View Full Version : Harrison dismisses Bo Scaife's complaint

mesaSteeler
09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Harrison dismisses Bo Scaife's complaint
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_643519.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bo Scaife took exception to the hit that James Harrison made on him last Thursday, which caused a fumble, and the Tennessee tight end recently called it a dirty play. Harrison's reaction? "I don't give a damn what he said," the Steelers outside linebacker said after practice Wednesday. "If I hit high, I get fined. If I hit him low, I keep money in my pocket." Harrison, who was docked $7,500 by the NFL for driving the quarterback into the ground in the Steelers' first preseason game on Aug. 13, did not get fined for his hit on Scaife.

Harrison may be a captain this season, but don't expect to see him at midfield for any of the pregame coin flips. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year skipped the one that preceded the start of the Steelers' game against the Titans as well as the coin toss that decided which team got the ball first in overtime. "We've got three or four other captains that can go out there and do that," Harrison said. "I don't feel the need to go out there." The Steelers have five captains in addition to Harrison.

Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend returns to the airwaves as he is co-hosting a show with ESPN Radio's Ken Laird every week during the season. The show will air from 6 to 8 p.m. every Wednesday, and it will be broadcast from Doublewide Grille on the South Side. Rotating guests who will join Townsend and Laird include linebacker James Farrior, nose tackle Casey Hampton, defensive end Ziggy Hood and kicker Jeff Reed.

Starting inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons practiced on a limited basis Wednesday in his bid to return from an ankle injury and play in the Steelers' 4:15 p.m. game Sunday against Chicago. Wide receiver Limas Sweed left practice yesterday with a foot injury, but it did not appear to be serious. Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) was the only Steelers player who didn't practice yesterday because of an injury. Coach Mike Tomlin held several veterans out of practice, including wide receiver Hines Ward, defensive end Aaron Smith and strong safety Tyrone Carter.

Bears starting outside linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa (knee) didn't practice yesterday because of an injury. Also missing practice for Chicago were defensive end Mark Anderson (toe), tight end Desmond Clark (rib), safety Danieal Manning (back) and cornerback Trumaine McBride (knee). Starting defensive tackle Tommie Harris (knee), starting left guard Frank Omiyale (ankle) and starting strong safety Al Afalava (shoulder) were limited in practice because of injuries.

Kicker Jeff Reed learned Wednesday that he had won AFC special teams player of the week honors. Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers' 13-10 win over the Titans last Thursday. His 33-yard field goal in overtime allowed the Steelers to extend their opening-game winning streak to seven games. Reed has kicked eight game-winning field goals during the regular season over his career.

Digits

9 -- 100-yard rushing games Willie Parker has in the month of September during his career.

15 -- Players on the Steelers roster who are listed at under 6 feet, tying them with the Falcons for the most in the NFL in that category

41 -- Players from LSU and Miami (Fla.) on NFL rosters for the opening weekend of the season, tying them for the most of any school.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

devilsdancefloor
09-16-2009, 11:30 PM
silverback has a great attitude! must be a class on attitude for Lbers at kent state

tony hipchest
09-16-2009, 11:40 PM
• Harrison may be a captain this season, but don't expect to see him at midfield for any of the pregame coin flips. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year skipped the one that preceded the start of the Steelers' game against the Titans as well as the coin toss that decided which team got the ball first in overtime. "We've got three or four other captains that can go out there and do that," Harrison said. "I don't feel the need to go out there." The Steelers have five captains in addition to Harrison.

:chuckle:

TRADITION- "i wasnt hired for my disposition"

steelpride12
09-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Classy guy who just keeps his mouth shut and plays the game!

OneForTheToe
09-17-2009, 12:03 AM
All things being considered maybe it is best if Silver back doesn't come out for the pre game handshake.

several veterans out of practice, including wide receiver Hines Ward, defensive end Aaron Smith and strong safety Tyrone Carter.

Got to admit that seems a bit strange.

Galax Steeler
09-17-2009, 04:19 AM
You have to love this guy and his attitude.:chuckle:

JackHammer
09-17-2009, 05:09 AM
:chuckle:

TRADITION- "i wasnt hired for my disposition"

Gotta love Greg Lloyd. Too bad he had to go sticking a gun in his kids mouth :noidea:

sharkweek
09-17-2009, 05:17 AM
it was a legal hit through and through, he shouldn't care

Preacher
09-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Ok.

Greg Lloyd, James Harrison, or Jack Lambert. Which one is meaner?

Personally, I think you put a blindfold on and just pick.

HometownGal
09-17-2009, 07:11 AM
James is a classy guy through and through, but I'm sure in the back of his mind somewhere, he was thinking . .

Hey Bo - how 'bout a nice cup of STFU? :chuckle:

Kicker Jeff Reed learned Wednesday that he had won AFC special teams player of the week honors

That's my Skippy! :applaudit::hatsoff:

Steel Head
09-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Got to admit that seems a bit strange.

Carter was excused from practice for personal reasons

KeiselPower99
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
What about the hit was illegal? I didnt see anything that wasnt a normal tackle. Bo should just shut the hell help damn sore loser.

43Hitman
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok.

Lambert no question. My favorite line of his is, "Yes I get satisfaction out of hitting a guy and seeing him lay there awhile":helmet:

memphissteelergirl
09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Ok.

:iagree: :chuckle:

Youngstown Steeler
09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Lloyd was a trash talker. He was always running his mouth and I loved him for it. I don't see Harrison doing much of that. He seems to play the game without going out of his way to talk smack or taunt people after big plays.

LVSteelersfan
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I love players that just play the game and keep their mouth shut. He does no sack dances. He just drills the QB, gets up and goes back for the next play. He doesn't showboat with his shirt pulled up before games. Sorry, but I thought Porter was a pregame a-hole. James is all class. Glad to see our special teams get recognition. With our Oline and RB corps in shambles, the STs are going to have to help with the field position game. Sepulveda and Reed are great. Our return game is actually relevant for the first time in years. This team just goes about its business with no showboating. They are great.

Steel Head
09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Lloyd was a trash talker. He was always running his mouth and I loved him for it. I don't see Harrison doing much of that. He seems to play the game without going out of his way to talk smack or taunt people after big plays.

Lloyd backed it up on the field. He was the most feared defender in the league for several years

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Is it me or is Harrison emerging as a complete badass over the past season and now one game into the season.

I am starting to enjoy it. He is the steelers version of a T.O. mixed with the badass-ness of steelers defensive football.

sike Jeff reed is the steelers TO haha. Sheets badass-ness FTW

kirklandrules
09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
My vote would be Lambert and Harrison for being the meanest. Loyd was a tough dude, but he did act like a cupcake in the first half of the Super Bowl against Dallas. Kinda like he was intimidated by the big offensive linemen ... he certainly did not play the attacking style like he did up to that point.

Harrison's decision not to go to mid field and shake hands is inimidating in and of itself. Can you imagine standing at mid field and seeing that the opposing player with the nastiest attitude won't come shake hands? It's like the line out of The Art Of War that says you win before you even fight and he's chosing to psych these guys out before the game starts ... in a much stronger way than Porter's rants and raves. I'm more afraid of the dog that doesn't bark.

SteelTalons
09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Ok.

Shame we can't have the three of them, in their prime, on the field at once... :popcorn:

Indo
09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Shame we can't have the three of them, in their prime, on the field at once... :popcorn:

I'd love to see that,too---but Lambert would be getting Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties on every play!

I loved watching him push other players back down on the ground when they were trying to get up, or pointing in their faces. I REALLY loved when Cliff Harris taunted Gerela for missing a FG and Lambert just grabbed him and through him down like he was a little rag-doll!

Ahhh, those were the days---before the pussification of the sport...

CPanther95
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
The only reason he doesn't go to mid-field with the other captains is because he has a fear of flying.

Youngstown Steeler
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Lloyd backed it up on the field. He was the most feared defender in the league for several years

Absolutely! Just like Lambert before him. Hopefully Harrison is next in line for that honor.

NJarhead
09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok.

Harrison isn't mean. He's just a beast.

Lloyd and Lambert? Their initiative was to inflict pain and fear. :chuckle:

....and no, I can't pick one. lol

markymarc
09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey Bo - how 'bout a nice cup of STFU? :chuckle:

Yea but then Bo would bitch that it's too hot.

SteelTalons
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Harrison isn't mean. He's just a beast.

Lloyd and Lambert? Their initiative was to inflict pain and fear. :chuckle:

....and no, I can't pick one. lol

http://www.pronewsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/james-harrison.gif

Works for me. :thumbsup:

NJarhead
09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.pronewsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/james-harrison.gif

Works for me. :thumbsup:

Yea, Harrison didn't do that because he's mean. Harrision did that because that asshole tried to take him out at the knees.

....For the record though, I don't care what anyone says about that clip, I'm glad he did it.

Preacher
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Yea, Harrison didn't do that because he's mean. Harrision did that because that asshole tried to take him out at the knees.

....For the record though, I don't care what anyone says about that clip, I'm glad he did it.

You know, I have watchd that replay a number of times, and really can't say it was because he was going for the knees. It actually looks like he is just went down to gain leverage (cutting at the thighs).

Then again, I don't think we have to apologize for anything Harrison did either. It was all open handed. He let the guy get up, and then drew back and pushed him down again.

I really am getting sick and tired of penalties because something "looks bad"

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Funny to hear Bo Scaife complaining about our guys making an illegal hit-- after the way Algi Crumpler did Polamalu.

I have no illusions about that hit, Crumpler was looking directly down at Troy's knee as he came down. Unfortunately, that IS FOOTBALL, and injuries are part of the game-- the Steelers and Troy can handle it.

Sciafe needs to grow a pair....

SunshineMan21
09-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Funny to hear Bo Scaife complaining about our guys making an illegal hit-- after the way Algi Crumpler did Polamalu.

I have no illusions about that hit, Crumpler was looking directly down at Troy's knee as he came down. Unfortunately, that IS FOOTBALL, and injuries are part of the game-- the Steelers and Troy can handle it.

Sciafe needs to grow a pair....

I don't think Harrison's hit on Scaife was the least bit dirty, but I also don't think Crumpler intended to injure Polamalu . . . in both cases they were clean plays that unfortunately led to injury.

NJarhead
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
You know, I have watchd that replay a number of times, and really can't say it was because he was going for the knees. It actually looks like he is just went down to gain leverage (cutting at the thighs).

Then again, I don't think we have to apologize for anything Harrison did either. It was all open handed. He let the guy get up, and then drew back and pushed him down again.

I really am getting sick and tired of penalties because something "looks bad"

It looks semi-innocent, but I tried to put my self in Harrison's shoes: It probably seemed a lot more intentional from his perspective than ours.

And I agree that his actions looked more violent than they actually were.