PDA

View Full Version : Will you still love Cowher....

Livinginthe past
01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
....if the Steelers lose against Denver?

Seems like alot of people are hopping on the Cowher bandwagon at this moment - will the wheels come off if the Steelers lose at the AFCCG point again?

Has achieved enough by winning twice away from home in order to deflect any criticism?

Will Pittsburgh come out throwing? Will they allow a team they have dominated for 60mins to have a FG attempt to take the game into overtime (Colts)?

As it happens I think the Steelers will win - the Broncos used up a seasons worth of big plays against the Pats.

Be interesting to see what people think before the big game.

NM

steveironcity
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
....if the Steelers lose against Denver?

Seems like alot of people are hopping on the Cowher bandwagon at this moment - will the wheels come off if the Steelers lose at the AFCCG point again?

Has achieved enough by winning twice away from home in order to deflect any criticism?

Will Pittsburgh come out throwing? Will they allow a team they have dominated for 60mins to have a FG attempt to take the game into overtime (Colts)?

As it happens I think the Steelers will win - the Broncos used up a seasons worth of big plays against the Pats.

Be interesting to see what people think before the big game.

NM
Of course!!! he grew up 5 miles from where i live! Gotta love your neigbors!!

Tim
01-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I've always been a Cowher supporter. I love the way the Rooney's do business. We've had stability at head Coach for a long time now. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a fan of a team that rotates coaches ever few seasons.

You look at the Jets now. How long with they give Mangini to turn the team around? If he does turn it around, but then has a bad season, will they stick with him?

I know that many fans and team owners view championships as the only barometer of success, but IMO, being competitive is just as important. I like knowing that every season we have a chance, some seasons we have better chances than others, but every season we're competitive. I think that's due to Cowher and the people he puts on his staff.

nu4everfan15
01-18-2006, 11:05 AM
he is one of the best coaches i have ever seen. i would still be a supporter because he keeps the team competitive almost every year, and that is wat i want.

drizze99
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't "love" Cowher at all. I lost faith in him after the 2001 AFFCG. With that said, I am impressed with the job he has done this post season thus far. His game planning has been spot on and he has the team playing their best football of the year. He actually didn't leave his balls at home this year.

I want to see a good mix from our 'O' to keep them off balance. I really think we need to use the screen pass more this game to keep the Denver D honest. They are a blitz happy D. You counter that by the screen pass. I also believe that Fast Willie will be more effective this game. I am a little worried about Jerome and his asthma with the thin air in Denver. I think Haynes may play a little bit bigger of a role this game. We also need to keep our TE's involved in the pass game.

On 'D' we need to stay at home, keep our lanes and not over persue them. Jake needs to stay contained and Denver is a slash type or misdirection type running team. They get you going one way and cut into the open. They have 3 solid backs that we need to contain. I don't fear their passing attack and feel that our secondary will handle things.

BB2W
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Seems like alot of people are hopping on the Cowher bandwagon at this moment
He's been here for 15 years and won more games than every franchise but the Packers during that time span. I doubt people are just now "jumping on the bandwagon" because he won two road playoff games.

Prosdo
01-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I will be disappointed, but I will still support Cowher. I think he is a great coach and can really motivate this team. He helped this team get to the playoffs and bring them back to the AFC Championship game when most thought they wouldn't make the playoffs after week 13.

SalukiSteelers
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I'll stand by Cowher as I always have. When, not if, he does win a ring (hopefully this season) it's going to be freakin' sweet because of all the (sometimes well-deserved) criticism the guy has taken. There's no shame in losing AFCC games to the enentual SB champs -- Denver and the Pats come to mind -- and I'm sure that if he continues to guide the team to the playoffs there has to be some reward. Of course, I'm sure that's what Vikes and Bills fans were saying when their teams made runs to the SB. Cowher's a 'Burgher all the way and I'll be loyal to the guy because who out there is a better choice to coach the team. Mike Sherman or some other retread. While it sucks to get close and not win I think that eventually it'll happen and that day is going to be a great one. Some of the same people who ride Cowher's ass will probably be naming their little boys William.

tony hipchest
01-18-2006, 11:41 AM
He's been here for 15 years and won more games than every franchise but the Packers during that time span. I doubt people are just now "jumping on the bandwagon" because he won two road playoff games. cowhers steelers passed the packers by half a game with the last regular season against detroit.

steelers, packers, and then denver are the winningest franchises during his tenure. i was reading thismorning how cowhere tried to get shanahan to be the o- coord in 92. shanahan went on to the 49ers and cowher settled on ron erhardt. that shows that even in his first year he knew to surround himself with great talent. it is his capabilities like these that make him a great coach. i think a hall of famer with or without the ring.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes,how many coaches have the resume Cowher has?Not many.

He's been very successful,though he has lost 4 AFCC Games...many coaches don't even get that far,much less to 5 of them,winning one.

I'd rather get to the AFCC and lose every year than to be like the Browns,Lions,and Cardinals every year.

drizze99
01-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry, I must be the only one who wants Super Bowls...

SteelerFanInCA
01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I would definitely be disappointed but at the same time there is no other coach I would want coaching our team at this time. Cowher's day of glory will come.

drizze99
01-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh, I know of one that will be exceptional in the NFL when he's done with the college ranks... Charlie Weiss

Tim
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
When people talk about Cowher and Super Bowls, I always wonder who else would you want as Coach and why would you think that coach has a better shot at getting us there than Cowher?

First of all, any new coach brings a new philosophy to playing the game. We've seen what just having a new offensive coordinator can do to the philosophy of the team and look where it got us, a 6-10 season.

fergusonat
01-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I won't abandon Cowher if we lose Sunday...but I don't think we'll have to worry about that

Ambridge
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Bringing the team back to the AFCC game after that three game losing streak when things were looking pretty dark and making the playoffs seemed out of the question I believe Cowher should get a lot of credit and praise regardless of the outcome on Sunday.

fireman205253
01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
It's nice to see that no matter who comes to the team or leaves the team the coach remains the same. Steelers fans aren't like the fans of other teams, in that they stick with the team even in upset.

Sharkissle29
01-18-2006, 03:05 PM
i say we open up with 8 passes on the first drive. they wouldnt expect us to do it 2 straight games, would they?

SteelCityMan786
01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Of course!!! he grew up 5 miles from where i live! Gotta love your neigbors!!

God will put a halo over your head. You gotta love your neighboors.

Milkman
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I like Cowher and I really believe that he is finally coming around as far as game plans go.

He used to always play to "not lose" in the past.

Now I think he is more aggressive and is trying to "win" games as evidenced by the call to go for the TD in the last few minutes of the Colts game.

patsdynasty
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
It's hard to ignore all the playoff loses. But I've always liked Cowher. I was hoping the Pats would pick him up after they fired Pete Carroll.

Sure, the Steelers are good right now. But some of the teams he got 11 or 12 wins out of were pretty damn awful. He seems to be very good at getting the most out of his players.

If he keeps losing playoff games, eventually, they will have to fire him. But he should beat Denver. Carolina is looking pretty scary, but it would be nice to see him finally win one. It's not hard to imagine John Fox outcoaching him in the Supoerbowl. Should be interesting

pitt
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I've stuck by Cowher from day one and will continue to do so win or lose.

SnowDog
01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Consider how many different coaches most teams have gone through while the Steelers have kept themselves in contention nearly every year Cowher has been their coach. the guy is money (as they say). I have been saying for a few years now that he is the best coach in the league bar none. Parcells is over-rated ; look how far the Cowboys have gotten in his three years there : no where. Schottenheimer proved to me 10 years ago he cannot get his team to win big games and is always a game away from .500 ball. Vermeils walked into a great situation in StLouis or he would always be remembered as a loser. Who's left? Holmgren? We will see just who is the better coach between Holmgren and Cowher in just over two weeks ... right?

The Steelers would have to have 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons before I ever thought it was time to fire The Jaw

Koopa
01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
well i don't like him right now so i guess, if he wins it'll just futher my argument, but if he wins i still won't like him

tony hipchest
01-19-2006, 05:35 PM
i was listenning to the afternoon blitz on sirius. a steelerfan called in and started ripping cowher. sheyne and randy cross just flipped. all the callers from other teams (including broncos fans ) were saying how crazy this dude was. the hosts both agreed that ben could throw 3 int., jerome fumble 3 times, and jake throw 450 yds, and some of the retarded steelerfans would still blame cowher.

win or lose in the next 2 games, anyone who calls for cowhers head should maybe consider firing the steelers as their team and becoming a fan of the saints or lions or even the patriots (there should be plenty of room on their bandwaggon after how this season ended).

fact is cowher is going nowhere soon unless he just up and quits. i doubt this is even an option in his book. he didnt let the steelers quit when they were 7-5 and on the outside looking in on the playoffs.

if cowher does win it all, he wont get no credit, he wont want or need any credit and you can rest assured he wont accept any credit. he will be the first to credit the rooneys and the great group of players they have assembled.

Hammer67
01-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I must be the only one who wants Super Bowls...

Everyone wants Super Bowls but consistent winning seasons and deep playoff runs are just as important. Trust me...I would rather have a coach that wins like Cowher and at least play in AFC championship games for a chance to go to the SB. He will get there if he keeps knocking on the door.

REMEMBER!!!

He had Kordell Stewart for two of his AFC championship losses and a Rookie QB for one of the others. Give the guy a break!!!

matt314hew
01-19-2006, 07:16 PM
no, i am going to go and throw flaming garbage at his house. [/sarcasm]

Ok course i will still love Cowher. How many other coaches have been to 6 championship games in 14 years? That just shows that he knows how to have great teams. just because we have only won 1 afc champ out of 5, doesn't mean cowher is a bad coach. Why the hell would anyone not like him if they lose? I guess the pats fans are hating BB because of the loss.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I obviously will be disappointed if the Steelers lose Sunday, but since the Steelers finally had an upset win in the playoffs over the Colts I am no longer among those who believe Cowher is consistently outcoached in the playoffs. Maybe because he is on the road, Cowher appears to be playing to win rather than playing not to lose this time.

2 of the 4 AFC championship losses were to inferior teams (1994 Chargers & 2001 Patriots). 2 of the 4 losses were to better teams (1997 Denver whom we beat the month before but who had Elway while we had Kordell in full meltdown mode & 2004 Pats).

Steeler QBs in those 4 games were O'Donnell, Kordell twice, and a burned out rookie Ben. San Diego was the only game the Steelers were not outmatched at QB, which is a big problem when you play against the better defenses in the playoffs.

I do not love Cowher but I will still be glad he is the Steelers HC if they lose Sunday, in a game where they will not be outmatched at QB.

Other than Belichek I cannot think of a coach who would require less effort to get another job if he told the Rooneys he was done in Pittsburgh and wanted to move on. Since we are presumably not getting Belichek whom would you rather have as the Steelers coach?

Other than the Pats most franchises would kill to have 10 playoff and 6 AFC championship appearances in 14 years.

I am a big college B'ball fan and am hoping Cowher will be like Dean Smith and Coach K, who had numerous NCAA Tournament disappointments before finally winning it all multiple times.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Cowher is finally showing in the playoffs what we all hoped he'd show.. we havent seen this kinda determination in the post season since our SB w/ Dallas when he onsides kicked and we shoulda won that game.

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I'll still back him.

StillerPaul
01-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Everyone wants Super Bowls but consistent winning seasons and deep playoff runs are just as important. Trust me...I would rather have a coach that wins like Cowher and at least play in AFC championship games for a chance to go to the SB. He will get there if he keeps knocking on the door.

REMEMBER!!!

He had Kordell Stewart for two of his AFC championship losses and a Rookie QB for one of the others. Give the guy a break!!!

Thats what i'm hangin' my hat on, Hammer. He gets a pass from me until he proves he can't win with a fully developed Ben. He finally has that franchise QB now, winning a SB should come soon (hopefully this year). :cheers:

melroseplace
01-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I like Cowher...he has his moments where I don't understand his decisions or I want to strangle him lol but overall I like and respect him

Livinginthe past
01-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I like Cowher...he has his moments where I don't understand his decisions or I want to strangle him lol but overall I like and respect him

Hey - it aint love if you dont want to throttle em now and then!

NM

clevestinks
01-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Cowher is King! I support this guy all the way, and he will get the monkey off his back! NOW

3 to be 4
01-20-2006, 04:38 PM
he is one of the best coaches i have ever seen. i would still be a supporter because he keeps the team competitive almost every year, and that is wat i want.

yeah, Championships, pffffffft:bouncy:

SteelerzGirl
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I will still love Cowher and the Pittsburgh Steelers whether they win or lose. I have always stood, and will continue to stand, beside them through the good times and the bad. :bouncy: That doesn't mean that I don't get mad at them at times, though...(lol).

clevestinks
01-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Cowher is as Pittsburgh as they come. and he represents us to perfection. That chin is as hard as steel. Cowher forever!

Mr. Clean
01-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I respect the job Bill Cowher has done in Pittsburgh. Nine playoff seasons, seven division championships, a Super Bowl appearance - with players like Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at quarterback. Cowher assistants who have been hied for head coaching jobs include Dom Capers, Chan Gainey, Jim Haslett, Mike Mularkey and Richard (Bad Word) LeBeau. They have not achieved the results Cowher has because none of those men coached a team with management as solid as the Steelers.

I want a Super Bowl championship, too. Heck, we all do!
So does Cowher. Occasionally, though rare, doe a team with an average quarterback win a Super Bowl. Pittsburgh now has the franchise quarterback that has been lacking since Terry Bradshaw couldn't play anymore. It's coming. If not this year, then soon - and this year is as good an opportunity as any.