PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time

mesaSteeler
09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/09/17/steelers-could-employ-no-huddle-offense-full-time/

Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time
September 17th, 2009

The Steelers could run their no-huddle offensive exclusively, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, but don’t because they are, well, the Steelers.

“We still want to maintain some Steelers football,” Arians said.

That presumably means establishing the run, something the Steelers weren’t able to do in a season-opening 13-10 over the Tennessee Titans. Getting the ground game going may not be much easier Sunday in Chicago even though the Bears will be without Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The Bears play the same four-man front that gave the Steelers fits last Thursday. If they are again unable to mount a running game this week, would the Steelers at least consider going to a no-huddle attack, much like the one the Buffalo Bills employed in the early 1990s when quarterback Jim Kelly led them to four consecutive Super Bowls?

It’s not that it couldn’t be done with the growth Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has made in the no-huddle while working closely with Arians in that phase of the game.

“That package has tripled in size now and it’s damn-near the whole offense,” Arians said. “It’s evolved to where (Roethlisberger) can almost use 80 percent of the playbook in it and he’s gotten very proficient in it. We’re not the K-Gun or Jim Kelly but we could be very easily.”

Roethlisberger, Arians added, is not the only one comfortable when the Steelers go to their no-huddle offense.

“A lot of times I’ve had quarterbacks who could play that fast but the other 10 guys couldn’t so you couldn’t use it,” Arians said. “The other 10 guys are playing at the same speed (Roethlisberger) is in the no huddle, which makes it works.”

Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.

There are no major changes coming in the running game – at least for now.

Willie Parker will start against the Bears. Rashard Mendenhall will play the third series, as he did against the Titans, and spell Parker when the two-time Pro Bowler needs a break.

Mewelde Moore will play running back in the no-huddle offense as well as on third downs.

tony hipchest
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.

we are rather efficient in 3rd and long situations.

so is the logic here that it is better to go conventional and be in alot of third and longs as opposed to going no huddle and putting ourselves in a bunch of 3rd and shorts?

the goal of a good running game has always been to average 4 ypc because that means on every three downs running, you hypothetically convert a first down.

however that same theory says you will be in 3rd and 2, a bunch of times. :huh: (thats short yardage, people).

steelreserve
09-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations.

Well, it's not exactly like we're tearing it up on third-and-short with a regular offense, big guy.

Anyway, I have no problem with them using this 100% of the time if it's what moves the ball. I've got to say it's pretty exciting too.

stairway27
09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree with steelreserve. The Bills had no success with no huddle, but they don't have the right QB. I've always said we should go no huddle with ben back there. It seems like that's when he's at his best.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, it's not exactly like we're tearing it up on third-and-short with a regular offense, big guy.

Anyway, I have no problem with them using this 100% of the time if it's what moves the ball. I've got to say it's pretty exciting too.

If we can't establish a running game and a near full-time no huddle moves the ball and scores points, then I am all for it.

And yeah, it's exciting. :tt03:

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, as soon as we go completely no-huddle on offense and Ben is calling all the shots, we can literally replace Arians with a cardboard cutout, right?

J/k-- I am not an Arians hater-- I just don't like his run plays at all. But...his name IS AIRians.