PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Safety Hopes To Inspire Local Kids

mesaSteeler
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Steelers Safety Hopes To Inspire Local Kids
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―
http://kdka.com/steelers/Ryan.Mundy.Steelers.2.1188212.html

A second year player with the Steelers is living the dream of playing for his hometown team.

Recently, Ryan Mundy went back to his old neighborhood with a message for kids on the midget league football team he once played for.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy went back to his roots recently in the Chartiers City neighborhood in the West End where he grew up in the early 1990s.

"I just used to ride my bike throughout these streets all day long," said Mundy.

When he wasn't riding his bike, Mundy was playing football for the West Pittsburgh Steelers. And he came back to the neighborhood with a message and some advice for the current members of the West Pittsburgh team.

"Just being able to have confidence whenever you're out on the field, going out there and knowing you can do anything you set your mind to," said Mundy.

That confidence took him all the way from Woodland Hills High School through four years at Michigan, one year at West Virginia all the way to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Mundy a sixth round draft choice made the practice squad last year and this year he made the 53 man roster.

He even got some playing time during the season opening win over the Tennessee Titans, but there was a time when he was just another kid learning the game.

"It seems like yesterday, I remember everything like it was yesterday - the game, how many touchdowns I had, who we played against," said Mundy.

So how did he make it from a city midget football program to the Pittsburgh Steelers?

"Before I talk about anything related to football anything related to sports, school is number one," said Mundy. "If you're not making As and Bs and making honor roll and having good attendance and anything like that - you can't do anything else in life."

Mundy admits strong family support helped him succeed. But adds that it's important to stay focused and stay out of trouble.

"Some of the kids I grew up playing football with out here are dead or they're in jail," said Mundy. "My message is anytime I talk to kids is you can do anything you want to do, but it's always going to be up to you."

Right now, the sky is the limit for Mundy and he says he wants the kids to know they can have the same future if they work hard and never give up.

( MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Galax Steeler
09-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Nice read on Mundy thanks Mesa.

markymarc
09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
That is a great read on Ryan Mundy and thanks for posting it Mesa. It was nice to see Mundy get some defensive action against the Titans. We should probably expect him to get even more while Troy is out. Kid is growing up fast!