeling it" when it comes to Mendenhall. I don't think he's got what it takes. What are you seeing on a day to day basis?

Ed Bouchette: I pretty much see what you see because I think only the games matter. I would not give up this early on him, for sure, but you'd like to see something. Then again, no other back has shown much of anything either, except for Mewelde Moore's receiving.

ZACKB: Any Chance the Steelers sign a vet Tackle or Guard ... maybe Runyan?

Ed Bouchette: That is not something they normally do unless they are desperate because of injuries.

James_Taibei: Ed: Matt Spaeth is possibly the worst blocker in the NFL. How long do we have to see replays of Spaeth messing up KEY BLOCKS for losses or no gains?

Ed Bouchette: Spaeth is known more for his catching than blocking.

mesaSteeler
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Pappyjoe: Do you think the Steelers really miss the Dan Kreider type of lead run blocker for the running attack?

Ed Bouchette: I think their running game might miss him, but perhaps the passing game does not. They won a Super Bowl with Kreider there, and won another Super Bowl without that kind of back. There are more ways to get the job done.

Pappyjoe: Could Peterson run behind the Steelers line?

Ed Bouchette: I think he could run behind NO line.

Hines_OCHO_SIX: What about Ryan Mundy? He's listed as a free safety, maybe they can use him on certain downs?

Ed Bouchette: Mundy, like most backups with the Steelers, learned more than one position. He would be the top replacement at either free safety or strong safety at this point.

polamalu43: Ed, do you think the Steelers will win this Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: I picked them to win the opener, then lose the next two games. I know, the Bengals are one of them and that's certainly a shaky pick on my part. But I wasn't going to have them go 16-0 either.

Homey: Do you think the Polamalu injury was due to the Madden curse?

Ed Bouchette: Most definitely. What else could it be?

Hines_OCHO_SIX: Regarding the O-Line, do you put some blame on the O-line coach?

Ed Bouchette: If I do, does the offensive line coach then get credit for what looked like pretty darn good pass protection against the Titans?

stairwayto7: Ed, do you think that based on how the team plays that they will wait thru the bye week to bring Troy back so he can be healthy for the stretch run?

Ed Bouchette: I'm hearing he could be back in four weeks. If they waited until the bye, that would be eight weeks, Nov. 9 at Denver. I think you will see him play before then.

stairwayto7: Ed, why does it seem that we let the play clock run all the way down before the snap?

Ed Bouchette: Probably for the same reason that when my deadline is 11 p.m., I wait until 10:59:59 to send my story to the Post-Gazette. They're taking advantage of the time alloted. And if that's not the case, I think it's just it takes them that long to get everything called.

praveen: Hi Ed, read your Mendenhall blog item in the PG Plus site. Do you think the coaching staff tried to give him some "strong" advice on how to improve himself during his rookie year and it was ignored? Or did they just feel that it was not their place to teach a grown man his career obligations?

Ed Bouchette: I do think he was urged to come around more often last season and ignored that advice until the playoffs. I do know his teammates wanted him to come around.

bostonburgher: Ed, do you think that Fast Willie Parker has lost a step, or is the issue more with the blocking at the point of attack?

Ed Bouchette: I think there's a combination there, and remember, FWP is coming off a hamstring injury.

ARK: Troy had a knee sprain in 2007 and was out for 3 weeks. Is the current injury more or less severe?

Ed Bouchette: Yes.

Mile_Hi_Stiller: Will Moore start over Parker in the Chicago game?

Ed Bouchette: No, I think you'll see Parker start. That would be a radical move for the second game of the season, particularly since Moore also plays on third downs. Now, if problems with the ground game continue, you might see further developments.

DollarG: Hey Ed, if you were head coach, who would you start at RB ?

Ed Bouchette: Adrian Peterson. Oh, you mean Steelers coach. I would stick with my man, FWP, and turn to other options only if necessary.

BringBackLeeFlowers41: Ed, did Bruce Arians say exactly why he gave up on Limas Sweed or was that just by accident?

Ed Bouchette: I do not believe he gave up on him. As I wrote, he and Mike Wallace really are sharing the position fo no. 3 WR.

midas1212: Hello Ed, love the chats. Keyaron Fox appeared to play fairly well in the opener. Will he play again this week, or is Timmons ready to return?

Ed Bouchette: I'm thinking Timmons in the nickel and Fox in the run downs. But if they judge Timmons to be all the way back, it would surprise me not at all to see him start AND play the nickel.

t22post: Ed will you now say that the 2008 Steelers D-Fense is the best Steeler D ever and not the 1976 team?

Ed Bouchette: Hardly.

Steelers_1: Ed, we've heard a lot about the O line and running backs under performing...what about Larry Zierlein? Shouldn't he also be getting some criticism? Haven't heard much about him in all this.

Ed Bouchette: Do you think this line would perform better with another coach? Or do you think the losses of Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings and Kendall Simmons over the past few years might have had more of an effect as they try to put together a new line?

Ed Bouchette: Thank you again for your time and questions. And remember to try out PG Plus. If you don't want to spend the full year's subscription, you can always get it for a month and now's a good time for it with the Steelers season in full swing. Remember, you can only get Gerry Dulac's chat there (on Wednesdays) and I do not blog anywhere else but there.

First published on September 15, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09258/998199-66.stm#ixzz0RJCePlCP

revefsreleets
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Ed Bouchette: If I do, does the offensive line coach then get credit for what looked like pretty darn good pass protection against the Titans?

Ed Bouchette: Do you think this line would perform better with another coach? Or do you think the losses of Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings and Kendall Simmons over the past few years might have had more of an effect as they try to put together a new line?

Zing!

The Lakelander
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Zing!

Easy to say that.

I don't remember struggling this bad when Faneca got his first shot. Ditto with Hartings and Marvel. I know Simmons had his issues (diabetes and injury) that created for him some developmental molasses.

Let's be honest ... Max Starks has played in 2 SB's and has had 6 camps ... Kemo and Essex .... 5 camps ... Colon ... 4 camps.

These guys are hard-schooled Steelers now!

The running game sucks because ...1. we've played some really damn impressive defenses the past 20 games ... 2. our RB's are not real good at either picking their holes or making their own holes if none exist ... 3. the blocking schemes are ripe with breakdowns ... 4. the play calling in the run game has been suspect at times ... 5. INJURIES to the RB's ...

It's not one thing broken.

And when it clicks it will be a non-issue ... until the next time it blows ... then it will be an issue again. :chuckle:

markymarc
09-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I can't some of the dumb questions Ed has to field each week for his chat. No wonder he is so good at being sarcastic!

Preacher
09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
And when it clicks it will be a non-issue ... until the next time it blows ... then it will be an issue again. :chuckle:

Are you sure you aren't a government bureaucrat?

:laughing: