PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel when you miss a game?

BleedBlacknGold0
09-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I havent missed watching a game since my early teens. Its been about 10 years since Ive missed one. I always found a way to watch even if it wasnt on TV. This weekend I have to do a tradeshow and both CBS's are airing the Ravens, even the Harrisburg one since its a secondary market. I usually DVR when at shows and just ignore everyone until I get home to watch it but I dont even have that option.

I cant hit up a bar and I cant get Sunday Ticket where I live. However I will be able to listen on the radio on the way home for the 2nd half!

Which leads me to this question. I know its a very trivial problem in todays world but....How do you all cope when you know you are definitely going to miss a game? It sucks.

JackHammer
09-17-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't know. It's never come to that for me, fortunately. I guess I'd probably jump in the Mon?

Galax Steeler
09-17-2009, 05:12 AM
I go crazy I hate to miss a game. I try to find a way to live stream it on the computer. All I can say is good luck.:thumbsup:

sharkweek
09-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Living in Ohio, if I miss a Steelers game its because the local stations are showing the Browns or Bengals instead (or are blacking out the other time slots because of said teams), so I naturally feel enraged when I miss games and my hatred for such teams rises higher than normal on those days.

That being said, the internet is awesome and I usually find a stream of it online...even if its crappy its at least good for the audio, so its not unlike when NFL.com let you actually listen to the radio broadcasts online for free all those years ago before they got greedy.

onefortheotherhand
09-17-2009, 06:40 AM
first i yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

then after that i yell WHYY GOD WHYYYY

and then i text everyone i know for updates

Kaeg
09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
My cable company has me miss 1-2 games a year. (Usually just one.) Of all the luck, they didn't show the Bears game a few years ago in the snow when Bettis ran over Urlacher. I was real pissed for missing that one. And a snow game at that! I love watching those. Plus, it was a pivotal game. Last year I got real lucky and they showed all of them. I don't know what they will do for this year yet, but I may try online if all else fails.

SCSTILLER
09-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Unfortunately due to the military I have missed many a game, sometimes half of a season at once. It sucks! I did my best to get to the internet and try to follow play by play. Just do everything you can to see as many highlights when you get home and read as many articles about the game. I know it isn't like watching it live, but it made me feel a little bit better and somewhat satisfied my football craving.

Venom
09-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Living in NY , I love my Directv Sunday Ticket. If I happen to step out , Ill bring my laptop and punch in my Directv password and watch the game on it. So I havent missed a game in 7 years thanks to Directv !!!!

RJC
09-17-2009, 07:28 AM
havn't missed one since '94. i intentionally got married on the bye week....

Steel Head
09-17-2009, 07:32 AM
in almost 20 years of watching our beloved team, I've only missed 2 games because I was on a kickass vacation in Europe so I didn't mind at all.

HometownGal
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
I've missed a few over the years and every last Sunday in September, I miss the game because I am at the NASCAR race in Dover, but this season, I'm not going so I'll get to watch! However, when I do miss a game, I get very antsy and feel like I'm going to wig out. :horror:

steelpride12
09-17-2009, 08:52 AM
I would NEVER miss a game! No wayyyy. I live by Pittsburgh so it's easy for me to find access to the game anyway possible, but missing a game I couldn't imagine!

steelersfan782
09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
You could get NFL Game Rewind, which is where you can watch every game online but after it's finished, so it's pretty much like recording it.

Kvnfaber
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I haven't missed a regular season game in quite a while. ESPN offers text message alerts for every scoring play, as well as end of quarter scores and the final. I utilized that for the preseason :) Now it just feels nicer when I watch it on TV and then get a text 2 minutes later reminding me that Santonio Holmes caught a 34 yd. pass from Ben Roethlisberger. :helmet:

StainlessStill
09-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I've only missed ONE game in my life, and I didn't really have no choice. 2003, 3rd game of the season I believe, we played Cincinnati, @ Cinci. I remember this was the year Amos got the nod to start for the season. Needless to say, Jerome came off the bench and scorched the Bungles to win 13-10 if I could remember correctly off the top of my head.

The reason I missed, was because my Sophomore year of High School, instead of having a game on Friday Night, we actually had to have it pushed back to Thursday Night because our field was so bad from heavy rain fall that the game was pushed ahead. We had to get at least 5 days in since we played that Friday, so coach made us come out Sunday Afternoon to go through a walk-through. It didn't feel good whatsoever, but I had to do what I had to do and had no choice.

I came home in time for the 4:15 game, Philly Vs Cleveland. I'll try to never miss one again in my life. Crossed fingers.

stlrtruck
09-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Having a 13 year old son and a 4 year old daughter to distract me from things I'd like to do (like watch PSU and Steelers football), it doesn't affect me like it use to back in the day (when I was single). I would have done anything to get life game feeds (go to a bar, go online, etc). Now, if it's not on TV or I don't get out to the fan club to watch the game, I just log on and get the boxscore or watch the nfl.com stats while the game is going on, or I just wait for SportsCenter or some other show to watch the highlights.

slippy
09-17-2009, 10:49 AM
i've only missed two quarters of a game since 1989, and they lost!

it was the the end of the OT loss vs. atlanta when buress caught a 50 yard bomb and was downed at the one as time ran out.

stlrtruck
09-17-2009, 01:10 PM
i've only missed two quarters of a game since 1989, and they lost!

it was the the end of the OT loss vs. atlanta when buress caught a 50 yard bomb and was downed at the one as time ran out.

I remember that play (but didn't the game end in a tie). What kills me about the play is there is another WR or RB right there that could have pushed him in to the end zone.

steelreserve
09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Out in Northern California, we get skunked almost every weekend because they show ONLY the 49ers in the morning and black out the AFC game, then ONLY the Raiders in the afternoon and black out the NFC game. So you only get to see the Steelers on TV if they're the Sunday night or Monday night game.

I refuse to pay the obscene rates they're demanding for Sunday Ticket, so I've been spending a lot more time in sports bars. I mean, if seeing the games is going to cost me 300 bucks a season either way, I might as well do it the way that also gets me drunk.

When it's not a good time to drink, I'll try my hardest to get it on illegal streaming video, but that only seems to work about 2/3 of the time...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I hate missing games. I live in Cleveland so I do get to see a lot of games if they play at a different time than the Browns (plus the two games they play against the Browns).

However, I work at a gas station and my bosses seem to have me working second shift EVER DAMN WEEKEND this season. It's looking like they want to work me 2-10/11 EVERY FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY!

I hate my job.

MACH1
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd tell ya but I have it mentally blocked. Its been a good 14-15 years since I've missed one.

Just to tell you how far I'll go not to miss a game. When I got married I kinda planed around being able to watch the first game with the new clowns. We left on our honeymoon on Sunday to Tahoe, flew out of Boise to Reno. Got our bags gathered up, checked in to get our rental car, a convertible Mustang GT. Drove to Tahoe, checked in at Harrahs, grabbed some grub, went back to the room and watched a 43-0 mauling of the browns. And no the wife wasn't mad, she knew all about it. :chuckle:

sherlock
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Do any NFL teams have their own TV channels?
Here in the UK some of the `big` soccer teams have their own stations broadcast on Sky.
Being a johnny-foreigner,I tend to forget that because of the sheer size of the States many Steeler fans aren`t always able to access games!
I can see all the games via Game Pass...it cost $350 but it`s worth every penny!
For some crazy reason it`s not available to residents of the USA or its territories:noidea:
Justin.tv often has NFL and College games.
Tenyardtorrents is good for downloads of games also....no doubt these are words to the wise but just in case.....

RoethlisBURGHer
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I'd tell ya but I have it mentally blocked. Its been a good 14-15 years since I've missed one.

Just to tell you how far I'll go not to miss a game. When I got married I kinda planed around being able to watch the first game with the new clowns. We left on our honeymoon on Sunday to Tahoe, flew out of Boise to Reno. Got our bags gathered up, checked in to get our rental car, a convertible Mustang GT. Drove to Tahoe, checked in at Harrahs, grabbed some grub, went back to the room and watched a 43-0 mauling of the browns. And no the wife wasn't mad, she knew all about it. :chuckle:

:rofl:

You have the COOLEST wife!

sherlock
09-17-2009, 02:09 PM

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me MACH1! :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Do any NFL teams have their own TV channels?
Here in the UK some of the `big` soccer teams have their own stations broadcast on Sky.
Being a johnny-foreigner,I tend to forget that because of the sheer size of the States many Steeler fans aren`t always able to access games!
I can see all the games via Game Pass...it cost $350 but it`s worth every penny!
For some crazy reason it`s not available to residents of the USA or its territories:noidea:
Justin.tv often has NFL and College games.
Tenyardtorrents is good for downloads of games also....no doubt these are words to the wise but just in case.....

No, none of them have their own channels. I think a few teams wanted to try, but the NFL stopped it due to revenue issues.

A few baseball teams have their own networks over here. The New York Yankees and Cleveland Indians both do.

And the reason we don't have the Game Pass is because over here DirecTV has the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, allowed anyone who gets it to watch every NFL game.

hindes204
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately due to the military I have missed many a game, sometimes half of a season at once. It sucks! I did my best to get to the internet and try to follow play by play. Just do everything you can to see as many highlights when you get home and read as many articles about the game. I know it isn't like watching it live, but it made me feel a little bit better and somewhat satisfied my football craving.

Im in that situation right now, deployed to Kuwait...so far Ive gotten to see the first game, and they are showing Sundays game here as well, but who knows after that

steelerchad
09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I can't remember the last time I missed one. I thought I was goint to miss one in December of 04. I was getting married in Jamaica and the night before our wedding we were playing the Jags. I thought there was no way the resort in Jamaica would have the game, but they carried ESPN down there and I was able to get it.
That's the only close call I've had.

My wife has come to understand that football season Sunday's are off limits to any kind of function other than me being in front of my big screen or being at the game in person.

Mordax
09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
havn't missed one since '94. i intentionally got married on the bye week....

:tt: :toofunny:

no tv in my apartment so it's all either bars (which gets expensive...) or trying to find a stream (which gets annoying...). i've had to watch a few after the fact, ignoring the internet until i see it

NJarhead
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I missed last years Philly game (was in France on business). When I heard what heppened....I felt fine about missing it. Can't remember the last one I missed before that....Carolina preseason game in 1999??

markymarc
09-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I make sure that this never happens. Life is planned around Steelers games!

SteelersGirlTN7
09-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I make sure that this never happens. Life is planned around Steelers games!

Amen! LOL

I can't remember the last time I missed a regular season game? I have missed some preseason ones though. However, if it's in season, I'm usually in a bar watching the game here in Nashville. Sometimes, I will watch it at home, if it's on TV, but my neighbors probably don't like that LOL.

Preacher
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
I havent missed watching a game since my early teens. Its been about 10 years since Ive missed one. I always found a way to watch even if it wasnt on TV. This weekend I have to do a tradeshow and both CBS's are airing the Ravens, even the Harrisburg one since its a secondary market. I usually DVR when at shows and just ignore everyone until I get home to watch it but I dont even have that option.

I cant hit up a bar and I cant get Sunday Ticket where I live. However I will be able to listen on the radio on the way home for the 2nd half!

Which leads me to this question. I know its a very trivial problem in todays world but....How do you all cope when you know you are definitely going to miss a game? It sucks.

You do have another option.

If you have the Sunday ticket.. Get superfan, and watch it on your cellphone/computer. There is ALWAYS a way!

Steel-Bryan
09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
If there are no live streams and the games not on tv, i use the play by play on NFL.com. I've missed one game in 2 seasons :D and that was because i had a football game.

HughC
09-18-2009, 03:00 AM

I plan ahead by looking at the schedule and come up with "prior commitments" (wedding, etc.) so I have an excuse if I have to do something (tradeshow) that would possibly cause me to miss a game.

OX1947
09-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Last game I missed was the Hurricane game, Ben's first start. I couldnt watch it because they postponed the game and I was out of town away from a damn tv. I have been trying to find that game on torrent but cant find it, anyone know if there is a link somewhere, where i can find that game?

pancake
09-18-2009, 03:46 AM
I missed last years Titans game... (sounds like I didn't miss much.) That was the first game I missed since the Steelers played the Jags in their first season, which they lost... ( I think it was 95, but I do know it was around halloween)

stb_steeler
09-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Yeah tell me why CBS is showing the Ratbirds on CBS Harrisburg? Dont tell me this problems gonna start again....You'd think they would show the SB Champs first. :banging:

markymarc
09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Amen! LOL

I can't remember the last time I missed a regular season game? I have missed some preseason ones though. However, if it's in season, I'm usually in a bar watching the game here in Nashville. Sometimes, I will watch it at home, if it's on TV, but my neighbors probably don't like that LOL.

No kidding. Actually as crazy as it sounds I get upset when I have to miss a preseason game. Actually the last time I missed a Steelers game was when I had to travel back from Atlanta a few years ago. The Steelers were actually playing the Falcons and that was the game it went into overtime and ended in a tie. That was the last time and hopefully I never have to deal with that kind of pain again :chuckle: